China gymnastic team slowly getting owned.(China also)

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NetYankEagle
Member since 2007 • 11090 Posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/gymnastics/news/story?id=3550793

China official ties confusion about gymnast's age to bad paperwork

BEIJING -- China's deputy sports minister has attributed the confusion about the age of one of its gold medalist gymnasts to a paperwork mistake during a team transfer.

At last year's China's Cities Games, Chinese officials decided to move He Kexin, who won two gold medals during the Beijing Games, from a local team to the national team. China's deputy sports minister Cui Dalin said Sunday that it was during this transfer that a "misunderstanding appeared" about her age.

"Last year at the all-city competition, He Kexin moved from one team to another and during the process of registering during the move, there appeared this age discrepancy," Cui said during a news conference.

"So it was the appearance of a mistake in the process of transferring teams that the misunderstanding appeared. However, I can right here accurately say that the ages of the members of our gymnastics delegation entirely conform to the requirements for participation in the Beijing Olympic Games."

It was at last year's China's Cities Games that the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, identified He as one of "10 big new stars" who made a splash at the event and gave her age as 13 in a Nov. 3, 2007 report.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
lets cut them down and count the rings...
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

Stop the whining, they'll still finish top of the Gold Medal count even if the medals were stripped off them.

But I suppose justice must be done.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
Stop the whining, they'll still finish top of the Gold Medal count even if the medals were stripped off them.Hoobinator
I complain because I want the competition to be fair, not because of some "medal race".
Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
lets cut them down and count the rings...Ninja_Dog
Only way to settle this.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NetYankEagle

Stop the whining, they'll still finish top of the Gold Medal count even if the medals were stripped off them.

Hoobinator
um if people were whinign because of the gold medal race it would make sense:| China cheated and they are the hosting country of the olympics it is a big deal. Anyways we have them in the total medals count anyways
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Strip the medals from those damn cheaters, it's stuff like this that ruins the olympics
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts
[QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

NetYankEagle

um if people were whinign because of the gold medal race it would make sense:| China cheated and they are the hosting country of the olympics it is a big deal. Anyways we have them in the total medals count anyways

Yeah congrats in being second or third more times than China. Anyway, every country has cheaters.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackngold29
it's stuff like this that ruins the olympicsToriko42
Uh, that's why they take the medals away...
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blackngold29
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

Ilived

Yeah congrats in being second or third more times than China. Anyway, every country has cheaters.

Prove it. I suppose Bhutan had a cheater?

EDIT: And if second and third finishes don't matter, why do they get medals? How many second place finishers did you have?

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ilived
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

blackngold29

EDIT: And if second and third finishes don't matter, why do they get medals? How many second place finishers did you have?

America: We are going for gold because we are superior! America: Well actually bronze and silver matters to me and counts suddenly! Maybe Bhutan didn't, but the US sure had plenty.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58463 Posts

Not to bash on China or anything, but does it seem like the winning of gold medals is more like a business to them? I mean, the point of the Olympics is competition; its about doing your best, and being happy or unhappy with the results. I know thats kind of a weak argument but I think you can see the distinction.

I know a couple people that went to China and taught school there. They say the Chinese people are great, lovely people but they are very different. Like one day they did arts and crafts and were making these bracelets, but they didnt know what to do. So the teacher gave them an example, and the Chinese kids proceeded to make bracelets as quickly as they can that were identical to the teacher's. And she clearly said for them to be creative.

I mean, its like China in the Olympics is going for the gold because they were told to. Other nations do it because they want it, or because they enjoy the competition, and winning the gold is a really really nice perk.

I mean, should we really be supporting the government adoption and near-kidnapping of young children from their families so they can be trained rigeriously to compete in a competition? Its almost inhuman.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blackngold29
America: We are going for gold because we are superior! America: Well actually bronze and silver matters to me and counts suddenly! Maybe Bhutan didn't, but the US sure had plenty. Ilived
China was expected to win the gold medal race weeks before this started. And where's your proof the US cheated? It takes long years of practice to get a medal of any kind. I for one am proud of every person who represented my country.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

Ilived

yea too bad we didnt take our athletes away from there families at age 3
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

Ilived

America: We are going for gold because we are superior! America: Well actually bronze and silver matters to me and counts suddenly! Maybe Bhutan didn't, but the US sure had plenty.

your saying the US cheated:|
tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tarunramesh
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts

omg now first im not chinese and i dont support any team, but what i do know is

1. if america won the gymnastics then no one would have made a deal about this.

