Do You Care About Going to a Prestigious University?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
or as long as you go somewhere you're ok? If yes...then have you succeeded in getting into a prestigious institution?
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
As long as I can get a decent Engineering degree I'm fine with it. Of course, you can't just go anywhere to get an engineering degree to begin with, so I guess I care about how presigious the place is to a certain degree.
1337_ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 1337_ownage
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts
I do, better college = better career
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

I do, better college = better career1337_ownage

Back in the day that was the case - now more people are getting college degrees and the name of the school doesnt bear as much weight unless you're talking about your masters.

Lets face it - what would look better - art major from Stanford or Business law major from so and so

peeviness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peeviness
Member since 2004 • 2023 Posts
I want to go to law school, so where I go to undergraduate school doesn't really matter as much as what law school I get into.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Well i found the college I was looking for, one that basically grantees a job after graduation and one that pays well, its not a prestigious university, but its what I want.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
I just want a good education. When it comes to programming, it's more about what you know and how you can apply it than the fancy college you attended.
Mystery-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mystery-
Member since 2007 • 2144 Posts
Not really...
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
While it doesn't matter as much as it used to, it still certainly matters. If I wanted to hire the two exact same candidates, except one went to Yale and one went to Lakeland Community College, I think the answer is obvious.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aznsilvrboy

I just want a good education. When it comes to programming, it's more about what you know and how you can apply it than the fancy college you attended.DeeJayInphinity

But wouldn't employers be more likely to give you an interview if you went to a prestigious institution?

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeeJayInphinity

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]I just want a good education. When it comes to programming, it's more about what you know and how you can apply it than the fancy college you attended.Aznsilvrboy

But wouldn't employers be more likely to give you an interview if you went to a prestigious institution?

Sure, but if you have the skill, you wont have any trouble finding a job.
Still, at the end of the day, it comes down to skill. Do employers keep crappy employees just because they went to a nice school?
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aznsilvrboy
[QUOTE="Aznsilvrboy"]

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]I just want a good education. When it comes to programming, it's more about what you know and how you can apply it than the fancy college you attended.DeeJayInphinity

Still, at the end of the day, it comes down to skill. Do employers keep crappy employees just because they went to a nice school?

Yes I completely agree. It's just that an employer is certainly going to choose lets say...a MIT graduate in engineering over some other person with the same degree from some random school during the hiring process.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Still, at the end of the day, it comes down to skill. Do employers keep crappy employees just because they went to a nice school?DeeJayInphinity

Unfortunately in the real word, I have no idea what your skills are, except what you write down on paper. The school will get your foot in the door because I know Harvard teaches excellence.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

[QUOTE="1337_ownage"]I do, better college = better careerSajedene

Back in the day that was the case - now more people are getting college degrees and the name of the school doesnt bear as much weight unless you're talking about your masters.

Lets face it - what would look better - art major from Stanford or Business law major from so and so

Well the degree certainly matters, so a business degree from stanford would be better than a business degrree from *insert community college*

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Aznsilvrboy
Hm..so where are all of you attending or have attended? I'm going to the University of Toronto, for computer science.
marty_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 marty_81
Member since 2003 • 2823 Posts
I'm going into my fourth year of mechanical engineering at Queen's University.
ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
Yes, I consider it important. Thankfully, I got accepted to the United States Military Academy at West Point.
japa28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 japa28
Member since 2004 • 2797 Posts
not necessarily prestigious, i just want a university with a good program for undergraduate sciences. i recently accepted my offer to McGill University in Montreal, Quebec which I feel has a good science program.
ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts
I dont really care. im going to try but if doesnt happen its all good. as someone posted earlier i just want a good engineering degree, so i can rake in all the money 8)
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Aznsilvrboy

not necessarily prestigious, i just want a university with a good program for undergraduate sciences. i recently accepted my offer to McGill University in Montreal, Quebec which I feel has a good science program.japa28

What was your average in HS? I read/heard that McGill admission averages are the highest in Canada (90%+).

gun65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gun65
Member since 2004 • 3312 Posts
Yeah somewhat, I want to go to a respectable university for something like computer engineering.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts
It matters to me a lot. My dream school was Stanford University. My dad went there, and so I had a lot of pressure to get in there as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get in, so instead I go to UC Berkeley. Don't get me wrong, CAL is a top #20 school, but I had my heart set on Stanford. It took a while, but now I'm not so dead set on Stanford anymore for MED school at least. I'd be grateful just to get in anywhere since the competition is out of this world now. I have learned, however, even if you end up going to the Carribean, you still have a shot at becoming a wealthy doctor when you transfer back over to the US. So yeah your grad school doesn't determine everything if you go into medicine, but it certainly would help to go to a top ranked one.
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DeeJayInphinity

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]Sure, but if you have the skill, you wont have any trouble finding a job.
Still, at the end of the day, it comes down to skill. Do employers keep crappy employees just because they went to a nice school?LukeAF24

Unfortunately in the real word, I have no idea what your skills are, except what you write down on paper. The school will get your foot in the door because I know Harvard teaches excellence.

