Attorney General Holder says he will enforce marijuana laws in California

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

SAN FRANCISCO — Attorney General Eric Holder says the federal government will enforce its marijuana laws in California even if voters next month make the state the first in the nation to legalize the drug.

The state has clashed with federal authorities over marijuana since 1996.

Story here

Under federal law, marijuana is still strictly illegal. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the federal government has the right to enforce its ban regardless of state law.

Thoughts?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Good. It's still against federal law weather or not CA wants to ignore that fact or not.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

So, he's got enough time to enforce marijuana laws, but he doesn't have enough time to enforce voting rights laws.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

What?!?!?!?! THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION WON'T HELP THE MOST LIBERAL STATE IN THE COUNTRY?!?!?!

I guess I can't scream discrimination anymore.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

So, he's got enough time to enforce marijuana laws, but he doesn't have enough time to enforce voting rights laws.

aransom

Hmm?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

What?!?!?!?! THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION WON'T HELP THE MOST LIBERAL STATE IN THE COUNTRY?!?!?!

I guess I can't scream discrimination anymore.

airshocker
I'm guessing the movement's got to build a little more steam outside California first. Obama's got his popularity to consider.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I'm curious whether those who were outraged at the federal government suing Arizona over their immigration policies will also react similarly to this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I'm guessing the movement's got to build a little more steam outside California first. Obama's got his popularity to consider.jimmyjammer69

Only for two more years. :)

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I'm guessing the movement's got to build a little more steam outside California first. Obama's got his popularity to consider.airshocker

Only for two more years. :)

Booyah! :P

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I'm guessing the movement's got to build a little more steam outside California first. Obama's got his popularity to consider.airshocker

Only for six more years. :)

Fixed. :P

SJGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SJGuy
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

Ok but good luck with that because Arnold just signed into law a new bill that makes it an infraction if it's an ounce or under. So if they want to try to bust people for personal use, they won't get very far. If caught with it now, you pay a $100 fine and that's it. No jail time, no criminal record. So it practically is legal already and they can't do anything about this law since it's still technically illegal still. I like it this way, because if this other law in November passes, people would have to pay $50 tax on every ounce. I'd rather just walk around with $100 in my pocket in case I get caught with it and pay the fine on that rare occasion, rather than pay $50 tax on it everytime I buy it. I mean if the DEA is really trying to fight California over this, they already lost, even if this other law doesn't pass in November.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-10-02/news/24108322_1_marijuana-initiative-pot-possession-sb1449

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700

I'm curious whether those who were outraged at the federal government suing Arizona over their immigration policies will also react similarly to this.

GabuEx

The two aren't comparable. Marijuana is illegal in the US. Period. Arizona's immigration policies are up for debate on where it stands.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Booyah! :P

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Former_Slacker

Want to bet? :)

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Former_Slacker

Ok but good luck with that because Arnold just signed into law a new bill that makes it an infraction if it's an ounce or under. So if they want to try to bust people for personal use, they won't get very far. If caught with it now, you pay a $100 fine and that's it. No jail time, no criminal record. So it practically is legal already and they can't do anything about this law since it's still technically illegal still. I like it this way, because if it passes, people would have to pay $50 tax on every ounce. I'd rather just walk around with $100 in my pocket in case I get caught with it and pay the fine on that rare occasion, rather than pay $50 tax on it everytime I buy it. I mean if the DEA is really trying to fight California over this, they already lost, even if this other law doesn't pass in November.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-10-02/news/24108322_1_marijuana-initiative-pot-possession-sb1449

SJGuy

Massachusetts has had an ounce or less of marijuana decriminalized since 2008. Regardless it doesn't challenge the fact that marijuana is illegal, it just changes the punishment.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]I'm curious whether those who were outraged at the federal government suing Arizona over their immigration policies will also react similarly to this.Pirate700
The two aren't comparable. Marijuana is illegal in the US. Period. Arizona's immigration policies are up for debate on where it stands.

In both situations, someone at the federal level is disagreeing with a state law.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

airshocker

Want to bet? :)

I plan on moving out of the country before the end of the decade so no, not really.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]I'm curious whether those who were outraged at the federal government suing Arizona over their immigration policies will also react similarly to this.scorch-62

In both situations, someone at the federal level is disagreeing with a state law.

The difference is one is unquestionably illegal. The other isn't. Thus the government suing AZ, IMO is idiotic and this case isn't.

