Do Iraq war supporters feel remorse?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vac87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vac87
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts
Do you people that supported the Iraq invasion in 2003 feel any remorse or guilt? You indirectly caused the deaths of thousands of people. If more Americans had spoken out against the war, it could have been stopped. There is blood on your hands. I was against the war from the start, and was called unpatriotic by those morons.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I hope so. The Iraq War was probably the biggest military blunder in American history.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
While I certainly don't think the war was necessary, nor was it handled correctly, I have to wonder how many more people would have died at the hands of Saddam. He killed countless numbers of his own people. Plus any of the terrorists who were being sheltered by his country, how many countless would they have killed. While war is never good I think in the long run it saved lives. No one can no for sure but I'd like to think some good came out of it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I hope so. The Iraq War was probably the biggest military blunder in American history.

Aljosa23
thought it was the vietnam war. war is a touchy subject, i plainly don't support any war
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
No. Fvck 'em.
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

Aljosa23
Vietnam...................................
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
[QUOTE="playmynutz"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Ackad
thought it was the vietnam war. war is a touchy subject, i plainly don't support any war

Honestly at this point Vietnam War=Iraq War. Blame Congress and the stupid lobbyists/politicians.

Um...........No. Not even close.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
They have thousands of innocents lives in their hands. But I doubt they'll feel remorseful since they can vicariously dismiss it and pretend it didn't happen. They'll probably support the next war too.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts
I don't support war unless your homeland or a close allys homeland is being seriously threatened.
andytisnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 andytisnt
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts
I don't support war unless your homeland or a close allys homeland is being seriously threatened. The_Lipscomb
i think 911 was a serious threat, they have now dealt with the leader ..... i dont think america has the budgeting capacy to be running the world police for now. i also dont support violence unless it finds solice in ur home
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]I don't support war unless your homeland or a close allys homeland is being seriously threatened. andytisnt
i think 911 was a serious threat, they have now dealt with the leader ..... i dont think america has the budgeting capacy to be running the world police for now. i also dont support violence unless it finds solice in ur home

Going after a spefici group right after 911 is one thing.. but.. raging a war this long..Really not needed.
mmwmwmmwmwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mmwmwmmwmwmm
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts

Aljosa23
lol They must not teach American history in Canada.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Vietnam War=Iraq War.Ackad
This again?
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

mmwmwmmwmwmm
lol They must not teach American history in Canada.

and the definition of "military blunder".
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

No, most of them are delusional and brainwashed. They find some way to justify it. 

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44655 Posts
you mean do Republicans feel remorse? ha, never
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Aljosa23

The war wasn't a military blunder. Iraq's military was defeated very quickly. The occupation and rebuilding of Iraq was the blunder.

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

coasterguy65

The war wasn't a military blunder. Iraq's military was defeated very quickly. The occupation and rebuilding of Iraq was the blunder.

The decision to wage the war in the first place was the blunder. It's not about the execution, it's about the idea itself.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
While I certainly don't think the war was necessary, nor was it handled correctly, I have to wonder how many more people would have died at the hands of Saddam. He killed countless numbers of his own people. Plus any of the terrorists who were being sheltered by his country, how many countless would they have killed. While war is never good I think in the long run it saved lives. No one can no for sure but I'd like to think some good came out of it. ferrari2001
My thoughts
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Time will tell.

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts
While I certainly don't think the war was necessary, nor was it handled correctly, I have to wonder how many more people would have died at the hands of Saddam. He killed countless numbers of his own people. Plus any of the terrorists who were being sheltered by his country, how many countless would they have killed. While war is never good I think in the long run it saved lives. No one can no for sure but I'd like to think some good came out of it. ferrari2001
I doubt Saddam would have killed more than a million people, which is the death toll for the Iraq war. And he wasn't sheltering ANY terrorists. On the contrary, Saddam's communist regime has always stood against Al-Qaeda's ideology. Terrorists started pouring into Iraq AFTER the invasion. The fist and second Fallujah battles are good examples of how things started deteriorating in Iraq after the war. Not to mention that Iraq is now run by another dictator who's allegiance lies in Tehran. The war has removed the only man who kept Iran at bay. So to put it differently, the US turned a country that opposed terrorism into a safe haven for terrorists Sorry, but people who make your arguments are the same people who supported the Iraq war.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

Time will tell.

coolbeans90
Iraq is getting more and more destabilized since we've left. Not a good prognosis.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolbeans90

Most peg the casualties within 1-200,000, which Saddam could easily have surpassed considering past events.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

playmynutz

Hard to say. This war cost the US its economy. But in Vietnam, everyone hated the soldiers and the troops coming home had to deal with alot of sh*t.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kuraimen

Most peg the casualties within 1-200,000, which Saddam could easily have surpassed considering past events.

coolbeans90
Americans never cease to amaze me on how easily they justify their atrocities. "Let's murder a whole bunch of people because if we don't a fairy told me much more will get murdered". Most dangerous and disgusting thought process ever. Maybe someone should invade the US using the same premise.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Time will tell.

