College: Underrated or Overrated?

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Hi guys.

What do you think about college? Overrated or underrated? 

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#2 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Neither. It's an important part of life for most people... which I'd say is common knowledge.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I guess it depends what you want to do with your life

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts
it's rated where it should be
JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

Definetly overrated. The first 2 1/2 years they are wasting your time because you arnt studying your major. They just make you take extra classes to suck money out of you. I just graduated high school this summer and i cant stand the thought of college. They arnt even really teaching you anything your just memorizing useless crap to take a test and on top of that you will probably have to owe studant loans smh

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I think it's overrated for some. Some people have no business in college and only go because its expected and they get nothin from it but debt. Education is important though but that can be trade skills, college, or on the job training / learning.
EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Definetly overrated. The first 2 1/2 years they are wasting your time because you arnt studying your major. They just make you take extra classes to suck money out of you. I just graduated high school this summer and i cant stand the thought of college. They arnt even really teaching you anything your just memorizing useless crap to take a test and on top of that you will probably have to owe studant loans smh

JordanizPro

I think that too.

I also think that the over-emphasis on going to college devalues the degrees that people are getting. Part of what makes something valuable it that is isn't common, right? So if everyone else has a degree, what makes yours so special? It used to be that having a degree could meant you'd be fairly likely to get a job. Nowadays, don't even bother applying for a job if you don't have the relevant degree. If you do have a degree, then you somehow have to prove that you are the world's most amazing employee in order to get the job. Or you have to know someone in the company (and I don't like that). Problem with that is that obviously not everyone is amazing, and not everyone has connections.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
College is not for everybody. I go, but frankly, I don't feel like it's for me considering I could do what I want without a degree. I'm basically just going so I can expand my intelligence via interesting classes. I know it's a waste of money, but frankly, I don't live my life in fear of money. If I have it then great, but if I don't then oh well.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

JordanizPro

I have to take about 12 credit hours of useless stuff. Every single other class I've taken has been useful in some way and I just finished my second year.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Depends on what kind of college education you get.  If you get liberal studies/gender studies/ethnic studies you are totally screwed unless you plan on teaching thos subjects or already have a job.

If you plan on working in a business doing office work, get a business degree that way you won't be 30 years old working at barnes & noble as a floor employee bitching about why your BA in chicano studies didn't get you no jobs, Sandra.  

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AutoPilotOn
College is not for everybody. I go, but frankly, I don't feel like it's for me considering I could do what I want without a degree. I'm basically just going so I can expand my intelligence via interesting classes. I know it's a waste of money, but frankly, I don't live my life in fear of money. If I have it then great, but if I don't then oh well.TonyDanzaFan
Why not just get the job then and learn there plus a lot of places will pay for classes as long as u keep good grades.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="JordanizPro"]

EnoshimaJunko

I think that too.

I also think that the over-emphasis on going to college devalues the degrees that people are getting. Part of what makes something valuable it that is isn't common, right? So if everyone else has a degree, what makes yours so special? It used to be that having a degree could meant you'd be fairly likely to get a job. Nowadays, don't even bother applying for a job if you don't have the relevant degree. If you do have a degree, then you somehow have to prove that you are the world's most amazing employee in order to get the job. Or you have to know someone in the company (and I don't like that). Problem with that is that obviously not everyone is amazing, and not everyone has connections.

BLS disagrees http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

The higher your degree, the more money you make and the more likely you are to be employed.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="JordanizPro"]

Ackad

Definitely agree. I don't understand why Fine Arts and Humanity classes are required for a Mathematics degree.

Those are the classes you go to to meet chicks.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn
I have have a 2 year degree from a community college I paid for out of pocket as I went. That got me nothing but on the job experience doing other non related jobs got me a good paying job. My wife has a 4 year degree with honors and has 10s of thousands debt and is having troubles finding a job that even pays over 10 an hour.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GummiRaccoon

I have have a 2 year degree from a community college I paid for out of pocket as I went. That got me nothing but on the job experience doing other non related jobs got me a good paying job. My wife has a 4 year degree with honors and has 10s of thousands debt and is having troubles finding a job that even pays over 10 an hour. AutoPilotOn

You are comparing degree levels when you should be comparing degree types.

What is your degree and what is hers?

