Dear Mods, this long derailed crazy thread needs a lock please :) Thank you

This topic is locked from further discussion.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

Julian Assange was just arrested, he turned himself in

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40544697/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/

Figured with all the Wikileaks and Assange threads over the past few days that this seemed newsworthy for OT

If this is about the unprotected sex charge than ok but if they try to bring anything against him because of Wikileaks I am against this.

Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
[QUOTE="testfactor888"]

Julian Assange was just arrested, he turned himself in

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40544697/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/

Figured with all the Wikileaks and Assange threads over the past few days that this seemed newsworthy for OT

If this is about the unprotected sex charge than ok but if they try to bring anything against him because of Wikileaks I am against this.

the unproteced sex case is a strong one, but i am mixed about Wikileaks as i had family serve in the Military and i don't know if what they are doing is right or not.
MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Shouldn't this be sorted by the Swedish government? I fully support Wiikileaks and Mr. Assange so I wish him the best of luck.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

So this would be ironic: Someone gets ahold of the private documents and files being used by Assange's defense team, and posts those to Wikileaks.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Seems like he's handling it pretty well.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jediknight52501
he should be transferred to Sweden where the case happened, i am not a big fan of Wikileaks, but they should leave that part alone and deal wuth the real issue, the unprotected sex case.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44703 Posts
So consensual unprotected sex puts you on Interpol's most wanted? Wonder how long they'll put him away on this charge if they can't charge him for espionage, I mean how long can they lock you up for consensual unprotected sex?
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jediknight52501
So consensual unprotected sex puts you on Interpol's most wanted? Wonder how long they'll put him away on this charge if they can't charge him for espionage, I mean how long can they lock you up for consensual unprotected sex?lamprey263
i bet he gets out that one, if the soy ones are done, they should be a seperate case.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
Wait wait wait wait. The guy got arrested cause he didn't use a condom???????
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
[QUOTE="conistant"]Wait wait wait wait. The guy got arrested cause he didn't use a condom???????

Apparently, it's because the condom broke and the woman told him to stop, but he wouldn't, so he's being charged with rape/sexual assault.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127536 Posts
I am expecting him to be delivered to Sweden next to deal with the rape case.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 conistant

[QUOTE="conistant"]Wait wait wait wait. The guy got arrested cause he didn't use a condom???????ayanami_rei
Apparently, it's because the condom broke and the woman told him to stop, but he wouldn't, so he's being charged with rape/sexual assault.

That is so damn weird and absurd and............:lol:.

jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jediknight52501
I am expecting him to be delivered to Sweden next to deal with the rape case. horgen123
the rape case should be the main thing they focus, they should leave the spy case to a different hearing. that is my opinion.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Such a shame, this guy was doing great work.
However, he stated that if anything should happen to him a document will be released with all the information he had, things that haven't even been posted yet. Like a full list of active spies and addresses.

ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ayanami_rei

[QUOTE="ayanami_rei"][QUOTE="conistant"]Wait wait wait wait. The guy got arrested cause he didn't use a condom???????conistant

That is so damn weird and absurd and............:lol:.

Well, if a condom broke, the woman knew and she told you to stop, would it still be consensual sex? Would you stop or would you continue going? I guess it just depends on the judgment of the matter at hand, whether it being true or not.
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ayanami_rei

However, he stated that if anything should happen to him a document will be released with all the information he had, things that haven't even been posted yet. Like a full list of active spies and addresses.

Sagem28

Wouldn't that be considered blackmail?

jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jediknight52501
he turned himself in, so lets hope the info does not get leaked, he has to face the fact he commited a crime and that he may have to do the time, all depends on how the case in Sweden goes.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sagem28

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

ayanami_rei

Wouldn't that be considered blackmail?

It is blackmail.
But if it's either that or your life I think the choice is made pretty quickly.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

U.S. Attorney General Holder is no doubt waiting. Anyone want to bet that Sweden already has a deal to extradite him to the U.S.?:lol:

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="horgen123"]I am expecting him to be delivered to Sweden next to deal with the rape case. jediknight52501
the rape case should be the main thing they focus, they should leave the spy case to a different hearing. that is my opinion.

