Does anyone here hate the liberal arts as much as me?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Athavan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Athavan123
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Why do students who want to go into mathematics have to know about edgar allan poe?! What the hell?! Why does someone who's crunching numbers need to know anything about symbolism and crap? My god, what a waste. In colleges in india, Britain, etc. they just make you study what you need to study. here they make you to take garbage classes like anthropology, english comp, philosophy, etc. When in actuality, you will NEVER need these skills to do what you want to do in life.

delol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 delol
Member since 2005 • 8793 Posts

To know about something must be add whit to know about a lot of things .The contary we will produce stupid scientists

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts

Why do students who want to go into mathematics have to know about edgar allan poe?! What the hell?! Why does someone who's crunching numbers need to know anything about symbolism and crap? My god, what a waste. In colleges in india, Britain, etc. they just make you study what you need to study. here they make you to take garbage classes like anthropology, english comp, philosophy, etc. When in actuality, you will NEVER need these skills to do what you want to do in life.

Athavan123

Its called being a well rounded and educated person.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I too have a problem with requiring classes(in high-school and college) that a student may not want to take because they already know what they want to do.

Someone who wants to study English shouldn't have to go through Mathematics, and someone who wants to study Mathematics shouldn't have to English. The basics should be taught throughout highschool and that's it. College should be completely about what the student wants to study built around their chosen major.

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
I'm studying Liberal Arts, so no.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Athavan123

Why do liberal arts students have to take math? For the same reason math students have to take liberal arts, because it makes them more well-rounded individuals and students. And yes, liberal arts can definitely help you in life. Philosophy, psychology, sociology all have real life application. I'm sure you coiuld make an argument for anthro as well, but I'm not an anthropologist. It can at least help you have a better appreciation of different cultures.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

I like learning for the sake of learning. I know that's not everyone's POV when approaching college, some prefer a more practical and specific curriculum, but I enjoyed the compulsory perspective. Would not have settled on the major I did were it not for the broad prereqs.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
"There is nothing so stupid as the educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated in" - Will Rodgers
Kiyomizu_DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kiyomizu_DS
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

I'm studying Liberal Arts, so no.lancelot200

Yeah, same.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

"There is nothing so stupid as the educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated in" - Will Rodgers limpbizkit818
Off topic, but you have one of the greatest avatars in OT.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

[QUOTE="Athavan123"]

AiurProtoss

well said
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I dont hate them, but I think there needs to be more emphasis on math and science. With all this talk about unemployment, there are thousands of jobs where employers cant find enough people to hire. Mainly because graduating US seniors dont have the math and science background necessary. If you want to get a job, learn something useful.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I could be entirely wrong but University used to be a place where the extremely smart went to learn. Not just learn what they have to to get a degree but to just become more learned people in general. I know University and College have become extremely objective oriented and most have a "get my degree and get out, with some partying on the side" mentality to it but I feel the ultimate goal was the create a group of people who were very educated in general but with a specialty as well. That quote from Will Rogers above, I feel that University should avoid an outcome like that. Not saying going to University or college for a degree and only wanting that degree is really "bad" mind you, you're trying to get a better life overall and that's always good. But I think you should go into University wanting to learn many things rather than just what you signed up for.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I think it's BS that we only teach the liberal arts. Why can't we teach art done by conservatives as well?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theone86

I dont hate them, but I think there needs to be more emphasis on math and science. With all this talk about unemployment, there are thousands of jobs where employers cant find enough people to hire. Mainly because graduating US seniors dont have the math and science background necessary. If you want to get a job, learn something useful.

sonicare

Who says a bigger emphasis on liberal arts can't improve math and science? You know calculus was invented by a philospopher? Besides, we're talking about college mostly, people typically know by college if they're good at math and science or not. ALso, many fields of liberal arts, such as psychology,study learning and can help devise ways to imrpove math and science scores.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Reading a little Edgar Allan Poe never hurt anyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

theone86

Who says a bigger emphasis on liberal arts can't improve math and science? You know calculus was invented by a philospopher? Besides, we're talking about college mostly, people typically know by college if they're good at math and science or not. ALso, many fields of liberal arts, such as psychology,study learning and can help devise ways to imrpove math and science scores.

