Cars, more deadly than previously thought!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Research Suggests A New Way Cars Are Killing You Is With Noise: Report

We’ve heard about the risks of cars. They pollute the air and can crash into each other, which is dangerous and obviously unhealthy. New research shows cars may be killing us by making too much noise, too.

The research comes from the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and claims that noise disturbances from cars, like exhaust, horns and sirens, could pose serious health risks for people, via The Washington Post:

The authors, who examined research on noise pollution and heart disease, say that loud sounds not only disrupt sleep, which can lead to health problems, but can also ignite the stress response, releasing a rush of hormones that, over time, can damage the heart.

“Ten years ago, people were saying that noise is just annoying, but now I think there’s considerable evidence that noise makes you sick, and one of the predominate diseases is cardiovascular disease,” lead author Thomas Münzel said Tuesday in a phone interview with The Washington Post.

While the noise disturbances are not a direct cause of heart disease, the research suggests noise pollution should be categorized as a risk factor, like high cholesterol and obesity.

Source.

Ban cars!

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

You know, I’m really not surprised by this finding. Kudos to you for the article.

Cars have this humming noise coming from the engine too. It all adds up if you think about it. There are cars everywhere these days, and they contribute to all sorts of problems if one really thinks about it.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Silver lining: At least all those douchers with super loud and annoying exhaust systems will hopefully die out soon.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

My car doesn't make any noise. It's pretty funny when people jump in parking lots because I snuck right up behind them without them noticing.

-Byshop

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

@Byshop: A tesla?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

@loco145 said:

@Byshop: A tesla?

Yeah, but true of any electric car. At least until 2019, when the law changes so all electric vehicles in the US will have to make some sort of noise at lower than 18MPH.

-Byshop

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

That's why I always wear a headset as an earbud on my daily commute. It lowers the city noise but doesn't completely blocks the sounds around me.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

@bush_dog said:

That's why I always wear a headset as an earbud on my daily commute. It lowers the city noise but doesn't completely blocks the sounds around me.

That would interfere with my total situational awareness.

Loading Video...

-Byshop

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#9 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I don't know... I'm a heavy sleeper. I just need about 30 minutes until I go under and it takes nothing short of a 10.0 earthquake to wake me up. But, I've always thought city noise to be kinda peaceful, like babbling brooks.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

A better solution than banning cars... Don't live in crowded areas. Population density is the enemy. It's a hassle to do everything which causes stress, the noise, the crime, the pollution, the higher cost of living. It's not worth it.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

@Byshop said:
@bush_dog said:

That would interfere with my total situational awareness.

-Byshop

Never saw how having earbuds in while driving was a good idea. Surprised it's legal.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I don't mind hearing cars when I am outside of them, but I honestly don't like the sound of a car when you are inside.

It's like, the opposite of eating chips (or crisps, to you brits :D) or something crunchy: when you're munching on them, you can't hear a thing, but it's inside your head so it's ok. But when I have to listen to other people munch on crunchy stuff, it's annoying as hell.

It's the exact opposite with cars. I might even enjoy listening to some cars drive by. Vroom vroom! But when I'm inside and they muffle the exterior noise but you can still hear the endless sound of the tires humming over asphalt, it drives me insane.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Randoggy: It's not legal.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Ironically a car without sound is far more deadly

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

My diesel work truck has a straight 4" pipe. It sounds pretty good, but I'd have a hard time doing any kind of stealth heist with it. ;) My sister in law, who is originally from Germany, hates it so much. I didn't install it...I bought it that way, but for a giant truck it gets great mileage...though I know I'm dumping all sorts of crazy crap into the air. In some states you can't have it in that configuration (California).

I'd love a Tesla...maybe I'll pick up a used Model 3 in a couple years.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

when i first moved to boston for school my dorm room was basically right next to a major roadway w/ cars driving by at highway speeds. took me a few weeks to get used to trying to sleep w/ the noise and it was stressful.

by the end of the year it was hard to sleep w/o the noise. i found it helped relax me

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#17 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

It's true. Before the invention of cars, people lived longer healthier lives.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Driving is one responsibility I have no problem with robots taking over. Humans are s*** drivers.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

My car's 1100 watt JL Audio stereo system drowns out every single one of those noises that the article mentions....So guess it doesn't effect me.

@theone86 said:

Driving is one responsibility I have no problem with robots taking over. Humans are s*** drivers.

I like driving, I find it relaxing.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@todddow: Tradeoffs. You can live in the suburbs but a heavy traffic commute 5 days a week is bound to add stress to your life and sap hours of free time. I’ve lived in rural areas growing up, the suburbs, and the city. I wouldn’t trade city life for anything. Yeah, it costs more but everything is a 5-10 minute Uber away, night life is better, women are younger and prettier, and the commute is nonexistent.

Rural living meant being surrounded by fat ignorant Walmart hillbillies and old people which just sucks the life out of me.