Do you think it's possible..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

munkey102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 munkey102
Member since 2005 • 2873 Posts

For someone to learn how to draw and paint? I'm not a very good artist at all, but is it possible to develop in the skill and become an above average artist? Or is it just something certain people can just do naturally and others can't?

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Yeah.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
yeah, I wasn't good, but I'm able now. I just doodled a lot and took a lot of math-sci courses. those really help.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Anyone can learn to draw and paint. Artistic vision though is something you either have or you don't.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

It's not possible for me.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
of course u can...
MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Yeah of course. There is even classes for it, but to be a good artist you don't have to be able to just draw well. You can be the worst drawer/painter and still make a successful artwork, just need imagination and a concept :)

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Anyone could learn any art if enough effort is put into it.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

Yeah of course. There is even classes for it, but to be a good artist you don't have to be able to just draw well. You can be the worst drawer/painter and still make a successful artwork, just need imagination and a concept :)

MrsSolidSnake
Yes, just nail a potato to a board and call it art. You'll make millions!
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Anyone can learn to draw and paint. Artistic vision though is something you either have or you don't.

Pirate700
Exactly what I was going to say.
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
[QUOTE="MrsSolidSnake"]

harashawn
Yes, just nail a potato to a board and call it art. You'll make millions*!

*only after you've died though.
MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrsSolidSnake
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MrsSolidSnake"]

That could actually be a successful work, you know. I saw one which was just a blue line on white canvas in a gallery.
DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

Drawing and painting is just like playing a musical instrument, it gets better with practice. Ofcourse it comes easier to some people, but with enough practice you can be great.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Yea I took Drawing class this year in school and I can draw a lot better now. A lot of people in that class didn't know how much talent they had for it. A lot of people have potential to be great artists you just need the right guidance and a lot of practice. Sure some are more talented but don't let that stop you from trying.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 harashawn
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MrsSolidSnake"]

MrsSolidSnake

That could actually be a successful work, you know. I saw one which was just a blue line on white canvas in a gallery.

That is the problem with art, it's just too subjective. Anything can be deemed art, and the more unusual it is, the more poular it will be. If I drill a hole in my hand and say it's art, who can argue with me?
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Where does art end and crap begin?

That is a serious question.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

For someone to learn how to draw and paint? I'm not a very good artist at all, but is it possible to develop in the skill and become an above average artist? Or is it just something certain people can just do naturally and others can't?

munkey102

If learning how to use a computer is possible, then I'm pretty sure it's possible to learn how to use a pencil and a paintbrush.

There's certainly natural talent, and many people will never be good in certain things, no matter how hard they try. But for most things, most people can get to average competency just by working at it.

I dunno, what are you asking? If you're asking whether or not your drawings and paintings will ever be exhibited in museums or appreciated after you've died, then the answer is probably "no". If you're simply asking if you can get good enough to have a normal Average Joe loom at your work and say, "dang, that's pretty good", then the answer is probably "yes".

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer

Artistic vision though is something you either have or you don't.

Pirate700

How do you figure?

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts

As an art major, it might come as a shock that I don't believe there's such a thing as natural talent when it comes to the arts. Why is it that everyone always says I have a natural talent simply because I make good art? Was I born that way? Not at all. It may seem I was born that way, but the reason why I've always been good at art is because I grew an interest in the medium at such an early age in life and set a goal for myself to get better, and maintain that interest and dedication up to this point and counting. I've had all the time in my life to get good at art. How does anyone get good at playing a guitar, or doing tricks on a skateboard? It's not just natural talent; it's time and dedication. So at your age, you may think you're too old and bad at art, but it's never too late to grow some dedication towards the medium.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

You can teach people techniques... but art demands creativity... and you cant teach creativity.

if you understand the basics of a pencil and paintbrush... and you arent creating art, you probably never will.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer

You can teach people techniques... but art demands creativity... and you cant teach creativity.

if you understand the basics of a pencil and paintbrush... and you arent creating art, you probably never will.

markinthedark

I hear and see people saying that a lot, but I'd like to actually see some evidence supporting it.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrsSolidSnake
[QUOTE="MrsSolidSnake"][QUOTE="harashawn"] Yes, just nail a potato to a board and call it art. You'll make millions!harashawn

That is the problem with art, it's just too subjective. Anything can be deemed art, and the more unusual it is, the more poular it will be. If I drill a hole in my hand and say it's art, who can argue with me?

