Athiests: Do you hope for a world with no religion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

I sure do. I dont like the idea of thinking the universe is some way or created by someone based upon faith. science may not have all the answers yet, but thats what makes science fun.

i also dont advocate government force on this, i would like to see everyone generally give up on gods, demons, devils, angels etc

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts

I think that would be really greedy.

I'm religous and I think atheists are free to believe or not, I think it should be the same way around as well.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
I hope for a world where religious people stop trying to force their views down everyone's throats.
Whicker89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Whicker89
Member since 2004 • 18919 Posts
I dont care about the belief in a god, but it annoys me when they make an organisation out of it
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
a world with no religion? then that gets rid of all the fun of scientology, heaven's gate, and the like.
Red-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Red-XIII
Member since 2003 • 2739 Posts
I don't. I believe in freedom of religion and from religion. Meaning that other people shouldn't expect the rest of the world to conform to their views. I would like to see them stop proclaiming 'absolute truth' that requires intangible faith to verify.
Megadeth425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Megadeth425
Member since 2007 • 221 Posts
I hope for a world where religious people stop trying to force their views down everyone's throats. Frattracide
^ This. Let people believe, it's when they start killing other people for naming their invisible space daddy something different that I have a problem.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
Without organised religion, yes. As long as the churches dont make any money out of it, I will be fine.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

I think such an idea is silly beyond measure. Even if religion is naturalistic, our minds are hardwired to believe in God and societies have been "thinking up" religions for all of humanity's existence. It won't stop just because a bunch of atheists don't like it.

If all religion is forcibly destroyed, then science will become the main religion (scientism) and nobody will even notice.

Ryeferd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ryeferd
Member since 2006 • 5198 Posts
I hope for a world where people keep their religion to themselves.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Choice B. I don't have a problem with religion, it's just not for me.
Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hey_Jay
Member since 2004 • 7221 Posts
I hope for a world with no organized religion. The simple belief in a higher power, however, I would leave up to those with faith and those without.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178877 Posts
I hope for a world where no one tries to force their beliefs on others......apparently that won't happen soon.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16046 Posts
Of course. Religions are something that definitely need to be erased, imo. That makes me an atheist as well as an antitheist.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
I'm religious, of course not a "definitive" religion by any means, but I believe a lot of different things (especially regarding life, morality etc.), generally whatever I feel I can believe is true and at least somewhat logical. I believe in a Creationist "God," probably Deistic for obvious reasons, because with our current understanding of things everything has to begin somewhere, and something cannot come from nothing without the help of something transcendent. Nothingness is absolute, perfect, without space, color, time, etc. I have no idea how a tiny particle would form and then explode to create a universe from nonexistence, especially when there's no space for it to appear or "explode" in (Big Bang theory), without the help of some extraordinary being.

All in all, it should be a more personal thing and people should stop forcing beliefs upon others, especially when your views may not agree with their's. That's why I try to pick and choose multiple aspects of religion for myself.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

in the words of Napoleon:

How can you have order in a state without religion? For, when one man is dying of hunger near another who is ill of surfeit, he cannot resign himself to this difference unless there is an authority which declares, 'God wills it thus.' Religion is excellent stuff for keeping people quiet.

Then again, he also said:

I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between Him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creation of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Of course. Religions are something that definitely need to be erased, imo. That makes me an atheist as well as an antithiest.dracula_16
Why should they be erased?
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

I hope that we live in a world where science is the undisputed factor of which all decisions are made, where logic, reason, and factual knowledge would rein supreme over all aspects of government, education, healthcare, agriculture, etc. I want a world where people put more faith in their own skills, abilities and intelligence rather than in the faith usually associated with religion. I want a world where people study the environments around us and use all the information collected to further benefit mankind and help advance civilization in each and every way.

