Do musicians make a good living?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

*Sigh*. I'm so down right now. I was only taking TWO courses this semseter in my college, and I dropped them both. One was Anatomy and Physiology, and the other was Human Motor Behaviour.

I took an interest in Human Kinetics because 3 years ago I started exercising and lifting weights, and lost 30 pounds. I figured, I might as well take a few classes relating to health and fitness...

However, I came to the conclusion that I just don't fit in with these people. The students in my classes have all played on teams, they've volunteered in hospitals, and amongst other things...

The only thing that I have is MUSIC. I've been classically trained in piano since I was 5 (I'm 22 now), and I've learned several other instruments as well. Its the only thing I can see in my future, but I'm so scared because everyone and the internet makes fun of artists and that they don't make any money....

Are there any musicians here that make a decent living? 

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

lady gaga made $90 million dollars from may 2010 - may 2011.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lonewolf604

-Renegade
I'm not talking about those type of musicians.....I'm talking about the ones that get a four year music degree and then play guitar on the streets.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

if you are serious,unless you get a contract and touring, you wont make much as a musician but scoring for movies do make alot if you are lucky.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

If you're some kind of musical prodigy, maybe. 99.9% of us with any musical talent are lucky to make any kind of decent money off of it. I made 100 bucks over Christmas playing trumpet at a church mass, but that's about it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19594 Posts
I'm guessing that the majority of them do not. Being classically trained in piano (and presumably being music-literate) might be very handy though; I'm guessing that would have more viable career options than only knowing how to strum a guitar.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

lonewolf604

I'm not talking about those type of musicians.....I'm talking about the ones that get a four year music degree and then play guitar on the streets.

lady gaga started off small time you never know man. i know we all got to pay the bills but if you enjoy what you are doing it doesn't matter how much money you make.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

I'm guessing that the majority of them do not. Being classically trained in piano (and presumably being music-literate) might be very handy though; I'm guessing that would have more viable career options than only knowing how to strum a guitar.Planeforger

composing music is the meat of the money not when you peform music, this causes musicians to fail from the start.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Become a music teacher or a piano tuner, you will make enough to get by.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Most don't unless your a mega star like the ones on TV but most other musicians scrape by most of the time from what i hear. A session musician is a bit better as you get commissioned and probably have a better steady flow of well paying work but still not amazing pay.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

The vast majority of musicians do not make great money doing it. If you're dedicated enough and will to play live nonstop and/or do mostly session work (ie: being a hired hand playing other people's sh*t with any creative say of your own) then you'll probably make enough to pay the bills. But don't expect to be swimming in money. Even many "big name" musicians who you think of as successful aren't necessarily making a lot of money at it and hold down regular jobs. Bruce Dickinson, the vocalist of Iron Maiden, for instance, holds down a job as an airline pilot when he's not touring. Steve Von Till, of the band Neurosis, works as a school teacher. Pete Steele, of Type O Negative, worked for the City of New York (parks department).

So yeah, if you want to make a living as a musician, it's possible, but extremely difficult. Making a good living at it is even harder. If your idea is playing on the streets....let's just say you might as well panhandle.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lonewolf604

The vast majority of musicians do not make great money doing it. If you're dedicated enough and will to play live nonstop and/or do mostly session work (ie: being a hired hand playing other people's sh*t with any creative say of your own) then you'll probably make enough to pay the bills. But don't expect to be swimming in money. Even many "big name" musicians who you think of as successful aren't necessarily making a lot of money at it and hold down regular jobs. Bruce Dickinson, the vocalist of Iron Maiden, for instance, holds down a job as an airline pilot when he's not touring. Steve Von Till, of the band Neurosis, works as a school teacher. Pete Steele, of Type O Negative, worked for the City of New York (parks department).

So yeah, if you want to make a living as a musician, it's possible, but extremely difficult. Making a good living at it is even harder. If your idea is playing on the streets....let's just say you might as well panhandle.

worlock77
What about things like private lessons or school/college teacher?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

lonewolf604

Certainly, but those jobs are few and far between and are filled with people who don't tend to leave them until retirement.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lonewolf604

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Certainly, but those jobs are few and far between and are filled with people who don't tend to leave them until retirement.