Dalo12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dalo12345
Member since 2007 • 800 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Pirate700

Apparently people only support the Tenth Amendment if they like what the state in question is doing. Either way, this is garbage. Tenth Amendment still stands, whether in California or in Arizona.
SJGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SJGuy

Massachusetts has had an ounce or less of marijuana decriminalized since 2008. Regardless it doesn't challenge the fact that marijuana is illegal, it just changes the punishment.

Former_Slacker

Like I said, technically it's still illegal, but as far as I'm concerned, that's just a word. Whatever word you call it by, ether way, I can still walk down the street smoking it and the worst that will happen is I'll have to cough up $100. It's still cheaper to me than if it's legalized and I have to pay $50 tax everytime I buy it. If you want to call that illegal, sure, call it that. But I'd rather it be illegal with a $100 fine when caught, than legal with a $50 tax when purchased. I'm not going to get caught every single time, not even 2 out of 3 times. So it works out better and I save money as long as it's "illegal".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I plan on moving out of the country before the end of the decade so no, not really.

Former_Slacker

Feh, no fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Like I said, technically it's still illegal, but as far as I'm concerned, that's just a word. Whatever word you call it by, ether way, I can still walk down the street smoking it and the worst that will happen is I'll have to cough up $100. It's still cheaper to me than if it's legalized and I have to pay $50 tax everytime I buy it. If you want to call that illegal, sure, call it that. But I'd rather it be illegal with a $100 fine when caught, than legal with a $50 tax when purchased. I'm not going to get caught every single time, not even 2 out of 3 times. So it works out better and I save money as long as it's "illegal".

SJGuy

Not really something to be proud of, killer.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

No he won't. Not in general. Federal law enforcement has much bigger things to deal with.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

The supremacy clause: the bane of states everywhere.

SJGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SJGuy

Not really something to be proud of, killer.

airshocker

Why because YOU determined it's not? Who are you? I'm self-employed and successful. Maybe I'll be like you and suddenly decide that drinking coffee isn't something to be proud of, or eating hamburgers. I'd love to see you try to criticize Richard Branson for smoking pot and compare your life to his. I'm well traveled enough to have a larger view on life than you, obviously. Caffeine is technically illegal in Northern Thailand. Should I be ashamed that I still drink pepsi while I'm there? Try being a little less judgmental, sport. The world is bigger than your town and the culture you were raised in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Why because YOU determined it's not? Who are you? I'm self-employed and successful. Maybe I'll be like you and suddenly decide that drinking coffee isn't something to be proud of, or eating hamburgers. I'd love to see you try to criticize Richard Branson for smoking pot and compare your life to his. I'm well traveled enough to have a larger view on life than you, obviously. Caffeine is technically illegal in Northern Thailand. Should I be ashamed that I still drink pepsi while I'm there? Try being a little less judgmental, sport. The world is bigger than your town and the culture you were raised in.

SJGuy

Last time I checked the general consensus of society is that if you smoke pot you're weak. I'd criticize anybody if I knew they smoked pot. Needing a crutch to help you through life isn't something to be proud of.

Hm, I'd wager you haven't been to nearly as many countries as I have. The Air Force is great that way. It's helped me to sort out my beliefs. Beliefs like a drug-free society is a very good society.

We aren't talking about other countries, though. Just because the welfare state works(kind of) in the EU, doesn't mean we should use it here.

I'm from New York, slick. Our towns are called cities in the midwest. What were you going for?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Throwing your idealistic, ignorant view of life is not something to be proud of either

Stanley09

I suppose it's subjective. I don't like what I've seen drugs do in other countries where it wasn't enforced like it is in the US. I don't really want to see that happen here.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Pirate700

How are the two not comparable? They're both instances of the federal government attempting to trump a state government.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
I'm g lad, I never unserstood why States have so much power in USA.
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts

That's.. stupid. They should just legalize it. The government shouldn't have the ability nor the authority to step in and say that someone cannot use Cannabis. Aside from the long-term damage it may cause, it's rather idiotic to disown the use of an herb that has been used for several years all because two crooked politicians ran a smear campaign against it after one of the politicians had invested into the lumber industry and saw that hemp was a better alternative.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

However, the Fed does not have the man power, or the resources to enforce drug laws on a state level. See their work with imigration.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I'm g lad, I never unserstood why States have so much power in USA.Ringx55

The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says,

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

My lord, every post you make just shouts your atrocious ignorance on the subject, and feeds the stereotype of a powerhungry cop. So your saying if your life long best friend turned out to be a weed smoker all along, you would ditch him? Shame on you.

