Do you think quite people have the loudest minds?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts

"Quiet People Have The Loudest Minds" Stephen Hawiking

Do you agree with this quote? I was reading this article and i saw myself in many thing that were being said there:

Introverts have an inward focus and aren't usually the life of the party. They have a strong sense of self that can make them feel highly self-conscious around other people – making walking into a crowded room a little nerve-wracking. Introverts have a hard time being goofy in front of the camera and telling jokes to more than a couple of people at a time, but they can be extremely witty. They're less "Larry, Curly, and Moe" and more Woody Allen - but that doesn't mean introverts' personality traits are neurotic.

Introverts process their emotions, thoughts, and observations internally. They can be social people, but reveal less about themselves than extroverts do. Introverts are more private, and less public. Introverts need time to think before responding to a situation, and develop their ideas by reflecting privately. Introverts' personality traits can be passionate, but not usually aggressive.

Introverts can focus their attention more readily and for longer periods of time than extroverts, and they aren't easily swayed by other people's opinions. Introverts may not know they're introverted, and sometimes feel weird, different, or awkward. They may abnormal most of them time, and wonder if introverts are normal.

Some introverts aren't stereotypically shy and can strike up conversations with anyone. These introverts enjoy talking and listening to people, and going to parties and events. But most introverts would rather be at home. Introverts can find small talk easy but tiring – and sometimes boring. They'd rather have meaningful conversations about the depths of human souls and minds, but find few opportunities (those aren't your usual conversations at water coolers or dinner parties!).

An introvert's personality traits aren't necessarily tentative or hesitant, but introverts do prefer to think before they act. When introverts are ready they take action!

I see myself in most if not all of the things said there. But i hate not being able to do small talk, especially with my crush. As soon as i start talking to her on FB, text or real life, i end up the convo pretty damn fast. I don't really do it on purpose, it just happens :S I just wish people would understand that just cause i dont talk much doesn't mean i lack confidence, self believe or have my own ideas. It's actually the other way around,

Anyway, this gave me an idea for a drawing, it's not completed yet ( text was added with photoshop). I was gonna make a draw of me drawing something, but i wanted to add a quote and i like that one so:

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
that's why the internet is a perfect place for them
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

No.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I read white, and then auto-corrected it to 'black' then I had to re-read the title and finally read 'quite'. I'm totally going to hell.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
In some cases, this can be true. Just because someone is quiet doesn't mean they are thoughtless. On the contrary, they could be deep in thought.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Change your damn title.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I prove otherwise. :(
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Loudmouths tend to be stupid because that sort of excessive self-assurance is rarely the product of much thought. But being quiet doesn't necessarily indicate intelligence. Could just be that someone is socially awkward. But I think there are more smart people to be found among the quiet or normal folks and fewer amongst the loud. As a general principle I suppose if you're not talking, you're probably thinking. Of course thinking about how hot that chick over there is and daydreaming about her being your girlfriend isn't exactly going to get you a Nobel Prize.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Described me, which is why I'm so amazed that I'm actually talking to a girl. This is my personality type which is what he just described so... http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I guess I agree with the post, I am kind of an introvert...so yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Change your damn title.

Blue-Sky

U mad? lol

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Sounds like me.. I find talking to some new people really boring and hate small talk but can somehow have really interesting or humorous conversations with some people.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

...Yeah, sounds about right.

I can never underestimate the quiet people. They usually end up being the coolest imo.

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

That is a near perfect explanation of me. Get out of my mind Hawking!

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Yes. I am a generally a quiet person but I think alot. There's alot going on in my mind.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drakes_Fortune

That is a near perfect explanation of me. Get out of my mind Hawking!

agpickle
He didn't wrote the article, only the quote. Anyway i got some ideas to finish my drawing. I'm thinking about drawing lots of "random" stuff coming out of my mind, i think in the end it would be a very meaningfull image.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drakes_Fortune

Yes. I am a generally a quiet person but I think alot. There's alot going on in my mind.

ToastRider11
Yeah man, sometimes i just wish my brain would give me a break. People already noticed that most of the times i just stand there quite looking no where.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I'm a life-long introvert. I have a constant narration running through my head, so much so that it's hard to disengage it so I can get to sleep. I think about everything from molecular motion to simple daydreaming.

Over the years, however, I've learned to be social enough that I can hold small talk and even lead group conversations pretty easily. It took a long time to get to this point, and it still drains me of energy pretty quickly. When I get home from a social gathering I usually nap; it just wears me out. I can bust ass all day and need to do nothing more when I get home but put my feet up for an hour or so and I'm fine, but dealing with people just zaps me of everything.

Two tricks I've found that really help me (YMMV):

-Small talk is easy. If you run out of something to say, ask if they know what the upcoming weather is going to be, or ask if they know any more information about a recent event you've heard about on the news. The point is to get them talking while you steer.

-When someone asks you something, mull it over in your head before answering, but don't stand there with a blank look on your face; make it obvious you intend to answer. Bite your lip, furrow your brow, let out a thoughtful "Hmmm...", just something so they know you heard them. Try to come up with a succinct answer that puts as much thought into as few words as possible, so you can easily elaborate to prolong the conversation.