I already feel like a bum. I don't want to go to school and study something I don't like just to be well off. But if pursuing music means I have to work 3 jobs and eat cereal for dinner then I might as well just kill myself...
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Relevant video

Music is one of those things you have to basically dedicate most of your life to... and more often than not for the money (EDIT: I think I mean't 'usually not for the money'... I think... or maybe I'm just tired...).

Those who do make a bit of money often get lucky breaks (and of course, the drive to continue playing and making music).

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lonewolf604

Relevant video

Music is one of those things you have to basically dedicate most of your life to... and more often than not for the money.

Those who do make a bit of money often get lucky breaks (and of course, the drive to continue playing and making music).

Celldrax
I've seen that before.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"] What about things like private lessons or school/college teacher? lonewolf604

I already feel like a bum. I don't want to go to school and study something I don't like just to be well off. But if pursuing music means I have to work 3 jobs and eat cereal for dinner then I might as well just kill myself...

Your choice. Certainly you can make a living in music, there are many different paths to it. It all depends on what compromises you're willing to make. If you're willing to play other people's music, without having any creative imput into that music, you can work as a session musician. That wouldn't preclude you from making your own music, but it would mean that your own creative work wouldn't be your full time focus. Or there's also working for other bands in a non-playing capacity. I have a friends who's put out 4 albums, 2 EPs and a handful of singles on his own (self-released, no label to interfere), but to pay his bills he goes out on the road as a guitar technician with an internationally touring band.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"] I already feel like a bum. I don't want to go to school and study something I don't like just to be well off. But if pursuing music means I have to work 3 jobs and eat cereal for dinner then I might as well just kill myself....

Have you considered going back to the Philippines to become a private piano teacher? I'm sure you won't have trouble finding students if you are a graduate from a American/Canadian university
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lonewolf604
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"] I already feel like a bum. I don't want to go to school and study something I don't like just to be well off. But if pursuing music means I have to work 3 jobs and eat cereal for dinner then I might as well just kill myself....

Have you considered going back to the Philippines to become a private piano teacher? I'm sure you won't have trouble finding students if you are a graduate from a American/Canadian university

Hmm, I actually like that suggestion because my cousins have been begging me to come there...even offering to pay for my ticket (they're born here but went over there to start business).
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Doing what you love is more important.. than money.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 worlock77

Doing what you love is more important.. than money.Dogswithguns

Nice sentiment, but not practical.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Orchestra players get paid pretty well too, but I would think that getting on one of those would be like making it in the NFL.
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

In addition for to be a college professor: I am not sure about community college, but a typical university job requires a DMA I would think. That would be 4-8 more years of schooling.  Getting into good programs is easier said than done, especially without a bachelors in music.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
No. Don't try.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Don't worry about the money part of it, do what you wanna and are the best at and it'll be fine
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lonelynight
Also, would you be paying for the tuition fees by yourself?
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#27 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Majority of them, no. Luck is required for this type of thing, and quite a bit of skill and dedication.

signzoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 signzoe
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts

This may explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmXcpWkkin8

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
It's a career like all other careers, you will either struggle making ends meet, be financially stable or get lucky and make it big. I know some smaller obscure artists do it with a part time job and are well off and some obscure artists make a living off it. You also have different areas in the music industry, mastering, mixing, artist, touring, producer, guitarist,bassist,pianist etc etc. Teacher. Scoring. Anything that requires creativity rather than academic skills is always an uncertain path.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I played guitar in a bar band for quite a few years.  While working a full time job.  It was purely for fun, we made some money but I think I spent almost all of it on guitars and amplifiers and effects processors and beer. If you actually tried to live on that you'd probably be moving into your rehearsal studio with your sleeping bag.

