Black man jailed for yawning.

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cookigaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cookigaki
Member since 2009 • 690 Posts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-jailed-for-yawning-10-aug10,0,3679452.story

Clifton Williams arrived at the Will County Courthouse in Joliet and sat in the fourth-floor courtroom where his cousin was pleading guilty to a felony drug charge.

As Circuit Judge Daniel Rozak handed down the cousin's sentence -- 2 years' probation -- Williams, 33, stretched and let out a very ill-timed yawn.

Williams' sentence? Six months in jail -- the maximum penalty for criminal contempt without a jury trial. The Richton Park man was locked up July 23 and will serve at least 21 days.

"I was flabbergasted because I didn't realize a judge could do that," said Williams' father, Clifton Williams Sr. "It seems to me like a yawn is an involuntary action."

Chuck Pelkie, a spokesman for the state's attorney's office, said the prosecutor in the courtroom that day told him that "it was not a simple yawn -- it was a loud and boisterous attempt to disrupt the proceedings."

Jason Mayfield, the cousin of Williams who was pleading guilty at the time, said it was "not an outrageous yawn."

A Tribune review of a decade's worth of contempt-of-court charges reveals that Rozak jails people -- typically spectators whose cell phones go off or who scream or shout profanity during sentencing -- at a far higher rate than any other judge in the county. There are now 30 judges in the 12th Judicial Circuit, but since 1999, Rozak has brought more than a third of all the contempt charges, records show.

And while it is not uncommon for judges to jail people for ignoring subpoenas or court orders or appearing in court drunk or under the influence of drugs, Rozak's charges tend to involve behavior that would not otherwise be criminal.

Judges have broad discretion under the law, which defines contempt as acts that embarrass, hinder or obstruct the court in its administration of justice or lessen its authority or dignity. As long as the sentence is not longer than 6 months, there is no review of the case -- unless the offender appeals to the judge or a higher court.

"We want judges to be able to manage the courtroom ... but we have some concern that when the contempt is personal, judges might react too harshly," said University of Chicago law professor Adam Samaha. "Contempt that happens right in the judge's face is likely to trigger an emotional reaction."

Observers describe Rozak as running the type of strict courtroom that was common a few decades ago. Defense attorneys say Rozak is "tough but fair" and runs particularly well-managed trials. Rozak has been elected in 2000 and 2006, both times with recommendations from the state bar association.

"I think he's terrific -- he understands how the world works," said Joliet defense attorney David Carlson. "Some of the most serious felonies we have are handled in his courtroom, so I think there should be a level of seriousness and decorum."

So far this year, five criminal contempt charges have been brought by Will County judges. Four of them were brought by Rozak, including the case of Derrick Lee, a Joliet man who "resisted" sitting where sheriff's deputies directed him, talked in a "very loud" voice during court and referred to Rozak as "boss," according to the judge's contempt order. Lee, who also was wanted on an outstanding warrant, was sentenced to 30 days but was released two days later after apologizing.

Chief Judge Gerald Kinney said he couldn't comment on the propriety of Williams' case, but said he would have liked a more detailed order from Rozak in imposing the maximum penalty. He was not aware that Rozak brings a high percentage of contempt charges and said he has not received a significant number of complaints about the judge.

Rozak could not be reached for comment.

Rozak's order sentencing Williams to 6 months in jail found that he "raised his hands while at the same time making a loud yawning sound" that caused the judge to "break from the proceedings."

"I really can't believe I'm in jail," Williams wrote his family in a letter. "I done set (sic) in this [expletive] a week so far for nothing."

People in other Will County courtrooms have received less severe sentences for seemingly more flagrant offenses. In Judge Richard Schoenstedt's court last year, a woman was disruptive during closing arguments of a trial; shouted, "This is bull ..." as she was led away; was held to the floor by a deputy; and "continued to be disruptive" after later being brought back before the judge. She received a 7-day sentence for contempt, records show.

Rozak has sentenced more spectators to jail for infractions involving cell phones than any other judge in Will County in the last decade. In 2003, a man who called the judge an "ass" after Rozak ordered him to turn over the phone when it rang in court was sentenced to 10 days but did just 24 hours after apologizing to the judge.

Three years later, a man twice refused to turn over his ringing cell phone to a deputy and then, his phone ringing before the bench, refused to hand it to Rozak. He also received a 6-month sentence, but it was reduced to 18 days after the man apologized, records show.

