Box Office - Gran Torino Drives Over Spoiled Brides

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

(Title) -- (Engagements)-- (Estimated Weekend Box Office)

1.Gran Torino (Warner Bros.) -- 2,808 -- $29,025,000

2.Bride Wars (20th Century Fox) -- 3,226-- $21,500,000

3.The Unborn (Universal) --2,357 -- $21,095,150

4.Marley & Me (20th Century Fox) -- 3,478 --$11,350,000

5.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Paramount/ Warner Bros.) -- 2,947-- $9,450,000

6.Bedtime Stories (Disney) -- 3,511 -- $8,550,000

7.Valkyrie (United Artists/MGM) -- 2,838 --$6,662,000

8.Yes Man (Warner Bros.) -- 2,955 -- $6,155,000

9.Not Easily Broken (Sony) -- 724-- $5,600,000

10.Seven Pounds (Sony)-- 2,456-- $3,900,000 in millions of dollars

Source: Variety

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Now I just need to see Gran Torino.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
gran torino was an incredible film. i cant believe people went to see that bride movie
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

gran torino was an incredible film. i cant believe people went to see that bride moviefreshgman

Agreed on both points. Imo, Gran Torino was the best movie of the year.

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
I want to see that, maybe this weekend.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chessmaster1989
"perhaps the only actor in the history of American cinema to convincingly kick the butt of a guy 60 years his junior" I love that line in the article on Gran Torino (referring to Clint) :D.
Avatar image for NecroKvltMuffin
NecroKvltMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NecroKvltMuffin
Member since 2007 • 9334 Posts
Bride Wars is a better movie though.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Bride Wars is a better movie though.NecroKvltMuffin

Sarcasm? Please be sarcasm.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
I'm not that surprised. I didn't enjoy it. At least Bride Wars didn't take the top spot.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="NecroKvltMuffin"]Bride Wars is a better movie though.Legendaryscmt

Sarcasm? Please be sarcasm.

Don't worry, it's sarcasm. The only people who have ever said that are now safely locked up in padded rooms. ;)
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Bride Wars is a better movie though.NecroKvltMuffin

Get off my internet! :P

wado-karate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 wado-karate
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts
Now I want to see Gran Torino even more.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Im glad out of those tips three that Gran Torino came out on top, although it didnt find it to be as great as everyone else did.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sammyjenkis898
Im glad out of those tips three that Gran Torino came out on top, although it didnt find it to be as great as everyone else did.SaintLeonidas
I pretty much agree with the critics. It was definitely a minor entry to Clint Eastwoods work.
SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
Gran torino was good but if it wasnt for Clint it would have sucked
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Im glad out of those tips three that Gran Torino came out on top, although it didnt find it to be as great as everyone else did.sammyjenkis898
I pretty much agree with the critics. It was definitely a minor entry to Clint Eastwoods work.

Ya, it didnt stand out as anything special, however I think it could have been much better with a new cast.
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

Aww...I'd expect Benjamin Button to be higher up there.

Ohwells, still good, but Bride Wars? Really?

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Im glad out of those tips three that Gran Torino came out on top, although it didnt find it to be as great as everyone else did.SaintLeonidas

Ya, it didnt stand out as anything special, however I think it could have been much better with a new cast.

Besides Clint Eastwood the whole cast was pretty bad. I'm glad it's not really being nominated for anything.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] I pretty much agree with the critics. It was definitely a minor entry to Clint Eastwoods work.sammyjenkis898

Besides Clint Eastwood the whole cast was pretty bad. I'm glad it's not really being nominated for anything.

I disagree with you all-I thought it was spectacular. Okay, yes, the supporting cast was medicore, at best, but Clint Eastwood did a fanstastic job, and deserves at least to be nominated for best actor. I would also nominate him for best director, and the film for best picture (no nominations from it for best supporting actor, best actress, or best supporting actress).

Oh, by the way, it was not nominated for anything important for the Golden Globes, but the Oscars are still to come.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Ya, it didnt stand out as anything special, however I think it could have been much better with a new cast.chessmaster1989

I disagree with you all-I thought it was spectacular. Okay, yes, the supporting cast was medicore, at best, but Clint Eastwood did a fanstastic job, and deserves at least to be nominated for best actor. I would also nominate him for best director, and the film for best picture (no nominations from it for best supporting actor, best actress, or best supporting actress).

