Do anyone else feel scared to post on these forums.

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm too scared to express my feelings on the forums in case i'm moderated or permantely banned,i've already been warned so many times for little things that didn't deserve a warning so what does one do to keep the mods off your back and i went at least 3 months without a warning and thats because i did my up most to stay clear from the mods.

flordeceres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 flordeceres
Member since 2005 • 4662 Posts

wat

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

I hold back sometimes, so that I don't get modded, but I'm definately not scared. :P

Taylor_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Taylor_B
Member since 2009 • 905 Posts
I am still moderation free. So...no.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Lol, basically anytime somebody gets hurt feelings over a post theyre allowed to report it and have the person penalized for it. A guy asked once if people thought his dad was an idiot for something he did, and I responded with "yeah your dad is an idiot" and got a warning. I'm not scared at all. if they actually want to ban me for so little, fine by me.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i dunno maybe scared is the wrong word but i do sometimes think the mods come down on us too hard don't you think guys.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Err, no. With more than 5 pages of Moderations(coming from GFaqs mainly though), I'm still posting.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
You can express your feelings without violating the ToU.
Taylor_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Taylor_B
Member since 2009 • 905 Posts

i dunno maybe scared is the wrong word but i do sometimes think the mods come down on us too hard don't you think guys.

sukraj
I don't know anymore. I've been gone for quite some time. I came back and it seemed a lot of names I recognized had been banned. Then again, I don't know what they did to get it.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cee1gee
Member since 2008 • 2042 Posts

nope ive got suspended last week i dont really care...they can suspend me all they want as long as i can still read posts im fine

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
No, OT is too crap now for me to care much about my account.
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

No, OT is too crap now for me to care much about my account.Funky_Llama

Agree :D

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
If you stop, take a deep breath and re-read what you've written, you're not going to end up posting anything rash. There are always ways of insinuating things that, if said directly, could get you modded, without breaking the ToU. It;s more fun that way, anyway.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

You can express your feelings without violating the ToU.Travo_basic

This man speaks the truth, I would listen to him.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]You can express your feelings without violating the ToU.solidruss

This man speaks the truth, I would listen to him.

No he doesn't. Depending on your opinions, you might be modded as offensive.
momo372

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 momo372
Member since 2005 • 2641 Posts

i feel very scared

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 solidruss

No he doesn't. Depending on your opinions, you might be modded as offensive.Funky_Llama

Watch what you say and you'll be fine, there are tons of users that have been around for ages that have a clean history. There are certain things we don't like around here, so say and do them somewhere else.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Not at all.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Petrified.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]No he doesn't. Depending on your opinions, you might be modded as offensive.solidruss

Watch what you say and you'll be fine, there are tons of users that have been around for ages that have a clean history. There are certain things we don't like around here, so say and do them somewhere else.

That was my point - 'You can express your feelings without violating the ToU' might not hold true, depending on your opinions.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 solidruss

[QUOTE="solidruss"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]No he doesn't. Depending on your opinions, you might be modded as offensive.Funky_Llama

That was my point - 'You can express your feelings without violating the ToU' might not hold true, depending on your opinions.

When your "opinions" violate the TOU, it becomes a problem. If the moderation was unjust you can appeal it. The system works despite what many many may think or say.

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
No. I really don't mind being modded. 99% of the time I deserve it.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="solidruss"]

solidruss

When your "opinions" violate the TOU, it becomes a problem. If the moderation was unjust you can appeal it. The system works despite what many many may think or say.