Also studies have shown that community college graduates make more money immediately upon graduation than their 4 year counterparts because they get more relevant degrees.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AutoPilotOn
I have a generic computer science degree. She has hers in case management
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I have have a 2 year degree from a community college I paid for out of pocket as I went. That got me nothing but on the job experience doing other non related jobs got me a good paying job. My wife has a 4 year degree with honors and has 10s of thousands debt and is having troubles finding a job that even pays over 10 an hour. thegerg
My girlfriend and I both had 4 year liberal arts degrees (her's in biology, mine in military and government sciences) and we're both gainfully employed and finished school with no debt. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

I know every case is different. I was just trying to make a case no or little college doesn't mean failure low pay automatically. Experience on the job can be at least as valuable and sometimes more.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Overrated, though I never got a BA. The AA degree was a joke and like high school all over again but without any rules. Also, I know plenty of college grads that have never worked a day in their life and are complaining that they can't find a job. Some degrees are still useful though granted the person is a very hard worker and has some good connections or can establish a good network.

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

I loved undergraduate. Just started grad school, so idk about it yet. Almost every course I took as an undergrad provided something useful or interesting to me. For a liberal arts major I took some extra math because I was somewhat interested in a minor in mathematics for a while. Decided against it. But yeah, it was definitely worth it. I wound up taking a bunch of electives my last semester, and that was by far one of my best semesters. I really enjoyed it. The only thing I did that was related to my major was work on my senior honors thesis (which is optional), and it was in a specific area of study that I had loved since middle school.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

To be honest.. Even if I was able to get no job.. I still would be happy with my education with all the shit I learned. It's been worth it to me. I actually think people underrate the amount of information than can be gathered from school.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AutoPilotOn

To be honest.. Even if I was able to get no job.. I still would be happy with my education with all the shit I learned. It's been worth it to me. I actually think people underrate the amount of information than can be gathered from school.

The_Lipscomb
I don't understand though. It's not going to help you make a good living why spend all that money and get in debt?
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

AutoPilotOn

I don't understand though. It's not going to help you make a good living why spend all that money and get in debt?

I don't pay for college. Scholarship.. If I had none.. I would have never gone.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AutoPilotOn
Oh lol well if its paid for then I don't blame you for just enjoying it and finding subjects interesting. Unfortunately for a lot of people it has to make economical sense and have a payoff for the huge investment
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Lipscomb
Oh lol well if its paid for then I don't blame you for just enjoying it and finding subjects interesting. Unfortunately for a lot of people it has to make economical sense and have a payoff for the huge investment AutoPilotOn
I know, it's really unfortunate... Because college is place to greatly expand your mind and experiences.. but everyone is so worried about their debts all the time, it's hard for them to enjoy that.. Really a shame.
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
I think before jumping into college directly after high school its good to get some real world experience working, etc especially if you are undecided on your course of study. I jumped into the service after high school and after many jobs after I didn't start college until 10 years after high school. I got a job in that field before I finished that degree but later had an offer I couldn't refuse and quit it to be a full time studend and get another associates in my early 30s! Old man on campus.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#29 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

i think for the financial cost it costs the individual and the degrees that the vast majority seem to go for. yes it's overrated, i think. 

It doesn't seem to pay itself off. I would suggest the financial costs of most degrees to be dramatically lowered. 

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
FYI: Recent reports indicate you get more bang for your buck at community colleges than universities, etc. Ironically I work a the job I got from going to one even after leaving it and getting a degree from a larger one. I didn't have luck finding a job with the new degree and ended up back at my old job. Only making more money now because we got the Union in there, not my education level.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
Depends on how you utilize it, but college is one of the best things I ever did for my life.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
A bit of both, but mostly overrated. 90% of what they teach you is either complete bull$hit, utterly subjective, or completely useless.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

underated

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Lipscomb
A bit of both, but mostly overrated. 90% of what they teach you is either complete bull$hit, utterly subjective, or completely useless. ShadowsDemon
Can't say I have had that experience. Quite the opposite.
EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

It'd be nice is they made college less expensive. Back in the day, a college degree wasn't all that necessary to land a decent job. Nowadays, you need a college degree to get almost any full time job. So why don't they make it less expensive? K-12 is mandatory for everyone, and that's pretty much free (yes, I know its supported via taxes, but in college you're paying taxes plus tution and the other stuff).

