British man jailed for wearing offensive t-shirt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

While the shirt is pretty tasteless, there's absolutely no reason to arrest him for that. Leave prison for actual criminals who threaten society.

Jethawk11
Quoted for damn truth. American prisons are overcrowded because a large percentage of prisoners are in for drug offenses. Drug addicts should be rejuvenated, and only put in prison if they refuse to get help. Prisons should be primarily reserved for murderers, rapists, and robbers/burglars.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#52 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] I realize it's considered a punishable offense. I'm saying it shouldn't be. You seem to believe that the law of the government is always right because the government says so. Wearing a shirt with a disagreeable opinion written on it is not harassment because it can be easily ignored. If every person who ever did something that someone else found offensive was jailed, we would all be in jail.Laihendi
I'm sorry that we have standards in England and don't take kindly to offensive morons.

Your country is run by an oppressive authoritarian regime that arrests people for violating arbitrary standards of decency.

Cool. We're a decent people then. I guess you aren't decent?
Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

4 months for being a dick? Jesus.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

man kraychik would've gone giddy with glee with this thread

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

He's a moron but I don't think he should be jailed for it.

tryagainlater
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

Voltaire (I think): "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

UK: "I disapprove of what you say, therefor, jail"

Funny how times have "changed", eh?

The__Kraken
To be fair Voltaire was French and historically the two have been at odds.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#57 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Total freedom of speech violation there. However, Im not sure how the UK laws compare to USA. It might be offensive... but it's a shirt. Who cares. It's a shirt.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
He should have been jailed but not for the offensive message but for the lack of a comma in it.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SolidSnake35

Total freedom of speech violation there. However, Im not sure how the UK laws compare to USA. It might be offensive... but it's a shirt. Who cares. It's a shirt.

Shmiity
A shirt can be read by anyone of any age. On a similar note, in America, don't you censor butt cracks on TV?
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Probably would have wound up in jail for shoplifting anyway.

It is a reebok shirt

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#61 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

SolidSnake35

A shirt can be read by anyone of any age. On a similar note, in America, don't you censor butt cracks on TV?

What does that have to do with anything? It's a shirt. You should not be arrested for your thoughts. Also, are butts sensored on USA tv? Maybe, but... you also don't get arrested for it.

I hope this case blows up- I mean, sure, it was offensive, but its 2012... come on UK.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="Shmiity"]

Shmiity

What does that have to do with anything? It's a shirt. You should not be arrested for your thoughts. Also, are butts sensored on USA tv? Maybe, but... you also don't get arrested for it.

I hope this case blows up- I mean, sure, it was offensive, but its 2012... come on UK.

You should if your thoughts influence people. Do you want murderers sharing their thoughts on the best ways to kill people to your children? And of course you don't, but you probably get sued for showing some butt. Where's the freedom there?
The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

To be fair Voltaire was French and historically the two have been at odds.Ace6301

I was actually getting at the idea that times have not actually changed much at all. Voltaire was not particularly at peace with the establishment, and (if my memory is not mistaken) he was often not too far away from being arrested and imprisoned for his opinions and criticisms of government/religion. Even that famous quote was at odds with the traditional views held by the French government and the religious authority in France at the time. Voltaire was met with the whole "I disapprove of what you say, therefor, jail" sentiment in his time.

Even today, one can potentially be arrested in many different countries for what is conceptually similar to what Voltaire did. After a few centuries, times have truly "changed" (which is to say, things have not changed much at all in certain aspects). Fact is, the sentiment that Voltaire had is still at odds with the views held by much of the world today.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="meconate"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] If it's against their laws then the problem is their laws.SaintLeonidas
I once saw a guy wearing a t-shirt saying 'F*ck Emos' and the police didn't bat an eyelid. Yet somebody wears this and it's a whole different story. Not that I have any particular love for emos, I don't care either way.

Right, yes, a shirt saying "f*ck emos* is definitely comparable to a shirt directed towards police officers just hours after two were killed. :roll: The man is a moron trying to intentionally offend the friends and family of two innocent officers gunned down. Whether you agree with his jailing or not, their law is still the law, this ditsh*t broke it, move on.

So there is a law that specifically states that if 2 police officers are killed you can't wear a t-shirt like that within the next few hours?