Do I want religion to be gone forever? Absolutely not. My only concern is to keep it out of scientific education, government, social norms, etc.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Only people with a gnostic point of view would ever hope for such a thing. Religion, if anything, is great for stories and mythology. Without being able to think outside the box we wouldn't have as varied or deep artistic history.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo
Nothingness is absolute, perfect, without space, color, time, etc. I have no idea how a tiny particle would form and then explode to create a universe from nonexistence, especially when there's no space for it to appear or "explode" in (Big Bang theory) without the help of some extraordinary being.Saturos3091
The lack of knowledge about the beginning of said small atom is not the existance of some extraordinary being.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts
Maybe not organized religion. I think everyone should develop their own personal philosophies on their own.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
No. I think that people should be free to believe whatever they want as along as they don't behave or act negatively with people for holding different beliefs.
wado-karate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 wado-karate
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts

I hope for a world where religious people stop trying to force their views down everyone's throats. Frattracide

This. People can believe what they like but don't force other people to believe what you do.

EDIT: Why do people make these threads about religions? It gets like 300 posts of people arguing about whats right and wrong.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vandalvideo
Only people with a gnostic point of view would ever hope for such a thing. Religion, if anything, is great for stories and mythology. Without being able to think outside the box we wouldn't have as varied or deep artistic history.foxhound_fox
Religion is so great for that. First, they think outside of the box. Then they build a wall around that, and then subjugate anyone who tries to think outside those walls.
Megadeth425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Megadeth425
our minds are hardwired to believe in GodTheokhoth
Really? Explain, because atheists now make up about 16% of the worldwide population, so I don't think it's quite as instinctive as you may think. Cultures think up religions to answer questions they can't by themselves and allow them to control the populace through fear, not because of some mental reflex.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="dracula_16"]Of course. Religions are something that definitely need to be erased, imo. That makes me an atheist as well as an antithiest.Vandalvideo
Why should they be erased?

Way too many reasons to list...so I'll just go with what pops into my head first. Just the way they try and control people, and try to pollute our children's minds.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]Nothingness is absolute, perfect, without space, color, time, etc. I have no idea how a tiny particle would form and then explode to create a universe from nonexistence, especially when there's no space for it to appear or "explode" in (Big Bang theory) without the help of some extraordinary being.Vandalvideo
The lack of knowledge about the beginning of said small atom is not the existance of some extraordinary being.

I know, but what other way can we explain it until we learn more? And even then, after we explain it's "happening," what caused it? And so forth, it's a never-ending chain. I'm not saying my deistic "God" is sentient by any means, it's just a term for the archetype to explain all that has happened thus far.
Red-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Red-XIII

If all religion is forcibly destroyed, then science will become the main religion (scientism) and nobody will even notice.

Theokhoth

How is science anything like a religion? And how would it become one? I don't see the correlation.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vandalvideo
[I know, but what other way can we explain it until we learn more? And even then, after we explain it's "happening," what caused it, and so forth. It's a never-ending chain. I'm not saying my deistic "God" is sentient by any means, it's just a term for the archetype for all that has happened thus far.Saturos3091
Why should we attempt to explain it? Is it the fear that we simply cannot know? That fear of uncertainty is what drives us to draw up these great schemes to explain things. It has happened since the dawn of man. I don't see why we should still be propigating it.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts
im not talking about religion being forcibly destroyed. Im talking about everyone giving up on it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Religion is so great for that. First, they think outside of the box. Then they build a wall around that, and then subjugate anyone who tries to think outside those walls.Vandalvideo

*shrugs*

Norse mythology is awesome.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I think such an idea is silly beyond measure. Even if religion is naturalistic, our minds are hardwired to believe in God and societies have been "thinking up" religions for all of humanity's existence. It won't stop just because a bunch of atheists don't like it.

Theokhoth

I agree with the first paragraph but man what is up with you and this 'scientism' stuff?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I put "I'm religious - yes" because of the cliche saying "It's not religion, it's a relationship."