Hmm yup I guess it does make a big difference. It's also likely that a person who comes from a prestigious university will start with a higher salary, right?
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Aznsilvrboy

It matters to me a lot. My dream school was Stanford University. My dad went there, and so I had a lot of pressure to get in there as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get in, so instead I go to UC Berkeley. Don't get me wrong, CAL is a top #20 school, but I had my heart set on Stanford. It took a while, but now I'm not so dead set on Stanford anymore for MED school at least. I'd be grateful just to get in anywhere since the competition is out of this world now. I have learned, however, even if you end up going to the Carribean, you still have a shot at becoming a wealthy doctor when you transfer back over to the US. So yeah your grad school doesn't determine everything if you go into medicine, but it certainly would help to go to a top ranked one. Renegade_Fury

UC Berkely is a great school, my uncle went there. Good luck on getting into med school.

Colbert_Nation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Colbert_Nation
Member since 2008 • 158 Posts
I don't care. I'm looking to go to the military after college, so it doesn't really matter what university/college I graduate from
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Aznsilvrboy

I don't care. I'm looking to go to the military after college, so it doesn't really matter what university/college I graduate fromColbert_Nation

Do you even need to go to college to be in the military...?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]It matters to me a lot. My dream school was Stanford University. My dad went there, and so I had a lot of pressure to get in there as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get in, so instead I go to UC Berkeley. Don't get me wrong, CAL is a top #20 school, but I had my heart set on Stanford. It took a while, but now I'm not so dead set on Stanford anymore for MED school at least. I'd be grateful just to get in anywhere since the competition is out of this world now. I have learned, however, even if you end up going to the Carribean, you still have a shot at becoming a wealthy doctor when you transfer back over to the US. So yeah your grad school doesn't determine everything if you go into medicine, but it certainly would help to go to a top ranked one. Aznsilvrboy

UC Berkely is a great school, my uncle went there. Good luck on getting into med school.

Thanks, I apprecitate it. It seems now you pretty much need at least a 3.8 GPA (let alone your science GPA) and a near perfect MCAT score to get in anywhere prestigous now. Not only that, but if you have never done any research, followed a doctor, and have not done any community service on top of it, schools might not even look at you.

Colbert_Nation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Colbert_Nation
Member since 2008 • 158 Posts

[QUOTE="Colbert_Nation"]I don't care. I'm looking to go to the military after college, so it doesn't really matter what university/college I graduate fromAznsilvrboy

No, but I want to go in as an officer.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f8be37da70d
deactivated-58f8be37da70d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 deactivated-58f8be37da70d
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts
Simply put, No. Less than 20 percent of Americans (believe it or not) have a bachelors degree, so in the grand scheme of things it's not where you go that matters, but what you make of it. I didn't apply to any "prestigious" colleges mainly because most of the people who go to those institutions are so smug and full of themselves that it makes me sick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-58f8be37da70d
[QUOTE="Aznsilvrboy"]

[QUOTE="Colbert_Nation"]I don't care. I'm looking to go to the military after college, so it doesn't really matter what university/college I graduate fromColbert_Nation

No, but I want to go in as an officer.

ROTC? What branch? I start in 2 months - Army.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Simply put, No. Less than 20 percent of Americans (believe it or not) have a bachelors degree, so in the grand scheme of things it's not where you go that matters, but what you make of it. I didn't apply to any "prestigious" colleges mainly because most of the people who go to those institutions are so smug and full of themselves that it makes me sick. specialedpal

65% of Americans are also 0-21 or 55+. That's a flawed statistic.