In the two-story brick home where Williams had been living with his aunt Cheryl Mayfield and caring for his 79-year-old grandmother, family members said they were in shock over the sentence but were unable to afford an attorney to appeal.

"This is ridiculous -- you've got all these people shooting up kids, and here this boy yawns in court [and gets 6 months]. It's crazy," she said. "This could happen to any one of us."

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Holy crap, thats dumb! What if he sneezed? Would he get a life-time sentence.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

They couldn't just kick him out of the court room for "interrupting the trial"? He had to be jailed for just yawning? :?

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
I think this calls for a facepalm.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

That is why I avoid trials.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
Well, if he disrupts the court there is still no need to put him in jail, just kick him out...
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Wow , that's ridiculous. I was under the impression that judges were supposed top warn people about outbursts before they held them in contempt.

Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
Power trip.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Am I the only one who yawned while reading this?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Ragnarok1051

You WHAT!? :x

*calls the police*

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
What is the significance of his skin colour?
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Ragnarok1051

I was going to ask the same question. :lol:

xxDustmanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xxDustmanxx
Member since 2007 • 2598 Posts
The real question is, if it had been a white man, would he have been jailed just the same?
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
What is the significance of his skin colour?xTheExploited
RACISM!!!!1!!!111!
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mercenary848

I have seen your avatar so many times, and I am just realising it is from clerks.

Also things are always cooler when they happen to black people.

Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts

Ragnarok1051
Im taking you to court.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ragnarok1051
[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

Kikouken
Im taking you to court.

Try and catch me first!! :x
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

*yawn* America being stupid as usual.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ragnarok1051

*yawn* America being stupid as usual.

ghoklebutter
*Kicks door in* Hands where I can see them!!
-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
So he was just sitting there watching? What an abuse of power.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I think this calls for a facepalm.Tauruslink
I think this deserves a double facepalm.

Facepalm

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
That's what I wonder every time I read "Black man/woman/kid" on the newspaper.
3aNkabot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 3aNkabot
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts
That is outrageous, I hope this story spreads in your media something must be done.
its_me_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 its_me_
Member since 2008 • 947 Posts

Should have kept his mouth shut. It's a courtroom for God's sake. You don't let out a loud yawn during one of the most important parts of a trial. It seems pretty clear that this was an obvious attempt to spite the judge.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ragnarok1051
That is outrageous, I hope this story spreads in your media something must be done.3aNkabot
Something must be done? You act like this is an atrocity. I think its extreme, but I don't think "something must be done".
mr__gameboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mr__gameboy
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts

love the topic title. black man. not man or a male. a black man. and the story mentioned nothing of race. why TC, why. i guess the guy should just apologize and get a reduction in sentence like the other people.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#29 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Cause it's racist
its_me_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 its_me_
Member since 2008 • 947 Posts

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"]What is the significance of his skin colour?Toriko42
Cause it's racist

No. It's not. What ignorance...

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Toriko42

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="xTheExploited"]What is the significance of his skin colour?its_me_

Cause it's racist

Other people who did worst things, who were white, got lighter sentences if you read the article.
Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts

Should have kept his mouth shut. It's a courtroom for God's sake. You don't let out a loud yawn during one of the most important parts of a trial. It seems pretty clear that this was an obvious attempt to spite the judge.

its_me_
Are you serious?
3aNkabot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 3aNkabot
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts
[QUOTE="3aNkabot"]That is outrageous, I hope this story spreads in your media something must be done.Ragnarok1051
Something must be done? You act like this is an atrocity. I think its extreme, but I don't think "something must be done".

He could have a family he needs to support, he might lose his job, and being jailed might hinder him from getting another job. He should have ordered him to leave or made the security kick him out of court. Not locking him up.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="its_me_"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"] Cause it's racistToriko42

Other people who did worst things, who were white, got lighter sentences if you read the article.

Actually, if YOU'D read the article, they got the exact same sentences but were let off easy because they apologised--something this guy has not done.

Race card = inapplicable.

Cookigaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cookigaki
Member since 2009 • 690 Posts
Cookigaki know what most of you are thinking..."Racism will go away if people will stop bringing it up" Cookigaki knows it wont go away, We as a people must continue to talk about racism. It was all racist guys - Racist, racist, racist, racist! Cookigaki don't have a grudge against racism or racist people, Some of Cookigaki friends are racist.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
6 months? I know people who have goten less for assault. Sounds like a power trip to me.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Reminds me of my maths class two years ago. The teacher told me to see him after class finished because I yawned...
elblanquito_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 elblanquito_81
Member since 2007 • 4356 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"][QUOTE="3aNkabot"]That is outrageous, I hope this story spreads in your media something must be done.3aNkabot

He could have a family he needs to support, he might lose his job, and being jailed might hinder him from getting another job. He should have ordered him to leave or made the security kick him out of court. Not locking him up.