The only people Jesus ever condemned were the hyper-religious people who thought themselves righteous.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"][I know, but what other way can we explain it until we learn more? And even then, after we explain it's "happening," what caused it, and so forth. It's a never-ending chain. I'm not saying my deistic "God" is sentient by any means, it's just a term for the archetype for all that has happened thus far.Vandalvideo
Why should we attempt to explain it? Is it the fear that we simply cannot know? That fear of uncertainty is what drives us to draw up these great schemes to explain things. It has happened since the dawn of man. I don't see why we should still be propigating it.

No, it's because of knowledge. That knowledge as to where everything has come from can lead to some future benefits for us in some unforeseen way, I would think. If you could replicate such an event, on a smaller scale of course, it'd be quite easy to see the benefits of it. Perhaps there is some sentient higher power, but you seem to dismiss that, although it is entirely possible.

Plus, it allows man to express his creativity in a different way, and in an egotist sense can lead to a sort of power over followers and fellow believers in your ideas, which is why I think it should be kept personal.
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#35 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts
I think religion is necesary in a way. I think that our society would border on anarchy if we didn't have Some belief. So I dont't hope for a world without religion. I just choose not to participate in it myself.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vandalvideo
No, it's because of knowledge. That knowledge as to where everything has come from can lead to some future benefits for us in some unforeseen way, I would think. If you could replicate such an event, on a smaller scale of course, it'd be quite easy to see the benefits of it. Perhaps there is some sentient higher power, but you seem to dismiss that, although it is entirely possible.Plus, it allows man to express his creativity in a different way, and in an egotist sense can lead to a sort of power over followers and fellow believers in your ideas, which is why I think it should be kept personal.Saturos3091
"I think some imaginery being created us all" is not knowledge, its belief. Belief does not serve the furthering of society in terms of practical, real powers. Can we build cars with god power? Can we build hurricane proof roofs with godomite? Can we pave our roads with god juice? Can we get to the moon on god's back?
Red-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Red-XIII

I put "I'm religious - yes" because of the cliche saying "It's not religion, it's a relationship."

The only people Jesus ever condemned were the hyper-religious people who thought themselves righteous.

mindstorm

You know what's sad is that so many fundamentalists use the Bible as their basis to hate others. I've called some of them up on it and they think they're somehow exempt from 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Theokhoth

Really? ExplainMegadeth425

Read Why Would Anyone Believe in God by Justin Barrett, a European psychologist.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

domatron23

I agree with the first paragraph but man what is up with you and this 'scientism' stuff?

Because a lot of people put their faith in scientism and yet don't even realise it. Even in this very topic people elevate science to be the authority of all, and then go "but religion can never be apart of it," without realising that they have made science their religion, the antithesis of their goal in the first place.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]No, it's because of knowledge. That knowledge as to where everything has come from can lead to some future benefits for us in some unforeseen way, I would think. If you could replicate such an event, on a smaller scale of course, it'd be quite easy to see the benefits of it. Perhaps there is some sentient higher power, but you seem to dismiss that, although it is entirely possible.Plus, it allows man to express his creativity in a different way, and in an egotist sense can lead to a sort of power over followers and fellow believers in your ideas, which is why I think it should be kept personal.Vandalvideo
"I think some imaginery being created us all" is not knowledge, its belief. Belief does not serve the furthering of society in terms of practical, real powers. Can we build cars with god power? Can we build hurricane proof roofs with godomite? Can we pave our roads with god juice? Can we get to the moon on god's back?

I wasn't arguing that. I should've spaced that out into another statement. Of course it is belief. I'm just arguing that dismissing such a thing as "false" is as close-minded as believing that it must be and is.