Anyways, acceptance of weed is increasing, as people are starting to realize the BS behind it(clearly you arent). Its only illegal(as many other drugs are as well) because of money and power. To think otherwise is foolish and sheepish. The gov does not care about your health.

"A crutch to help you get through life"...hmm... not everyone uses drugs to escape reality, many more I would assume use it to EMBRACE reality.

Furher more, ther has NEVER been a society(nor will there everbe)in all of humanity that has not engaged in mind altering behaviour. Magic mushrooms, peyote, ayahuasca, marijuana, etc. Have been usedfor thousands of years, and only now are they made illegal.

Stanley09

Far from powerhungry. Righteous, perhaps. If my best-friend was a pot smoker(he isn't, by the way), I'd absolutely tell him what I thought. Would I ditch him? No. Just like I didn't ditch my Dad when we found out he was an alcoholic. Never too late to stop doing drugs.

There's no BS behind keeping drugs illegal. Sure, it'd be great to have the revenue in taxes, but I like people when they aren't oblivious to life.

How can you embrace something when you have no idea what's going on? That doesn't make sense to me.

They also didn't have some of the concerns that we have today, either. Like keeping our children safe on the streets.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 worlock77

Far from powerhungry. Righteous, perhaps. If my best-friend was a pot smoker(he isn't, by the way), I'd absolutely tell him what I thought. Would I ditch him? No. Just like I didn't ditch my Dad when we found out he was an alcoholic. Never too late to stop doing drugs.

There's no BS behind keeping drugs illegal. Sure, it'd be great to have the revenue in taxes, but I like people when they aren't oblivious to life.

How can you embrace something when you have no idea what's going on? That doesn't make sense to me.

They also didn't have some of the concerns that we have today, either. Like keeping our children safe on the streets.

airshocker

Righteous? Nah. Self-righteous? Yeah.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who smoke a little pot to relax in the evening and who are neither oblivious to life but also probably more successful than you.

Because clearly pot turns people into pedophiles and killers.

omus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 omus101
Member since 2006 • 1392 Posts

That's.. stupid. They should just legalize it. The government should not have the ability nor the authority to step in and say what drugs someone can and cannot do. If someone wants to do crack and ruin their life, that's their choice.GHlegend77

I agree, this whole drug war is a HUGE waste of money

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ringx55
That's.. stupid. They should just legalize it. The government should not have the ability nor the authority to step in and say what drugs someone can and cannot do. If someone wants to do crack and ruin their life, that's their choice.GHlegend77
Because when people are on drugs they can do crazy stupid **** that DOES affect others. Andi t costs the government money when they start to live off of welfare and all their health problems.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worlock77

[QUOTE="GHlegend77"]That's.. stupid. They should just legalize it. The government should not have the ability nor the authority to step in and say what drugs someone can and cannot do. If someone wants to do crack and ruin their life, that's their choice.Ringx55
Because when people are on drugs they can do crazy stupid **** that DOES affect others. Andi t costs the government money when they start to live off of welfare and all their health problems.

Do you believe that alcohol and cigarettes should be legal or illegal?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

[QUOTE="GHlegend77"]That's.. stupid. They should just legalize it. The government should not have the ability nor the authority to step in and say what drugs someone can and cannot do. If someone wants to do crack and ruin their life, that's their choice.omus101

I agree, this whole drug war is a HUGE waste of money

You would say that; you've got an acid blotter for an avatar.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I'm confused. Let's say that California does legalize it. Doesn't that mean that the Californian police and local courts can't arrest or charge anyone for possessing or selling marijuana? Wouldn't this mean that the Government would have to send in federal officers/ agents to deal with the situation? Essentially, would someone in California be able to smoke marijuana directly in front of a California police officer without worrying about being punished? He's only have to worry about an FBI agent or someone along those lines, right?

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ringx55

[QUOTE="Ringx55"][QUOTE="GHlegend77"]That's.. stupid. They should just legalize it. The government should not have the ability nor the authority to step in and say what drugs someone can and cannot do. If someone wants to do crack and ruin their life, that's their choice.worlock77

this conversation isn't going to go anywhere I'm not going to bother... It's always brought up in these kinds of thread "what about alcohol and cigarettes?!". just because their legal doesn't make a good reason to allow more to be.
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
[QUOTE="GHlegend77"]That's.. stupid. They should just legalize it. The government should not have the ability nor the authority to step in and say what drugs someone can and cannot do. If someone wants to do crack and ruin their life, that's their choice.Ringx55

