Band Of Brothers vs. The Pacific - which is better?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
To me, the only correct answer is Band Of Brothers. Period. But they are both great in their own ways, but BoB is better by a long shot. Here is how we are going to do this to keep this a good dicussion. Give your rating of each of them (on a star scale. with 1 star being the worst and 5 stars being the best.), and giving your opinion on why that is. I will start. ______________________________ Band Of Brothers: 5 stars out of 5. Astounding. Perfectly paced, great characters that are all significant in their own way, its not too glorified, and there is plenty of emotion. Incredible film. _______________________________ The Pacific: 3.5 stars out of 5: The pacing is not as good, there is too much sex (waaay too much), and my main issue is that nobody except for a few characters seem unique. Its like, there are hundreds of marines, and only 2 or 3 of them are even considered important and while there are men dying in the dozens, there is 1 guy in the middle of it acting like a super-hero (specifically John Basilone. Terrible character). In fact, out of the 3 main characters, the only one I liked was Eugene Sledge. He was the only one who seemed normal, the only one that was not portrayed as some kind of super-hero like Basilone, and not arrogant like Lecky. On the up side, the battle scenes are just as cool to watch as the ones in BoB, and the settings were chosen well, and the musical score is actually better than BoB. _______________________________ Now, what was your favorite part from each? Both of them are 10 part mini-series, so which of the parts were your favorites? In BoB, Its either Part 5 or Part 6 for me. _______________________________ In The Pacific, its either Part 7 or Part 9. Part 10 is probably the best though just for the emotion..............
ninjastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ninjastar
Member since 2003 • 9589 Posts
Band of brothers.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Well to be honest Basilone was one god damn badass, I mean Pacific obviously took some creative liberty, but he still basically did all the things in the movie. And I think it is really fitting that they center a good part of the show on him and then end him as uneventefuly as they did. It really shows that no matter how big a person someone is, their deaths will rarely be glorious.
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kevlar101
Well to be honest Basilone was one god damn badass, I mean Pacific obviously took some creative liberty, but he still basically did all the things in the movie. And I think it is really fitting that they center a good part of the show on him and then end him as uneventefuly as they did. It really shows that no matter how big a person someone is, their deaths will rarely be glorious. chaplainDMK
I just downright hated his character :( But to each his own I suppose :)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Both are great, but I felt a much better connection with the characters of BoB, and I just overall find Europe more interesting than pacific islands with nothing on them.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kevlar101

Both are great, but I felt a much better connection with the characters of BoB, and I just overall find Europe more interesting than pacific islands with nothing on them.

wis3boi
There was not NOTHING on them........... there were Japs on them :P
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

European Theater > Pacific Theater. Even though, if it hadn't been for the Russian human walls overrunning the Germans on the Eastern front the western allies D-Day invasion would have been demolished.

My only problem with most WW2 movies or shows based on the western front is how much it is glorified when the war was actually won on the Eastern front, not the western front. By the time the D-Day invasion took place the Russians backed up by the lend lease already had the Germans on a total retreat.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kevlar101

European Theater > Pacific Theater. p>AgentA-Mi6

:lol: No.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

I liked BoB better. Not sure why

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AgentA-Mi6
[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"]

European Theater > Pacific Theater. p>Kevlar101

YES. Japan never stood a chance, Germany did and the blew it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"]

European Theater > Pacific Theater. p>AgentA-Mi6

Germany never stood a chance either in the long term. Logistically, they were going to fail.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AgentA-Mi6

[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"][QUOTE="Kevlar101"] :lol: No.sonicare

Germany never stood a chance either in the long term. Logistically, they were going to fail.

All they had to do was focus on taking Englad, eventually the United Kingdom would have fallen from a carefully planned, strategic starvation with the German Unterseeboots surrounding the british isles. They were going to fail, logistically because the Russian landmass cant be taken and held long enough to stop their war industry from Mass producing the hardware needed to push invading forces back, there was of course lend lease which basically kept them from starving and gave them an actual chance to fight back. The subject is basically as cut and dry as it gets. Eventually, German air superiority would have done the RAF and germany would have won a second world war without a Russian invasion.

Japan never really stood a chance against the United States,, at all if the Pearl Harbor strike didn't make them lift the oil embargo from the sheer amount of fear then they had basically sucker punched the U.S ans were ****ed.

mrmarrero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrmarrero
Member since 2007 • 343 Posts

I've got to gove it to Band of Brothers. While Pacific was only a successor in spirit, I'm always inclined to give my nod to the original...

