Do you consider the Middle-East as part of Asia?

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

I've been thinking about this one for a while now. I'm half Middle-Eastern, but I've never thought to call myself Asian, (at least not in the sense that Chinese, Koreans, etc, are), but I had someone point out that the Middle-East is not only recognized by the UN as Asia, it's considered "West Asia", too. And of course, there's no "middle-eastern" continent to speak of.

So I suppose my question is this: do you consider Middle-Easterners, and by extension, the Middle East, as Asian, or part of Asia? I think it depends on where you are, in the UK they tend to think about Asian as around Iran,so I was curious to see everyone's responses.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I won't deny that sometimes when referring to Asians, I have the Chinese, Japanese and Korean people in mind. But the Middle-East is of course part of Asia, as is Russia too. Perhaps the cultural differences between them as well as the media are responsible for this false assumption.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

If I'm thinking location/geography then I refer to the Middle East as Asia. If I'm thinking people, I refer to those from the Middle East as Middle-Eastern, not Asians. Technically, "Asian" is a correct term but mostly everyone calls them Middle-Eastern. Just a term I grew up with and is still commonly used to this day.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@johnd13 said:

I won't deny that sometimes when referring to Asians, I have the Chinese, Japanese and Korean people in mind. But the Middle-East is of course part of Asia, as is Russia too. Perhaps the cultural differences between them as well as the media are responsible for this false assumption.

You make a good point about Russians, as well on the cultural aspect.

The thing is though, Indians have near to nothing in common with East Asians culturally. In fact, it's insane just how similar Middle Eastern and Indian/Pakistani cultures are, yet they're still (mostly) considered Asian.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

I'm from Pakistan and I'm more readily identified with Middle Eastern than Asian or South Asian. And frankly, I use 'Asian' for East Asian countries as well.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

The Middle East is apart of Asia in my eyes.

I think once you start going East of Turkey roughly, than you're in Asia.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShadowsDemon

@themanofpears said:

The Middle East is apart of Asia in my eyes.

I think once you start going East of Turkey roughly, than you're in Asia.

Agreed - Turkey is the gateway between Asia and Europe. It's just that what is technically is and what people generally assign it to be are two wildly different things.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Geographically yes but culturally no, much like India I think of them as separate culturally.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I tend to use more individual countries of origin or regional references.

He looks Japanese.

He looks Turkish.

He looks like someone from the Middle East.

He looks like someone from Southeast Asia.

But, Asian in general? Nope. I like to narrow things down somewhat as a starting point.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@and1salttape said:

I'm from Pakistan and I'm more readily identified with Middle Eastern than Asian or South Asian. And frankly, I use 'Asian' for East Asian countries as well.

But I rather be identified as "Asian". There's nothing wrong with simply calling someone from "Middle East" "Middle Eastern" but the problem is with Orientalism. To some, Middle East is just some big desert with oil/terrorism.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheManofPears

@ShadowsDemon: Turkey itself doesn't seem sure if it's in Europe or Asia. Seems to be a constant problem over there from my very limited understanding

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I do not.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

@themanofpears: how come you don't know the difference between "then" and "than"?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts

kind of, not really. Technically they're part of Asia, but they don't really count. I mean tomatoes are technically a fruit, but we don't eat them like they are, so you wouldn't be wrong to call them a vegetable.

and don't mid-easterners (Arabs? Is that the right nomenclature, dude?) consist primarily of Caucasians/white people?

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShadowsDemon
@mrbojangles25 said:

and don't mid-easterners (Arabs? Is that the right nomenclature, dude?) consist primarily of Caucasians/white people?

No.

I mean, there's plenty of fair skinned arabs, but there's also a huge amount of black Arabs and Arabs with Indian ancestry. I'm only half Arab, but I've got almost-black hair and olive skin - almost everyone (falsely) guesses that I'm Turkish or Moroccan - and I'm nowhere to near as dark as some Arabs are.

Of course, Salman Rushdie looks (almost) about Caucasian as they get, despite being Indian.

The way I understand America's ever-changing stance on race (logged this day, this minute) is that if you're non-European you're considered non-white, so that applies to Arabs, too.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Same race, yes. Most people in the Middle East are caucasoid. A lot of people think of them as a different race because skin colour/tone may be different when, in fact, skin tone/colour is the last thing to consider when identifying a race.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

Technically it's part of Asia but most people don't call the inhabitants Asian....why? Not sure.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Middle East is the Middle East. Asia is Asia.

The main reason why there is a delineation between the two (as far as I understand) stems from Middle Eastern people being of either Arab or Aryan (Indo-European) descent and Asians being of Mongoloid descent. Two distinct genetic groups with specific differences.

Which is why the "Middle East" ends in Pakistan and "Asia" starts in India. The Hindu Kush mountains being the less-political genetic border.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AND1SALTTAPE

@alim298 said:
@and1salttape said:

But I rather be identified as "Asian". There's nothing wrong with simply calling someone from "Middle East" "Middle Eastern" but the problem is with Orientalism. To some, Middle East is just some big desert with oil/terrorism.

I was about to mention that in my post but dunno why I didn't.

Generally speaking, racial divisions have always been the concern of the West. For the countries influenced by Islam, such divisions have always been superficial. Maybe at some point they started mattering for us but in reality, we still identify people with their religions. It's not uncommon to hear people speak of white people as 'Christian'. While that maybe factually wrong, it's still a lot better than stereotyping people based on their colors.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

No one considers the middle east or even India Asia.

