Does a college degree correlate with getting a job?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#51 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It depends on what you want to do. A lot of big corporations want younger people without any experience so they can train them and pay them less. That way they are also expendable and can hire more people when the previous ones quit.
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

It depends on what you want to do. A lot of big corporations want younger people without any experience so they can train them and pay them less. That way they are also expendable and can hire more people when the previous ones quit.Rattlesnake_8

Depends on the company. Google pays their interns the equivalent of $35 an hour...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

no

going to college, however, leads to networking, making connections, and job fairs and stuff

getting a degree means you are greater qualified for advancement, and might start higher up on the ladder. Some jobs require degrees.

but no, a college degree doesnt guarentee a job any more than a high school diploma. Anyone can get a job, it just takes time. I had to look for 6 months to get a real job

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#54 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
In my estimation, a college degree doesn't necessarily help, but if you don't have one it's a negative. Masters degrees are the new college degree, at least in my field... and so far, even a Masters isn't a guarantee. So yeah, I'd say a college degree puts you at zero... not having one puts you in the negatives.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Yeah, **** all those losers who have might have to balance work with raising kids who have the nerve to attempt to make a better life for themselves.

QuistisTrepe_

Pirate's comment was directed at the quality of the online institutions, not an insult to the ones taking them...

It's still in the same vein of looking down at those who had to take another route. I've taken online courses as well and I enjoy it far more than the lecture st-yle format. There's really no lesser quality IMO.

in lectures you can raise your hand, gather with classmates after class, visit a teacher at office hours, etc.

for online classes, you pretty much just read and regurgitate. I've taken online classes before as well, and I too enjoyed them, but mostly because theyre A.) incredibly easy, and B.) hold the student to very little accountability.

But all this is moot, because the "quality" is pretty much determined by the reputation of the school youre getting the degree from, online or not. You could have the number-one rated professor in the world conducting your online class, but simpy because youre getting it from Motown Institute of Crapola, its not worth as much as the in-class lecture youre getting from someone's assistant at Stuffynosed League of Excellence University.

This is why people think college costs so much, when it doesnt have to: because the schools with the good reputation know it, and can charge out the ass for it. People that qualify for those schools have little real option; they have to go, which in turn warrants the reputation the school gets ("smart people come h ere for education")

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It correlates with higher lifetime earnings.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Yeah, **** all those losers who have might have to balance work with raising kids who have the nerve to attempt to make a better life for themselves.

QuistisTrepe_

Pirate's comment was directed at the quality of the online institutions, not an insult to the ones taking them...

It's still in the same vein of looking down at those who had to take another route. I've taken online courses as well and I enjoy it far more than the lecture st-yle format. There's really no lesser quality IMO.

But how do you engage in discussions? How do you even hold a humanities course through an online venue? Although I am an economics/mathematics major myself, college has given me great respect for a liberal education that includes a variety of courses across fields. I don't see how you're going to get this kind of experience online.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 mrbojangles25

In my estimation, a college degree doesn't necessarily help, but if you don't have one it's a negative. Masters degrees are the new college degree, at least in my field... and so far, even a Masters isn't a guarantee. So yeah, I'd say a college degree puts you at zero... not having one puts you in the negatives. donalbane

yeah the Bachelor's degree is barely better than a college degree. Worse, in some ways, because the 4-5 years you spent in school could have been spent working and advancing in a job.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

sonicare

*on average still not a given

implied just making it known expressly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Yes -> correlates.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

sonicare

Yes -> correlates.

ok fine, i just wanted to free post, happy? :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] *on average still not a given

Yes -> correlates.

LOL. Usually I'm wrong, so its good to be right.
Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Tangmashi
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

Nope, I know a guy who has his Masters in Psych and works in the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese. He prays for death daily.Allicrombie

I loled.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] Yes -> correlates.sonicare

"right and wrong are just things, what is important is what you do" -God Futurama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] ok fine, i just wanted to free post, happy? :(

"right and wrong are just things, what is important is what you do" -God Futurama

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way - Homer Simpson.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

surrealnumber5

What on god's green earth are you talking about?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

cybrcatter

nothing, at all. i am looking for a distraction from work right now, and it is not for a lack of things to do.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 cybrcatter

[QUOTE="cybrcatter"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] *on average still not a given

surrealnumber5

nothing, at all. i am looking for a distraction from work right now, and it is not for a lack of things to do.

