do you support standarized testing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
so we started the standaardized tests this week in scholl. Do you think standardized testing is a good idea?
AncientNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 AncientNecro
Member since 2003 • 4957 Posts
no, standardized testing allows for NO skills of persuasion/debate to be tested and rewards guessing
Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
im like half and half since it tests my capabilities on what i learned in class and no cuz its boring and long
Falling_Behind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Falling_Behind
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
no, most of the time it's just guessing anyway. Not to mention most of it wasn't actually taught well because of some stupid teacher or another...
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
They need to change the way they measure how much a student has learned. The standardized test is dumb and ridiculous.. Middle Schools should do high school prep, and High schools should do college or carer prep. Testing should not be who can fill out the most bubbles correctly, instead it should be based more off the students reasoning and logic skills along, with basic college curriculum.
G4mbl3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 G4mbl3
Member since 2005 • 4155 Posts

They need to change the way they measure how much a student has learned. The standardized test is dumb and ridiculous.. Middle Schools should do high school prep, and High schools should do college or carer prep. Testing should not be who can fill out the most bubbles correctly, instead it should be based more off the students reasoning and logic skills along, with basic college curriculum. ferrari2001

this is exactly what it does

Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

Yes I support standardized testing 100%.

If you don't do the same tests as everyone else, how else are you supposed to know if you are stupid or not? Well then again if you are really dumb I guess that would be one thing you would be aware of.

And to the people who are saying no because it comes down to guessing....if you have to guess than you are doing it wrong.

The fact of the matter is that while being a pain in the butt to do, standardized tests gauge your capability in all of the basic areas that you NEED to know if you don't want to flip burgers your whole life, like reading comprehension, grammar, math, the various sciences, etc.

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts
no i hated taking them in school, i dont belive that test was a suitable judge of my general intelegence, it only tested 3 ares
Megaship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Megaship
Member since 2008 • 108 Posts

Yes I support standardized testing 100%.

If you don't do the same tests as everyone else, how else are you supposed to know if you are stupid or not? Well then again if you are really dumb I guess that would be one thing you would be aware of.

And to the people who are saying no because it comes down to guessing....if you have to guess than you are doing it wrong.

The fact of the matter is that while being a pain in the butt to do, standardized tests gauge your capability in all of the basic areas that you NEED to know if you don't want to flip burgers your whole life, like reading comprehension, grammar, math, the various sciences, etc.

Gamefan1986
Well what you say may be correct, the idea of standardized testing has multiple choice questions and doesn't cover 100% of all of the basics. It gives you the scores on how well you did on the paper and they don't 100% tell you how intelligent you are. There are many things involved like the time of how long you have before you have to turn it in, and the fact a person can be extremely lucky and get a lot of answers correct with a high score with the multiple choice. There aren't that many writing responses in there. So for me I don't think the standardized testings aren't that accurate.
ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts
Yes we need to start using not just as an assessment for students but for teachers too. If the students are not getting good scores in that specific area, u need to get someone else to teach them. Problem with our education is that it does not put enough responsibility on the teacher. Ya every class will have their slackers but more often then not u will get a good assessment of that subject by the overall average. If it doesn't follow the bell curve or better fire that subject area. If a subject gets good marks on an average incentives should be given to the teacher and with incentives/bonuses u will attract more to become teachers while making current ones do better at their jobs. Teachers are horribly underpaid which helps continue USA's sub-par intelligence and education.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
Hate it... it just proves that I am lazy because I guess on them.
Huell_Howser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Huell_Howser
Member since 2008 • 364 Posts
Although not a definitive measure of how smart or knowledgable a student is, they do provide general summaries of students' basic performance. I never really cared though because when I used to take them back in high school I always scored in like the top 5% nationally on all the tests because the topics covered were so easy they were practically a joke. Its just hard to get students motivated to try hard on them if they're forced to take them. What's the point in trying hard to excel when there's nothing in it for you? Unlike tests such as the ACT or SAT which greatly affect factors such as getting accepted to college or receiving scholarships.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
No. They simply don't work, because there are different types of learners. Tailoring standardized tests and an overall curriculum to favor one type of learner while discriminating against all other types...it's failing too many of our kids and so much potential remains untapped because of it.
Algor44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Algor44
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
No. They should just call it guessing.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts
Yes, because you get out of school early during testing weeks.
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts
No. It's a test of how well you retain information (Math and Verbal), and how well you can form an argument (Writing). It does not test the rate or capacity of learning of the students.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
It has its problems, but I don't see how else states, schools, colleges, etc. can see how much you know and measure students against others.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
No, mainly because i suck at them.