I thought Newton invented calculus to help explain physics. But regardless, there's too many people majoring in things like criminal justice, english, etc. and not enough people going into math and science fields. At least in employment terms, those fields are majorly under utilized.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
In math, you learn how to deal with things that are black and white, right and wrong. With the liberal arts you dabble with the abstract and gradational aspects of life (y'know..like everything in life that isn't your math-based job). This helps you become well-rounded. If you just wanted to learn math, I'm sure you could have gone to a trade school or vocational school to get a specialized degree of some sort. Universities aim to produce versatile students. Soo..you need more than just one or the other.
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
I'd kinda like your system tbh, having a wide range of knowledge sounds much more interesting than just studying the same thing over and over
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]"There is nothing so stupid as the educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated in" - Will Rodgers cybrcatter

Off topic, but you have one of the greatest avatars in OT.

Ha, thanks. I have had Costanza up there for years and I see no reason to replace him.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Reading a little Edgar Allan Poe never hurt anyone. -Sun_Tzu-
Nevermore?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

sonicare

I thought Newton invented calculus to help explain physics. But regardless, there's too many people majoring in things like criminal justice, english, etc. and not enough people going into math and science fields. At least in employment terms, those fields are majorly under utilized.

And Newton was somewhat of a philospher himself, a testament to how one-dimensional our thinking about math and science has become. They're not mutally exclusive with the liberal arts, but somehow we've lost sight of that. I was talking about, though, how the invention of calculus was dependent on mathematical discoveries made by René Descartes. As for employment terms, perhaps they are underutuilized, but how much of that is college's fault and how much is grade and high school's? And as I said, a lot of people are studying liberal arts programs in order to go into fields like education and help further the fields of math and science.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
I think it's BS that we only teach the liberal arts. Why can't we teach art done by conservatives as well?chessmaster1989
Agreed, it seems pretty biased to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

And Newton was somewhat of a philospher himself, a testament to how one-dimensional our thinking about math and science has become. They're not mutally exclusive with the liberal arts, but somehow we've lost sight of that. I was talking about, though, how the invention of calculus was dependent on mathematical discoveries made by René Descartes. As for employment terms, perhaps they are underutuilized, but how much of that is college's fault and how much is grade and high school's? And as I said, a lot of people are studying liberal arts programs in order to go into fields like education and help further the fields of math and science.

I'm not saying liberal arts is bad. I'm saying there are not enough people going into math and science fields. Our nation is getting massively dumber in that regard. Too many people going non science fields and therefore no one able to fill all the job positions requiring that.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Philosophy teaches you how to think abstractly and come to conclusions logically. It teaches you how to start from the beginning rather than the end. English teaches you how to properly read and interpret what you are reading. Also, nobody give a crap if you can find a derivative, but if you can quote and author you're considered a brilliant person. Knowledge is never wasted. You can always apply gathered knowledge into various situations.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cd_rom

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] I thought Newton invented calculus to help explain physics. But regardless, there's too many people majoring in things like criminal justice, english, etc. and not enough people going into math and science fields. At least in employment terms, those fields are majorly under utilized.

sonicare

I'm not saying liberal arts is bad. I'm saying there are not enough people going into math and science fields. Our nation is getting massively dumber in that regard. Too many people going non science fields and therefore no one able to fill all the job positions requiring that.

