Do you think European cultures have the worst food compared to others?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I have heard this topic come up a lot and I never thought of it. Outside of Italian food, which I’m not the craziest about; I don’t really like a lot of food associated with European cultures.

I tend gravitate more to Indian, Asian, East African, Caribbean, or Latin American food.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3227 Posts

What about Greek food?

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, French... Mediterranean cuisine ftw!

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

Yeah, I would say Italian is the dominant cuisine of Europe.

1st place - Italian

2nd place - French for its baguette, Pain Au Chocolat, Macarons, Profiterole, Crossaint... anything bakery

3rd place - English for its fish and chips, scones, shortbread, etc..

4th place- Spanish for tapas and churros

5th place - Swiss/Belgium for its bakery, desserts, and chocolate.

The above 5 are probably known worldwide, but nowhere near as diverse as Italian... my favourite :D

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

Honestly this is the most shocking thread I've ever seen in my life! I'm appalled!

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

I don't know any country with bad food (but I never tried North Korean, can someone recommend a chain?)

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Mediterranean cuisine is up there with the best. The rest of Europe is severely lacking in the culinary department.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34626 Posts

Hmm. Yeah? I guess so.

Asian food ftw.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59022 Posts

UK is famous for it's excellent cuisine.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

No, European Mediterranean food is amazing. As for the other countries, i don't know their cuisine very well so i won't say .

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nirgal

@omegamaster: food may be matter of individual taste, but for 99% of humans, English is definitely not the third best food in Europe and is definitely not more tasty than Spanish food.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

@nirgal said:

@omegamaster: food may be matter of individual taste, but for 99% of humans, English is definitely not the third best food in Europe and is definitely not more tasty than Spanish food.

Yeah, you are not wrong there.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58345 Posts

I don't think it's "worst" but I think sometimes it can be a bit basic.

At the same time, I think other cultures tend to overseason their food due to poor quality ingredients. I'm a huge fan of, for example, mapo tofu but you kind of have to ask yourself why do they season it with something so spicy it literally makes your tongue numb.

There's an old cook's saying that the quality of the chef is determined by the quality of their simplest dish. It's why a perfect omelet or a good steak seasoned with only salt and pepper, or a nice piece of poached salmon is usually better than a mediocre dish with 20 ingredients.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nirgal

@mrbojangles25: i am from South America, have lived in east Asia for ten years and my family is from Italy.

I have travelled all around he world and tasted many different countries foods.

My opinion about it: most people enjoy most their own county's food and eat other country's food to enjoy variety.

There is not clear winner about the best food because individual taste changes, but in my experience western people tend to be a bit more flexible when it comes to variety of food and will more easly accept middle eastern, south asian and south east asian food, japanese and to a lesser extent Chinese food (real Chinese food, not the adapted Chinese food you find in western countries)

East asian people tend to really like their own food and Chinese food (at least i often see Japanese business partners speak very well of Chinese food).

Chinese people have a lot of troubles accepting food from other countries (except maybe north east asian food)

most non Europeans that go to Europe prefer the food of the Mediterranean countries.

Mexicans and Indian people tend really like each other's foods.

Anyway, in summary there is not a clear cut winner, but you can see some trends.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58345 Posts

@nirgal: that's more or less how I feel.

I grew up [US] American (Californian, so always good ingredients here), and I don't really think America has a type of cuisine; we pick and choose from others, and adapt it to our tastes depending on our location/region/etc.

I've also been a cook, so I have been more adventurous than some. Ever since I could make my own tomato sauce, I've never bought a jar of pre-made stuff; however most Americans consider boiling pasta and reheating a jar of sauce to be "cooking".

Yes, I'm a snob😋Cooking is easy and infinitely better (and cheaper, ultimately) than reheating premade stuff.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that two days ago I had sushi, yesterday I had Indian, and today I had thai (chicken skewers and some green papaya salad). I'll probably have Mexican tomorrow. Who knows?

However, when I meal prep or cook for myself, it's about 50% "European" as that is how I was trained, but at the same time I also cook other stuff too. The thing is I need a recipe to cook Mexican food or Thai food or whatever, but I can generally go off instinct for European.

As you said, there is no winner, it's all pretty awesome. I think English food get's too much hate, though: yeah, they eat jellied eels, but they've also mastered fish and chips, various confections, and the English spin and history with English cuisine is really good.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45157 Posts

Lol no such thing as “European” food. Each country is different.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

Germany has some good food like schnitzels, curry wurst, spaezels (probably Austrian) and pancake variants. Not to mention the baking is way better than what you find in North America.

Europeans all steal each other’s food anyway, as far as I know, for example Germany had a great Italian restaurant the last time I was there.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

Nope. It’s got some of my favorites. I love stuff like bratwurst(which originated from Germany), Italian food(especially pizza and lasagna), breadsticks, French fries, goulash, English muffins(especially in breakfast sandwiches), crossiants, certain cheeses, etc.

Europe has some of the best chocolates, too. Would be awesome if America had stuff like Aero, Maltesers, Milkybar, orange Kit-Kats, Nestle Smarties, etc.

Twinings is one of my favorite tea brands, which originated from England. They have some pretty awesome flavors to choose from.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#19  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

Just remembered Calamari is probably Greek and that is better or tied with any food from a country OP mentioned. My opinion anyway.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9817 Posts

@Mercenary848: Problem for me with all of those kitchens you mentioned is that they I get tired of them because there’s little variation in flavours. European cuisine uses more varied flavours and textures. Thai people generally call our cuisine tasteless because we don’t use spices so dominantly, but after spending 3 weeks in Thailand, I got tired of the samey flavours.

Depends on what you grew up on.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I'm European and I mostly eat cuisines who originate from various European countries. I like flavourful food but not so much spicy food, since spicy food burns both as you swallow it and when it comes out the other end.

I'm not a masochist even though I'm somewhat of an adrenaline junkie. That's the main reason why I seldom eat Indian and Mexican food for example.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6895 Posts

I love European food. Italian, Greek and French especially. German food is also great.