Can you ever be too old for Lego models?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nega3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nega3
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

I am turning 16 in December and I still love collecting toys and building some. They were one of the main highlights of my childhood. I kind of grew out of the culture when I turned 11. Over 2 years later at Christmas 2008 I started collecting figures of anime/anime inspired game characters.

Just recently I had to stop and cancel my 3 pre-orders I had on because I didn't have much money and I now want to collect another toy line. I've been thinking along the lines of Lego Hero Factory (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Hero_Factory), the follow-up to the recently finished Bionicle line. I think Hero Factory looks excellent and I plan to collect the line when it starts in August.

One thing though, I feel too old for HF and other Lego lines. Do you think it's alright for me to collect them at 15 and a half? My parents say I'm too old and I need to find another hobby but I still want to hold on to my toy collection.

tl;dr - I want to collect Lego figures but I want to know if it's OK for me at 15.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Can't help you, all I ever played with were microscopes, telescopes, computers and those electronic sets where you could like build your own lie detector or make a crystal radio and such. Legos were too limiting for me.

I should also add we didn't have electic or motor-driven legos when I was growing up (1980's), we just had the basic five or six types of blocks that came in a bucket.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
If you're 16 and collect lego, it should be oldschool star wars lego. Fact.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
Fact: You're never too old for lego. =3
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts

Can't help you, all I ever played with were microscopes, telescopes, computers and those electronic sets where you could like build your own lie detector or make a crystal radio and such. Legos were too limiting for me.

I should also add we didn't have electic or motor-driven legos when I was growing up (1980's), we just had the basic five or six types of blocks that came in a bucket.

br0kenrabbit

how on earth are Legos limiting? They not only allow you to express your creativity, but indulge in it by giving you a product created by yourself to play with.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Too old for Lego?! I'd hate to live in a world where that was possible :(

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deihjan
Fact: You're never too old for lego. =3BiancaDK
Especially not as a Dane :3
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts
Lego is the best. I don't think you can be too old for lego.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am pretty sure that is impossible.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

"Can you eber be too old for Lego models?" I guess not, because apparently people can never be too old for video games.

Remeber Zak? That boy was a Lego maniac. I think he murdered some people during a day of intense lego mania.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

mrbojangles25

how on earth are Legos limiting? They not only allow you to express your creativity, but indulge in it by giving you a product created by yourself to play with.

Because back in the day, legos didn't have programmable motors or anything. They were just like any other building block: you built something and looked at it, because it did nothing. That's what I hated about toys as a child. I'd watch the Transformers cartoon (the original) and I asked for a Transformer, probably the only toy I ever asked for. When I got it I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I have a robot...I can make him bounce around and pretend he's saying something, but he's not. I can transform it into a truck. I can act like it's moving around and making noises but it's not.

I prefered to play with things that did things, like computer games or electronic sets that I could make different WORKING things out of. I understand legos are very different today than they were back then, but back then they weren't anything special....just chunks of plastic that you stick together.

Hell, by the age of 10 I was writing programs on the C64, stuff like musical keyboards (with graphics), roman numeral converters, hell I even tried making some basic games (with varying degress of success). Legos sucked.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]Fact: You're never too old for lego. =3Deihjan
Especially not as a Dane :3

Especially not as a Dane indeed. =3

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

Because back in the day, legos didn't have programmable motors or anything. They were just like any other building block: you built something and looked at it, because it did nothing. That's what I hated about toys as a child. I'd watch the Transformers cartoon (the original) and I asked for a Transformer, probably the only toy I ever asked for. When I got it I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I have a robot...I can make him bounce around and pretend he's saying something, but he's not. I can transform it into a truck. I can act like it's moving around and making noises but it's not.

I prefered to play with things that did things, like computer games or electronic sets that I could make different WORKING things out of. I understand legos are very different today than they were back then, but back then they weren't anything special....just chunks of plastic that you stick together.

Hell, by the age of 10 I was writing programs on the C64, stuff like musical keyboards (with graphics), roman numeral converters, hell I even tried making some basic games (with varying degress of success). Legos sucked.

hmmm when I built something with legos, I would play with them.

I'd build jet fighters and bombers, then build an army (I think we were in the Gulf War I at the time), and would blow the hell out of Saddam! Then I'd build a fortress and weather an attack! KaBOOOOOM! Crash! BOOM! SHAZAM!

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

Well Legos today are quite differant.