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cain006

A bit of both, but mostly overrated. 90% of what they teach you is either complete bull$hit, utterly subjective, or completely useless. ShadowsDemon
:lol: You're an idiot.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

those who landed a good post-graduate job related to their degree think it is underrated.

those post-graduates just struggling to find any job think it is overrated.

Sadly, the latter just keeps growing.

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]A bit of both, but mostly overrated. 90% of what they teach you is either complete bull$hit, utterly subjective, or completely useless. cain006

No he isnt. He is telling the truth. College for the most part is useless. Its a waste of time
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

[QUOTE="JordanizPro"]

EnoshimaJunko

I think that too.

No. No, no, no, no, noooooo. First off, college is likely the best investment you -can- make: knowledge is the only thing that, bar a freak accident, you can't lose. Second, the value of a college degree isn't that you have it and others don't, it's that you can do things that others can't and that you've studied, extensively, topics that one regularly doesn't. You don't need to prove anything when you have a degree, you just need to apply the knowledge you learned to the degree-appropriate job you got. Very few laymen would be able to perform the job of a lawyer, physician, surgeon, engineer, statistician or even a teacher (a proper one, too, who's studied what he teaches and the methods to convey knowledge).

With that said, I think college isn't particularly overrated or underrated by the population. It's very useful, but dedicating yourself to studying for 4 - 6 years, possibly more, isn't something everyone is willing to do. And that's fine. There are plenty of opportunities for people who don't want to go to college; but there are also plenty of opportunities that are  exclusive  to people with a certain college degree.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

JordanizPro

This, also I have had conversations with older people about how they seem more geared towards trying to influence you, rather than being about getting you into a field of work.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Overrated.. I heard so many people owed so much money for college for nothing, not even funny, became more like a scam for money.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]A bit of both, but mostly overrated. 90% of what they teach you is either complete bull$hit, utterly subjective, or completely useless. JordanizPro

No he isnt. He is telling the truth. College for the most part is useless. Its a waste of time

Okay tell me how an engineering degree is useless. How 90% of what you learn is bullshit, subjective, or useless.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Overrated. I didn't even finished grade school and my life is the one of a winner!

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Well on one hand I thought the academic part of it was just a waste. I don't remember much from my four years, and memorizing endless amounts of information and writing papers and whatnot didn't prepare me for the working world at all. I wish college was more related to what people actually do once they graduate, rather than just be a memorization party. :? I also feel like while everyone in college is so worried about their GPA, it really doesn't matter at all. I've never once had an employer ask about my GPA before. Which is the way it should be, seeing as how the skills required to do well in school most likely aren't going to be the skills you'll need to do well in the working world. On the other hand, I wouldn't have the gotten the job I'm at had it not been for getting a degree, so.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#46 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
In the Philippines, I think it's rated just where it should be; neither over nor under. However the whole university and college battle for supremacy is really overrated in my opinion. Back when I was a student, I would have loved to be in a well known university rather than where I studied but now I'm just happy I've graduated with a degree. Now I honestly don't care about which is the "better" university and whatnot.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

When I got my job (which required a degree), my starting pay was about twice that of someone who didn't have a degree who'd been working there for 20 years.  I don't know how you could overrate that.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#48 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

When I got my job (which required a degree), my starting pay was about twice that of someone who didn't have a degree who'd been working there for 20 years.  I don't know how you could overrate that.

Jackc8
whats the job and degree if i can ask. the company i work for is notorious for paying low. we are like the Wal-Mart of oil/gas drilling contractors. and while my job did not REQUIRE a degree (in fact i'm one of the very few with one - let alone i got two). that i get paid literally 2 times as much as someone who doesn't have a degree just starting off. and i managed to transfer to the client company could get paid as much as 4 times what i'm paid now.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

JordanizPro
Quoted for motherf*cking truth. I'm finishing up my last semester in community college (I hope) and most classes I've taken do not pertain to my major, which is psychology. Why the hell do I need to take a goddamn chemistry class with a shitty lab component? Not to mention I've always struggled with math and the teacher just blows through the material assuming every person in the classroom understands the shit. College really seems like a scam in the 21st century, and for most of us, it is the only way to get anywhere in this shitty world. Really makes me want to run into a busy intersection.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

To me it was a waste of time so it was overrated. Went 2 years and didn't get a degree.