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 nunovlopes

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Right, yes, a shirt saying "f*ck emos* is definitely comparable to a shirt directed towards police officers just hours after two were killed. :roll: The man is a moron trying to intentionally offend the friends and family of two innocent officers gunned down. Whether you agree with his jailing or not, their law is still the law, this ditsh*t broke it, move on. SaintLeonidas
He expressed an opinion by wearing that shirt. Regardless of how stupid that opinion may be, he wasn't hurting anymore. Any law that says he can't express a harmless opinion is oppressive, immoral, and illegitimate.

Wasn't hurting anyone? Yeah, because this definitely can't be considered harassment and offensive to the friends, families and fellow officers of those two officers killed just hours earlier. :roll:

So sue the guy into oblivion. Unless there's a law specifically covering this, I don't see how he can be jailed legally.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="meconate"] I once saw a guy wearing a t-shirt saying 'F*ck Emos' and the police didn't bat an eyelid. Yet somebody wears this and it's a whole different story. Not that I have any particular love for emos, I don't care either way.nunovlopes

Right, yes, a shirt saying "f*ck emos* is definitely comparable to a shirt directed towards police officers just hours after two were killed. :roll: The man is a moron trying to intentionally offend the friends and family of two innocent officers gunned down. Whether you agree with his jailing or not, their law is still the law, this ditsh*t broke it, move on.

So there is a law that specifically states that if 2 police officers are killed you can't wear a t-shirt like that within the next few hours?

Yes. Look it up.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 nunovlopes

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Right, yes, a shirt saying "f*ck emos* is definitely comparable to a shirt directed towards police officers just hours after two were killed. :roll: The man is a moron trying to intentionally offend the friends and family of two innocent officers gunned down. Whether you agree with his jailing or not, their law is still the law, this ditsh*t broke it, move on. SolidSnake35

Yes. Look it up.

What if it's the next day, is that ok?

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

I would have thought it would have been sensible for the guy to be jailed for wearing such a shirt. People who say "freedom of speech ftw" honestly have little idea of the implication of how bad freedom of speech can be.

Sure it would be fine if everyone could switch off from seeing things and hearing things but people can not. Its the same way that if you burn a koran, you are going to get people coming after you. You burn an English, USA or whereever flag, you are going to get people coming after you. It will simply cause problems that can be easily avoided if you put people like this guy away for a day or so, so they get over their stupid idea.

Just imagine if you had a younger member of your family raped by someone, abused in a horrific way, I come along wearing a t-shirt saying "yeah that *insert name* had a tight ******" I am sure you would probably want to kill me. However do you think I have a justifiable reason aside from "freedom of speech" to do such a thing? Do I have the right to cause you distress with such a t-shirt. No I dont believe I do, and I believe that is common sense. Dont be a pr1ck and everyone can get along.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#69 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] I'm sorry that we have standards in England and don't take kindly to offensive morons.

Your country is run by an oppressive authoritarian regime that arrests people for violating arbitrary standards of decency.

Cool. We're a decent people then. I guess you aren't decent?

You're actually defending this situation? I'm British and I'm with these guys. How would you like it if we censor your views on something just because we don't agree on it? While freedom Of speech you do get the idiot exploiters but it's a fair compromise for freedom of speech.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#70 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts
This is a blatant violation of freedom of speech. Laihendi
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I would have thought it would have been sensible for the guy to be jailed for wearing such a shirt. People who say "freedom of speech ftw" honestly have little idea of the implication of how bad freedom of speech can be.

Sure it would be fine if everyone could switch off from seeing things and hearing things but people can not. Its the same way that if you burn a koran, you are going to get people coming after you. You burn an English, USA or whereever flag, you are going to get people coming after you. It will simply cause problems that can be easily avoided if you put people like this guy away for a day or so, so they get over their stupid idea.