Like the mindstorms sets that you can make some realy crazy stuff out of. (like a printer, and even bipedal robots (sort of :D))

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
No way, lego will always be cool 8)
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

chaplainDMK

Well Legos today are quite differant.

Like the mindstorms sets that you can make some realy crazy stuff out of. (like a printer, and even bipedal robots (sort of :D))

I remember when Legos were so primitive all you got was a few different blocks. There were no doors, windows, shutters nor the thousands of custom pieces they have now. All you could make was some thing that vaguely looked like whatever it was supposed to be.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Your never to old for lego, never!

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
I spent my last summer rebuilding my childhood lego collection; so no, you can you never be too old for Lego :P.
_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _rock_
Member since 2007 • 7071 Posts
I have a 17 year old friend who still plays with lego......
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
I have a 17 year old friend who still plays with lego......_rock_
I have a 53 year old friend who plays with legos: my dad. From my point of view, you're never too old to play with something that requires creativity. Remember the pirate and native sets? those were my favorite. The medieval setting was a blast too. Ahh man, I need to go buy some legos now. *Paper Towel *shampoo *legos Check
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

As you get older, you'll find you have more disposable income. More disposable income means more Legos.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

You're never too old for Lego, it's something for all ages.

The great thing about Lego, and Transformers at that, was that while they didn't do much compared to computers and other eletronic devices, what they did do was encourage the imagination to develop.
Lego could become whole worlds, Transformers could become fully developed characters. The only limit was the imagination.

Vastly enjoyed Lego, Transformers and other toys when I was a kid a lot more than eletronic devices, loved using my imagination.

S1MSTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 108

#23 S1MSTA
Member since 2008 • 1624 Posts

Get the lego. I havent seen ur link but lego's brilliant.

carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

You're never too old for Lego, it's something for all ages.

The great thing about Lego, and Transformers at that, was that while they didn't do much compared to computers and other eletronic devices, what they did do was encourage the imagination to develop.
Lego could become whole worlds, Transformers could become fully developed characters. The only limit was the imagination.

Vastly enjoyed Lego, Transformers and other toys when I was a kid a lot more than eletronic devices, loved using my imagination.

Smokescreened84

Yeah excactly I still love building things with lego, imagination involved with playing Lego was the most fun ever, sadly my lego was sold by my parents :P

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
You cannot be too old.
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

What hobby do your parents suggest? I think Legos are fine. I haven't played with them since I was little but I want to get some of the Harry Potter sets whenever those come out. And I'm a bit older than 16. Legos keep you at home and presumably out of trouble, I'd probably be somewhat relieved if that was my kid's hobby.

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

Just look on the box. It tells you the age restrictions. I think they usually say "4 years & up". So, as long as you're not older than "up", you're fine.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I am never going to get tired of creating Lego Models. I'm almost 25 btw.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Deihjan
I am never going to get tired of creating Lego Models. I'm almost 25 btw.Yagr_Zero
What kind of Lego? :P
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
definitely not. on a related note, my sister had a somewhat old lego batman set laying around(perfect condition) and ended up giving it as a gift to her husband's nephew or something. she ended up finding out that its going for upwards of $300 on ebay :?
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

No. Which is why when I came home from college for break and found out my mom had given my Legos away I was heartbroken. :(

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Deihjan

No. Which is why when I came home from college for break and found out my mom had given my Legos away I was heartbroken. :(

metroidfood
D: How could she do that?! I remember when my brother chugged out his legos when he was 13... I was all wtf.
meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts

I'm 30 and i feel like buying Legos now that i've read this thread. I've bought Lego sets up to my mid-20s. Building stuff is just too much fun. I've still got all my Legos from a kid onward, stashed away somewhere in the mountains of totes in my garage. My wife is less than pleased, as you could imagine.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
i hope not
Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
do whatever you enjoy
LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

If you're too old for Legos, you are probably dead.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

If you enjoy it then go for it..

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IronBeaver
Member since 2009 • 1986 Posts

tell your parents that at this age the only other choice for a hobby is hardcore drugs.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Nope. :P

I remember me and my bro constantly trying to collect all the Bionicle sets that were released.

Then my neighbor came and destroyed every single one of them. :x

Now I feel like playing with legos. lol

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Heck no! I actually stopped at a fairly well-renowned lego store (well, by Canada's standards) recently the last time I was out of town and loved tinkering with the Legos they had available to the common public.