Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

So Disney´s acquisition of Fox finally becomes a fact and it looks like Disney will become a major threat to Netflix

Homer Simpson probably won't become the newest member of the Avengers, but anything's possible now that Disney owns 21st Century Fox.

One year after the Walt Disney Co. announced the $71.3 billion merger, it's official. The deal, which closed Wednesday at 12:02 a.m. Eastern time, reshapes the media landscape and makes Disney an even greater entertainment behemoth. In bolstering its trove of characters and stories, the acquisition also puts Disney in a stronger position to take on Netflix and other streaming companies when it launches its own service, Disney+, later this year.

Disney, which already owns the Pixar, Marvel and the Star Wars brands, will now also get Deadpool and the Fox-owned Marvel characters such as the X-Men and Fantastic Four, allowing for the full Marvel family to be united. Disney also now owns former Fox television networks such as FX Networks and National Geographic Partners. Disney will also get Fox's 30 percent ownership of Hulu, giving Disney a controlling share of 60 percent.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/20/705009029/disney-officially-owns-21st-century-fox?t=1553106836701

It will be interesting to see what and how Netflix responds to this because that is a lot of content Disney now owns and certainly will pull from Netflix and launch on their own service and together with Hulu where a lot of big shows already is, Netflix may soon end up a very empty platform except for their own content and honestly nothing is so great that it warrants a subscription.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

We'll always have Paris. Lets remember the good times before Disney ruined (or ruins) good franchises.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I guess its Netflix time to make some movies.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

With Endgame removing the old guard of the Avengers, it's the perfect time for Marvel to introduce the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool to the MCU's next phase.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jacanuk
@johnd13 said:

With Endgame removing the old guard of the Avengers, it's the perfect time for Marvel to introduce the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool to the MCU's next phase.

Loading Video...

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

We'll always have Paris. Lets remember the good times before Disney ruined (or ruins) good franchises.

F

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnd13

@Jacanuk: That's exactly how Deadpool could brilliantly **** up the dramatic tone of future Avengers movies. I can't wait to see the dynamics between him and the other Marvel characters.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk

@johnd13: Yup, Ryan Reynolds has really stepped into the Deadpool character with a bang, And it would be hilarious to see him with the Avengers, he would destroy the movies hope of ever being serious but damn it would be funny and we need to laugh, the other "superheroes" are getting stale.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnd13

@Jacanuk: People are saying it's gonna be hard to top Thanos as the bad guy in future Avengers movies. I say let Deadpool play the villain and watch as awesomeness and hilarity ensue.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@johnd13 said:

@Jacanuk: People are saying it's gonna be hard to top Thanos as the bad guy in future Avengers movies. I say let Deadpool play the villain and watch as awesomeness and hilarity ensue.

Oh man... can you imagine the fourth wall breaking opportunities with Deadpool and Josh Brolin Cable and Thanos? I think Deadpool's head would explode.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

They had a good start with ruining the Star Wars franchise.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Solaryellow said:

They had a good start with ruining the Star Wars franchise.

I can certainly agree with such a sentiment. Recapturing the magic of IV-VI was damned near impossible, as evidenced by Lucas' vision with the prequels, but one had to be a special kind of stupid to screw up such an established name on such a level as we have seen with the two most recent entries. I'm totally convinced disney could screw up a one car funeral.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I think we are going to get bored with those MCU movies if they do that.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13
@horgen said:
@johnd13 said:

I think we are going to get bored with those MCU movies if they do that.

Why? They have to shake up their existing formula at some point. Their movies are fun to watch and bring in a lot of money but it's getting stale. Crossover with the X-Men and Deadpool would be very interesting.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

I'm wondering more what this means for 20th Century Fox as a film studio. Looks like the bloodletting has already begun...

https://news.avclub.com/disney-is-shutting-down-fox-2000-and-taking-a-buzzsaw-t-1833478748

Granted this isn't the main film division, but I do wonder nevertheless.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19581 Posts

After almost monopolizing Holllywood, Disney now wants to do the same for streaming.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator

@johnd13 said:

Why? They have to shake up their existing formula at some point. Their movies are fun to watch and bring in a lot of money but it's getting stale. Crossover with the X-Men and Deadpool would be very interesting.