What spy case? :P Still the rape case... Do they have any evidence, more than words from 2 people?
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 testfactor888

U.S. Attorney General Holder is no doubt waiting. Anyone want to bet that Sweden already has a deal to extradite him to the U.S.?:lol:

topsemag55
For what crime did Assange commit that Holder could have against him that would even allow him to be extradited in the first place. Make a concrete case to how you think an extradition could ever happen of him to the US. State the laws he has broken.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

topsemag55
And I hope he will only be waiting, waiting and waiting.
GTA_fan999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GTA_fan999
Member since 2010 • 235 Posts
Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jediknight52501
[QUOTE="jediknight52501"][QUOTE="horgen123"]I am expecting him to be delivered to Sweden next to deal with the rape case. horgen123

What spy case? :P Still the rape case... Do they have any evidence, more than words from 2 people?

honestly i doubt it, i bet he goes to the US instead. hate to see how ugly that case is going to be, it is going to be a madhouse here in the States.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Abotu damn time. Hope he gets convicted on the rape charges.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jediknight52501
Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).GTA_fan999
see i am starting to think Wikileaks needs to be shut down, i had family serve in the Military and seeing them in danger is never a good thing, maybe he needs to spend a few years in jail or maybe he should go to where the real dnager is, The Middle East and Korea.
GTA_fan999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTA_fan999
[QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).jediknight52501
see i am starting to think Wikileaks needs to be shut down, i had family serve in the Military and seeing them in danger is never a good thing, maybe he needs to spend a few years in jail or maybe he should go to where the real dnager is, The Middle East and Korea.

People that don't want it shut down are hoping enough information gets out so to make US security more vulnerable to foreign attacks. If you ever talk to someone that supports Wikileaks, be assured that this is their main motivation for supporting Julian Assange.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 conistant
[QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).

I don't understand how he put lives in danger.Explain it to me please.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 testfactor888
[QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).

Well according to your narrow view of reality I guess I am a terrorist living in the US. I support Assange
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jediknight52501
[QUOTE="jediknight52501"][QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).GTA_fan999

People that don't want it shut down are hoping enough information gets out so to make US security more vulnerable to foreign attacks. If you ever talk to someone that supports Wikileaks, be assured that this is their main motivation for supporting Julian Assange.

i don't want to see that happen again, 9/11 was bad enough.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 testfactor888

[QUOTE="jediknight52501"][QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).GTA_fan999

My main motivation for supporting Assange is I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of the press no matter what it entails. No matter the consequences.

jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jediknight52501
[QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).testfactor888
Well according to your narrow view of reality I guess I am a terrorist living in the US. I support Assange

i don't support the attack on Americans or the Military, i had family serve and i am against Assange and Wikileaks.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sagem28

oooh boy :roll:
I support Assange, so that makes me a terrorist that wants to see the US fall ?

GTA_fan999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GTA_fan999
[QUOTE="GTA_fan999"][QUOTE="jediknight52501"]see i am starting to think Wikileaks needs to be shut down, i had family serve in the Military and seeing them in danger is never a good thing, maybe he needs to spend a few years in jail or maybe he should go to where the real dnager is, The Middle East and Korea.testfactor888

My main motivation for supporting Assange is I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of the press no matter what it entails. No matter the consequences. Again you are being very narrow minded toward reality about why some people support him.

You believe in giving our enemies national security information, which is no doubt supporting terrorism against the USA.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 testfactor888
[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]Rape charges are the least of this creep's worries now. He has put the lives of every American and countless others around the world in danger. The real reason people support him is because they want to see more attack on the United States, much like on 9/11. Now is the time to draw lines in the sand and stand on the side of terrorism (Assange) or freedom (United States).jediknight52501

i don't support the attack on Americans or the Military, i had family serve and i am against Assange and Wikileaks.