2. if she can do it younger than its just better i know people say well she is more felxible etc etc, but a older person is wiser, has more experience and is more calm. I would be more proud to see a younger person do soething amazing than a older person. The olympics should be something for people of all ages

3. sure they made a mistake and broke the rules but even still i beleive the medal shouldnt be stripped of He beucase she did an outstanding job for her age.

that is all

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NetYankEagle

2. if she can do it younger than its just better i know people say well she is more felxible etc etc, but a older person is wiser, has more experience and is more calm. I would be more proud to see a younger person do soething amazing than a older person. The olympics should be something for people of all ages

3. sure they made a mistake and broke the rules but even still i beleive the medal shouldnt be stripped of He beucase she did an outstanding job for her age.

that is all

tarunramesh
oh how many times does the age factor make a difference gymnastics have to be explained
tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tarunramesh

Not to bash on China or anything, but does it seem like the winning of gold medals is more like a business to them? I mean, the point of the Olympics is competition; its about doing your best, and being happy or unhappy with the results. I know thats kind of a weak argument but I think you can see the distinction.

I know a couple people that went to China and taught school there. They say the Chinese people are great, lovely people but they are very different. Like one day they did arts and crafts and were making these bracelets, but they didnt know what to do. So the teacher gave them an example, and the Chinese kids proceeded to make bracelets as quickly as they can that were identical to the teacher's. And she clearly said for them to be creative.

I mean, its like China in the Olympics is going for the gold because they were told to. Other nations do it because they want it, or because they enjoy the competition, and winning the gold is a really really nice perk.

I mean, should we really be supporting the government adoption and near-kidnapping of young children from their families so they can be trained rigeriously to compete in a competition? Its almost inhuman.

mrbojangles25

agree with you completely but if it is about doing your best than is there something wrong with a 14 year old doing her best, as i stated before they should make it as of now that any age person can join. If a 5 year old has achieved what a 20 year old is capable of than im happy to know that there is a 5 year old who works so hard.

But i agree it should be the choice of a person, it shouldnt be something forced upon a person. People should be able to choose their own life and not some retarted goverment choosing it

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I dont wanna say anything bad here, but the women's gymnastics regarding China vs the US was, at the very least, suspicious. One Chinese gymnast fell off the balance beam and still managed to receive a 15.3, while another girl on the beam (non US), did a pretty error free routine and only received a 14.8. I also didnt like the whole tiebreaker thing with Nastia and the Chinese girl.
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ilived
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

NetYankEagle

They have multiple times before. We don't know if they did in any of the events for this olympics, we might find out later on like the other time. It's not like the chinese gymnasts used steroids or something. I don't know it's that much of an advantage in being 1 or 2 years younger. Besides, I'd be more worried about how obviously biased the judges were towards China in a lot of the events(including the womens gymnastics).

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ilived

I dont wanna say anything bad here, but the women's gymnastics regarding China vs the US was, at the very least, suspicious. One Chinese gymnast fell off the balance beam and still managed to receive a 15.3, while another girl on the beam (non US), did a pretty error free routine and only received a 14.8. I also didnt like the whole tiebreaker thing with Nastia and the Chinese girl.Allicrombie

The tiebreaker has always been there, so if you think China suddenly changed the rules then you are paranoid. I agree the judges were a little too soft on the Chinese, but one would also think that they actually did a more unique and difficult routine everytime.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

tarunramesh

agree with you completely but if it is about doing your best than is there something wrong with a 14 year old doing her best, as i stated before they should make it as of now that any age person can join. If a 5 year old has achieved what a 20 year old is capable of than im happy to know that there is a 5 year old who works so hard.

