buying a used car with a suspiciously low price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

So I finally saved up enough money for a used car and I found a used Acura RSX 2002 for around $3200. Now from the photos I've seen from the car, it looks to be in great condition even the motor (I have not seen it in person yet, we are meeting tomorrow.) but the price is suspiciously low.

Ofcourse im taking a mechanic tomorrow but have you ever bought a nice used car for really cheap? 

and even if it has damage the money i will save by buying a cheaper car i could invest into this one, would it be worth it?

this is the actual image of the car.

5240a5243f0fd.jpg

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

I've only bought new cars....would be wary of buying from a private individual though.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
The car sure looks nice. Do you know the miles on the car? It could be the owner just really has to sell so it's going cheap, or it was acquired through non-legal means and he's trying to sell you a stolen vehicle. Make sure he has the title with him and ready to go and check his name with the name on the title.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
The car sure looks nice. Do you know the miles on the car? It could be the owner just really has to sell so it's going cheap, or it was acquired through non-legal means and he's trying to sell you a stolen vehicle. Make sure he has the title with him and ready to go and check his name with the name on the title. ferrari2001
No i don't know it, I'll be checking that tomorrow. He did tell me there is a little damage to the front bumper so maybe that's why, but i can't see it in the picture it shouldn't be too big. I don't know if i'm paranoid or what i keep thinking there is something wrong with it for it to be that low.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

He might try to sell you a stolen car, if I were you I would hire someone with knowledge about these things to check it out with you, just to make sure it's legit and there's nothing wrong with the car itself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]The car sure looks nice. Do you know the miles on the car? It could be the owner just really has to sell so it's going cheap, or it was acquired through non-legal means and he's trying to sell you a stolen vehicle. Make sure he has the title with him and ready to go and check his name with the name on the title. zahyr
No i don't know it, I'll be checking that tomorrow. He did tell me there is a little damage to the front bumper so maybe that's why, but i can't see it in the picture it shouldn't be too big. I don't know if i'm paranoid or what i keep thinking there is something wrong with it for it to be that low.

Damage to the front of the car can mean damage under the hood.
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Owner may just have gotten desperate to sell it, it happens. Regardless, have the title checked and the mechanic check it out, as you said. But I wouldn't be too concerned. I've bought used cars for low prices before and have not had any issues.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
My advice is that your mechanic be very good, make sure the check up is as thorough as possible.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I've only bought new cars....would be wary of buying from a private individual though.

LJS9502_basic
I got lucky with my used car purchase, I've put 80,000 miles on it since I've had it (got it at 60,000). I've never had to take it in to a shop once, all I've had to do is basic tune ups and simple maintanence. Not bad for a Ford Taurus! To add for the sake of fairness. I have a friend who bought a car used that blew its head gasket less than a week after he bought it, so it's mostly luck of the draw.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Definitely have it checked thoroughly - especially the engine. Those rims are a huge indication that the previous owner probably did a bunch of silly modifications, likely without proper thought to the consequences.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

That's a great choice in a used car.  I would say it's an okay price, and I'd rather buy from private individuals than from dealers.  Part of the joy of buying a used sports car is that you're gonna have to take risks.  Comes with being a car enthusiast. 

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

I bet he got in an accident and bent the frame. Make sure the title is clean and not a "salvage" title.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

that looks like a car some guy has been ragging the hell out of.

just be sure to get it checked out by a mechanic that will go over every inch of it.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Even though everyone says to get a mechanic, don't waste the money or time.  You won't know whats wrong with the car anyway until after a few thousand miles.

I've bought a 3000Gt, Mustang GT, and (2004) Audi S4 used.  I had the most problems with the Audi, but I still love it.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I would always check for a car fax before, or if that isn't an option take it to a trusted mechanic to look it over. If its far below the Kelly Blue Book listing price I would def get it checked.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts
buying from an individual has the potential to be lower, I mean car dealerships would probably give him less anyways
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I paid $8000 for my car, it was still on the market for $10-11k at that time and goes still for 9k. Look for reasons. Person has died, in serious debt and need quick cash, moving out of the country or moving to a retirement home, having a baby and need to sell to buy a family-friendly car, need money for college etc. But always remember, if you put more money into your car than the car is worth, you are a douchebag.
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

It's probably stolen or suffers a bent frame.

I wouldn't buy a used car myself. You just don't know the history of the car and how well it's been looked after.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

don't over analyze it. IMO if there was anything too wrong with the car he would act smarter than that.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deeliman
[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

It's probably stolen or suffers a bent frame.

