Do you think 4K Ultra HD will be the last format available physically for TV/Movies?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I think it will be. That's why I'm only sticking with Blu-rays for the time being. (I still collect some DVD's too.)

I recently got rid of a lot of stuff from my physical DVD/Blu-ray collection. Impulse purchases mainly, watched a bit of and didn't like. Felt really good to be honest. I still like collecting, but I'm only buying the stuff I love from this point onward.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Probably, at least in a widespread manner. Studios are releasing all kinds of movies old and new in 4k. The 8k generation (or whatever it ends up being) will probably be disseminated through streaming/download.

There will always be a niche market for physical, like vinyl, but that will be for the few.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
"We are going to need a bigger internet".

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Technically, there will be a physical format in the form of NAND flash, for either storage or buffering. But in terms of a physical movie you buy off the shelf, UHD Blu-ray will likely be the last of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@speeny said:

I think it will be. That's why I'm only sticking with Blu-rays for the time being. (I still collect some DVD's too.)

I don't understand. Do you expect 4K UHD to die soon? Looking at all the catalog releases that are coming out, I don't see that happening anytime soon. I do think this will be the last home video format, but it seems to be thriving right now.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@speeny said:

I don't understand. Do you expect 4K UHD to die soon? Looking at all the catalog releases that are coming out, I don't see that happening anytime soon. I do think this will be the last home video format, but it seems to be thriving right now.

The marked is shrinking compared to before I believe.

With that said I have and still buy movies on blu-ray. No streaming service comes close in quality... Sure I am affected by limited bandwidth though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@horgen said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@speeny said:

With that said I have and still buy movies on blu-ray. No streaming service comes close in quality... Sure I am affected by limited bandwidth though.

Agreed. Far more to choose from than any one streaming service and far superior picture quality. I watched that Breaking Bad movie when it came out and was dismayed by some fuzzy pixelation in the darker scenes, after not streaming for a few months.

My shopping goes like this:

Netflix has it on Blu-ray? Rent it.

Netflix only has the DVD? Most likely buy the Blu-ray. May still rent the DVD. Depends.

There's a 4K and I like the movie or I'm confident I'll like it? Buy the 4K disc. Unless it's a bad transfer. See the disgusting digital noise reduction in Terminator 2.

I also still occasionally buy DVDs, if it's not available on higher formats. This year, I've had to do that for Aeon Flux, The Maxx and the later Peanuts specials.

So far my only blind 4K purchases have been The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. I did enjoy them. Thinking about importing Escape from New York and They Live. I love that all 4K discs are region free.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@horgen said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@speeny said:

Agreed. Far more to choose from than any one streaming service and far superior picture quality. I watched that Breaking Bad movie when it came out and was dismayed by some fuzzy pixelation in the darker scenes, after not streaming for a few months.

My shopping goes like this:

Netflix has it on Blu-ray? Rent it.

Netflix only has the DVD? Most likely buy the Blu-ray. May still rent the DVD. Depends.

There's a 4K and I like the movie or I'm confident I'll like it? Buy the 4K disc. Unless it's a bad transfer. See the disgusting digital noise reduction in Terminator 2.

I also still occasionally buy DVDs, if it's not available on higher formats. This year, I've had to do that for Aeon Flux, The Maxx and the later Peanuts specials.

So far my only blind 4K purchases have been The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. I did enjoy them. Thinking about importing Escape from New York and They Live. I love that all 4K discs are region free.

A lot of times I simply skip checking the Streaming services. Lousy selection of movies here imo. If it is a movie I really want to see, or a movie I enjoyed years ago and want to watch again. Buying it it is.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

Yes

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I thought I heard a long time ago that there was supposed to be something called holographic discs that held 250 gigs...

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Wouldn’t surprise me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

The 4K release of the Dollars (Man with No Name) trilogy got cancelled a couple of days ago because a 4K HDR treatment was deemed too costly. I was afraid 4K mastering was too expensive for lesser known movies. It means probably no Kurosawa, Fellini, Ozu, Bergman, Kieslowski, Fassbinder, John Cassavetes, Antonioni, Robert Altman, Jacques Tati, Herzog, etc. Because if something super well liked and popular like the Dollars trilogy can't get a 4K release, then good luck with the arthouse, niche and foreign. This format will have nowhere near the penetration that Blu-ray did.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

With advances in image quality on TV's and audio quality with things like Dolby Atmos, we 100% still need physical releases for movies. Disney + 4K for example, doesn't look as good as 1080p bluray and the best audio output is 5.1 "Dolby Atmos". I used the quotes because 5.1 isn't Atmos... UHD blurays offer the best audio and visual quality hands down. I really hope that people who are spending thousands on TV's and speakers aren't just streaming their content. That would be a HUGE waste.