Luke-85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Luke-85
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts
MIT is different, it's...MIT, if you go to an Ivy league svhool it's different, but anything beow Ivy Legaue doen't make too much of a difference as long as it isn't community college.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-58f8be37da70d

[QUOTE="specialedpal"]Simply put, No. Less than 20 percent of Americans (believe it or not) have a bachelors degree, so in the grand scheme of things it's not where you go that matters, but what you make of it. I didn't apply to any "prestigious" colleges mainly because most of the people who go to those institutions are so smug and full of themselves that it makes me sick. LukeAF24

65% of Americans are also 0-21 or 55+. That's a flawed statistic.

True. Either way though, what im trying to get at is that if you get a bachelors degree, no matter where its from, you can be successful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

True. Either way though, what im trying to get at is that if you get a bachelors degree, no matter where its from, you can be successful. specialedpal

Certainly, but that's not what we were debating. The debate was if a degree from University A holds more clout than a degree from University B.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-58f8be37da70d

[QUOTE="specialedpal"]True. Either way though, what im trying to get at is that if you get a bachelors degree, no matter where its from, you can be successful. LukeAF24

Certainly, but that's not what we were debating. The debate was if a degree from University A holds more clout than a degree from University B.

Well yes, it does. Heck I dont care though im going into the Army after college so none of that really matters to me :P
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Aznsilvrboy

MIT is different, it's...MIT, if you go to an Ivy league svhool it's different, but anything beow Ivy Legaue doen't make too much of a difference as long as it isn't community college.Luke-85

I beieve MIT is not an Ivy league school, but I'd put it in a league of it's own anyways:P

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
I got in to a very prestigious university, however I couldn't pay for it. That's not to say that where I'm going is bad in any way. I would have liked to go to a really elite school, but it's really not a huge issue any more.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Aznsilvrboy

I got in to a very prestigious university, however I couldn't pay for it. That's not to say that where I'm going is bad in any way. I would have liked to go to a really elite school, but it's really not a huge issue any more.bman784

Do you mind sharing what university that would be? I know American universities have crazy tuition compared to the ones over here in Canada...

Sports_N_E_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sports_N_E_1
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
They say knowledge is power and i believe that to a certain point. but i firmly do believe that colleges and universities are mainly business becuase of the cost of tuition and all that.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts

[QUOTE="bman784"]I got in to a very prestigious university, however I couldn't pay for it. That's not to say that where I'm going is bad in any way. I would have liked to go to a really elite school, but it's really not a huge issue any more.Aznsilvrboy

Do you mind sharing what university that would be? I know American universities have crazy tuition compared to the ones over here in Canada...

California Institute of Technology. I'm currently going to the University of Colorado, Boulder.
Whicker89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Whicker89
Member since 2004 • 18919 Posts
University Bachelors are weighed the same here, no matter what university you went to.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Aznsilvrboy
[QUOTE="Aznsilvrboy"]

[QUOTE="bman784"]I got in to a very prestigious university, however I couldn't pay for it. That's not to say that where I'm going is bad in any way. I would have liked to go to a really elite school, but it's really not a huge issue any more.bman784

California Institute of Technology. I'm currently going to the University of Colorado, Boulder.

Wow...very impressive...

BohemianAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BohemianAndy
Member since 2007 • 1413 Posts

I go to one currently, so I guess so :P

Currently finishing 3rd and final year of a BSc at the University of Western Australia. Aiming for medical school after.

Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
Hell no. That's a good aspiration for most people, but I am definitely not planning on anything of the sort.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
I dont really see myself at University or College.
camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts

I think they're over rated. Sure they may have a higher chance of educating better than the average other university, but that doesn't guarrantee your local community college can't teach it any better. So from a perspective of money, it's not even close to being worth the $20,000 a year to go to some of them. It's ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that most colleges consist of a guy standing in front of a group of hundreds of students (who the prof. doesn't even know all the names to) and you for some reason have to pay for that....When they could simply record all the lectures and put them on Youtube for free for everyone to access. GEE what a concept?!

At this point I have little chance in getting into the bigger name universities because of my grades, but what matters more is the field I'm interested in and my aspirations and how they get be developed through much cheaper and nearly equally good colleges. I don't see why people look at those colleges and takes them seriously.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
as long as you have a degree it doesnt matter much
Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Redgarl
Member since 2002 • 13252 Posts

[QUOTE="1337_ownage"]I do, better college = better careerSajedene

Your totally right, now employers only care aboutthe paper... they don't care about marks or skills.

I know, I am an engineer searching for my first job and I can only notice how stupid the peoples searching for us are.

_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 _Marisa_
Member since 2003 • 12204 Posts
I care very much so.