I was arguing that repercussions of the knowledge relating the events behind what created the universe, and just our universe, could be useful to our society in foreseeable ways. If we knew how to use the expansion of the particle (again relating to Big Bang) to create, we could perhaps create our own planets/satellites to mine for resources, etc. It's a big gamble that the knowledge will be useful, but so are a ton of scientific developments in today's fields.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vandalvideo
I'm just arguing that dismissing such a thing as "false" is as close-minded as believing that it must be and is.I was arguing that repercussions of the knowledge relating the events behind what created the universe, and just our universe, could be useful to our society in foreseeable ways. If we knew how to use the expansion of the particle (again relating to Big Bang) to create, we could perhaps create our own planets/satellites to mine for resources, etc. It's a big gamble that the knowledge will be useful, but so are a ton of scientific developments in today's fields.Saturos3091
I didn't say it was false. I said that sticking your finger into science and swirling it around isn't helping science, its hindering it. Beliefs shouldn't constitute knowledge. It is fine and dandy if you believe in something. Far be it for me to discredit you. Heck, as a conceptualist I'm more than willing to accept your beliefs.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]No, it's because of knowledge. That knowledge as to where everything has come from can lead to some future benefits for us in some unforeseen way, I would think. If you could replicate such an event, on a smaller scale of course, it'd be quite easy to see the benefits of it. Perhaps there is some sentient higher power, but you seem to dismiss that, although it is entirely possible.Plus, it allows man to express his creativity in a different way, and in an egotist sense can lead to a sort of power over followers and fellow believers in your ideas, which is why I think it should be kept personal.Vandalvideo
"I think some imaginery being created us all" is not knowledge, its belief.

If someone believes in a being that created us all, then odds are he doesn't believe that being to be imaginary.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vandalvideo
If someone believes in a being that created us all, then odds are he doesn't believe that being to be imaginary.Theokhoth
Do we really want to get into a debate about epistemology? I don't think this is the thread for that.
Megadeth425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Megadeth425

[QUOTE="Megadeth425"]Really? ExplainTheokhoth

Read Why Would Anyone Believe in God by Justin Barrett, a European psychologist.

Summarise it. I'm not going to go out, try to find, buy, and then read read a book. If you're going to argue something, cite it, summarise it, give me quotes from it, but don't tell me to just read it. It's not on me to provide your burden of evidence.
Red-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Red-XIII
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Because a lot of people put their faith in scientism and yet don't even realise it. Even in this very topic people elevate science to be the authority of all, and then go "but religion can never be apart of it."

I don't think I've ever read science as an 'ism' or something that requires faith to associate with. What more authority can their be besides the physical world in which we inhabit?

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
as long as that means people stay civil. but i doubt it, so i think more people should be religious. they just shouldnt believe every single thing the church tells them.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Vandalvideo
What more authority can their be besides the physical world in which we inhabit?Red-XIII
The interpreter of empirical phenomenon holds more power than the world itself. In short? We are a higher authority than science.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Because a lot of people put their faith in scientism and yet don't even realise it. Even in this very topic people elevate science to be the authority of all, and then go "but religion can never be apart of it," without realising that they have made science their religion, the antithesis of their goal in the first place.

How does science require faith? Oh and could you define exactly what you mean by scientism.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"] I'm just arguing that dismissing such a thing as "false" is as close-minded as believing that it must be and is.I was arguing that repercussions of the knowledge relating the events behind what created the universe, and just our universe, could be useful to our society in foreseeable ways. If we knew how to use the expansion of the particle (again relating to Big Bang) to create, we could perhaps create our own planets/satellites to mine for resources, etc. It's a big gamble that the knowledge will be useful, but so are a ton of scientific developments in today's fields.Vandalvideo
I didn't say it was false. I said that sticking your finger into science and swirling it around isn't helping science, its hindering it. Beliefs shouldn't constitute knowledge. It is fine and dandy if you believe in something. Far be it for me to discredit you. Heck, as a conceptualist I'm more than willing to accept your beliefs.

Oh, I agree. Beliefs definately do not constitute knowledge. I was never arguing such a thing.

I still think the knowledge of how the universe was created, be it far from a "god"-related event, could have some scientific benefits for us. I don't see why we shouldn't pursue such understanding of the event.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vandalvideo
I don't see why we shouldn't pursue such understanding of the eventSaturos3091
We can *purse an understanding* AKA knowledge. But we can't *pursue an ideal* AKA belief.