There might be some jobs in orchestras, I don't know how that would pay but that's all I can think of that you could make a steady living at.  As far as getting a degree in music generally though, I thought about it at one time and looked into some of the possibilities.  They weren't good.  Basically you can be a music teacher or write jingles for radio and TV ad's.  Most bands couldn't care less about your musical education and you'd be better off learning a little theory on your own and just practicing your preferred style of music.

You can of course try to get work as a studio musician - you and a thousand other people, some of whom are supremely talented, skilled, and have many years of experience.  Or you could dream about making it big some day in a band - and eventually give up and get a job in a factory or something.

Of course if you're that 1 in a million you could be a big star :D  Has a lot more to do with being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people though.

Just do what I did - get a degree in accounting and play your guitar for fun.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

"money for nothing, chicks for free"

-Dire Straits

you tell me. At least if they are talented.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts
You'd be damn lucky to be even making the equivalent of minimum wage as a working musician living solely off your music. Having said that, if you love music more than anything, you shouldn't let that stop you.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Depends what sector you are doing as someone said.

Also depends on the studio you sign up with. It's hard to get into the bigger one's (I mean, extremely fvcking hard). You don't even have to be that talented, but you've got to have something they can exploit to make you big. But if you don't meet the agreed amount of sales then you are truly even more fvcked.

Indy studio's allow creative freedom and decent pay depending on who they are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
As a Music Major in college and someone who makes their living in the music field. It Depends.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Not the talented ones.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
A minority of them do. Most do not.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
It may be possible. Justin Beiber is making huge money by singing.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Like anything in the entertainment business, there's a tiny handful of superstars who make more money in a month than most people will ever see in their lifetimes, there's another small group who make enough money to live comfortably, but don't become celebrities or anything like that, and the vast majority will never even make enough money to pay the rent on a one room apartment.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worlock77

If you truely feel drawn to music, especially to create music, then probably the best advice is to have something you can do day to day to provide for your living and then just create your music without any regard to whether or not it'll pay your bills. That, actually, might be the best thing for a musician, because then your creativity is not constrained by financial concerns. There's creative freedom when you're not bound by what a label wants of you. And there's a creative freedom when your rent doesn't depend on how many units you sell this quarter.

bookwormwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bookwormwizard
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts

*Sigh*. I'm so down right now. I was only taking TWO courses this semseter in my college, and I dropped them both. One was Anatomy and Physiology, and the other was Human Motor Behaviour.

I took an interest in Human Kinetics because 3 years ago I started exercising and lifting weights, and lost 30 pounds. I figured, I might as well take a few classes relating to health and fitness...

However, I came to the conclusion that I just don't fit in with these people. The students in my classes have all played on teams, they've volunteered in hospitals, and amongst other things...

The only thing that I have is MUSIC. I've been classically trained in piano since I was 5 (I'm 22 now), and I've learned several other instruments as well. Its the only thing I can see in my future, but I'm so scared because everyone and the internet makes fun of artists and that they don't make any money....

Are there any musicians here that make a decent living? 

lonewolf604

It depends where you live and what music you want to play. For instance, I have some musician friends out in hawaii. They told me if you play rock music you are lucky if the entire band gets paid $100 for the night, thats the whole band, so if you got 4 people, thats $25 each. However, if you play reggae music, you can make thousands. You need to find out whats popular in your area and if you like it or are willing to play it even if you don't. You could hit up craiglist now and find some bands that are getting gigs but need someone else for whatever reason, and you could start making money now.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Only a small % of musicians make a good living. It doesn't matter how good or fresh your music is, marketing plays the biggest role. Marketed right, you can sell any crap.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

That depends on what you consider a good living, what exactly it is you are willing / interested in doing, and on luck.  If you teach at the post-secondary level, then yes, you make a good living.  If you have low expenses, some investment income to go along with it, and a small private studio, you will also make a good living.  Unless you become a star performer or reach the upper range of the post-secondary pay scale, you're not going to earn 6 figures in North America.  But if you don't intend to live a 6 figure lifestyIe, that really isn't a problem.

