Do you belive there is other life in the univurse?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XvX_Fear_XvX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 XvX_Fear_XvX
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts
I do for shur. we are little earth. we havnt been past the moon with man. we covered like .0000000000000000000000000000000001% with alot more 0's of our galaxy. there are billions and billions of galaxies plus all of the dark matter and stuff. that is sooo fricking big. i mean there just has to be life somewhere. what do u think?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
There doesn't have to be life elsewhere. There doesn't HAVE to be anything :x
XvX_Fear_XvX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XvX_Fear_XvX
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts
There doesn't have to be life elsewhere. There doesn't HAVE to be anything :xJandurin
well i get that but i mean.... it seems to be likely
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
Of course there is some where in the vastness of space
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
There is evidence of other life, but no concrete proof. Until there is, I'm on the fence.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
isnt it just a question of launching a monkey out into deep space in a life-sustaining pod? there, theres life other places.
mosdef_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mosdef_basic
Member since 2002 • 7619 Posts
I dunno. Anythings possible. Just because it hasn't been proven yet doesn't mean it's not so. Man has only been on the earth a relatively short time in comparison, and have only been able to explore space for even less time. Who knows what we will discover about the universe in the future.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
It depends on what you mean by life, since in scientific terms, micro bacteria counts as life, so with that in mind, if there's life outside of Earth in the universe, it doesn't need to be some intelligent race of beings.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I do not believe in life outside our planet in the manner that is generally perceived... This does not mean I think there to not be life outside our planet.
Avatar image for NoSpeakyEnglish
NoSpeakyEnglish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoSpeakyEnglish
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
Of course there has to be life on other planets just by odds alone. However we may be the only intelligent lifeforms, which is kinda sobering.
obsolete2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 obsolete2k1
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

Cthulhu!!!

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I believe there's a very high probability of life.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DrSponge
[QUOTE="DrSponge"]There is evidence of other life, but no concrete proof. Until there is, I'm on the fence.SEANMCAD
If you had to get concrete proof for everything you would spend a lifetime trying to get all the proof you needed to confirm that you will in fact wake up in the morning and you can in fact take a shower to get fairly clean. Or, you could just hedge your bets and give it a shot without concrete proof.

We can't see life on other planets, therefore it has to be proven. You can see that you wake up in the morning and you feel clean after a shower and soap&water is known to clean you; proven.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
i hope there is, untill there is solid proof im not going to waste any breath on it
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

I think there is

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DrSponge

[QUOTE="DrSponge"][QUOTE="SEANMCAD"] If you had to get concrete proof for everything you would spend a lifetime trying to get all the proof you needed to confirm that you will in fact wake up in the morning and you can in fact take a shower to get fairly clean. Or, you could just hedge your bets and give it a shot without concrete proof.SEANMCAD

We can't see life on other planets, therefore it has to be proven. You can see that you wake up in the morning and you feel clean after a shower and soap&water is known to clean you; proven.

sounds like although you demand proove for everything you are actually not at all familiar with the requirements of proove becuase what we all "see" is not how things really are. To "see" or "feel" something does NOT proove anything in the scientific relms.

So with that, looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you just to make it to work each morning.

It's proof enough to me that the bottle of water next to me exists because I can see it :| And yes, to feel something, is for it to be proved, since everything is made of molecules, you can feel it because of the presence of the molecules. Why don't you think feeling something proves it is there?
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I am what would be considered a "weak atheist" equivalent in terms of my belief of life outside of Earth. I simply do not believe, but am willing to reconsider with evidence, which in my guess, would be a matter of time.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts

Of course. The universe's huge, possibly infinite. There's bound to be some form of life, somewhere.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
There doesn't have to be life elsewhere. There doesn't HAVE to be anything :xJandurin
according to the doctor.... *whistels*
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrSponge
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]There doesn't have to be life elsewhere. There doesn't HAVE to be anything :xDeihjan

Yes, teh doctor has spoken. *runs away before they ask for proof again >__>*
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihjan"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]There doesn't have to be life elsewhere. There doesn't HAVE to be anything :xDrSponge

Yes, teh doctor has spoken. *runs away before they ask for proof again >__>*

"excuse me, who are you?"