I think we both know how low the success rate with moderation appeals is >_> there's no way to prove that you're not trolling because you can't prove what your intentions were with a post, and there's no way to prove your post wasn't offensive because offensiveness is subjective. So most appeals are pretty much doomed to failure. >:

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
[QUOTE="solidruss"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="solidruss"]

My point is there is always a way of expressing your opinion without getting in trouble by flaming or trolling someone. Some users have a problem understanding this. Not talking about you, Funky.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
That's why I dont post much anymore, it's too easy to get modded..... it's holding me back to express myself.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 solidruss

I think we both know how low the success rate with moderation appeals is >_> there's no way to prove that you're not trolling because you can't prove what your intentions were with a post, and there's no way to prove your post wasn't offensive because offensiveness is subjective. So most appeals are pretty much doomed to failure. >:

Funky_Llama

This is going to continue in circles, but you have absolutely no knowledge of how many moderations are overturned. I can tell you that moderations are reversed just about everyday. This may not be the case with your moderations but moderations are reversed.

As far as proving a post wasn't trolling, all I can say is when you create a post, hit the preview button and read it back to yourself out loud. You have a better chance of seeing it and saying "ya know, this is a bit harsh" or whatever.

You in particular love to post in threads where a heated debate is going on. Places like that you need to be more careful in what you say to other users and more importantly, how you say it. Debate the idea, not the individual, and keep in mind that other posters have a certain amount of passion attached to the debate in question. I would use Gabu as a great example of how to post in debates. Read what he posts, he will counter an opinion, take it apart, and in the whole process never insult the user or others reading.

Hopefully this makes sense. I'm not know for long replies so hopefully this shows that I am concerned if people are really all that scared about posting here.

Case in point, I read this reply out loud and changed my wording on a few things. I didn't say anything bad, but there was some phrasing that I thought could be taken the wrong way.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
It just depends on how you word things..........
Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Really depends on the mood of the mods - and if someone has been reporting stuff.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

In religious topics I hold back big time. Most of the moderations I have are for remarks I've made about religion, and with the new religious guidelines I find myself very carefully thinking about how to word what I want to say now. It's not easy.

ZookGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 ZookGuy
Member since 2008 • 2340 Posts
Big duxup is watching you.
tj_odee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 tj_odee
Member since 2008 • 210 Posts

not at all
I hold back sometimes, but am never scared

Faber_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Faber_Fighter
Member since 2006 • 1890 Posts

Not really. But i am angry that i was modded a few days ago for posting a picture on OT that was found offensive, even though i got it off another thread on OT 2 weeks earlier. I'm not even sure why it was offensive, it just had the word penis (if that was censored than OT is forever doomed) in it. Surely that's not bad right?

kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
No, there is something wrong with you if you can't express your views in a level headed, logical and understandable way in my opinion. Unless you are actually a nutter, then it's probably better that those people get modded.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

It's the internet.. why would i be scared? If i get banned, i get banned.. the mods are really picky anyway and never seem to look at the context of posts before they mod them.. which they should. I am guessing i could randomly report a post and get it modded :P

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

Im prepared to bring the Truthiness (look down) at every chance i get.

"describes things that a person claims to know intuitively or "from the gut" without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts"

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

solidruss

This is going to continue in circles, but you have absolutely no knowledge of how many moderations are overturned. I can tell you that moderations are reversed just about everyday. This may not be the case with your moderations but moderations are reversed.

As far as proving a post wasn't trolling, all I can say is when you create a post, hit the preview button and read it back to yourself out loud. You have a better chance of seeing it and saying "ya know, this is a bit harsh" or whatever.

You in particular love to post in threads where a heated debate is going on. Places like that you need to be more careful in what you say to other users and more importantly, how you say it. Debate the idea, not the individual, and keep in mind that other posters have a certain amount of passion attached to the debate in question. I would use Gabu as a great example of how to post in debates. Read what he posts, he will counter an opinion, take it apart, and in the whole process never insult the user or others reading.

Hopefully this makes sense. I'm not know for long replies so hopefully this shows that I am concerned if people are really all that scared about posting here.

Case in point, I read this reply out loud and changed my wording on a few things. I didn't say anything bad, but there was some phrasing that I thought could be taken the wrong way.

I did only say that most appeals are doomed to failure.