I find the exact opposite is happening. There are too many morons entering the math and science fields and they're filling jobs that they don't deserve.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] I thought Newton invented calculus to help explain physics. But regardless, there's too many people majoring in things like criminal justice, english, etc. and not enough people going into math and science fields. At least in employment terms, those fields are majorly under utilized.

sonicare

And what have we done about it? We've increased our focus on math and science, decreased our focus on english programs, and it's only gotten worse. Like someone just said, philosophy helps people think abstractly and logically, if you increase the focus in high school on philosophy you could probably improve the performance in math adn science.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
I find the exact opposite is happening. There are too many morons entering the math and science fields and they're filling jobs that they don't deserve.cd_rom
I agree. It seems like people are going into math and science because they think they're good with math and science. In reality they're just chasing well-paying jobs. They mistake their disdain for (and inability of) writing and reading and their deep-rooted greed for being a "math person" or a "science person." These are also the people that tend to devalue the liberal arts because they don't pay as well.
Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

I think it's BS that we only teach the liberal arts. Why can't we teach art done by conservatives as well?chessmaster1989
:lol:

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Athavan123"]

AiurProtoss

This. It doesn't make sense to go into college, simply getting really educated about one thing.

Avatar image for HomicidalCherry
HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HomicidalCherry
Member since 2009 • 959 Posts

Broadness is important. College isn't about getting a job, it's about learning and even if you're a math major, english courses do teach you important things. You're not going to use them every day necessarily but they make you a more rounded, intelligent person.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#32 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Philosophy is very valuable. I wouldn't employ anyone that disagreed.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Philosophy and English are rather practical and I've run across a subject or two I ended up liking in the gen ed reqs.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#34 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

I'd kinda like your system tbh, having a wide range of knowledge sounds much more interesting than just studying the same thing over and overWolls
An example: Why waste two years learning the basics, basics that won't get me anywhere with the language I don't want to learn but have to because of the schools requirements and their limited choices, when I could've put my foot on a much more desired field sooner and not wait until now? It seriously pisses a lot of students here off and even more so when they're told they need to know it. Then it leads to some even not bothering at all or not retaining said knowledge they've apparently gained.

Broadness is important. College isn't about getting a job, it's about learning and even if you're a math major, english courses do teach you important things. You're not going to use them every day necessarily but they make you a more rounded, intelligent person.

HomicidalCherry

And that would be fine if college was free and you weren't for example unable to get this science degree and you're going to get kicked out because of some comepletely unrealated klass that you weren't doing well in.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#35 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
And that would be fine if college was free and you weren't for example unable to get this science degree and you're going to get kicked out because of some comepletely unrealated klass that you weren't doing well in.SparkyProtocol
Sounds like a problem with American education than the Liberal Arts. In the UK, all courses relate to your major.
ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts
Liberal arts = gentlemen who can solve 75 percent of your problems because reason connects the arts. Whereas who on OT know what a gentleman is?
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cd_rom
Another application of college is it's supposed to help show you who you are. I know have a large interest in art because I was forced to take a studio art class. It never occurred to me to do anything in the field. I've never drawn in my life or really created anything physical. I took the drawing class because I had to. After that, I took drawing 2, wood sculpting, metal sculpting, and painting. Then I learned how much I ****ing hate painting, but I love sculpting.
Jph625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jph625
Member since 2009 • 1046 Posts

Oh no! Must reject intelligence!

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#39 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Reading a little Edgar Allan Poe never hurt anyone. -Sun_Tzu-
Not true at all. I got a paper cut reading the Tell Tale Heart :|

Athavan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Athavan123
[QUOTE="cd_rom"]Philosophy teaches you how to think abstractly and come to conclusions logically. It teaches you how to start from the beginning rather than the end. English teaches you how to properly read and interpret what you are reading. Also, nobody give a crap if you can find a derivative, but if you can quote and author you're considered a brilliant person. Knowledge is never wasted. You can always apply gathered knowledge into various situations.

