Christianity, Islam, and Judaism is a family thing.

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 TigerSpiderman
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
No one actually chooses to be in these religions. Your parents influence your decisions early in life. Or a state of which you belong to (where it is pretty much considered family to a person anyway.) Most people never actually choose to be christian but through the years had the idea planted in their heads when they were children. A lot of people don't even get the choice and that influences what they will do in life for those implanted beliefs as well. A parent should not decide the fate of their children or do incredibly stupid things like naming their child: moses, christian, mesiah(in the news recently), islam, Muhammad, etc. to the point where they almost have to stick to one forcibly.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I chose to become a Christian a couple years ago, and but grew up as an atheist (which both of my parents are). I know quite a few people who were raised Christian and are now atheist.

People will eventually decide for themselves regardless of their upbringing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
You may be exposed to it by parents...but it is ultimately your choice. No one can make you believe.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
You're right OP, people are mindless sheep who don't question their beliefs and faith :roll:
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

You may be exposed to it by parents...but it is ultimately your choice. No one can make you believe.LJS9502_basic

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
but the youngest brother among those abrahamaic religion are out of control in this century. I want to hear some opinion from me younger brothers...
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

but they can choose to leave 

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hippiesanta

lostrib
in some country ... apostasy is illegal
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
You may be exposed to it by parents...but it is ultimately your choice. No one can make you believe.LJS9502_basic
Brain washing says otherwise.
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"]No one actually chooses to be in these religions. Your parents influence your decisions early in life. Or a state of which you belong to (where it is pretty much considered family to a person anyway.) Most people never actually choose to be christian but through the years had the idea planted in their heads when they were children. A lot of people don't even get the choice and that influences what they will do in life for those implanted beliefs as well. A parent should not decide the fate of their children or do incredibly stupid things like naming their child: moses, christian, mesiah(in the news recently), islam, Muhammad, etc. to the point where they almost have to stick to one forcibly.

You bring up a point that I've had for years and you're the first person I've come across who pretty much summed up my exact thoughts regarding this particular flaw. There are many people who call themselves dedicated Christians because that's how they were raised. But if this individual was born in a region with a different dominant religion, this person would be a dedicated "whatever religion". I have no problem with religious people (I'm even one to an extent) but I wish people would decide for themselves and not blindly follow something they were born into.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

my sister actually blamed my mother for herself not having a christian upbringing... blamed my mother for having herself having her first child out of wedlock... hahaha she seriously has phsychological issues.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
You're right OP, people are mindless sheep who don't question their beliefs and faith :roll:CptJSparrow

People will eventually decide for themselves regardless of their upbringing.

chessmaster1989
I see the smarter crowd likes to come out at night.
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
You're right OP, people are mindless sheep who don't question their beliefs and faith :roll:CptJSparrow
I believe the point he's trying to make is that there is a fair amount of people who do exactly what your sarcastic/condescending comment states. Just take a look at the Westboro Baptist church members. Parental influence can greatly impact a child's beliefs.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

The idea that no one chooses their religion is false, but I'm fairly certain that the majority of people are heavily influenced to believe a specific religion with hardly any choice, or thought put into it. Or do you really believe that the majority of people of Irish or Italian heritage all simply chose to be catholic because they studied each religion, and catholicism just happened to personally speak to them?

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

No one actually chooses to be in these religions. Your parents influence your decisions early in life. Or a state of which you belong to (where it is pretty much considered family to a person anyway.) Most people never actually choose to be christian but through the years had the idea planted in their heads when they were children. A lot of people don't even get the choice and that influences what they will do in life for those implanted beliefs as well. A parent should not decide the fate of their children or do incredibly stupid things like naming their child: moses, christian, mesiah(in the news recently), islam, Muhammad, etc. to the point where they almost have to stick to one forcibly.TigerSpiderman

Wow, you're a tad ignorant of nurture concepts aren't you? What's next, you gonna ask parents to avoid "indoctrinating" their own kids in the two parent or single parent households? Let's just do away with any societal or cultural influences until they are 18 while you're at it. Makes perfect sense. :roll:

P.S. I chose a different denomination when I was 15 with threats of being kicked out of my house. I chose to stay Christian at 18. I still exercised my free will after considering alternatives. And where the heck do you think converts come from? And where to atheists come from? Think about that for a second.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Eh... I grew up christian but eventually fell out of it on my own. I eventually became christian again because one day I was just sitting there listening to music and said, "Hey, I should go see what church and christianity is all about since I'm older now." A few years later I pulled myself out of church and the practice and just live my life as a person who believes in God. I still like to pray and listen to some worship/religious music but I don't do as the church "orders" you to live like.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

SNIPER4321

in some country ... apostasy is illegal

what illegal is making false propaganda, spreading lies and disinformation about religion so that other person can disperate and start fighting.

can someone translate?

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
The TC has a point. Children are more likely to adopt the beliefs and values of their parents then they are of complete strangers. This a statistical fact which no amount of anecdotal evidence can counter.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hippiesanta

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="hippiesanta"] in some country ... apostasy is illegallostrib

what illegal is making false propaganda, spreading lies and disinformation about religion so that other person can disperate and start fighting.

can someone translate?

translation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Religion is used to seperate people, and have them fighting each other! 

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
This parents influence their children argument can be said about the whole process of raising a child. Of course parents will influence you its their job after all. It is inevitable that they will influence you negatively whether they realize it or not. Add to that the notion that "negatively" here is subjective. The point is, at the end you will decide for yourself. My parents raised me as a Muslim and they've always been conservative Muslims. I turned out to be a Muslim too but I'm not as conservative as they are. Hell they always tell me I'm too liberal or something. If I were to renounce my religion they wouldn't be able to do anything to stop me and they won't anyway. In recent years there were many periods when I questioned my faith and beliefs. No one held a gun to my head, I had that liberty. Its not like religious people are mindless husks who are incapable of thinking for themselves. This kind of atheist's elitism is laughable at best.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You may be exposed to it by parents...but it is ultimately your choice. No one can make you believe.Fightingfan

Talking out of your ass again I see....
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

of course parents and family influence their children, but its not the only influence , and at the end of the day people make their own decisions.

for instance if I had listened to my parents, I would have turned into a religion hating athiest, didnt quite turn out that way

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="hippiesanta"] in some country ... apostasy is illegallostrib

can someone translate?

"Daaaaaah relgion is good spreading lies is bad muslim waffles"
Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]This kind of atheist's elitism is laughable at best.SNIPER4321
the only laughable thing about athiests is they say religious ppls have blind faith. but they blindly follow evolution theory. darwin say its theory (well i said its fake theory). they say its reality and thats laughable at best

lol
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
[QUOTE="CongressManStan"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"] I believe the point he's trying to make is that there is a fair amount of people who do exactly what your sarcastic/condescending comment states. Just take a look at the Westboro Baptist church members. Parental influence can greatly impact a child's beliefs.

1. Small sample I wouldn't consider a fair amount. 2. My point is that essentially everyone questions their faith at some point in their lives.

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"]You're right OP, people are mindless sheep who don't question their beliefs and faith :roll:Jolt_counter119

The idea that no one chooses their religion is false, but I'm fairly certain that the majority of people are heavily influenced to believe a specific religion with hardly any choice, or thought put into it. Or do you really believe that the majority of people of Irish or Italian heritage all simply chose to be catholic because they studied each religion, and catholicism just happened to personally speak to them?

I believe that everyone has a time in their life where they question their faith. Like you said they are heavily influenced by upbringing but ultimately they make the choice.
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You may be exposed to it by parents...but it is ultimately your choice. No one can make you believe.LJS9502_basic

You have been brainwashed since you are born! Believing this reality is real and forgot you are apart of one.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You may be exposed to it by parents...but it is ultimately your choice. No one can make you believe.LJS9502_basic

I don't think you know how manipulation works.

When you threaten someone with rape, murder, or physical harm you can make them believe whatever you want over with negative, or positive reinforcement.