Rich3232

Iraq is getting more and more destabilized since we've left. Not a good prognosis.

military action and regime changes won't help the region.  It's filled with outdated ideas, tribal customs in places like afghanistan, and far too much corruption.  They will either shape up on their own over time, or kill themselves off in the process

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Time will tell.

wis3boi

military action and regime changes won't help the region.  It's filled with outdated ideas, tribal customs in places like afghanistan, and far too much corruption.  They will either shape up on their own over time, or kill themselves off in the process

yea, hence why we really shouldn't have even bothered in the first place.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

kuraimen

Americans never cease to amaze me on how easily they justify their atrocities. "Let's murder a whole bunch of people because if we don't a fairy told me much more will get murdered". Most dangerous and disgusting thought process ever. Maybe someone should invade the US using the same premise.

If we had a Saddam, I hope someone would be able to.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

true.dat
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kuraimen

coolbeans90

For many outside your country you have someone like Saddam or even worse. That's the problem of trying to make those decisions from a completely different culture and perspective while pretending your media is giving the accurate information. The same bs excuses were used to support military regimes in south america and even to overthrow and murder a democratically elected leader like Allende. When the Chileans jumped to the streets outraged Kissinger told Nixon that he didn't understand why people were unhappy. What arrogance to pretend to know what's better to others and try to implement it by force. Enough of that sh1t. I bet you wouldn't feel the same if a foreign country invades you and try to tell you what's good for you destroying your country on the process. The US has fvcked up enough already deal with your own business.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Americans never cease to amaze me on how easily they justify their atrocities. "Let's murder a whole bunch of people because if we don't a fairy told me much more will get murdered". Most dangerous and disgusting thought process ever. Maybe someone should invade the US using the same premise.kuraimen

For many outside your country you have someone like Saddam or even worse. That's the problem of trying to make those decisions from a completely different culture and perspective while pretending your media is giving the accurate information. The same bs excuses were used to support military regimes in south america and even to overthrow and murder a democratically elected leader like Allende. When the Chileans jumped to the streets outraged Kissinger told Nixon that he didn't understand why people were unhappy. What arrogance to pretend to know what's better to others and try to implement it by force. Enough of that sh1t. I bet you wouldn't feel the same if a foreign country invades you and try to tell you what's good for you destroying your country on the process. The US has fvcked up enough already deal with your own business.

Accurate information about Kurdish extermination and starting wars (Iran) adding up to the order of hundreds of thousands of deaths? A little hard to fabricate. Additionally, there is a bit of a difference between the guys the U.S. overthrew in democratically elected gov'ts and Saddam. The former was done in a regrettable, Machiavellian approach to minimizing Soviet/perceived communist influence (legitimately fvcked up). The latter was the removal of a psychopath with a tendency to kill hundreds of thousands of people. Moving on, Obama, unlike Saddam, hasn't killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people and would be difficult to argue as "worse", even if leaving plenty to desire from a humanitarian standpoint (see: drone strikes). Finally, Saddam did not mind his own business.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kuraimen

coolbeans90

Accurate information about Kurdish extermination and starting wars (Iran) adding up to the order of hundreds of thousands of deaths? A little hard to fabricate. Additionally, there is a bit of a difference between the guys the U.S. overthrew in democratically elected gov'ts and Saddam. The former was done in a regrettable, Machiavellian approach to minimizing Soviet/perceived communist influence (legitimately fvcked up). The latter was the removal of a psychopath with a tendency to kill hundreds of thousands of people. Moving on, Obama, unlike Saddam, hasn't killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people and would be difficult to argue as "worse", even if leaving plenty to desire from a humanitarian standpoint (see: drone strikes). Finally, Saddam did not mind his own business.

