Did You Like Star Wars The Force Awakens?

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Poll Did You Like Star Wars The Force Awakens? (44 votes)

Yes 61%
No 27%
Haven't watched it yet/Don't care 11%

Just wondering how many people enjoyed or liked Star Wars Episode 7. Feel free to discuss.

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59100 Posts

Probably a thread more for off topic.

It was alright, enjoyed the clone was series more.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44331 Posts

I loved, thought it was a great movie.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#3 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

No. And think those who rave about it have some serious blinders on.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

I thought it was average, and a copy and paste of New Hope, but I expected all of that given who the director was, and I had recognized that the whole point of this movie was for Disney to prove to audiences that they can make a good Star Wars movie. It's episode 8 and 9 that I'm hyped for since I'm expecting we'll get to see some new stuff, and I'm also really excited to see Rogue One even though its plot is going to replace what happened in Dark Forces.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Pretty good. Not as good as the originals but better than the prequels.

The main thing I liked though was that the story they've set up is interesting so I'm excited to see the next 2.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Yeah, maybe you're right, but there seems to be a bunch of other threads in the Games Discussion forum, that probably belong in Off Topic.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

It was good. Not better than the originals but nothing ever will be. The prequels don't exist. As much as I liked it, it still wasn't the best movie of the year. That goes to Mad Max Fury road.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

Seriously, if you hate the prequels the series is a what it could have been. It's unfortunate it had to skit around them rather than been it's own complete adaptation.

http://youtu.be/1zO8Fch59SY

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Eh, it was ok. They went from the overly political plot of conspiracy of the prequels to a barebones Disney plot for children. I wish they kept it a bit more in the middle, but I'll take it. It could have been far worse, considering what JJ Abrams did to Star Trek.

I guess my opinion can be summarized like this:

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yes. I think many of the complaints leveraged at it also apply to the original classics if we set nostalgia aside. I also think it is a substantial improvement over the prequels, and I think complaints about it mirroring New Hope don't acknowledge the fact that, if using the books and general lore as a guide, this is exactly how a movie like The Force Awakens would have been expected to go. Not to spoil anything, but the people in play and their origins and relationships (some of which are still not officially revealed yet) are consistent with the cyclical nature of the stories that have already been written (even if the specific details have been taken a new direction by the writers)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

PS, thus is indeed OT - moving it there accordingly

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Sure, I liked it, but I also liked the prequels. As far as liking something goes, I'm not terribly picky. I like a whole lot of crap and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Now, did I think it was good? I'm just gonna be nice here and say, "I guess it could have been a lot worse."

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

I thought it was average, and a copy and paste of New Hope, but I expected all of that given who the director was, and I had recognized that the whole point of this movie was for Disney to prove to audiences that they can make a good Star Wars movie. It's episode 8 and 9 that I'm hyped for since I'm expecting we'll get to see some new stuff, and I'm also really excited to see Rogue One even though its plot is going to replace what happened in Dark Forces.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. For starters, I really don't get the argument that Disney had to play it safe in order to remove the stink of the prequels and show that they could make a good Star Wars movie. It's not like if the movie had been less derivative and less "safe" that everyone would have automatically hated them regardless of if they were good. After all, the complaints I'm hearing about the prequels isn't "they were different from the original trilogy." The complaint that I'm hearing is "they sucked." So making Episode VII a "copy and paste" job most certainly ISN'T something that Disney had to do. It's freaking Star Wars. All they had to do was make it GOOD. Making it a "copy and paste" job simply shows that Disney lacks confidence that they CAN make these movies good without doing a "copy and paste" job. They're not likely to abandon that direction once they got one successful movie in the bag. The whole argument behind Disney having to play it safe on their first Star Wars movie relies on them not having the confidence to NOT play it safe while still making their movie a SUCCESS. In other words, their strategy is "it worked before, so let's do it again." Once Episode VII is successful by copying and pasting what has been done before, what incentive do they have to do things differently with Episode VIII?