If I tell someone for 25+ years the sky is red, and someone else tries to explain to them it's blue; they'll debate the individual to the death the sky is actually red. Same logic applies whens someone continuously lies to themselves, aka pathology.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

of course parents and family influence their children, but its not the only influence , and at the end of the day people make their own decisions.

for instance if I had listened to my parents, I would have turned into a religion hating athiest, didnt quite turn out that way

SNIPER4321
well parents know what is good for children. not any strangers.

Yeah, Hitler would make a great dad.
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Does it happen? Yes. Do many people also decide for themselves? Yes. I chose my faith, personally.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Brain washing says otherwise. Fightingfan

When you threaten someone with rape, murder, or physical harm you can make them believe whatever you want over with negative, or positive reinforcement.

If I tell someone for 25+ years the sky is red, and someone else tries to explain to them it's blue; they'll debate the individual to the death the sky is actually red. Same logic applies whens someone continuously lies to themselves, aka pathology.

Like I said talking out of your ass with zero knowledge.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Talking out of your ass again I see....LJS9502_basic

Exactly like the people who wrote the bible.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fightingfan

ass .LJS9502_basic
What would you know about that?

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I believe that everyone has a time in their life where they question their faith. Like you said they are heavily influenced by upbringing but ultimately they make the choice.cptJSparrow

Possibly, however that gives me the impression that they question "their" faith. ie: the faith they were raised on. Usually the choice is between their own faith or atheism, not their faith and another faith. My stance still remains that the large majority of religous people did not choose their own religion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

chrisrooR

LOL...didn't mean to rattle your insecurity dude.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Like I said talking out of your ass with zero knowledge.

Well considering you didn't have anything meaningful to contribute to the thread, I though I would follow your example.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Exactly like the people who wrote the bible. chrisrooR

Well considering you didn't have anything meaningful to contribute to the thread, I though I would follow your example.

I already contributed to the the thread....because some moron thinks they know what thought process people have and insists on it means he's ignorant and not worth taking seriously. You have not to my knowledge posted anything meaningful so get off your high horse.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
yea its technically people's choice, but its not like 20 years of parents brainwashing their children doesn't factor into their calculus later on. It's a choice for some people. for most it isn't
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"][QUOTE="CongressManStan"][QUOTE="CptJSparrow"] 1. Small sample I wouldn't consider a fair amount. 2. My point is that essentially everyone questions their faith at some point in their lives.

[QUOTE="CptJSparrow"]You're right OP, people are mindless sheep who don't question their beliefs and faith :roll:Jolt_counter119

I believe that everyone has a time in their life where they question their faith. Like you said they are heavily influenced by upbringing but ultimately they make the choice.

I think it is greatly misleading to suggest that an adult's choice of religion is a completely free and independent decision making process that is purely based on reason. If that were the case, than the proportion of people believing a particular doctrine would be homogenously spread throughout the globe. This is clearly not the case; if you are born in India, you will most likely become a Hindu, if you were born in Saudi Arabia, you will most likely be a Muslim etc.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]yea its technically people's choice, but its not like 20 years of parents brainwashing their children doesn't factor into their calculus later on. It's a choice for some people. for most it isn't SNIPER4321
so basically u think parents are evil and media is honest. WOW this generation now.. dont even respect parents..

Does it tire you mentally to try and stay in character every day when you post on OT or is that part of the fun?
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#49 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

[QUOTE="cptJSparrow"] I believe that everyone has a time in their life where they question their faith. Like you said they are heavily influenced by upbringing but ultimately they make the choice.Jolt_counter119

Possibly, however that gives me the impression that they question "their" faith. ie: the faith they were raised on. Usually the choice is between their own faith or atheism, not their faith and another faith. My stance still remains that the large majority of religous people did not choose their own religion.

A large majority of people doesn't even have a choice on the matter, especially if it's a Muslim from Saudi Arabia. Jews would disown their kids if they became Christians, but from first hand experience, Christian parents today have an understanding that despite how they raise their kids, ultimately, it is up to the child to decide if they want to follow Christ in their walk. Christian parents can encourage and tell stories, but ultimately, it is in God's hands.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

It's true. Religion is like Santa clause without an authoritative figure there to tell them it's not real.