I wouldn't buy a used car myself. You just don't know the history of the car and how well it's been looked after.

thegerg
"It's probably stolen or suffers a bent frame." What makes y'all think you know so much about a car you've never even taken a look at?

If a car is offered for a far lower price than the average, it it so strange to suspect that something's fishy about it?
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deeliman
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="thegerg"] "It's probably stolen or suffers a bent frame." What makes y'all think you know so much about a car you've never even taken a look at?

If a car is offered for a far lower price than the average, it it so strange to suspect that something's fishy about it?

No, but why jump straight to those 2 specific issues? It's just silly to jump to conclusions about what (if anything) is wrong with the car based on the very limited info we have. Anyway, we need some more info (like more about the condition of the car, where he lives, mileage, etc) before we can even make a judgement about what is average price of this car.

No one is saying that the car is definitely stolen/not working, they're simply saying that there's a possibility that somethings not right here and that the tc need to be careful of how he goes about this.
Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts
The car could be hot
GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts
The car could be hotNetret0120
probably not stolen but I wouldn't be surprised if its a flood car. A lot of the cars trashed by Sandy (the hurricane) have been cleaned up and made their way all over the country and most of them have really REALLY low prices on them. good thing that you are getting it checked out. Find out if it was ever registered to someone on the east coast~
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Did anyone mentioned a recovered or Salvaged title? Ask about that, car has probably been in a wreck.

Protip- get a Mazdaspeed 3, I got a used 07 this year and its the most fun I've had in a car ever, I look forward to driving it everyday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
I'm from an Island in the Caribbean and we don't have Carfax or any kind of document of what the car has gone through, which sucks since pretty much makes every used car a big risk. The owner looks to be very honest he told me he had a small crash and the front bumper is broken but he says the frame and everything else is intact. The engine runs good but the transmission broke last year so he had to replace that. So the only real problem i can see is maybe the frame might be damaged from the impact.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

You also have to remember, TC, that the car is 11-12 years old and Acura hasn't made the RSX in years. Maybe do a check on KBB to get a general ballpark idea of what the car should be going for. Also, what is the mileage on it?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Don't even make an offer until you've had the thing completely checked out by a ceritified mechanic. Used cars with suspiciously low prices are ALWAYS hiding some serious issues. Always.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#37 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

The first thing I noticed about the car is that it sits really low to the ground....so it has been lowered. That is probably one reason the price is so low.

1. It may look cool but have fun watching for bumps and curbs to not run over so you don't damage your frame.

2. Its an acura, it should drive smooth and nice like a luxury car....nope! It's been lowered say goodbye to a stable ride.

3. probably has some engine mods, probably is loud.

A friend of mine bought a car very similar (A BMW) and faced all 3 of those problems. Modified cars are a tough sell, that's why the price is low.

iskeethunters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iskeethunters
Member since 2011 • 925 Posts
A lot of my friends got suspiciously cheap cars after high-school. Now when we hang out they talk a lot about what they have to change and stuff. I'd say they all got bad deals.They all took them to trusted garages for inspection and didn't find anything there. But later... I wouldn't buy a second-hand car, especially if it's modded or suspiciously cheap. And this appears to be both.
Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

It's crazy how in America you would struggle to find a second-hand car for under $1000 where in the UK you can buy cars for as low as £200 although they are usually very small hatchback cars that are over 15 years old. I know someone that bought a car for £10 of eBay but I don't know how functional/safe the car was. Personally for a car less than £500 that wasn't very old and small I would perhaps be a little suspicious and would probably check with the DVLA and any other legal department to be on the safe side.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#42 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Those are usually filled with dead bodies or candy or dead bodies stuffed with candy.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
People saying they don't buy used cars... must like getting ripped off. anyways you didn't tell us the mileage so it might not ne that underpriced if it has a ton of miles on it. check for salvage/rebuilt title check for repainting that could be hiding more damage make sure there is no frame damage get a mechanic to look over it if possible test drive it obviously and test to see if it rides straight, that it gears up right etc...
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

If it is considerably lower priced than another vehicle of the same make, model, trim level, year, and mileage, then I would definitely have it checked out. In fact, have it checked out regardless if you are purchasing from a private seller.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

No honda that year with a K20 cost $3200. The engine alone is a good 3.5-4lk - it's broke. 

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I tend to only buy used cars from people I know, I do not trust used car lots.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
its from 2002, $3200 seems alright, not suspicious at all.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

As the old saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  I'd look around and see what others are charging for the same vehicle.