Become a video game designer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MOTORHEAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 MOTORHEAT
Member since 2008 • 308 Posts

Hello gamespot fans.

I am 17 years old and am about to finish high school and i still dont know what i will do in my life.

One of my jobs that really excites me is game designer.I like playing games very much,talking about their problems and what would be better to improve them and blabla.To sum up i am looking for a university that you will be able to study and take a diploma.

I am also good on maths and physics,i have 2 gce a levels,an igce english,and my native language is greek.

Anyone can help me?

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

Um, check local universities?

MOTORHEAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MOTORHEAT

can you become more specific?

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

can you become more specific?

MOTORHEAT

Check local universities for said career?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It depends on which part of game development you are interested in. Just programming, then go to computer engineering. Art direction, go to fine arts. If you are going to design games, I assume you will be needing your programming skills, which will involve a lot of calculus. But seriously, the best way is just looking for universities yourself. Almost every universities nowadays have computer engineering program, and it all depends how good you are with your math, and where you live.
MigsPlusEight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 MigsPlusEight
Member since 2010 • 674 Posts

Hello gamespot fans.

I am 17 years old and am about to finish high school and i still dont know what i will do in my life.

One of my jobs that really excites me is game designer.I like playing games very much,talking about their problems and what would be better to improve them and blabla.To sum up i am looking for a university that you will be able to study and take a diploma.

I am also good on maths and physics,i have 2 gce a levels,an igce english,and my native language is greek.

Anyone can help me?

MOTORHEAT

Damn. You remind me of me. I've been thinking about that job when I was 12 yrs. old.

MOTORHEAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MOTORHEAT

Ok there are many good universities but are only in U.S.Anyone know any European?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Ok there are many good universities but are only in U.S.Anyone know any European?

MOTORHEAT
Well any good UK uni is out of the picture as you only have 2 A levels, you'll need atleast 3 for the UK. Just be aware that the programming side of games development is just like any other software developement except you have to work huge amounts of overtime. Also in most companies you have absolutely no design power unless you're a haed of department, i think the only real exception is Valve. The games industry is also dwarfed by the business apps industry, just one of the big business apps developers hires more people than the entire game industry.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Learn computer science. While you're pursuing your degree, hook up with a mod team on some game and help program for them and design. That's honestly what gaming companies like to see.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
[QUOTE="MOTORHEAT"]

markop2003
Well any good UK uni is out of the picture as you only have 2 A levels, you'll need atleast 3 for the UK. Just be aware that the programming side of games development is just like any other software developement except you have to work huge amounts of overtime. Also in most companies you have absolutely no design power unless you're a haed of department, i think the only real exception is Valve. The games industry is also dwarfed by the business apps industry, just one of the big business apps developers hires more people than the entire game industry.

Yeah listen to this guy. Most people don't understand how stressful production is in the entertainment biz. Most people burn out within five years.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

go ask around university`s and maybe they have something for you ;)

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

Learn computer science. While you're pursuing your degree, hook up with a mod team on some game and help program for them and design. That's honestly what gaming companies like to see.Lethalhazard

If you really want to get into it, then do this. If you're good at art, then you can do the same thing as an artist. Don't EVER go for these "video game design" degrees. They're worthless.

Making games isn't a cake walk though. It's not like you can come up with a design and just do it. A lot of people who like playing games will start making them and give up. A couple people I know said that it actually ruined games for them.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
sounds like you'd be good a good qa tester..
Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
I am doing computer programming, and at first I thought of doing game design. I have since realized that was a dumb idea. Instead you should do computer programming and get a good steady job for some software or science group, possibly the government, and then make games in your free time as a hobby. The reason being: 90% of people are stupid and can't do math much less programming, so the world is need of these people. The second reason is that game design is a contract job, meaning you will work for a company for a couple of years to do a project and then be layed off only so you can find work elsewhere only to repeat the process.
Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts

Be sure that you gain some sort of experience with game designing. Find an indie games company to join or make your own flash games. I don't think most of the big companies will hire anyone without real experience.