Chances are it won't be nominated for any of those. Then again, the Academy does like Clint Eastwood.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
gran torino was an incredible film. i cant believe people went to see that bride moviefreshgman
can't wait to see it
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RobbieH1234

Oh, by the way, it was not nominated for anything important for the Golden Globes, but the Oscars are still to come.

chessmaster1989

The only thing I can see Gran Torino getting at the Oscars is a best actor nod (even then it's kind of unlikely since best actor is stacked this year), with either Penn or Rourke winning it.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

RobbieH1234

The only thing I can see Gran Torino getting at the Oscars is a best actor nod (even then it's kind of unlikely since best actor is stacked this year), with either Penn or Rourke winning it.

Well, I think that Eastwood at the very least deserves a best actor nomination. Personally, I would love to see him win, given how many great films (including Gran Torino) he has given us.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sammyjenkis898

RobbieH1234

I think Sean Penn pretty much has it locked.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Gran Torino was the best film I saw all year. Clint Eastwood's performance was amazing. He showed those punks whoose boss the entire film. Favorite line in the movie was " Ever notice how you come across someone you should not have messed with? That's me."
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

sammyjenkis898

You're probably right, actually. He did a spectacular job in Milk.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts
good, damn all i know is i gotta see me some gran torino, even though someone on these forums ruined the ending for me:x
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Ya, it didnt stand out as anything special, however I think it could have been much better with a new cast.chessmaster1989

If anything it only deserves a best actor nom, defiantly not best pic and has no chance at the oscars for director/screenplay of best picture. The best bets for best Pic noms are either Revolutionary Road, Milk, Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire or Doubt.
UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
"perhaps the only actor in the history of American cinema to convincingly kick the butt of a guy 60 years his junior" I love that line in the article on Gran Torino (referring to Clint) :D.chessmaster1989
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you would think it was awesome if he did anything. :P
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="RobbieH1234"]The only thing I can see Gran Torino getting at the Oscars is a best actor nod (even then it's kind of unlikely since best actor is stacked this year), with either Penn or Rourke winning it.

chessmaster1989

If he doesn't win it will be Mickey Rourke, but I think Sean Penn pretty much has it locked.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

Defiantly. I hope he walks away with the Oscar win...speaking of awards, the Golden Globes are on tonight, I hope Ledger wins, should be a great moment.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Besides Clint Eastwood the whole cast was pretty bad. I'm glad it's not really being nominated for anything.SaintLeonidas

If anything it only deserves a best actor nom, defiantly not best pic and has no chance at the oscars for director/screenplay of best picture. The best bets for best Pic noms are either Revolutionary Road, Milk, Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire or Doubt.

Tbh, neither TDK nor Slumdog deserves to be nominated for Best Picture, imo. Milk definitely will be nominated. I haven't seen Frost/Nixon, but I've heard it's spectacular.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CleanPlayer
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="RobbieH1234"]The only thing I can see Gran Torino getting at the Oscars is a best actor nod (even then it's kind of unlikely since best actor is stacked this year), with either Penn or Rourke winning it.

SaintLeonidas

Defiantly. I hope he walks away with the Oscar win...speaking of awards, the Golden Globes are on tonight, I hope Ledger wins, should be a great moment.

I actually believe Ledger deserves it. He literally transformed into the Joker.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Tbh, neither TDK nor Slumdog deserves to be nominated for Best Picture, imo. Milk definitely will be nominated. I haven't seen Frost/Nixon, but I've heard it's spectacular.

You don't think Slumdog Millionaire deserves to be nominated for Best Picture? Chances are it's going to win.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] I think Sean Penn pretty much has it locked.CleanPlayer

He's going to win for Best Supporting Actor.
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
And it did it while showing on 500 fewer screens. I was gonna go see it this weekend with some friends, but we decided not to, so that would have been a few dollars more (haha, Eastwood reference) for Gran Torino.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]"perhaps the only actor in the history of American cinema to convincingly kick the butt of a guy 60 years his junior" I love that line in the article on Gran Torino (referring to Clint) :D.UnamedThing
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you would think it was awesome if he did anything. :P

*Clint Eastwood eats some food* ZOMG AMAZING!

*Clint Eastwood takes a ***** ZOMG AMAZING!

*Clint Eastwood makes a bad movie* ZOMG AMAZING!

I kid :D.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Defiantly. I hope he walks away with the Oscar win...speaking of awards, the Golden Globes are on tonight, I hope Ledger wins, should be a great moment.sammyjenkis898

But.. but... I want Robert Downey Jr. to win at the Golden Globes, and Josh Brolin to win at the Oscars.

*throws up flame shield*

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RobbieH1234

chessmaster1989
I preferred Brolin to be honest; it could be because I thought his character was far more interesting than Milk. Of the probable 5 (Langella, Penn, Rourke, Pitt, Leo), Penn was still the best.