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
BoB was crazy good. I have the DVD set still on HD!
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
Band of Brothers....no contest. The Pacific went a bit much in the personal relationships department.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I have watched all of The Pacific and most of BoB and to compare one with the other is way out there. Both were made differently and both featured different entities. BoB was about a unit from D-Day until the end of the war, The Pacific was about threee Marines and their trails and tribulations before, during and after (in at least one case) the war. It's apples and oranges.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

I have watched all of The Pacific and most of BoB and to compare one with the other is way out there. Both were made differently and both featured different entities. BoB was about a unit from D-Day until the end of the war, The Pacific was about threee Marines and their trails and tribulations before, during and after (in at least one case) the war. It's apples and oranges.

WhiteKnight77
I think they can be compared....
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Band of Brothers was a lot more engaging than The Pacific. The final episode of Band of Brothers was amazingly well done. The soldiers playing baseball right before they find out the war is over is probably one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I really need to watch Band of Brothers. I've heard a lot of good things but have never gotten around to watching it.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Band of Brothers by a sizable margin. It took me half of The Pacific to figure out who everyone was, and I never really connected with either of the characters (although Snafu was amazing). This could have been rectified with a boot camp episode ala BoB, but this would still be undermined by the fact that it covers three different men in different units. The transitions between the big three characters were often sudden and disorienting, and then you have the Australia episode that made the pacing slam into a brick wall at 90mph. They simply tried to cram way too much into too small of a package.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
I like the Pacific because its grittier, it focuses on less characters, and the sound effects aren't weak.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

I understand why people would choose BoB but I have to say my bias with my fascination of the Pacific Campaign led me to enjoy the Pacific more. That and

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Verge_6
the sound effects aren't weak. lonewolf604
The sound effects in BoB were almost entirely spot on, at least regarding weapon reports.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The Pacific was fantastic, this is true, but Band of Brothers is even better.

Legatus_Victix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Legatus_Victix
Member since 2012 • 144 Posts
BAND OF BROTHERS!!!!! The problem with The Pacific is the lack of quality scripting that Band of Brothers recieved. BoB was truely a masterful scrip, with interesting characters, historical portrayals of both the Allies and Third Reich, as well as a healthy dose of combat scenes. The Pacific is too weakly scripted and there seems to be more fillers of sex in it than anything else to keep viewers watching lol
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Much preferred 'The Pacific', but both are great.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lonewolf604
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"] the sound effects aren't weak. Verge_6
The sound effects in BoB were almost entirely spot on, at least regarding weapon reports.

I did not like the sound of the Garand or the 30 cal. machine gun, especially the latter. It sounded too chirpy.
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kevlar101
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"] the sound effects aren't weak. lonewolf604

I did not like the sound of the Garand or the 30 cal. machine gun, especially the latter. It sounded too chirpy.

I admit, since the M1 Garand is my favorite WW2 era military small arm, I was disappointed by the sound it made in BoB....... and there were not enough Garands in The Pacific. In 'The Pacific, Carbines kind of replaced the Garand. In reality, Garands were used just as much in the Pacific Theatre as they were in Europe.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Generation Kill.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kevlar101

Generation Kill.

Slow_Show
Dats not a choice!
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wis3boi

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"] the sound effects aren't weak. Verge_6

yeah they sound exactly like firing range recordings

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kevlar101

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"] the sound effects aren't weak. wis3boi

Can't tell if trolling.....
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"] The sound effects in BoB were almost entirely spot on, at least regarding weapon reports.Kevlar101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwW31u6wYvE mg42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRdPIW8-yXs&t=2m50s tommy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5q29wnzks&feature=related grease gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O38a_Bx18RU mp40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9AwgIkSReI garand

and i opened up my digital copies of BoB, they are very very close

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kevlar101

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Well, actually, I watched "The Making of Band of Brothers", and the specifically say that blank ammo is used during filming, so its not taped over sound effects, its actual sound that is filmed directly, not edited (save for making the weapon sounds louder, of course)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"]Can't tell if trolling.....Kevlar101

Well, actually, I watched "The Making of Band of Brothers", and the specifically say that blank ammo is used during filming, so its not taped over sound effects, its actual sound that is filmed directly, not edited (save for making the weapon sounds louder, of course)

well yeah its not going to be perfect, then they add even more for background noise

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kevlar101

wis3boi

well yeah its not going to be perfect, then they add even more for background noise