From my perspective Bush, Cheney and even Obama are murderers. They supported a war based on false premises and shady interests and I think that's clear as water. I also know a lot of people who think the same. What you're telling me is that, following your reasoning and if I had the power I am justified to invade your country to get those the people and Americans would probably thank (in fact some would probably do). That's how fvcked up the american self-righteous reasoning seems to me.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Nope, not 1 bit. Saddam should of been taken out during the gulf war. It was good to see him get his just dues though, it was the highlight of the war for me.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
What was the point in the Iraq War? When we say "Iraq war" are we talking about Gulf war, or Iraq War II?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] Iraq is getting more and more destabilized since we've left. Not a good prognosis. Rich3232

if we had to go at all, we should have done it more like libya, or what france did in mali....roll in, wipe up the sh!t, and leave

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

coolbeans90

:|  A) The US overthrew the democratically elected president of Iran and put the Shah in power.. The US supported Pinochet who killed thousands..

B) Saddam was supported even when he attacked the kurds (with weapons made from the materials the US gave him) was still supported by the United States..

Call me a cynic, but the US's government policy rarely ever has any priority in "saving people"..  Some of the worse genocides such as Rwanda or Darfur was ignored by the top powers including the United States..  And the US has supported numerous dictators in which they harmed their own people.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I don't really think anyone outside of the Bush administration supports the war as of now.  And back then it was only supported because of falsified intelligence and war/fear mongering perpetrated by the Bush administration...

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I'd have to meet someone who actually knows what they're talking about and still support the war to answer that question. Even most military personnel will flat out say we stayed too long.

Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
The notion that the Hussein regime would have caused greater damage than the Iraq War is directly contrary to the empirical data now available, as much of it was prior to the invasion. Foreign policy analysts repeatedly stated that Hussein was boxed in, both internationally (from a military standpoint), and domestically (from a political standpoint). The war was a mistake. The Bush administration acted to avoid consequences that were later proven unrealistic. Once they had begun moving forces in to the region, they saw no reason to recalculate, and spent nearly all of their energy attempting to justify the reasoning for the war. The costs of these actions are well known, as are the accuracy of the accusations the administration made. The Iraq War will forever tarnish Bush's legacy. This does not make Bush, or anyone in his administration, a war criminal (nor his successor[s]) as any comparable political leader will need room to use force. International laws regarding this are grey. While these laws try to represent utopian goodness, they often fail to comprehend harsh realities. Their application is also subject to mutual agreements and international implementation. For example: while many of us don't like "enemy combatants" as a substitute for POWs, time and litigation will work out a course and a code of conduct,. probably unlikeable by all parties.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] For many outside your country you have someone like Saddam or even worse. That's the problem of trying to make those decisions from a completely different culture and perspective while pretending your media is giving the accurate information. The same bs excuses were used to support military regimes in south america and even to overthrow and murder a democratically elected leader like Allende. When the Chileans jumped to the streets outraged Kissinger told Nixon that he didn't understand why people were unhappy. What arrogance to pretend to know what's better to others and try to implement it by force. Enough of that sh1t. I bet you wouldn't feel the same if a foreign country invades you and try to tell you what's good for you destroying your country on the process. The US has fvcked up enough already deal with your own business.sSubZerOo

:|  A) The US overthrew the democratically elected president of Iran and put the Shah in power.. The US supported Pinochet who killed thousands..

B) Saddam was supported even when he attacked the kurds (with weapons made from the materials the US gave him) was still supported by the United States..

Call me a cynic, but the US's government policy rarely ever has any priority in "saving people"..  Some of the worse genocides such as Rwanda or Darfur was ignored by the top powers including the United States..  And the US has supported numerous dictators in which they harmed their own people.

A. I am aware of this and implicitly acknowledged such in my previous post. Do you even read, sub?

B. He was subsequently invaded twice.

You are quite correct that the U.S. in the past has done some clearly terrible things. During the cold war, the U.S. placed weakening the Soviets above all else, pretty much regardless of consequences. However, weakening Russian influence hasn't been a critical factor since the Cold War.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] For many outside your country you have someone like Saddam or even worse. That's the problem of trying to make those decisions from a completely different culture and perspective while pretending your media is giving the accurate information. The same bs excuses were used to support military regimes in south america and even to overthrow and murder a democratically elected leader like Allende. When the Chileans jumped to the streets outraged Kissinger told Nixon that he didn't understand why people were unhappy. What arrogance to pretend to know what's better to others and try to implement it by force. Enough of that sh1t. I bet you wouldn't feel the same if a foreign country invades you and try to tell you what's good for you destroying your country on the process. The US has fvcked up enough already deal with your own business.kuraimen

From my perspective Bush, Cheney and even Obama are murderers. They supported a war based on false premises and shady interests and I think that's clear as water. I also know a lot of people who think the same. What you're telling me is that, following your reasoning and if I had the power I am justified to invade your country to get those the people and Americans would probably thank (in fact some would probably do). That's how fvcked up the american self-righteous reasoning seems to me.