And yeah, what you're advising should be the way things work, but it's not. I've had plenty of trolling moderations that had nothing to do with insulting an individual or even discussing them. Quite frankly I think the mod team as a whole needs to take a step back and realise that discerning a user's intentions with a post isn't half as easy as they think it is.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

I'm shaking as we speak.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
all I can say is when you create a post, hit the preview button and read it back to yourself out loud. You have a better chance of seeing it and saying "ya know, this is a bit harsh" or whatever.solidruss
do moderators do this with regards to their moderations?
lukas1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lukas1051
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts

I hate the moderation system on these forums. Moderators just lurk in the dark and lock your threads/ban you without even explaining why. Sometimes, threads just get locked because they don't agree with them or think it's a stupid topic (basically, anything not to do with religion). They rarely partake in discussions, and when they do they are dealy serious about everything. I don't think many of them have a sense of humour. Also, they are often quite snobbish and stuck up just because of their moderationship and post count. This post will probably be hidden, and this whole thread actually just because the mods don't like what we're saying and are too cowardly to accept they are sometimes wrong. But hey, you just have to live with it, the only reason I come here is because I can get some good and active PS3 discussion, but you'll rarely see me in Off Topic.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

They rarely partake in discussions, and when they do they are dealy serious about everything.

lukas1051
You haven't spent much time on these forums have you..
lukas1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lukas1051
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts
[QUOTE="lukas1051"]

They rarely partake in discussions, and when they do they are dealy serious about everything.

RiseAgainst12
You haven't spent much time on these forums have you..

No I haven't, and from what I've seen they all come across as... how can I put this without getting modded... I can't.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Mods can be a pretty hash some times, you just need to make friends with one mod( that way he ll help you out if you get in trouble ;) )
HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

lol No I'm not.:P

I try to express my opinions without offendin' anybody. If you do that, you should be just fine.:)

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

I hate the moderation system on these forums. Moderators just lurk in the dark and lock your threads/ban you without even explaining why. Sometimes, threads just get locked because they don't agree with them or think it's a stupid topic (basically, anything not to do with religion). They rarely partake in discussions, and when they do they are dealy serious about everything. I don't think many of them have a sense of humour. Also, they are often quite snobbish and stuck up just because of their moderationship and post count. This post will probably be hidden, and this whole thread actually just because the mods don't like what we're saying and are too cowardly to accept they are sometimes wrong. But hey, you just have to live with it, the only reason I come here is because I can get some good and active PS3 discussion, but you'll rarely see me in Off Topic.

lukas1051
Anyone who becomes a moderator is going to be seen as unnecessarily harsh by the people they mod. You say they're deadly serious about what they do, but most of the ones who post on OT do have a sense of humour but every time they actually make a joke when eg. closing a thread, everyone starts complaining about snide remarks or abuse of power; nobody really wants to see mods as human. It's not a job I'd want to do - nobody takes you at face value any more so it's nearly impossible to post straight in most topics, and half the posters have their personal vendettas against a few mods.
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Lol, basically anytime somebody gets hurt feelings over a post theyre allowed to report it and have the person penalized for it. A guy asked once if people thought his dad was an idiot for something he did, and I responded with "yeah your dad is an idiot" and got a warning. I'm not scared at all. if they actually want to ban me for so little, fine by me.

This, the moderators work is pathetic.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
You can express your feelings without violating the ToU.Travo_basic
Exactly. Most of the time one gets modded because he/she breaks the rules... don't break the rules, don't get modded.
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts
Not these forums, but GameFAQs. The moderators there are terrible at their job and I've been suspended numerous times for no apparent reason.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
Yes. That's why my post count is so low....:(
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
No, I don't. I honestly don't see why anyone would be scared. It's not that hard to explain your point or idea without insulting/trolling.
uncledeath2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 uncledeath2005
Member since 2005 • 5890 Posts

Yes I do!