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#24 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

off course theres is life out there

Life is a rare phenomena , but out galaxy alone has more than 100 billion star not to mintion another even bigger galaxies, the chances are slim that we find it using our current technology but it well get better in the future

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts
i am totally with you in life is out there some were no matter how far away it is or primitive
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127523 Posts
Yeah I do... Why? I have no idea except that the universe is a big place with many planets.. Where some probably will be lik earth
Avatar image for thirteen_zombie
thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thirteen_zombie
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
My view has always been this: if you look up at night and think that where ever you look regardless of wether its a black space or a little white dot you're staring at a planet somewhere in the universe. to think that we are the only life forms in between millions and trillions of planets it is impossible to believe we are the only life forms out there. maybe they are all covered in strange plants or other organic life forms, or maybe there are bizzare animals out there, or possibly another race just like us out there. No matter how you view it, to think we are the only thing in the universe seems silly. If we are infact the only life forms out there, what is the meaning to having trillions of planets, suns and galaxies for one life form that cant even reach beyond their edges of their own galaxy? What would be the use of having all these balls of gas? unless we are to use them for harvesting solar energy or design a better way to travel thru the universe and expand our race there would be no meaning to them. I've never understood why there would be such a large area of unused space for one life form to populate, or how we would be so lucky to be given our own galaxy but we are thousands of years behind the technology we need to make use of the whole universe. So do i believe that there are other lifeforms yes, but I wouldn't want to make a guess on what those lifeforms are. There may be nothing in the universe but plants and animals, there may be nothing in the universe but asteroids and comets, but it seems to me that there is too much space far and in between us for the universe to be for the sole purpose of the human race.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
but it seems to me that there is too much space far and in between us for the universe to be for the sole purpose of the human race.thirteen_zombie
your premise requires that there is a "purpose"
thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thirteen_zombie
[QUOTE="thirteen_zombie"]but it seems to me that there is too much space far and in between us for the universe to be for the sole purpose of the human race.Jandurin

If you were to view the universe as a whole it would be nothing but tiny little dots, looking like microsopic molocules. We could very well just be a pitri dish of some cruel joke, or just a strand of DNA making up something larger. We may be a puddle on the ground somewhere else or we may be the chemical make up a material we've never heard of. I'm not saying that our lives serve some divine purpose or that the galaxy has a purpose, I just dont think the whole universe is for the use and enjoyment of only the human race on earth. I also dont think that a new life form needs to have a picture or physically be proven to be true. Think about the Flat Earth theory. When it was believed there was an edge to our world that you could walk out on and fall off the face of the planet. It was proved wrong much much later in time, but that doesnt mean that while they believed the earth was flat it actually was until we proved it wrong, or that finally proving it changed the make up of the earth because obviously it was round before we thought it was flat and will stay round for eternity wether people chose to believe it or not.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrSponge

[QUOTE="DrSponge"][QUOTE="SEANMCAD"] If you had to get concrete proof for everything you would spend a lifetime trying to get all the proof you needed to confirm that you will in fact wake up in the morning and you can in fact take a shower to get fairly clean. Or, you could just hedge your bets and give it a shot without concrete proof.SEANMCAD

In fact, I would go as far as to say that its more likely to be life on other planets then it is for you to get up and get clean tomorrow successfully and yet you go about doing that without proove of success every morning.

That's nice. I don't.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DrSponge
[QUOTE="DrSponge"][QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

In fact, I would go as far as to say that its more likely to be life on other planets then it is for you to get up and get clean tomorrow successfully and yet you go about doing that without proove of success every morning.

SEANMCAD
That's nice. I don't.

well if I had the time I am extreemly confident that I could proove that there is a larger chance of life existing on other planets then you successfully taking a shower tomorrow morning

I'm worried if you're serious.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
its hard 2 belive that their is but at the same time look at the size of the universe
_Brennan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 _Brennan_
Member since 2008 • 3241 Posts
I don't think there is...
thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thirteen_zombie
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="thirteen_zombie"]but it seems to me that there is too much space far and in between us for the universe to be for the sole purpose of the human race.thirteen_zombie

If you were to view the universe as a whole it would be nothing but tiny little dots, looking like microsopic molocules. We could very well just be a pitri dish of some cruel joke, or just a strand of DNA making up something larger. We may be a puddle on the ground somewhere else or we may be the chemical make up a material we've never heard of. I'm not saying that our lives serve some divine purpose or that the galaxy has a purpose, I just dont think the whole universe is for the use and enjoyment of only the human race on earth. I also dont think that a new life form needs to have a picture or physically be proven to be true. Think about the Flat Earth theory. When it was believed there was an edge to our world that you could walk out on and fall off the face of the planet. It was proved wrong much much later in time, but that doesnt mean that while they believed the earth was flat it actually was until we proved it wrong, or that finally proving it changed the make up of the earth because obviously it was round before we thought it was flat and will stay round for eternity wether people chose to believe it or not.