And if your premises were correct, you'd be perfectly justified.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

if we had to go at all, we should have done it more like libya, or what france did in mali....roll in, wipe up the sh!t, and leave

Yeah, just leave a place in a state of civil war.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

coolbeans90

You do know that the US supported Saddam during and after he gassed his people.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] For many outside your country you have someone like Saddam or even worse. That's the problem of trying to make those decisions from a completely different culture and perspective while pretending your media is giving the accurate information. The same bs excuses were used to support military regimes in south america and even to overthrow and murder a democratically elected leader like Allende. When the Chileans jumped to the streets outraged Kissinger told Nixon that he didn't understand why people were unhappy. What arrogance to pretend to know what's better to others and try to implement it by force. Enough of that sh1t. I bet you wouldn't feel the same if a foreign country invades you and try to tell you what's good for you destroying your country on the process. The US has fvcked up enough already deal with your own business.thebest31406

You do know that the US supported Saddam during and after he gassed his people.

Something about two invasions and sanctions afterwards.

Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

"You do know that the US supported Saddam during and after he gassed his people."

This is not entirely accurate. US relations with Saddam Hussein took a negative turn when it was revealed the the US was selling weapons to Iran. Hussein viewed this a stab in the back, as Iraq was at war with Iran, with what he felt was a US alliance.

US relations with Iraq were cool but cordial until the gassing of the Kurds occurred, deteriorating rapidly afterwords. Hussein was still counterbalancing Iran in the region, so diplomacy was given a polished public appearance, but nearly all western governments, including the US, considered Hussein a pariah. US military support was also limited during this timeline, before being eliminated prior to the Gulf War.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
you mean do Republicans feel remorse? ha, neverlamprey263
You seem to have forgotten about the 29 out of 50 Democratic senators who voted for the war.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

When people try to say supporters of the war should feel remorse that almost makes me laugh. The vast, vast majority of dead people in Iraq were killed by insurgents either outright or by accident when they were aiming at US troops (a family driving over an IED meant for military forces, for example). We have killed locals accidently too but it doesnt come close to insurgent fatalities.

A lot of people say we were lied to by Bush and there were zero weapons of mass destruction. The problem with that is people like to confuse faulty intelligence with flat out lies. That is the problem with Intel collection; there will always be holes in it and you can check multiple sources and still get something that is faulty. Dont even get me started on the claims we only went there to steal oil.

Not to mention we actually did find some yellowcake in Iraq; the media played that down because it didnt match up their anti-Bush crusade. In case people havent noticed, when Bush was in office troop death tolls were plastered almost everywhere, with the constant reminder of how Soldiers are dying in Bushs war. When Obama took office we were lucky to hear about it over Lindsay Lohan and Kim Kardashians shenanigans.

The source for most of your information about Iraq is the media and the Internet. My source for the information was actually being present for the invasion in 2003 and doing two more tours before we pulled out. When we invaded the locals were literally running up to us cheering, something you wouldnt expect people to be doing during an invasion. People were starving while Saddam Hussein had gold-plated AK-47s in his palaces (no that isnt exclusive to Call of Duty).

In addition to that, I have personally assisted in the building of schools and power plants. I was present for their first elections post-Saddam. I gave out hundreds of dollars worth of toys and candy to local children. Those things arent newsworthy, so other than the elections you dont hear about it. We could have done better over there and things are breaking down with us gone. But it could have been worse.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

When people try to say supporters of the war should feel remorse that almost makes me laugh. The vast, vast majority of dead people in Iraq were killed by insurgents either outright or by accident when they were aiming at US troops (a family driving over an IED meant for military forces, for example). We have killed locals accidently too 

ad1x2

frabz-theres-the-door-gtfo-84f056.jpg

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kuraimen

coolbeans90

And if your premises were correct, you'd be perfectly justified.

Well i wouldn't start a war with your country that would cause the deaths of thousands of innocents both directly and indirectly just to get those guys because that would make me as bad or worse than them something that happens to the US often IMO.