Just imagine if you had a younger member of your family raped by someone, abused in a horrific way, I come along wearing a t-shirt saying "yeah that *insert name* had a tight ******" I am sure you would probably want to kill me. However do you think I have a justifiable reason aside from "freedom of speech" to do such a thing? Do I have the right to cause you distress with such a t-shirt. No I dont believe I do, and I believe that is common sense. Dont be a pr1ck and everyone can get along.

o0squishy0o

That's up to the individual to think of the consequences of those they offend. The problem with censoring freedom of speech is, when does it stop? There is always someone offended by something.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Freedom of speech can go fvck itself when someone crosses such boundaries. Have a good time there hero.
MrMr-x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MrMr-x2
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts
Everyone should be entitled to make an ass of themselves without being jailed. he should instead be marginalized and ridiculed.
MrMr-x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MrMr-x2
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts
Freedom of speech can go fvck itself when someone crosses such boundaries. Have a good time there hero.GazaAli
As soon as you are jailed for expressing your mind your view on this would change at a drop of a hat.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
It's disgusting but I'm not a fan of the public order laws in the uk being implemented in this way. The idea is the police have the power to act on those who cause "harrasment, alarm or distress" (as that t-shirt certainly would have). But when you're talking about people acting on things that simply hurt others' feelings and nothing more, that should not the job of the police in my opinion. I especially don't like how recently it's been used against people posting hateful content on twitter. I don't follow the logic of using the public order act on twitter, which is not public domain and has its own terms of use that does not forbid hateful and offensive content.
mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

Hope they have a lot of spare jail cells if they want to incarcerate every disrespectful bastard.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#77 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

He's an idiot, but jailing him seems a bit much.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Freedom of speech can go fvck itself when someone crosses such boundaries. Have a good time there hero.MrMr-x2
As soon as you are jailed for expressing your mind your view on this would change at a drop of a hat.

I do believe people should be entitled to expressing their minds, but I also know my limits.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts
[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] A shirt can be read by anyone of any age. On a similar note, in America, don't you censor butt cracks on TV?SolidSnake35

You should if your thoughts influence people. Do you want murderers sharing their thoughts on the best ways to kill people to your children? And of course you don't, but you probably get sued for showing some butt. Where's the freedom there?

So you're saying the British can't make up their own minds but follow T-shirt slogans? Seems a problem with the population then.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJS9502_basic  Online

Freedom of speech can go fvck itself when someone crosses such boundaries. Have a good time there hero.GazaAli
I'm not suprised to see you against freedom of individuals in the least.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

He's an idiot ,but none of the words were inflammatory.

roulettethedog

He was making fun of the police right after two local officers had been killed... I think he got what he deserved

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

He's an idiot ,but none of the words were inflammatory.

LaytonsCat

He was making fun of the police right after two local officers had been killed... I think he got what he deserved

Wow what a world we live in where making fun of anyone is considered a crime. Sad....
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
I guess it's cool to respect a ridiculous law in the UK but when it's a ridiculous law in a middle eastern country everyone jumps on the hate bandwagon. Classic OT. :)
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

[QUOTE="MrMr-x2"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]Freedom of speech can go fvck itself when someone crosses such boundaries. Have a good time there hero.GazaAli

I do believe people should be entitled to expressing their minds, but I also know my limits.

Thats why its called freedom of speech. It not there to satisfty your limits or anyone elses. I honestly can't believe people should lawfully punish others over a dumb statement. I did not know England was like that. dawm

Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Kamekazi_69
[QUOTE="achilles614"]I guess it's cool to respect a ridiculous law in the UK but when it's a ridiculous law in a middle eastern country everyone jumps on the hate bandwagon. Classic OT. :)

Double standards. its all over OT and rears its ugly head sometimes
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
If it was intended towards someone then yes, he broke the law so I garee with the verdict, if however it was a generalized statement about police such as "F**k the police!" then that's fine and is an opinion, this however was personal.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="achilles614"]I guess it's cool to respect a ridiculous law in the UK but when it's a ridiculous law in a middle eastern country everyone jumps on the hate bandwagon. Classic OT. :)

I was noticing that myself.....but I didn't want to bring it up.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 JohnF111

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="MrMr-x2"] As soon as you are jailed for expressing your mind your view on this would change at a drop of a hat. Kamekazi_69

Thats why its called freedom of speech. It not there to satisfty your limits or anyone elses. I honestly can't believe people should lawfully punish others over a dumb statement. I did not know England was like that. dawm

It wasn't a statement, he only did this when specific people had died, that's not just freedom of speech, he might as well have gone to the funeral and said "Good riddance scum!" to the coffin.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] I do believe people should be entitled to expressing their minds, but I also know my limits.JohnF111

It wasn't a statement, he only did this when specific people had died, that's not just freedom of speech, he might as well have gone to the funeral and said "Good riddance scum!" to the coffin.