huh
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
They're both fantastic, BoB is better but not by much, though it did take another viewing for The Pacific for it to sink in since I was expecting another BoB at first. A lot of your points against it are pretty weird, too much sex? Really, there's like 2 episodes that have any and one of them is showing the troops off duty in Australia after being in hell of course they're going to have sex. And your points about the characters don't much sense either, the show was never supposed to be Band of Brothers 2, it focuses on Sledge, Ledge and to some extent Basilone, rather than one big group like BoB did. Basilone is portrayed as a "super hero" because he freaking was, he did everything they showed and more in real life.
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kevlar101
They're both fantastic, BoB is better but not by much, though it did take another viewing for The Pacific for it to sink in since I was expecting another BoB at first. A lot of your points against it are pretty weird, too much sex? Really, there's like 2 episodes that have any and one of them is showing the troops off duty in Australia after being in hell of course they're going to have sex. And your points about the characters don't much sense either, the show was never supposed to be Band of Brothers 2, it focuses on Sledge, Ledge and to some extent Basilone, rather than one big group like BoB did. Basilone is portrayed as a "super hero" because he freaking was, he did everything they showed and more in real life. bobbetybob
Basilones character was cheap. I was GLAD when he died, because it took away that "super-soldier" feeling. He WAS a hero, in real life, but to me, it was portrayed very poorly in the movie.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Verge_6

I did not like the sound of the Garand or the 30 cal. machine gun, especially the latter. It sounded too chirpy.lonewolf604

I can't remark on the M1919, as I've yet to fire one (although that should change soon). The Garand's report was quite accurate, although I will say that when the rifle is right in front of the flipping camera it needs to have more oomph, as usually a more distant report is used then. About the only time my Garand doesn't sound as it does in BoB is when I'm right behind it, which is 90% of the time.

wis3boi

Firing range recordings aren't a real good way of getting legit weapon reports, as there's almost always a rafter of some sort overhead, if it's not entirely enclosed. This reduces nearly any report to an indistinctive cacophony that reverberates over itself time and time again. The MP-7 firing next to me a couple of weeks ago in the enclosed firing range sounded no different from my Mauser C-96, for example. The reports in Heat's famous shootout scene were clearly recorded in an enclosed setting, as they are much, much to loud for where the shooting was taking place in the film.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Band of Brothers, hands down. The Pacific had its moments but overall BoB felt more fluid and had much more memorable/likeable characters. The Pacific's epilogue was more emotionally impactful though, at least for me.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Verge_6

wis3boi

Pretty much this, but I don't know how they managed to get the Thompson to sound as it did in BoB without it being indoor. My sole experience shooting one was indoors, and it matched that ripping sound you hear in BoB perfectly. Outside, as seen in your link, you get the distinctive "typewriter" report that earned it its infamous nickname.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#42 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
I liked The Pacific more. Maybe it's because that theater interests me more, but I liked those characters more.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like both.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
They are both good, but The Pacific tends to get uncomfortable to watch with some of the battle scenes on the islands..
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Band Of Brothers but both were great. However I prefer Letters to Iwo Jima than The pacific, it's a movie not a mini-series and focuses on just Iwo Jima but still brilliant.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

Band of Brothers by a mile. But thats mostly because im really interested in the ETO and i've been to most of the locations + Ronald Speirs was fking badass

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#47 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Band of Brothers is superior to most tv series'

The Pacific, whilst still being good, is nothing compared to Band of Brothers

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lonewolf604

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"]Can't tell if trolling.....Verge_6

Pretty much this, but I don't know how they managed to get the Thompson to sound as it did in BoB without it being indoor. My sole experience shooting one was indoors, and it matched that ripping sound you hear in BoB perfectly. Outside, as seen in your link, you get the distinctive "typewriter" report that earned it its infamous nickname.

Realistic or not, I would have preferred the mix to have a bit more bass pop, because the guns had too much treble for my liking.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

lonewolf604

Realistic or not, I would have preferred the mix to have a bit more bass pop, because the guns had too much treble for my liking.

Most firearms aren't exactly bass-oriented in terms of sound. Those that are are either huge (Browning .50 or any heavy machinegun for that matter) or have an insane rate of fire (MG-42, which was portrayed absolutely wonderfully in the series). Rifles like the AR-15 and M1 Carbine (also captured perfectly) are particularly high pitched in their reports. There's a lot involved in how a gun sounds when it goes off, and things like humidity, weather, distance, and topography can completely alter it. That is one thing they bungled in BoB, a Garand fired in the hedgerows of Normandy is not going to sound the same as one fired in the snowy landscape of the Ardennes, and it sounded the same whether it was being fired from a foot away or 50 yards.

Unless your in an enclosed setting like a firing range though, nearly all rifles, pistols, carbines, etc. are going to have a surprising amount of treble. Not saying you're wrong for wanting the guns to have more oomph to 'em, no one likes to hear a weakass gun report if they can help it (I used a BoB soundpack to replace the joke that was the weapon audio in BF1942). But what you heard in the series was, for the most part, as it should have been. Then again, I'm an avid WWII and weapons buff, so I'm a stickler for authenticity.

I'm honestly just glad they didn't use that canned M-60 sound effect that far too many have been using for any automatic weapon report.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kevlar101
They are both good, but The Pacific tends to get uncomfortable to watch with some of the battle scenes on the islands..sSubZerOo
How so ?