Fair enough. I'm in that boat with you. Someone needs rage about something in OT. Where is rockerbiki when we need her?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="cybrcatter"] What on god's green earth are you talking about?

cybrcatter

Fair enough. I'm in that boat with you. Someone needs rage about something in OT. Where is rockerbiki when we need her?

lol

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
depends on the degree, some degrees are practically useless in the current job world. its amazing how many people get a BA in something like digital photography or even history and then wonder why they can't find a job
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Only thing it guarantees anymore is a job interview. Work related experience will and to me has always out weighed a post grad with no work experience. Now there are a few fields that are exceptions but the people getting those degrees are wanting to be in that field.
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
Education is important as well but most companies want experienced people. I will give you an example with the games industry. Most jobs are for programmers(i.e.software engineers). They MUST have a degree but they also must be experienced with C++ and have 5+ Years of experience in the industry and have already shipped one title. This was probably a more senior-than-average position but they are generally all like this, and if they are all like this, where is a person going to get their experience from?
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Not any more. Employers in this crap economy care about experience now, not education (as far as 4 year degree jobs go). That's why so many college grads have been unemployed for years now or are stocking shelves if they're lucky.

Pirate700

Not only that, many employers PREFER only High School-educated people so that they don't HAVE to pay them as much.

College Degrees can make you over-qualified for a job that an employer is looking to pay basement salaries/benefits for.

My previous boss did that crap - we had a guy who had a MBA and once owned his own business apply for a simple position at our company. He was rejected because the manager thought he might be a threat to his own job! Total conflict of interest.

His resume was freaking amazing - but he said he had trouble finding a job because everyone felt he would eventually demand more money or become bossy or something. Quite the opposite from they way he was talking. He sounded desperate for a job too. I felt bad but the system is so screwed up right now.

It's like you're damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

If you ask me - get a good, basic Bachelors degree from a decent school and stop there. Son't spend a fortune on a Master's or Doctor's with school loans because you'll spend forever paying them off and you won't get the salary you thought you would anyway. Not unless you have family connections or some other guaranteed spot waiting for you already.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#75 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Not any more. Employers in this crap economy care about experience now, not education (as far as 4 year degree jobs go). That's why so many college grads have been unemployed for years now or are stocking shelves if they're lucky.

Netherscourge

Not only that, many employers PREFER only High School-educated people so that they don't HAVE to pay them as much.

College Degrees can make you over-qualified for a job that an employer is looking to pay basement salaries/benefits for.

My previous boss did that crap - we had a guy who had a MBA and once owned his own business apply for a simple position at our company. He was rejected because the manager thought he might be a threat to his own job! Total conflict of interest.

Just curious what industry do you work in? Because in the industry I work in, high tech industry, MBA can be somewhat valuable.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Degrees dont mean much anymore in my opinion, commitment and guts are what a lot of people look for. A friend of mine who I worked for in a computer repair shop told me he had people come up to him with Degrees and tons of papers saying how good they were with electronics, told them to remove a virus or fix a laptop and they didnt know what the hell to do. Experience>>>Learning History.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#77 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It doesn't, but around here having a college degree or being enrolled in an university gives you a very good chance of getting a job.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#78 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Depends on the field. Something that is very specifically oriented towards a single career path (medicine, engineering, etc.) will definitely lead to at least a decent job that can help gain experience. However, something like a Bachelor of Arts does absolutely dick-all to help find a job. In my case, I would have to take at least another two years of certification training (library science, political science, or another field entirely) in order to land something even remotely related to my field of study. Which is why after 5 years of university I am working as a security guard for a pittance. It kind of makes me regret not picking something more career-oriented like astronomy or geological science (both fields I took some courses in and enjoyed) now that I'm finished and have realized that I just want something I can go to every day, make some money, enjoy it to some degree, and come home and do other things with enough money for a nice house and the ability to support a family. Sure, being passionate about a job is a good thing to have... but I've noticed that I can be pretty passionate about anything if I devote effort to it. So its not what I want, but finding what I feel most comfortable with. Getting a well-paying career these days involves a lot of time spent in school. Unless one wants to get into the trades, which is always going to be extremely lucrative and very rewarding (another thing I regret not doing out of high school).
cs45F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 cs45F
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts
Nope i know people who graduated years ago and are cutting grass for a living its hard now that's why im going to trade school because there's always good paying work to be done you just have to be willing to do it. Its about how good you are and who you know now days and trust me it aint easy.
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

Depends on the field. Something that is very specifically oriented towards a single career path (medicine, engineering, etc.) will definitely lead to at least a decent job that can help gain experience. However, something like a Bachelor of Arts does absolutely dick-all to help find a job. In my case, I would have to take at least another two years of certification training (library science, political science, or another field entirely) in order to land something even remotely related to my field of study. Which is why after 5 years of university I am working as a security guard for a pittance. It kind of makes me regret not picking something more career-oriented like astronomy or geological science (both fields I took some courses in and enjoyed) now that I'm finished and have realized that I just want something I can go to every day, make some money, enjoy it to some degree, and come home and do other things with enough money for a nice house and the ability to support a family. Sure, being passionate about a job is a good thing to have... but I've noticed that I can be pretty passionate about anything if I devote effort to it. So its not what I want, but finding what I feel most comfortable with. Getting a well-paying career these days involves a lot of time spent in school. Unless one wants to get into the trades, which is always going to be extremely lucrative and very rewarding (another thing I regret not doing out of high school).foxhound_fox

Most of the jobs in those fields are usually goverment funded or is done through a university. Considering how much cutbacks the government has been doing and still needs to do, those fields aren't too great either for jobs.

Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

It depends what you did during college..... If you networked properly and got connections to companies who are hiring I would say yes. If you just expected to magically be given a job because you now poses a piece of paper, not really It also depends on your major and the college you attendedMafiree

This really hits the nail on the head.

If you are looking for some reassurance however, take solace in the fact that a college degree(related to the job in question) will usually put you above applicants who only have a high school diploma. Of course if the high school diploma applicant has years of experience under their belt, that can and probably will be looked upon more favorably.

Edit: Also, for those who say jobs in law or engineering or the more specialized degrees are guaranteed positions, well thats simply not true. I have several friends who graduated with engineering degrees in various fields and they're all still looking for engineering related jobs. Its a VERY competitive market out there right now and theres loads of people who have the same piece of paper to their name. Even graduating top of your class or with honors doesn't count for very much in the working world. The most important thing, and I cannot emphasize this enough, is NETWORKING.

Get involved with extra curricular groups, competitions, events, just get into campus life and network with as many other students, professors, etc. as you can. That network of contacts can be invaluable in finding a job. Many positions are advertised internally in a company and knowing someone on the inside can give you a way in. Likewise, having a recommendation from another staff member will make your application much more prominent.

A basic phrase I've heard throughout my time at university, and it really is true, "Your networth is your network"

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

From what I hear, it depends on what your major is. If you are just going to school for journalism or something unspectacular it might be harder to find a job when you are done. My drafting teacher told me that if I finish my Mechanical Engineering course employers will most likely recognize the hard work I had to put in to graduate. I am planning on participating in the co-op program at my school, and by doing that I think I almost guarantee myself a job after I am finished. Then I will have both experience and education.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 cybrcatter

My drafting teacher told me that if I finish my Mechanical Engineering course employers will most likely recognize the hard work I had to put in to graduate. I am planning on participating in the co-op program at my school, and by doing that I think I almost guarantee myself a job after I am finished. Then I will have both experience and education.

taylor888

Not to say that this is necessarily the case for yours, but many professors live inside an academic bubble removed from business, business cycles and, even worse, overall trends.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

If it's relevant to your field, it may be a requirement for employment. The minimum requirement for the post-secondary teaching job I got was a Master's degree. But a degree on its own will not guarantee you employment. Experience and a proven track record are just as important, and you almost certainly won't win a competition against someone with a decade of experience if you have none. In some cases, the degree may OVER-qualify you for a position; employers looking for low-wage, menial jobs often don't want to hire university graduates, because they assume (correctly in most cases) that the university graduate doesn't actually want the job, but has been forced into it.

Nonetheless, I think you can get employment in any field with time, ingenuity, and perseverance. That includes those of us with our "useless" arts-related degrees. You have to acquire experience and a good reputation doing any sort of work you can that is related to your field. Meet people in your field, and if you aren't hired by a company the first time but felt you had a good interview, keep applying as positions open up at that company while you continue to build your professional portfolio. If you're lucky, you'll land a job right away. If not, then you've just got to make do and find a way to pay the bills while you get established.

With respect to that, I'd like to note that you don't need a huge salary to live well, provided you make intelligent decisions about where to live, how to live, and how to spend your money. And having a huge salary isn't going to guarantee you financial success in life, nor will having a small salary preclude you from financial success.

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#85 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

It's all about having connections and real job experience now. College is nice to have, but real world experience and being well-adept in your field of work is vastly superior to an employer.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts

Many employers REQUIRE that you have a 4 year degree. You may not need one to start at the bottom of a corporation, but you need one to keep advancing to an actual well-paying job. Many employers won't even bother looking at your application if you have no college degree; why should they? Having a degree is just the first part in getting a well-paying job. You also need to have experience. If you're tying to land the position of CFO for a company and have no work experience and just an undergraduate degree, do you honestly think you will get the job? People have expectations that are too high. However, even with the proper work experience, you still need the degree. It's not about having one or the other, it's about having both.

Many people can find jobs but they are unwilling to move to attain them, or they don't like the pay, or they don't like working those hours, etc. People get so nit-picky that they don't go after the jobs they CAN get and start to blame the economy for not being able to get the jobs they could NEVER get in the first place.