That some point is right around the corner if you ask me. Saw Captain Marvel recently. Entertaining, but nothing that will help me remember it really.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@johnd13 said:

That some point is right around the corner if you ask me. Saw Captain Marvel recently. Entertaining, but nothing that will help me remember it really.

I always consider Marvel movies as popcorn movies. Entertaining but not filling.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@johnd13 said:

I always consider Marvel movies as popcorn movies. Entertaining but filling.

Infinity War had a top notch villain.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

I have noticed Netflix has become quantity over quality.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:

Infinity War had a top notch villain.

One of the first decent villains for Marvel movies.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk
@robert_sparkes said:

I have noticed Netflix has become quantity over quality.

In what way? They have lost so many shows that even the US store looks like an eastern European pre-wall supermarket as to new shows

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@johnd13 said:

I always consider Marvel movies as popcorn movies. Entertaining but not filling.

They're like DC movies, but enjoyable.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@johnd13 said:

Well said.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@sonicare said:

Well said.

DC movies are better. But if you want surface movies.......Marvel's got you covered.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

DC movies are better. But if you want surface movies.......Marvel's got you covered.

Imo they have interesting characters, but somehow are not able to pull it of on the big screen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@sonicare said:

Well said.

The recent slate of DC movies have been horrific. Batman vs. Superman, justice league, suicide squad, aquaman, and so forth. Dark knight series was fantastic but that's been forever ago. I think wonder woman is the only well reviewed movie in the whole group. It's not just me either - most critics have rated those movies as extremely poor. No opinion is right or wrong, but I'd say you are in the extreme minority there.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@sonicare said:

Well said.

The recent slate of DC movies have been horrific. Batman vs. Superman, justice league, suicide squad, aquaman, and so forth. Dark knight series was fantastic but that's been forever ago. I think wonder woman is the only well reviewed movie in the whole group. It's not just me either - most critics have rated those movies as extremely poor. No opinion is right or wrong, but I'd say you are in the extreme minority there.

I had some friends viewed Shazam, said it was actually very good.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Solaryellow: With the two most recent entries? Wtf you talking about? Last Jedi I get, if you hated it fine, but solo was great and only suffered at the box office because of the virgin neckbeards not boycotting the next Star Wars movie after seeing LJ. Which is incredibly dumb to boycott an actually good film because of a previous film you didn't like.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@sonicare said:

Well said.

That's opinion. I liked most of those movies. Not Suicide Squad TBH. Aquaman did fairly well with reviews. Average came out to 65 on RT. Which is still in the fresh zone.

Also reviews should not be your barometer. Reviews are bought. And negative reviews can be bought as well.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@sonicare said:

Well said.

I had some friends viewed Shazam, said it was actually very good.

Looks fun. I will give it that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@sonicare said:

Well said.

That's opinion. I liked most of those movies. Not Suicide Squad TBH. Aquaman did fairly well with reviews. Average came out to 65 on RT. Which is still in the fresh zone.

Also reviews should not be your barometer. Reviews are bought. And negative reviews can be bought as well.

I highly doubt there is a massive conspiracy where disney is buying the hundreds upon hundreds of individual reviewers that make up rotten tomatoes to praise marvel and slam dc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Coincidentally I cancelled Netflix.

I spent a month without Hulu, and when I came back, I realized it was like $6. I went to cancel Netflix and realized paying double for it, and so far not missing it.

Like WWE Network, Netflix is becoming something I just get every 6 months to catch up on their programming, not something you keep.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I highly doubt there is a massive conspiracy where disney is buying the hundreds upon hundreds of individual reviewers that make up rotten tomatoes to praise marvel and slam dc.

Really? Because there was a recent report that that happens.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Really? Because there was a recent report that that happens.

Like the President of Fandango and RT was once board of Trustees in Disney or possibly is a good friend of Bob Iger?