He should've thought about that before letting out a yawn. Would he do that during a job interview?? At work with his boss around?? So why do it in a courtroom, especially when the judge is handing down the sentence. Everyone else would have the decency to hold it in or at least keep it quiet so as not to draw attention to themselves, that's why I believe he was just doing it to be an ass. Got what he deserved IMO. Too bad they don't have life sentences for offenses like this, that would teach people to be more respectful.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Toriko42

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="its_me_"]

Theokhoth

Actually, if YOU'D read the article, they got the exact same sentences but were let off easy because they apologised--something this guy has not done.

Race card = inapplicable.

Apologizing for this is a crime in itself, I hope this guy fights the power.
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts
[QUOTE="Cookigaki"]Cookigaki know what most of you are thinking..."Racism will go away if people will stop bringing it up" Cookigaki knows it wont go away, We as a people must continue to talk about racism. It was all racist guys - Racist, racist, racist, racist! Cookigaki don't have a grudge against racism or racist people, Some of Cookigaki friends are racist.

ha you talk in the third person.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mercenary848

We can't say this is racial, but it would of been easier to ask the man to leave. A jail sentence is overkill and then pissing on the body for something lie this.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

s.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Cookigaki know what most of you are thinking..."Racism will go away if people will stop bringing it up" Cookigaki knows it wont go away, We as a people must continue to talk about racism. It was all racist guys - Racist, racist, racist, racist! Cookigaki don't have a grudge against racism or racist people, Some of Cookigaki friends are racist.Cookigaki

Cookigaki speak truth. *bow down*

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Toriko42
[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"][QUOTE="Cookigaki"]Cookigaki know what most of you are thinking..."Racism will go away if people will stop bringing it up" Cookigaki knows it wont go away, We as a people must continue to talk about racism. It was all racist guys - Racist, racist, racist, racist! Cookigaki don't have a grudge against racism or racist people, Some of Cookigaki friends are racist.

ha you talk in the third person.

Cookigaki is the best user ever
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Holy crap, thats dumb! What if he sneezed? Would he get a life-time sentence.enterawesome
Probably death by lethal injection.
Fdar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fdar
Member since 2003 • 193 Posts

This Judge needs to come to Flint MI. In the past year there has been two trails, where brawls broke out. At one of the trials the fight spilled out of the court room.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mercenary848

[QUOTE="3aNkabot"][QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"] Something must be done? You act like this is an atrocity. I think its extreme, but I don't think "something must be done". elblanquito_81

He should've thought about that before letting out a yawn. Would he do that during a job interview?? At work with his boss around?? So why do it in a courtroom, especially when the judge is handing down the sentence. Everyone else would have the decency to hold it in or at least keep it quiet so as not to draw attention to themselves, that's why I believe he was just doing it to be an ass. Got what he deserved IMO. Too bad they don't have life sentences for offenses like this, that would teach people to be more respectful.

It was just a yawn, I would yawn too if I haad to sit through a trial all day. Honestly some people do it without even thinking, and no matter his reason that is still excessive.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Some people don't use the power given to them responsibly or rationally.

phillo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 phillo99
Member since 2005 • 2369 Posts

Why is it relevant that he's black?

But jailing a man for yawning is beyond excessive. At most he should have been given a verbal reprimand.

elblanquito_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 elblanquito_81
Member since 2007 • 4356 Posts

[QUOTE="elblanquito_81"]

[QUOTE="3aNkabot"] He could have a family he needs to support, he might lose his job, and being jailed might hinder him from getting another job. He should have ordered him to leave or made the security kick him out of court. Not locking him up.Mercenary848

It was just a yawn, I would yawn too if I haad to sit through a trial all day. Honestly some people do it without even thinking, and no matter his reason that is still excessive.

It was a disruptive yawn, not a regular one. There are some things you just don't do, and one of them is interrupt court proceedings by being an ass. He knew he'd be there a long time, had he really been feeling tired he could've asked a court officer if it was alright to step out. Had I been sitting next to him I most likely would've slapped him upside the head as hard as I can. Twice. Judge should've taken a cue from Kim Jong Il and sentenced him to hard labor though.