Just becase we cant prove something at the current point in time doesnt make it any less true in the grand scheme. The earth was round during and after we thought it was flat, it doesnt matter that we finally proved it becuase it was fact all along, we just hadn't seen it. So just because there is no concrete evidence at this time, doesnt it make it not true, because it is very possible. I dont necissarily bevlieve that there are Marklars who marklar their marklars after they marklar, or that the 5th element is close to the truth of the universe, but I believe somewhere out there in a cave, or hidden in a valley there is a geod or a fungus with microsopic life form that could one day create a life on a planet if there isn't one there already. The earth itself gets new lifeforms being brought to it every day. Some are from aesteroids bringing micorspic lifeforms from aeseroids that break up in our atmosphere and fall to earth as little rocks. A lifeform on another planet doesnt mean it has to be a 6 foot tall 2 legged 2 arms huminoid, it could just be a fern, or a little bush, or an ameoba we've never seen.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#38 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Yes there;s someone else out there wondering the same thang right now. It possibly true I ain't going to say no.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
There is a lot of crap out there. Hard to imagine that we're unique and nowhere out there the right mix of stuff isn't coming or hasn't come together.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DrSponge
[QUOTE="DrSponge"][QUOTE="SEANMCAD"] well if I had the time I am extreemly confident that I could proove that there is a larger chance of life existing on other planets then you successfully taking a shower tomorrow morningSEANMCAD
I'm worried if you're serious.

There are very few things in the entire universe that are 100% predictably true. Therefore almost everything that has not yet happened is not factual because it hasn't happened yet.

Now given almost every action we take in life is based on non-factual information but rather predictability instead then we are left with comparing the predictably of your shower tomorrow vs. the predictably of life on another planent. Guess who wins?

No we're not comparing the predictably of my shower tomorrow vs. the predictably of life on another planet. I am saying that I do not believe in life on another planet until there is concrete evidence. Why do you believe that there is life on another planet when there is no concrete evidence?

Your 'shower' argument is redundant, since I can't tell the future, and thus I cannot tell you if I will have a shower tomorrow.

thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thirteen_zombie
If we were to find one planet, not to big, not to small, not to close to its sun but not to far with the right orbit that may one day have asteroids crash into it, or already has traces of water or active volcanoes that could sculpt a habitable enviornment, then there is a possiblilty, if currently there is no other life, that one day there could be. Water and a closed atmosphere, with survivable weather is what a lifeform needs to sustain itself and begin growing.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrSponge
[QUOTE="DrSponge"][QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

There are very few things in the entire universe that are 100% predictably true. Therefore almost everything that has not yet happened is not factual because it hasn't happened yet.

Now given almost every action we take in life is based on non-factual information but rather predictability instead then we are left with comparing the predictably of your shower tomorrow vs. the predictably of life on another planent. Guess who wins?

SEANMCAD

No we're not comparing the predictably of my shower tomorrow vs. the predictably of life on another planet. I am saying that I do not believe in life on another planet until there is concrete evidence. Why do you believe that there is life on another planet when there is no concrete evidence?

Your 'shower' argument is redundant, since I can't tell the future, and thus I cannot tell you if I will have a shower tomorrow.

let me make it mo simple.

In short, NOTHING is 100% proovable peroid everything is probable.

So I should just believe anything? Okay. :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
If we were to find one planet, not to big, not to small, not to close to its sun but not to far with the right orbit that may one day have asteroids crash into it, or already has traces of water or active volcanoes that could sculpt a habitable enviornment, then there is a possiblilty, if currently there is no other life, that one day there could be. Water and a closed atmosphere, with survivable weather is what a lifeform needs to sustain itself and begin growing.thirteen_zombie
How about if we go extinct due to WHATEVER, and an entirely new life forms HERE.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
So I should just believe anything? Okay. :|DrSponge
i'm right behind you *poke*
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DrSponge
[QUOTE="DrSponge"]So I should just believe anything? Okay. :|Jandurin

*grabs your finger, snaps it and shoves it in your mouth* :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="DrSponge"]So I should just believe anything? Okay. :|DrSponge

*grabs your finger, snaps it and shoves it in your mouth* :|

Ow. :|
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
yes, if you do not believe that there is not other life in the universe, you are simple minded and selfish.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
yes, if you do not believe that there is not other life in the universe, you are simple minded and selfish. pygmahia5
Because I don't believe, I'm selfish! :lol:
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DrSponge
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]yes, if you do not believe that there is not other life in the universe, you are simple minded and selfish. Jandurin
Because I don't believe, I'm selfish! :lol:

Yay! We're simple minded too :P