And secondly, might I refer you to those Marvel movies. Do you know who is behind those? Disney. And don't get me wrong, I actually love several of those Marvel movies and even in the ones that I don't like I usually see enough good stuff to not feel pissed off. But the two things I can say about those movies is that they are formulaic as shit, and they are still usually competent enough to still be worth a watch. That has been Disney's approach with the Marvel movies, it has worked out very well for them, and it would be monumentally stupid (from a business perspective) for Disney to treat Star Wars any differently. Especially after Disney spent 4 billion dollars on the franchise. They're out to make MONEY. The Marvel movies provided a successful blueprint on how to do that, and Disney's first Star Wars movie followed that blueprint and made a shitload of money. This is how the Star Wars franchise is going to be handled from now on. It would be absolutely stupid if Disney DIDN'T handle Star Wars like this from now on. And just like the Marvel movies, very few (if any) of the Star Wars movies are going to be HORRIBLE. They'll mostly be technically well done and competent, they'll mostly make for a decent 2 hours sitting in the cinema. They'll be fun and totally disposable, just like the Marvel movies. That isn't so bad, because things could be a lot worse. But don't expect Star Wars to be heading in any direction other than that for the near future.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

It was good. But prequels were better.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I haven't seen it. Based on what I've heard, I'm under the impression I'd probably think it's okay at most. I just don't like the direction they're taking things so I don't really care to follow it anymore.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Yes, The Force Awakens is a good movie, but not a great one.

I'd place it smack dab in the middle, 4th of 7.......it's better than the prequels but not as good as the original 3. However, it's closer to the original 3, because it's a good movie and the prequels were awful, despite having a few moments each.

All I remember from Episode 2 is Dooku battling Yoda, some big arena fight scene, and a lot of sappy romance.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Mediocre rehash that simply lives off the name and offers nothing new. Oblivious fanboys fail to see past the hype with their dumbfounded gibbering simply because of the name.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

another awful movie from an awful franchise.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Great movie

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Looking back now, I enjoyed it, but wanted so much more from it. More explanation of what was going on and more details about new people and things they introduced.

For a movie that tried to "remake" Star Wars they didn't have nearly as much story and character development.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts
@AFBrat77 said:

All I remember from Episode 2 is Dooku battling Yoda, some big arena fight scene, and a lot of sappy romance.

Everyone likes that stupid scene with Yoda fighting Dooku. It absolutely cheapens and destroys the character of Yoda. Yoda wasn't a soldier. He used his mind not his body. That's why they made him a tiny yet wise strange creature. He didn't rely on that crude flesh. Why else would they need Luke? Yoda could have just kicked all of their asses. This prequel version of Yoda is just terrible. Sooo dumbed down. It completely disrespects the very best Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back. But what am I talking about, those prequels do not exist!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

@mark1974: The prequels address that the Jedi aren't soldiers, and are reluctantly drawn in.

Force Awakens messes up lore more significantly, Starwars is about father and son, with the father redeemed through the son. In the context of the series, Vader destroying The Sith.

Force Awakens effectively renders that moot with Vader actually inciting the darkyishh side.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Tis my favorite Star Wars movie. Think it is without-a-doubt better than the original trilogy, but nostalgia is king.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

hated it to many plot holes

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

I thought it was meh.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@mark1974:

I think it's perfectly in line with Yoda to fight if he has to. I had no problems with it, best scene of that dreadful movie.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I thought it sucked, it's just a re-make of A New Hope but with haphazard pacing and crappy, forgettable characters.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Yes ... because it's a copy paste from Joseph Kony and the child soldiers

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I liked it.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

I haven't seen it yet....

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

It was alright. Like JJ's Star Trek, kinda vapid, but I understand that his movies are more catered toward the general audience than hardcore ST/SW fans.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

It was OK.

DandelionWine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points