I don't support the attacks on anyone but for me freedom of speech and freedom of the press are some of the most important values that this country should adhere to. People like GTA_fan999 are the ones who make me ashamed to live in the US and wish I lived somewhere else most of the time.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jediknight52501
[QUOTE="GTA_fan999"][QUOTE="jediknight52501"]see i am starting to think Wikileaks needs to be shut down, i had family serve in the Military and seeing them in danger is never a good thing, maybe he needs to spend a few years in jail or maybe he should go to where the real dnager is, The Middle East and Korea.testfactor888

My main motivation for supporting Assange is I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of the press no matter what it entails. No matter the consequences. Again you are being very narrow minded toward reality about why some people support him.

i am also for freedom of speech and the freedom of the press, but when it involves our Troops, there is a line that you don't cross and seeing our Military getting hurt over info that is classified is where i draw the line.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

For what crime did Assange commit that Holder could have against him that would even allow him to be extradited in the first place. Make a concrete case to how you think an extradition could ever happen of him to the US. State the laws he has broken.testfactor888

It's hilarious how the left in OT want Assange to go free, yet Obama wants him tried.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday the Obama administration was considering using laws in addition to the U.S. Espionage Act to possibly prosecute the release of government information by WikiLeaks.

This means they will use the Espionage Act, the United States Code, plus any case law. It won't be hard at all.

But don't worry, we'll give him a lawyer, since PayPal froze $80K - damn, PayPal is so cool to have done that.:)

All Holder has to do is draw up the charges, and make a formal extradition request to Sweden. Sweden will do it as long as we promise not to strap him to Gumby.:P:lol:

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 testfactor888
[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="GTA_fan999"] People that don't want it shut down are hoping enough information gets out so to make US security more vulnerable to foreign attacks. If you ever talk to someone that supports Wikileaks, be assured that this is their main motivation for supporting Julian Assange.GTA_fan999

You believe in giving our enemies national security information, which is no doubt supporting terrorism against the USA.

I believe in freedom of the press. The soldier who gave the classified information is already in jail and will be held accountable for his actions. Assange did nothing wrong in publishing information that he was given as that is what a reporter tends to do.
OBLOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OBLOK
Member since 2004 • 1257 Posts

I support Assange because he is exposing the corruption in the U.S government and the people have the right to know, seeing as you support the government so much and not the people, clearly you must be Anti-American, just like the terrorists. :roll:

jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jediknight52501
what Wikileaks is doing should be looked at as a threat to everyone in the world, just not the U.S. of A. what they are leaking is the stuff you have nightmare about and trust me that is something that could start World War III. i am against the leaks and i don't want to see another 9/11. i honestly think Wikileaks should be shut down and Assange should be put in jail for a couple of years. that is how i feel about this and that is also my opinion.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jediknight52501
yeah the Government is corrupt, but what about the lives overseas, what about the people who defend this country, they are in more danger because of Assange and Wikileaks, don't you care about waht will happen to them or are you that niave?
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 testfactor888
what Wikileaks is doing should be looked at as a threat to everyone in the world, just not the U.S. of A. what they are leaking is the stuff you have nightmare about and trust me that is something that could start World War III. i am against the leaks and i don't want to see another 9/11. i honestly think Wikileaks should be shut down and Assange should be put in jail for a couple of years. that is how i feel about this and that is also my opinion.jediknight52501
I personally think you are vastly overdoing the effect of these leaks. Start World War 3? Really? Well it is your opinion but it sounds like an incredibly dramatized one with barely a foot stepped in reality. Its your opinion though so I can only say I disagree with it but you have all rights of course to feel that way
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jediknight52501
[QUOTE="jediknight52501"]what Wikileaks is doing should be looked at as a threat to everyone in the world, just not the U.S. of A. what they are leaking is the stuff you have nightmare about and trust me that is something that could start World War III. i am against the leaks and i don't want to see another 9/11. i honestly think Wikileaks should be shut down and Assange should be put in jail for a couple of years. that is how i feel about this and that is also my opinion.testfactor888
I personally think you are vastly overdoing the effect of these leaks. Start World War 3? Really? Well it is your opinion but it sounds like an incredibly dramatized one with barely a foot stepped in reality. Its your opinion though so I can only say I disagree with it but you have all rights of course to feel that way