But yeah I guess they technically are.

But the Continents are wrong anyways.

There is only 4 not 7.

AfroEuAsian, America, Australia, Antarctica.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ShadowsDemon

@alim298 said:
@and1salttape said:

Yeah, which is why I just identify as Asian when I'm online - it's easier that way. Saying Arab or Middle-Eastern doesn't exactly bring up the best thoughts to mind. Plus, I'd rather be an anime character than a camel rider. ;)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

Are Canadians/Mexicans North Americans?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@LJS9502_basic:

Are Canadians/Mexicans North Americans?

Yes but what does that have to do with anything?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts
@ShadowsDemon said:

I've been thinking about this one for a while now. I'm half Middle-Eastern, but I've never thought to call myself Asian, (at least not in the sense that Chinese, Koreans, etc, are), but I had someone point out that the Middle-East is not only recognized by the UN as Asia, it's considered "West Asia", too. And of course, there's no "middle-eastern" continent to speak of.

So I suppose my question is this: do you consider Middle-Easterners, and by extension, the Middle East, as Asian, or part of Asia? I think it depends on where you are, in the UK they tend to think about Asian as around Iran,so I was curious to see everyone's responses.

Geographically, most of the Middle East (except for Egypt) is part of Asia. That's not debatable.

More-or-less true about the UK. In the UK, the word Asian usually refers to brown Southern Asians, especially people with origins in the Indian subcontinent (e.g. Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis).

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jag85  Online

@foxhound_fox said:

The Middle East is the Middle East. Asia is Asia.

The main reason why there is a delineation between the two (as far as I understand) stems from Middle Eastern people being of either Arab or Aryan (Indo-European) descent and Asians being of Mongoloid descent. Two distinct genetic groups with specific differences.

Which is why the "Middle East" ends in Pakistan and "Asia" starts in India. The Hindu Kush mountains being the less-political genetic border.

Indians and Pakistanis are the same race, and were the same country until the 20th century. There is no genetic divide between India and Pakistan. And the majority of India's population are "Indo-Aryan".

@kend0_kap0ni said:

Like the OP said, that depends where you live. In the UK, most folks use the word Asian to refer almost exclusively to brown Southern Asians.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@Jag85 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

Like the OP said, that depends where you live. In the UK, most folks use the word Asian to refer almost exclusively to brown Southern Asians.

Yep. I'm Aussie, and down here "Asian" almost always means South-East Asia, like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. When you look at the geography, you begin to understand why.

I've even heard Aussie Indians apply the term "Asian" to other people, but not themselves.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jag85  Online

@ShadowsDemon said:
@Jag85 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

Yep. I'm Aussie, and down here "Asian" almost always means South-East Asia, like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. When you look at the geography, you begin to understand why.

I've even heard Aussie Indians apply the term "Asian" to other people, but not themselves.

It depends where most of the Asian migrants come from. If most of them come from East Asia (like North America) or Southeast Asia (like Australia), then that's what the word "Asian" will mean. If most of them come from South Asia (like the UK), then that's what the word "Asian" will mean. For a long time, the UK census even excluded East Asians from the "Asian" category.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@and1salttape said:

Lol ... please .... some Indonesian or Malaysian moslem readily identified themself as Middle Eastern too ....

Why do so many Pakistanis desperately want to be Arab?

Stop trying to be like Arabs

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jag85  Online

@hippiesanta said:
@and1salttape said:

Lol ... please .... some Indonesian or Malaysian moslem readily identified themself as Middle Eastern too ....

Many Pakistanis identify as "Middle Eastern" to distinguish themselves from Indians, because of bad blood between Indians and Pakistanis.

That article is talking about culture, not race. The Sultan is opposing the Arabization of Malay culture.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AND1SALTTAPE

@hippiesanta said:
@and1salttape said:

I wouldn't care in the slightest if, in the future, Pakistan is considered, geographically not just politically, a part of the Middle East. For the life of me I cannot even understand the obsession with geographical borders or race. Sounds like something only the West obsesses over. Sure there are Arabs too proud of their lineage but if you come here, literally no one gives a f**k as long as you don't call them Christian or Jew or Atheist or any non-Islamic thing.

Also, Arabs, for the most part, suck.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheManofPears

@k--m--k: It was a simple mistake, I'm afraid I can't be perfect all the time.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Parts of the Middle East are in Asia I guess...

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Yes. Though calling it Middle East has to do with it being the part of the world that is between Europe and what you generally consider Asia. Likely due to the slight difference in culture and how the ethnic apperance can look both similar to European and Asian ethnicities. But the Middle eastern nations themselves are part of Asia if you divide the world up into it's continents.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jag85  Online

Technically, Europe isn't even a continent, but a subcontinent of Eurasia, just like the Indian subcontinent.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShadowsDemon

@Treflis said:

Yes. Though calling it Middle East has to do with it being the part of the world that is between Europe and what you generally consider Asia. Likely due to the slight difference in culture and how the ethnic apperance can look both similar to European and Asian ethnicities. But the Middle eastern nations themselves are part of Asia if you divide the world up into it's continents.

Yeah, the term "Middle-Eastern" is a Western one, absolutely.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Everything except for Egypt west of Sinai, the European side of Istanbul and maybe Cyprus.