Do you ever go to steakhouses and not order steak?

#1 Edited by JustPlainLucas (79249 posts) -

I'm not a steak person. I never go to a steakhouse myself, unless there's an occasion like an anniversary or birthday. I'll order a burger, or grilled chicken breast or catfish. I don't remember the last time I ever had a steak from a steakhouse.... I just feel steak is... overrated.

#2 Posted by SOedipus (11359 posts) -

I love steak. And yes, I’ll get stuff other than steak at a steak house. Ribs!!!

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

I don't think there are any, or at least that many steak-houses over here.

Saying that, we don't really them. Scotland has some of the best beef in the world.

Generally any old bit of steak will do, as long as it has some mushrooms to go with it.

#4 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25225 posts) -

Sure. Seafood at Texas Outback. Or, I might order gumbo at The Cheesecake Factory. Sometimes, I even order burger and fries at the Miss Saigon (Vietnamese food) restaurant at the U of Arizona.

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Sure. Seafood at Texas Outback. Or, I might order gumbo at The Cheesecake Factory. Sometimes, I even order burger and fries at the Miss Saigon (Vietnamese food) restaurant at the U of Arizona.

Always wanted to try this. Again, hard thing to get in the UK if you aren't manually making it.

#6 Posted by jaydan (2096 posts) -

I honestly can't recall the last time I went to a steakhouse. Ten years ago, maybe? It's not really my forte. I am a much bigger seafood person.

#7 Posted by brimmul777 (4004 posts) -

I usually order ribeye when going to a decent steakhouse, but I have ordered fish and chips or grilled chicken club numerous times. I do have a weakness for steak though.

#8 Edited by warmblur (1963 posts) -

Sometimes I just get wings at a steakhouse but most of the time I go with prime rib it's so good.

#9 Posted by shellcase86 (4324 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I don't believe those would be considered steakhouses.

OT: No, I haven't yet. I don't go to steakhouses often, but when I do -- I'm getting steak.

#10 Posted by Lightening411 (13662 posts) -

I haven't been to a steakhouse in a long time but when I did, I did order steak!

#11 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25225 posts) -
@shellcase86 said:

I don't believe those would be considered steakhouses.

OT: No, I haven't yet. I don't go to steakhouses often, but when I do -- I'm getting steak.

Every "steak house" in town offer alternatives to steak/red meat. I haven't seen a pure steak house in years.

#12 Posted by VFighter (4623 posts) -

If I'm going to a steak house I'm getting steak, I'm not going to over pay for their other dishes.

#13 Posted by Speeny (1369 posts) -

Yeah. Sometimes a chicken parm if it's available or some kind of seafood but...usually it'll be steak. Maybe if they have a nice chowder as an entree I'll get that too.

#14 Posted by Sevenizz (3413 posts) -

No, but sometimes the sides are done better than the supposed star of the show.

#15 Posted by sakaiXx (5161 posts) -

yeah.. I usually order pasta at my area. Loved their pasta

#17 Posted by Serraph105 (33527 posts) -

I do love steak, but they tend to be way overpriced so yeah, I'll get other dishes at a steakhouse, but I'll get a steak from time to time as well. Usually I just cook them at home though and save money.

I'm trying to remember the last time I had a steak at a restaurant now...hmm it must have been a while.

#18 Posted by fireman64 (50 posts) -

I'm not a big steak fan either … I'll something else.

#19 Posted by Boddicker (4458 posts) -

I find the steaks way too overpriced at steakhouses here in America, so I usually end up getting a big ass burger and fries.

#20 Edited by HEATHEN75 (643 posts) -

Hells yeah! Love me a good New York. I'm big on surf and turf myself. Used to go to a place that had a great steak and salmon combo. Went there one night with my wife and a couple friends and they had pulled it from the menu. I ordered two dinners to make my own combo.

Oops. This is about ordering other than steak. I have ordered pork chops at a steak house before. Surprised by how juicy they were. Made me realize my wife overcooks them just a bit. She even said the same after trying a bite.

#21 Posted by shellcase86 (4324 posts) -
@Sevenizz said:

No, but sometimes the sides are done better than the supposed star of the show.

You're going to the wrong steakhouses, then.

#22 Posted by flashn00b (3594 posts) -

I like steak as much as the next guy, though I personally find that steakhouses are probably the best place to grab a plate of salmon with rice