One problem I still have (and probably always will) is that I can't talk over someone else. When someone else starts talking, my vocal chords just sieze up. If I'm talking about something and get interrupted, I do not return to the subject unless prompted to do so. Going backwards in conversation is usually counter-productive, just move on to the next topic.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I think that article is kind of true for me... I've been an introvert for years now, and lately it's been worse than ever. I do tend to be very self conscious and over analyze things going on around me.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
[QUOTE="ToastRider11"]

Drakes_Fortune
Yeah man, sometimes i just wish my brain would give me a break. People already noticed that most of the times i just stand there quite looking no where.

lol ya I have huge trouble concentrating sometimes because of it. It's like "omg shut up would you". But I can't. I wonder if us guys would get along well.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Quite so

British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
After reading this, it definitely confirms my suspicions that I'm the smartest person I know.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
im not an introvert, im a xenophobe.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
I'm an introvert, working in retail have kinda made me more proactive though in the talking field. But it is still hard for me to keep a convo going, especially to spark one. I have to mentally prepare myself on the week to be interactive on the weekend. Its not easy,and most of my time is spent alone where I feel most comfortable. I often envy my extrovert peers, but lately I realized they have their downsides too. I've come a long way in my 20 years, sometimes the best way for me to keep a convo going is to just say whatever comes in my mind and hope its not stupid. Trust me I know being an introvert in an extrovert world is hard but you gotta adapt cause I still am.
butteman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 butteman12
Member since 2005 • 2726 Posts

That excerpt pretty much describe me perfectly. It's a tough thing too, not voicing out your own thoughts and beliefs, especially when you're in a social gathering with lots of girls. But sometimes, you can say that one comment that really sticks with people and can make you memorable. I wish i was a bit more spontaneous and talkative, however.

TChaivong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 TChaivong
Member since 2004 • 3693 Posts

I'm gonna have to copy and print that article so I can read it at parties when I have nothing to say = D

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I think a lot, pretty much about anything. It's annoying trying to get to sleep sometime. I'm usually quiet in public when I'm by myself (or depending on the context). But that's just how I was raised; my whole family is like this. When I'm around my friends though I happen to talk a lot. Also, I have no problem with small talk and carrying on a conversation so as long as the other party(ies) is willing to do the same.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

That sounds a LOT like me. More the paragraph about the outgoing introvert. Small talk is obnoxious and I feel like its always up to me, as the protagonist of my life, to start the deep conversations. I definitely do play a lot close to the chest now that I think about it though. I rant about anything and everything and I'm excited to share it and discuss it with people who are intrigued and will contribute something of their own, but considering how much I talk and love to talk, I really don't tell ANYONE the more personal stuff.

As a damned loud person, I don't know how loud the typical quiet person's mind is by comparison. I do think its interesting to bring out though. I started talking to this one kid who more or less kept to himself, just brought up a sarcastic rhetorical question to see if he would take the bait, and we had a long discussion on the topic. I thought it was really cool. I wouldn't say its a true statement, because I feel like I NEVER stop thinking. I will say that I've seen plenty of stupid outspoken people, like Santorum, but they definitely yell louder!

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
It's pretty calm in there most of the time for me.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Yea yea yea.

Can relate. I hate smalltalk, it's the most pointless bullsh*t in the world, and anyone with a semblence of intelligence can see right through it. It's very hard to get to know me for this reason, I just have no time for it. I know it's necessary, just so stupid. The thing I hate most about being an introvert is interacting in a crowd of people. I'm always the odd one out, because I can't take superficial interest in everyone, I have intense focus on only one. Not only does this make social gatherings awkward, I'm sure it also comes off as clingy. But if I'm going to use my time, I'd much rather get to know one person in-depth than 20 slightly. I hate socializing due to this.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
In my case, yes...
SauceKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SauceKing
Member since 2011 • 679 Posts

hawking is a brilliant mind in terms of astrophysics, but not so much in social culture as he was stricken with lou gherigs disease at a young age. In other words you probably wouldnt buy "stephen hawking's guide to picking up chicks" if it was on the bookshelves. So i dont personally weigh his opinion heavily in terms of social issues.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

hawking is a brilliant mind in terms of astrophysics, but not so much in social culture as he was stricken with lou gherigs disease at a young age. In other words you probably wouldnt buy "stephen hawking's guide to picking up chicks" if it was on the bookshelves. So i dont personally weigh his opinion heavily in terms of social issues.

SauceKing

Au contraire, I hear Hawking was quite the ladies man before he fell ill. He probably knows more about hooking up with chicks than 99% of OT.

SauceKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SauceKing
Member since 2011 • 679 Posts

[QUOTE="SauceKing"]

MirkoS77

Au contraire, I hear Hawking was quite the ladies man before he fell ill. He probably knows more about hooking up with chicks than 99% of OT.

probably knows more about hooking up with chicks AFTER he fell fell ill than most of OT.

I still wouldnt consider him an expert on personilty types or anything of the sort.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I wouldn't say I'm quite but sometimes my thoughts are loud. But this is probably not what he meant:P.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I don't know if the question is true or not... Though the OP was relatively accurate in my case. I'm not the best talker......but there's always some sort of musing going on inside my head :P

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#38 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
I'm constantly thinking, but hardly talking. Does that work?
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Drakes_Fortune
[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"][QUOTE="ToastRider11"]

dkdk999

lol ya I have huge trouble concentrating sometimes because of it. It's like "omg shut up would you". But I can't. I wonder if us guys would get along well.

It would depend where and how we would meet. But at first i think it would be kinda awkward, but with time i think we would get along pretty well. Unlike other people i don't judge anyone just cause they are shy or pretty much anything else. I just don't judge people.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

i wish i had the ability to read minds

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

I had been an extravert all my life

Just turning introvert and I am loving it.

God, it's amazing how much time you can devote to your passions when your not wasting it talking with morons.

Avatar image for IustitiaMaximus
IustitiaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IustitiaMaximus
Member since 2012 • 895 Posts

INTJs unite! We can take over the world.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

I had been an extravert all my life

Just turning introvert and I am loving it.

God, it's amazing how much time you can devote to your passions when your not wasting it talking with morons.

SaintWalrus
lol