I dare you to go drill a hole in your hand and see who'll argue with you :P
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 markinthedark

As an art major, it might come as a shock that I don't believe there's such a thing as natural talent when it comes to the arts. Why is it that everyone always says I have a natural talent simply because I make good art? Was I born that way? Not at all. It may seem I was born that way, but the reason why I've always been good at art is because I grew an interest in the medium at such an early age in life and set a goal for myself to get better, and maintain that interest and dedication up to this point and counting. I've had all the time in my life to get good at art. How does anyone get good at playing a guitar, or doing tricks on a skateboard? It's not just natural talent; it's time and dedication. So at your age, you may think you're too old and bad at art, but it's never too late to grow some dedication towards the medium.

Nerd_Man

you are talking about developing motor skills though. Most folks already have the motor skills to use a pencil or paintbrush... just from learning to write. What makes a good artist has nothing to do with how well they can hold a stick of wood.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

MrGeezer

I hear and see people saying that a lot, but I'd like to actually see some evidence supporting it.

how would you go about teaching creativity? if you are saying its possible... how would you do it?

creativity in essence, is thinking of things people havent thought of before... its impossible to teach something that hasnt been thought of yet.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nerd_Man

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"]

markinthedark

you are talking about developing motor skills though. Most folks already have the motor skills to use a pencil or paintbrush... just from learning to write. What makes a good artist has nothing to do with how well they can hold a stick of wood.

You speak one can't teach creativity; and while that's true, creativity is strictly one's perspective on what such a thing is. Everyone possesses a sense of perspective, whether they know how to use it or not. What's one's masterpiece can be a bland piece of junk to another.

Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

Yeah you can learn to draw and paint well if that's what you're asking. Maybe it might take you longer than some others, but don't let that stop you. Just keep practicing and progressing and you'll most definitely see improvement. Don't get discouraged either if what you had in mind doesn't turn out that way when you execute it. :P You'll get the hang of it eventually. You can even work on your creativity. Read and learn about art history and about artists in the present to inspire and influence you and it could help you come up up with your own style.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"]

Nerd_Man

You speak one can't teach creativity; and while that's true, creativity is strictly one's perspective on what such a thing is. What's one's masterpiece can be a bland piece of junk to another.

to be perfectly honest... if you were going to learn how to be a successful artist... it should probably be done by a mathematician or scientist. As they could formulate scientific studies and equations based on past great artists to come up with art scenarios that would have a high probability of being viewed as good art.

I certainly wouldnt trust an artist.

Im a huge math/science freak... so i guarantee somewhere there could be an equation that can predict good art by using historic evidence and contemporary social views... to figure out what art style has the highest success rate of being considered art. But mathematicians and scientists arent the folks teaching our art classes.... they are mostly being taught by artists that failed to make it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

markinthedark

how would you go about teaching creativity? if you are saying its possible... how would you do it?

creativity in essence, is thinking of things people havent thought of before... its impossible to teach something that hasnt been thought of yet.

Well firstly, I didn't say that teaching creativity is possible. Instead, you said that it ISN'T possible.

So...let's start with that. You made the claim, so I'd like to see something to actually support it.