Doesn't matter the when. Speech is either free or it's not. And in the UK...it doesn't seem to be free.
Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
Some of you people in America have no idea what is going on with this case. One of the main reasons he got arrested for what you all think is a little free speech, is thtat, the deaths of the police officers was all over the nation news, with Cameron giving a few words for the passed police officers. It was/is a highly spoken about case here, where every bit of new information goes straight onto national news.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="Chicken453"]Some of you people in America have no idea what is going on with this case. One of the main reasons he got arrested for what you all think is a little free speech, is thtat, the deaths of the police officers was all over the nation news, with Cameron giving a few words for the passed police officers. It was/is a highly spoken about case here, where every bit of new information goes straight onto national news.

We understand that. It doesn't change our opinion. Free speech is important to us. Perhaps it's not to you but when you start limiting freedom....it generally erodes.
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Kamekazi_69
[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] I do believe people should be entitled to expressing their minds, but I also know my limits.JohnF111

Point of view then. Offensive? Yes, Lets not forget the inbreds running Westboro baptist church picketing soldiers' funerals (I know in the US not in the UK, but Im throwing an example out as I am not well familiar with UK law on Verbal expression). Again, is it offensive and hurtful? absolutely, and disgusting, but you fight with words. Again freedom of speech is a loose term but it should imply ones freedom of expression. We can't nit pick what is okay and what isnt. You fight back with words, with protest, with numbers, but to jail someone? I just do not agree with it.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Pretty insensitive of him to do that, but nobody should be jailed for that.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]

LJS9502_basic

Doesn't matter the when. Speech is either free or it's not. And in the UK...it doesn't seem to be free.

section 4a public order offence - displaying writing or other visible representation with intention of causing harassment, alarm or distress.

Sucks to be him but it's his own fault.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] It wasn't a statement, he only did this when specific people had died, that's not just freedom of speech, he might as well have gone to the funeral and said "Good riddance scum!" to the coffin.JohnF111

section 4a public order offence - displaying writing or other visible representation with intention of causing harassment, alarm or distress.

Sucks to be him but it's his own fault.

I'm not arguing that it's the law...I'm arguing it's a bad law. Big difference.:|
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 GazaAli
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]

Kamekazi_69

Point of view then. Offensive? Yes, Lets not forget the inbreds running Westboro baptist church picketing soldiers' funerals (I know in the US not in the UK, but Im throwing an example out as I am not well familiar with UK law on Verbal expression). Again, is it offensive and hurtful? absolutely, and disgusting, but you fight with words. Again freedom of speech is a loose term but it should imply ones freedom of expression. We can't nit pick what is okay and what isnt. You fight back with words, with protest, with numbers, but to jail someone? I just do not agree with it.

Its funny you brought up the WBC as I remember sometime ago, there was a topic about the a law in the US preventing WBC from picketing soldiers' funerals and it was met with great acceptance by OT. I met it with such acceptance, but brought the point that under OT's definition of freedom of speech, that was surely limiting it in the US.
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Kamekazi_69
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] It wasn't a statement, he only did this when specific people had died, that's not just freedom of speech, he might as well have gone to the funeral and said "Good riddance scum!" to the coffin.

Its funny you brought up the WBC as I remember sometime ago, there was a topic about the a law in the US preventing WBC from picketing soldiers' funerals and it was met with great acceptance by OT. I met it with such acceptance, but brought the point that under OT's definition of freedom of speech, that was surely limiting it in the US.

The bill requires them to be within a certain amount of feet within the premise of a funeral and allowed to protest withing certain hours I believe that is. Sure that should be questioned, but they are still allowed to spew their filth to the world without repercussion. You are still allowed to protest the bill.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] It wasn't a statement, he only did this when specific people had died, that's not just freedom of speech, he might as well have gone to the funeral and said "Good riddance scum!" to the coffin.

No one is stopping the WBC from spewing hate. They just have to keep back from the actual funeral. Which is nothing new. Demonstrations do have to have a permit and all. Before speaking...maybe do some research.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
This is a blatant violation of freedom of speech. Laihendi
Its pretty obvious that Britain doesn't have the freedom of speech.