But i agree it should be the choice of a person, it shouldnt be something forced upon a person. People should be able to choose their own life and not some retarted goverment choosing it

so then you must be happy that china took these girls away at the age of 3 from there families just to train them to be the best. These girls get to only see there families like once a year.
tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tarunramesh
[QUOTE="tarunramesh"]

that is all

NetYankEagle

oh how many times does the age factor make a difference gymnastics have to be explained

yes i am well aware of it, i myself do alot of martial arts and i can understand how felxibility and other things work expically with the different age groups. But seriously it doenst matter beucase a older person has something a yonger person doesnt have and a younger has something an older person doesnt have , in the end what does it matter

SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SAURON221
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

tarunramesh

That's not the point at all. You can argue about how the rule should be changed all you want but the fact stands they broke the present rule. Breaking the rule is cheating, and they should be stripped of there medals.

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ilived
[QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

NetYankEagle

so then you must be happy that china took these girls away at the age of 3 from there families just to train them to be the best. These girls get to only see there families like once a year.

Pure speculation and a hint of western/American media BS. The Chinese gov didn't take children away from their family, perhaps the family allowed it and wanted what's best for them. They are very much happy and with their families. Your story seems a little cliche and might make a great movie someday.

tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tarunramesh

NetYankEagle

dude read my post, i clearly said that people should be able to choose their own lives, if they want to be the best gymnast then it should be thier choice and no one elses. I agree the goverment did something wrong and i am not supporting it, learn to read

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

Ilived

They have multiple times before. We don't know if they did in any of the events for this olympics, we might find out later on like the other time. It's not like the chinese gymnasts used steroids or something. I don't know it's that much of an advantage in being 1 or 2 years younger. Besides, I'd be more worried about how obviously biased the judges were towards China in a lot of the events(including the womens gymnastics).

I bet the usa basketball team cheated i mean they made so many shots:o and Michael Phelps is surly a robot. and for the 1097989th time AGE DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN GYMNASTICS
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58463 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

tarunramesh

Well, for starters, there are the rules. Now I dont know why they exist, but they do, and the majority (if not all, in a good competition) obey the rules. Its simple: obey the rules, or get disqualified/lose your medal.

As for the 14, I agree...if a 14 year old willingly smuggled herself into the competition and won gold, I would feel good for her. But she broke the rules, so see above.

As for the Chinese girl, I dont think she did it willingly. I am not saying she was held at gunpoint, but it is what she has been doing her whole life, as mandated by the government. She did her best because she felt thats what she should do, she did not do her best because it what she wanted to do, imo.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Oh, I know the whole tiebreaker rules were in place for just such an occasion, just saying it didnt seem like they judged China the same as they judged the other countries.
tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tarunramesh

SAURON221

That's not the point at all. You can argue about how the rule should be changed all you want but the fact stands they broke the present rule. Breaking the rule is cheating, and they should be stripped of there medals.

i can get where your coming from but seeriously i beleive that He has trained hard and deserves the medal she earned. Persnally if u ask me both i think for this one time they should make an exeception and alow 2 gold medals to be won for this event

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

tarunramesh

dude read my post, i clearly said that people should be able to choose their own lives, if they want to be the best gymnast then it should be thier choice and no one elses. I agree the goverment did something wrong and i am not supporting it, learn to read

you aren't makinf any sense. It wasnt the gymnasts choice they had no choice they were 3 years old what choice do they have at that age:| but please continue to make sense
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="SAURON221"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

tarunramesh

i can get where your coming from but seeriously i beleive that He has trained hard and deserves the medal she earned. Persnally if u ask me both i think for this one time they should make an exeception and alow 2 gold medals to be won for this event

so by your logic since Barry Bonds and Mark Mguire trained hard they diserve to be Hall of famers...
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Saying that "every country has cheaters" to justify people cheating as being alright is just asinine. The fact of the matter is that if they weren't actually of age to compete, they do not deserve the medals that they one. It's rule for a reason and if you don't know the reason, which i'm guessing you don't, then go look it up.
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ilived
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"]

NetYankEagle

I bet the usa basketball team cheated i mean they made so many shots:o and Michael Phelps is surly a robot. and for the 1097989th time AGE DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN GYMNASTICS

Now you're just being a clueless little kid. What, this was your first every olympics that you actually payed attention to(I bet it is)? Well there have been other summer olympics too you know and certain athletes who got their medals stripped later on(1-3 years later) and now they cry over it. Being 16 might be a difference than being 14 in gymnastics but they both have their advantages and disadvantages to even it out. Anyway, I guess it's the rules just like how the tiebreaker was so we should just shutup and hope that they actually start changing some rules in some events because some of them are quite ridiculous.

SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SAURON221
[QUOTE="SAURON221"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

tarunramesh

I don't care how hard she trained the rules were broken thus medal should be stripped.

grizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 grizza
Member since 2003 • 1491 Posts

Both the Chinese and American teams did well. Yes, the Chinese gymnast look young, but so do a lot of 16 year old gymnasts. If China put under age gymnasts in, then yes the medals that involved thoses gymnasts (team gold and uneven parallel bars) should be taken away.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
Well done to China for being the best Olympic country in the world. You have done Earth proud and as Earthians we are happy at your success.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Ilived

Pure speculation and a hint of western/American media BS. The Chinese gov didn't take children away from their family, perhaps the family allowed it and wanted what's best for them. They are very much happy and with their families. Your story seems a little cliche and might make a great movie someday.

:lol: yea maybe in a disney movie...
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ilived
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

NetYankEagle

Well see you don't know anything about the situation, but please continue to talk out of your ass.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NetYankEagle

Both the Chinese and American teams did well. Yes, the Chinese gymnast look young, but so do a lot of 16 year old gymnasts. If China put under age gymnasts in, then yes the medals that involved thoses gymnasts (team gold and uneven parallel bars) should be taken away.

grizza
if you compare the chinese gymnastics team to a high school sophmore you would think the chinese team is on a elmentary school field trip
tarunramesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tarunramesh
[QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

NetYankEagle

you aren't makinf any sense. It wasnt the gymnasts choice they had no choice they were 3 years old what choice do they have at that age:| but please continue to make sense

lol dude thats my point im saying that it shouuld have been the gymnast choice lol, sorry if i worded it wrongly i tend to have a porblem with expressing my viewpoint but haha ya i meant it should be the gymnasts choice and not the goversmnts

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Ilived

Well see you don't know anything about the situation, but please continue to talk out of your ass.

and apparently you know more then the IOC and i guess the world you should be named a god
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

[QUOTE="Hoobinator"]Stop the whining, they'll still finish top of the Gold Medal count even if the medals were stripped off them.blackngold29
I complain because I want the competition to be fair, not because of some "medal race".

TRUE!!

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

tarunramesh

lol dude thats my point im saying that it shouuld have been the gymnast choice lol, sorry if i worded it wrongly i tend to have a porblem with expressing my viewpoint but haha ya i meant it should be the gymnasts choice and not the goversmnts

no problems
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ilived
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

NetYankEagle

and apparently you know more then the IOC and i guess the world you should be named a god

OMG IOC? The same people who announced that there was no proof of the Chinese being underaged? Like this would have been an issue if the US won the gold right?

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Ilived

OMG IOC? The same people who announced that there was no proof of the Chinese being underaged? Like this would have been an issue if the US won the gold right?

It would still be an issue because there underaged:| Your hate on america is clear at point,Ignorance is great
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ilived
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

NetYankEagle

It would still be an issue because there underaged:| Your hate on america is clear at point,Ignorance is great

You lack of knowledge of how things work outside the US is obvious.

SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SAURON221
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Ilived

If the U.S. gymnasts were underaged there would be a far bigger out cry. If the girls are underaged they should be stripped of there medals as simple that.

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ilived
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="tarunramesh"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

SAURON221

If the U.S. gymnasts were underaged there would be a far bigger out cry. If the girls are underaged they should be stripped of there medals as simple as that.

No it wouldn't, there would be just as much attention by the Chinese. Though who the hell is arguing against them getting stripped? It's just the fact that it's being treated as if the girls had taken drugs or something that is getting annoying.

SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SAURON221

mrbojangles25

No it wouldn't, there would be just as much attention by the Chinese. Though who the hell is arguing against them getting stripped? It's just the fact that it's being treated as if the girls had taken drugs or something that is getting annoying.

No it's being treated like people cheating in the largest Athletic games in the world, which it should be