Secondly, I take offense to that from the point of view of people who are actually TRYING to think more creatively about their "art". Like, once we establish that ANYONE can learn how to manipulate a brush or or pencil, then suddenly te only difference between great artists and bad artists are things such as vision, concept, etc. The thing is, you're claiming that those things CANNOT BE LEARNED, thus implying that the artist did NO WORK WHATSOEVER in developing a certain concept, idea, or creative vision. Put that dude's painting right beside an equally skilled painting done by an artist who lacks creative vision, and the claim you are making is that those two artists are EQUAL in terms of their active involvement in their respective works of art. You're recognizing that one work of art is better, while failing to give the artist any credit for it. You're saying that he didn't pour his blood sweat, and tears into it, that he wasn't tormented and haunted by the concept or vision. That all of that stuff just HAPPENED without him having to do anything. Despite one work of art being better, you're therefore saying that the ARTISTS are 100% equal in talent just because they are both equalled in one specific commonality (that is, their skills with a brush). Saying that people cannot improve and develop creatively is ABSOLUTELY diminishing the accomplishments of artists who make creative and compelling works of art. That is ABSOLUTELY saying that they didn't put anything into that happening, but that it just plain happened without any active contribution on their parts. And...I suspect that you'll find a HELL of a lot of artists who'd object to that attitude.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nerd_Man

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"][QUOTE="markinthedark"]

markinthedark

You speak one can't teach creativity; and while that's true, creativity is strictly one's perspective on what such a thing is. What's one's masterpiece can be a bland piece of junk to another.

to be perfectly honest... if you were going to learn how to be a successful artist... it should probably be done by a mathematician or scientist. As they could formulate scientific studies and equations based on past great artists to come up with art scenarios that would have a high probability of being viewed as good art.

Im a huge math/science freak... so i guarantee somewhere there could be an equation that can predict good art by using historic evidence and contemporary social views... to figure out what art style has the highest success rate of being considered art. But mathematicians and scientists arent the folks teaching our art classes.... they are mostly being taught by artists that failed to make it.

Do not compare math and science with art, or even attempt to tie them together. Art is the polar opposite of the logic that goes into math and science.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"] You speak one can't teach creativity; and while that's true, creativity is strictly one's perspective on what such a thing is. What's one's masterpiece can be a bland piece of junk to another.Nerd_Man

Do not compare math and science with art, or even attempt to tie them together. Art is the polar opposite of the logic that goes into math and science.

I disagree.

They are different in many important aspects, but art is HEAVILY dependant on science and math. Ever notice how Leonardo Davinci was also interested in science and math? Ever notice how some of the highly praised photographers like Ansel Adams did extensive personal study on light and optics? Ever noticed how some great works of art were actually deliberately designed around certain mathematical concepts/formulas/ratios?

They're not the same thing, and shouldn't be treated as if they are the same thing. But it is simply wrong to say that they do not heavily tie together.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nerd_Man

MrGeezer

I disagree.

They are different in many important aspects, but art is HEAVILY dependant on science and math. Ever notice how Leonardo Davinci was also interested in science and math? Ever notice how some of the highly praised photographers like Ansel Adams did extensive personal study on light and optics? Ever noticed how some great works of art were actually deliberately designed around certain mathematical concepts/formulas/ratios?

They're not the same thing, and shouldn't be treated as if they are the same thing. But it is simply wrong to say that they do not heavily tie together.

I'm mostly referring to how the brain functions when dealing with logic versus creativity. They are two completely different things, but I understand what you're saying. I just don't think there's any such mathematical equation that defines "good art" that Mark argues might exist.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"] You speak one can't teach creativity; and while that's true, creativity is strictly one's perspective on what such a thing is. What's one's masterpiece can be a bland piece of junk to another.Nerd_Man

Why is that? how do you think our brains functions? did you not like my post... you ran an internal mathematical and logical process that made you come up with that conclusion.

Your brain took prior knowledge and experiences and computed an opinion that would reflect those factors. How do you think the FBI manages to create profiles on criminals? they use logistical and mathematic data to figure out the what types of individuals commit certain types of crimes.

Your brain works on math, everyone's brain works on math. Everytime you press a key to reply to this post, your brain is processing visual and known data and which physical response results in which keypress and calculating spacial distance to make that keypress happen.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nerd_Man

markinthedark

Why is that? how do you think our brains functions? did you not like my post... you ran an internal mathematical and logical process that made you come up with that conclusion.