If anything it only deserves a best actor nom, defiantly not best pic and has no chance at the oscars for director/screenplay of best picture. The best bets for best Pic noms are either Revolutionary Road, Milk, Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire or Doubt.SaintLeonidas
I'd almost guarantee Milk, Slumdog, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button and The Dark Knight will be the 5 best picture nominations. Not what I'd have, but it's the Oscars after all.

Slumdog will sweep the Globes, by the way. :P

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]I actually believe Ledger deserves it. He literally transformed into the Joker. chessmaster1989

But.. but... I want Robert Downey Jr. to win at the Golden Globes, and Josh Brolin to win at the Oscars.

*throws up flame shield*

Robert Downey Jr. is nominated for Comedy at the Golden Globes. Sorry, Josh Brolin doesn't have a chance. :P
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
The fact that awful films like Bride Wars can earn $21m just shows how many stupid people still exist in this world.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CleanPlayer
Here's my predicitons for Global Awards Best Picture ( Drama) - Button Actress - Streep Actor - Sean Penn Best Picture ( Comedy) - Burn After Reading Supporting Actor - Tom Cruise! jk,,, Ledger Supporting Actress - Cruz Best Animated Film - Wall-E
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaintLeonidas

If anything it only deserves a best actor nom, defiantly not best pic and has no chance at the oscars for director/screenplay of best picture. The best bets for best Pic noms are either Revolutionary Road, Milk, Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire or Doubt.SaintLeonidas
I'd almost guarantee Milk, Slumdog, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button and The Dark Knight will be the 5 best picture nominations. Not what I'd have, but it's the Oscars after all.

Slumdog will sweep the Globes, by the way. :P

yeah, that is the exact five that i see getting the nominations, especially after The Dark Knight was nominated by the Producers/Writers/Directors Guilds.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] He's going to win for Best Supporting Actor.sammyjenkis898

*throws up flame shield*

Robert Downey Jr. is nominated for Comedy at the Golden Globes. Sorry, Josh Brolin doesn't have a chance. :P

I disagree. I definitely thought Brolin was better in Milk than Ledger was in TDK. Actually, I wasn't a huge fan of TDK.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

*throws up flame shield*

chessmaster1989

I disagree. I definitely thought Brolin was better in Milk than Ledger was in TDK. Actually, I wasn't a huge fan of TDK.

Heath Ledger has pretty much won every Best Supporting Actor award so far. He's got it locked.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RobbieH1234

Here's my predicitons for Global Awards Best Picture ( Drama) - Button Actress - Streep Actor - Sean Penn Best Picture ( Comedy) - Burn After Reading Supporting Actor - Tom Cruise! jk,,, Ledger Supporting Actress - Cruz Best Animated Film - Wall-ECleanPlayer
Mine: [spoiler] Best Actor, Drama - Sean Penn, Milk
Best Actor, Musical or Comedy - Javier Bardem, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Best Actress, Drama - Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Best Actress, Musical or Comedy - Sally Hawkins, Happy Go Lucky
Best Animated Film - Wall E
Best Director - Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Film, Drama - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Film, Musical or Comedy - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Best Foreign Language Film - Waltz with Bashir
Best Original Score - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Screenplay - Doubt
Best Original Song - The Wrestler
Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Best Supporting Actress - Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Actor, Drama Series - Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Best Actor, Musical or Comedy Series - Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Best Actor, Miniseries or TV Film - Paul Giamatti, John Adams
Best Actress, Drama Series - January Jones, Mad Men
Best Actress, Musical or Comedy Series - Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Best Actress, Miniseries or TV Film - Laura Linney, John Adams
Best Series, Drama - Mad Men
Best Series, Comedy - 30 Rock
Best Miniseries or TV Film - John Adams
Best Supporting Actor, Series - Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Best Supporting Actress, Series - Dianne Weist, In Treatment [/spoiler]

The TV nominations are God awful this year. Just awful.

Devour2Survive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Devour2Survive
Member since 2008 • 782 Posts
Well I guess everyone who wanted to see that movie has seen it now. Don't be surprise not to find it on top 3 next week.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Robert Downey Jr. is nominated for Comedy at the Golden Globes. Sorry, Josh Brolin doesn't have a chance. :Psammyjenkis898

Heath Ledger has pretty much won every Best Supporting Actor award so far. He's got it locked.

...since when did the Oscars/Golden Globes base their picks on whom everyone else chose?

Besides, I was talking about whom I want to win.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

...since when did the Oscars/Golden Globes base their picks on whom everyone else chose?

Besides, I was talking about whom I want to win.

Pretty much every year it goes the same way. Forrest Whitaker, Jamie Foxx, Daniel Day Lewis etc.. I know. I was saying who I think is going to win.. :|
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#50 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
Good job, Gran Torino.