I'm a professional musician, and through a combination of frugality and good fortune, I've done just fine.  My house, car, and two mid-size grand pianos will be paid off in June, and it's the last of my debt, which is certainly not bad for a soon-to-be 32 year old who has only been out of school since 06.  I'll say this, though - it wasn't my job that made this happen.  It was graduating with no student debt, good fortune in the stock market, and an intensely frugal lifestyIe.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lonewolf604

That depends on what you consider a good living, what exactly it is you are willing / interested in doing, and on luck.  If you teach at the post-secondary level, then yes, you make a good living.  If you have low expenses, some investment income to go along with it, and a small private studio, you will also make a good living.  Unless you become a star performer or reach the upper range of the post-secondary pay scale, you're not going to earn 6 figures in North America.  But if you don't intend to live a 6 figure lifestyIe, that really isn't a problem.

I'm a professional musician, and through a combination of frugality and good fortune, I've done just fine.  My house, car, and two mid-size grand pianos will be paid off in June, and it's the last of my debt, which is certainly not bad for a soon-to-be 32 year old who has only been out of school since 06.  I'll say this, though - it wasn't my job that made this happen.  It was graduating with no student debt, good fortune in the stock market, and an intensely frugal lifestyIe.

pianist
I was wondering when you'd post! (And BTW if you don't recall I've messaged you a few times in the past about practice methods). Thanks...I mean what everyone says in this thread kind of scares me. I don't really see myself doing anything else. I get bored of studying body parts and end up practicing piano/guitar all the time...
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Piano teacher, beats being a guitar teacher. Should pay okay.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

If you can sing (and do it very well) and do a whole performance entirely on your own, then you have a better chance of making real money. You could write music and put it up on YouTube, become a YouTube partner and then sell your music on Bandcamp.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

If you can sing (and do it very well) and do a whole performance entirely on your own, then you have a better chance of making real money. You could write music and put it up on YouTube, become a YouTube partner and then sell your music on Bandcamp.

PinkiePirate
Only if you want to go in the pop genre direction (or something similar).
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

You can teach music and you can also start building a home studio and learn how DAWs work. Then, you can rent that studio and your work behind the (more than likely virtual) mixing console. For less than 1000 dollars you can buy a humble audio interface, a MIDI keyboard, a good microphone and some software to get you started (whatever computer you are using right now will more than likely be more than good enough). Results will be unbelievably good right away and you will be producing your own stuff in no time and then, when you are confident enouogh about your skills, you can produce other people's stuff for a decent hourly fee.

Teaching and having a home studio will get you by easily. And if you are open-minded and capable of working with all kinds of performers from every genre, including the ones you don't like, you have a very good chance of having enough money to turn that home studio into a full blown studio, which will, in turn, make more money. 

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pianist

Piano teacher, beats being a guitar teacher. Should pay okay.

Bikouchu35

Or do both if you are proficient in both.  I think a big part of the equation is versatility.  The more you can do well and are willing to do, the better the chances are that you'll make a go of it.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pianist

I was wondering when you'd post! (And BTW if you don't recall I've messaged you a few times in the past about practice methods). Thanks...I mean what everyone says in this thread kind of scares me. I don't really see myself doing anything else. I get bored of studying body parts and end up practicing piano/guitar all the time...lonewolf604

Yeah, it's a tough call.  Certainly you shouldn't be going into this career if you're expecting a lot of money or stability.  That's hard to come by (though frankly, an established studio teacher with a full studio class can certainly accomplish the stability part of the equation).  But if you're passionate about music and nothing else, it may be a good fit for you, provided that you exercise some money smarts and are willing to do a number of different things to increase your earning potential.

It's not a career I would recommend to everyone, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hates the idea of teaching, because just about all professional musicians will end up doing that at some point to make ends meet.  It's highly unlikely that you will have a lucrative performance-based career.  The people who make millions as performers are incredibly rare, and as someone else pointed out, their success is usually the result of marketing as much as musical skill.