read my last post and you will see how i feel, you have any family in the Military or ever have any serve before, i could go on all day about this, but i see that what i am trying to get at is not getting anywhere with any of you. i am a proud Amarican who knows the Government is corrupt, but there is a line that has been crossed and i hope this doesn't get too ugly before it is all over.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 testfactor888
[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="jediknight52501"]what Wikileaks is doing should be looked at as a threat to everyone in the world, just not the U.S. of A. what they are leaking is the stuff you have nightmare about and trust me that is something that could start World War III. i am against the leaks and i don't want to see another 9/11. i honestly think Wikileaks should be shut down and Assange should be put in jail for a couple of years. that is how i feel about this and that is also my opinion.jediknight52501

read my last post and you will see how i feel, you have any family in the Military or ever have any serve before, i could go on all day about this, but i see that what i am trying to get at is not getting anywhere with any of you. i am a proud Amarican who knows the Government is corrupt, but there is a line that has been crossed and i hope this doesn't get too ugly before it is all over.

I woulden't try to change your opinion on the issue as I already know you can't change my own opinion. You have all rights to feel a line has been crossed. Personally I don't feel the same and hope Assange gets to release the rest of what he has or someone else will do it for him. Chances are even if Assange gets put in jail for the rest of his life someone else will just step up and take his place. If Wikileaks gets taken down 10 sites will just take its place. It can't be stopped no matter what anyone tries especially with how strong of a story it has become
Fox-Call

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fox-Call
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

what Wikileaks is doing should be looked at as a threat to everyone in the world, just not the U.S. of A. what they are leaking is the stuff you have nightmare about and trust me that is something that could start World War III. i am against the leaks and i don't want to see another 9/11. i honestly think Wikileaks should be shut down and Assange should be put in jail for a couple of years. that is how i feel about this and that is also my opinion.jediknight52501
It's obvious you haven't personally read any of the leaks. None of the cables thus far have been a huge surprise.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="GTA_fan999"]

OBLOK

I support Assange because he is exposing the corruption in the U.S government and the people have the right to know, seeing as you support the government so much and not the people, clearly you must be Anti-American, just like the terrorists. :roll:

Personally, I think Assange is an attention-seeker. At the same time, I don't think he's that big a deal, nor does he carry all the blame in this. If you're appalled that this material got out, then be mad at the person(s) in the government/military who gave it to Assange. If Assange didn't publicize it, some other wanna-be celebrity would have.

In regards to what he's doing, I think there's a middle ground when it comes to secrecy. People, organizations, and governments have to have secrets. You cannot have governmental integrity while also having complete transparency. Now, as to whether or not Assange has crossed the line, I really don't know. I haven't conducted a serious survey of the material on Wikileaks, and I don't anyone else in this thread has either. I've heard in the news that some of the material released could be used to identify local operatives in the Middle East. If so, that's irresponsible.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sagem28

[QUOTE="jediknight52501"]what Wikileaks is doing should be looked at as a threat to everyone in the world, just not the U.S. of A. what they are leaking is the stuff you have nightmare about and trust me that is something that could start World War III. i am against the leaks and i don't want to see another 9/11. i honestly think Wikileaks should be shut down and Assange should be put in jail for a couple of years. that is how i feel about this and that is also my opinion.Fox-Call

It's obvious you haven't personally read any of the leaks. None of the cables thus far have been a huge surprise.

Indeed, it's not like he posted the nuclear launch codes on wikileaks...it's alot of diplomatic rules of engagement and the likes.

OBLOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OBLOK
Member since 2004 • 1257 Posts

yeah the Government is corrupt, but what about the lives overseas, what about the people who defend this country, they are in more danger because of Assange and Wikileaks, don't you care about waht will happen to them or are you that niave?jediknight52501
Of course i care about them, i have always said that the best way to defend our troops is for them to COME HOME. the U.S government has even prohibited any soldier from veiwing content from Wikileaks, i wonder why, actaully i'm pretty certain its because the troops would feel betrayed and retaliate if they knew the truth as to why they are actually fighting in the wars.

Its incredible how you even acknowledge that the government is corrupt, yet at the same time won't acknowledge that the tropps are in fact in danger because of the what the government does.