Any idiot can memorize a quote and spit it out to impress someone. However, to be able to use derivatives in real life situations and solve problems in this way, requires much greater intellect. I personally don't like the liberal arts, but some people do and that's completely fine. In the end, for people going into engineering, insurance, finance, etc., they don't need to take heavy english courses that tell you to find the symbolism in a flower. Even for doctors, they should merely be eloquent and readily understood by their patients. Even they don't need to learn about edgar allan poe's fluff.
Athavan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Athavan123
[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"]And that would be fine if college was free and you weren't for example unable to get this science degree and you're going to get kicked out because of some comepletely unrealated klass that you weren't doing well in.SolidSnake35
Sounds like a problem with American education than the Liberal Arts. In the UK, all courses relate to your major.

exactly, and that's the way it should be in America. If you like liberal arts, cool, awesome, but it shouldn't be forced down the throats of those who want to do something more technical in life. but hey, that's how colleges make money, making you pay for useless classes here
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theone86

[QUOTE="cd_rom"]Philosophy teaches you how to think abstractly and come to conclusions logically. It teaches you how to start from the beginning rather than the end. English teaches you how to properly read and interpret what you are reading. Also, nobody give a crap if you can find a derivative, but if you can quote and author you're considered a brilliant person. Knowledge is never wasted. You can always apply gathered knowledge into various situations.Athavan123
Any idiot can memorize a quote and spit it out to impress someone. However, to be able to use derivatives in real life situations and solve problems in this way, requires much greater intellect. I personally don't like the liberal arts, but some people do and that's completely fine. In the end, for people going into engineering, insurance, finance, etc., they don't need to take heavy english courses that tell you to find the symbolism in a flower. Even for doctors, they should merely be eloquent and readily understood by their patients. Even they don't need to learn about edgar allan poe's fluff.

It can help in all of those professions. How many people complain about doctors being cold? How much better would it be if doctors had some experience with psychology so that they could better relate to their patients? How much better would it be for an engineer to understand the society or the culture in which they are operating? How much better for insurance or finance agents to understand sociology or history? Aside from, as previously stated, philosophy DOES have a direct impact on some of these fields, as it can help develop reasoning abilities.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

you will NEVER need these skills to do what you want to do in life.

Athavan123

now you know how I feel when people tried to push mathematical methods and sciences onto me.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#46 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Athavan123

I agree with this but in my area a bunch of liberals live here so we get that and more stuff we don't want to do. To be honest I'd like to read a book one day and it be a book rather than a book about jesus because the author put symbolism in it.:| I'd like to watch tv without knowing background info, and would like to do math that is ACTUAL math.

EDIT: yes being broad is great but alot of these things you learn you can learn in english or something. Researching should be done on your own time.

fluffers623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 fluffers623
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts
I am currently a freshman studying Biomedical Engineering at a university. Quite honestly, my schedule is nothing compared to what I thought it would end up being. Linear Algebra- 4 creds Macroeconomics- 3 creds Intro Fiction/Poetry writing- 3 creds Java programming + lab - 4 creds BME modeling and design. - 2 creds and quite honestly I love it. I enjoy math and sciences no doubt, but I also enjoy learning about things outside of that horizon. My opinion, of course.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cd_rom
[QUOTE="Athavan123"][QUOTE="cd_rom"]Philosophy teaches you how to think abstractly and come to conclusions logically. It teaches you how to start from the beginning rather than the end. English teaches you how to properly read and interpret what you are reading. Also, nobody give a crap if you can find a derivative, but if you can quote and author you're considered a brilliant person. Knowledge is never wasted. You can always apply gathered knowledge into various situations.

I didn't say that applying use of derivatives in real-world situations didn't require greater intellect. I'm saying that nobody gives a crap. I well-versed English major is perceived to be more intelligent and knowledgeable.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Blame a guy named Cappella. He was a philosopher who created the whole "circle" of liberal arts crap. if you take gen eds. at university, you can blame him.

The arts, sciences, maths, languageswere all part of this "grand education" that everyone should have.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

Not at all, I love the liberal arts and soft sciences. I also understand the importance of knowing some math and I love science on a conceptual level. Like others have said, being a well-rounded person is the one of the points of University and I think far too many people forget that.