It's a different story when it gets to hurting others, now isn't it? But my brother was busted for possession and attempt to sell. He COULD have gotten 2-5 years in prison. More since he was close to a school zone. HE WASN"T DOING ANYTHING TO HURT ANYONE AT ALL. Since he's 22, he got off easily: Drug court and two years probation. But that was a bit stupid, don't you agree? Anyway, since this a weed debate, and I realize how stupid I sounded saying that, I shall rephrase my wording: "They should just legalize cannabis. The government shouldn't have the ability nor the authority to step in and say that someone cannot use Cannabis. Aside from the long-term damage it may cause, it's rather idiotic to disown the use of an herb that has been used for several years all because two crooked politicians ran a smear campaign against it after one of the politicians had invested into the lumber industry and saw that hemp was a better alternative." That better? ;)
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I wonder if conservatives will cause a fuss about states rights over this. I'm also curious as to how Prop 8 supporters will feel about this if the Justice Department ends up going through with this plan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Righteous? Nah. Self-righteous? Yeah.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who smoke a little pot to relax in the evening and who are neither oblivious to life but also probably more successful than you.

Because clearly pot turns people into pedophiles and killers.

worlock77

To each their own.

I'm not a liberal, remember? I don't mind people being successful.

I meant with cars. My bad.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

[QUOTE="Stanley09"]

My lord, every post you make just shouts your atrocious ignorance on the subject, and feeds the stereotype of a powerhungry cop. So your saying if your life long best friend turned out to be a weed smoker all along, you would ditch him? Shame on you.

Anyways, acceptance of weed is increasing, as people are starting to realize the BS behind it(clearly you arent). Its only illegal(as many other drugs are as well) because of money and power. To think otherwise is foolish and sheepish. The gov does not care about your health.

"A crutch to help you get through life"...hmm... not everyone uses drugs to escape reality, many more I would assume use it to EMBRACE reality.

Furher more, ther has NEVER been a society(nor will there everbe)in all of humanity that has not engaged in mind altering behaviour. Magic mushrooms, peyote, ayahuasca, marijuana, etc. Have been usedfor thousands of years, and only now are they made illegal.

airshocker

Id say your powerhungry if you go that far into someones life and slap a penalty on them for a victimless "crime". How about you go investigate some, ya know, real crimes? If your friend was just a casual weed smoker and a happy person, whats wrong with what he's doing? It works for him.

Actually, there is a lot of BS behind keeping them illegal. Weed being the prime example. The big donors of money to the anti weed campaigns are pharmeseutical because they dont want people growing their own medicine, and tobacco and alcohol, because they want peoples money going to them and not another product. Also, some of the safest drugs out there (psychedelics) are illegal.

Cant embrace life eh? Seems far form the truth considering those who use psychedelic drugs often to consider them to be one of the most significant events of their life. Many things are also realized while on drugs. Take for example, the double helix pattern of DNA. This was discovered while the scientist was on LSD.

Psychedelics have also been proven to be a key element in combating addiction. They saw great rates when using LSD on alcoholics

Keeping our children safe in the streets? Keeping drugs illegal is whats harming the kids. First of all, they can get drugs more easily because a dealer doesnt check ID( though most self decent dealers wont sell to 10 year olds). Not only that, but keeping drugs illegal createsthe 2nd largest (counterfeit being #1) black market in the world, creating violence. Im sure you know of that man killed jet skiing in a lake on the border of Mexico. That isone of manyexamples of violence because of this. If drugs were legal, the drug cartels in mexico would be out of business. The violence in mexico is because of us keeping drugs illegal

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
[QUOTE="Ringx55"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Because when people are on drugs they can do crazy stupid **** that DOES affect others. Andi t costs the government money when they start to live off of welfare and all their health problems.Ringx55

this conversation isn't going to go anywhere I'm not going to bother... It's always brought up in these kinds of thread "what about alcohol and cigarettes?!". just because their legal doesn't make a good reason to allow more to be.

People will use drugs legal or not...people are already living off the welfare system. Legalization would not affect this
Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Choga
Member since 2006 • 2377 Posts

Who cares, illegal or not the chances of getting caught (if you're smart) are very slim.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Dalo12345

Apparently people only support the Tenth Amendment if they like what the state in question is doing. Either way, this is garbage. Tenth Amendment still stands, whether in California or in Arizona.

The federal government > state government. That, too, is in the Constitution.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Ringx55"] Because when people are on drugs they can do crazy stupid **** that DOES affect others. Andi t costs the government money when they start to live off of welfare and all their health problems.Ringx55

No, please, answer.