Your brain took prior knowledge and experiences and computed an opinion that would reflect those factors. How do you think the FBI manages to create profiles on criminals? they use logistical and mathematic data to figure out the what types of individuals commit certain types of crimes.

Your brain works on math, everyone's brain works on math. Everytime you press a key to reply to this post, your brain is processing visual and known data and which physical response results in which keypress and calculating spacial distance to make that keypress happen.

Obviously everyone reading and writing in this thread right now is using the logistic side of their brain. But if any of us were away right now, captivated in creating through a visual medium with no distractions of the outside world, that's that completely different power in the brain that's allowing us to do that. If you took an art class, you might understand how the brain processes imagery better.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Well firstly, I didn't say that teaching creativity is possible. Instead, you said that it ISN'T possible.

So...let's start with that. You made the claim, so I'd like to see something to actually support it.

Secondly, I take offense to that from the point of view of people who are actually TRYING to think more creatively about their "art". Like, once we establish that ANYONE can learn how to manipulate a brush or or pencil, then suddenly te only difference between great artists and bad artists are things such as vision, concept, etc. The thing is, you're claiming that those things CANNOT BE LEARNED, thus implying that the artist did NO WORK WHATSOEVER in developing a certain concept, idea, or creative vision. Put that dude's painting right beside an equally skilled painting done by an artist who lacks creative vision, and the claim you are making is that those two artists are EQUAL in terms of their active involvement in their respective works of art. You're recognizing that one work of art is better, while failing to give the artist any credit for it. You're saying that he didn't pour his blood sweat, and tears into it, that he wasn't tormented and haunted by the concept or vision. That all of that stuff just HAPPENED without him having to do anything. Despite one work of art being better, you're therefore saying that the ARTISTS are 100% equal in talent just because they are both equalled in one specific commonality (that is, their skills with a brush). Saying that people cannot improve and develop creatively is ABSOLUTELY diminishing the accomplishments of artists who make creative and compelling works of art. That is ABSOLUTELY saying that they didn't put anything into that happening, but that it just plain happened without any active contribution on their parts. And...I suspect that you'll find a HELL of a lot of artists who'd object to that attitude.

Im saying.... if we both have visions of art in our head. And we both have the motor coordination and skills to put them on paper. You cant teach how to have a better vision in your head.

whats in your mind will be better than whats in my mind, or vice versa.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Nerd_Man"] Do not compare math and science with art, or even attempt to tie them together. Art is the polar opposite of the logic that goes into math and science.Nerd_Man

Obviously everyone reading and writing in this thread right now is using the logistic side of their brain. But if any of us were away right now, captivated in creating through a visual medium with no distractions of the outside world, that's that completely different power in the brain that's allowing us to do that. If you took an art class, you might understand how the brain processes imagery better.

well i think creativity could be quantified. But i think as a species we tend to celebrate individualism, especially with art. I mean... if it was strictly a motor function... the best artist would be the person that could produce the most photorealistic painting/drawing.... but thats obviously not the case.

I actually dont need an art class, growing up i was always the best artist in my class... with no training. I dont even have very good motor skills... i just excelled at putting that image in my head onto paper, or clay... or whatever medium. Im my family, my grandfather was a painter, my uncle is a painter, and another uncle is a nationally syndicated cartoonist.

it seems at least in the art world, what is appreciated is what goes against the grain.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 harashawn
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="MrsSolidSnake"] That could actually be a successful work, you know. I saw one which was just a blue line on white canvas in a gallery.MrsSolidSnake

I dare you to go drill a hole in your hand and see who'll argue with you :P

Would you argue at a man with a hole in his hand screaming "IT"S ART!!"?
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

Yes, good art is a matter of perception, and there's the fact that practice makes prefect.

jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

All I know is that my drawing and design skills have gone dramatically down since the many years I stopped taking any form of art class.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Pirate700
I sadly do not have that vision :(