Atheists, do you really believe there is no god?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I still wouldn't say our universe is very balanced and harmonious. I don't have another universe to compare it to, but linked to our own situation it comes across as pretty violent and overall not very welcoming to life in any form. It's full of colliding galaxies, unstable stars, solar storms, scorching heats, freezing colds and lots randomness.... A big pool of elements whirled together. We are very lucky that the spec of dust we live on is situated in a pretty calm spot in our galaxy in a thinly clustered location in the universe. But this all could change, we're so fragile, it could all be wiped out in the blink of an eye. Maybe it's doing a great job as a universe, but for living creatures it's quite a nightmare haha.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Again you're saying its balanced and ordered. How do we measure our universe to be ordered as opposed to chaotic? We don't have anything else to really compare it to.

There could be a possibility that are universe is more chaotic and less tuned to supporting life than countless other universes should they exist.

We're aware of the concepts of order and balance aren't we? We're aware of them conceptually and cognitively aren't we? We're aware of them in their abstract definitions regardless of context and their application in the physical world. What happens is that we take those concepts and apply them on different contexts in the physical world, in the most general sense of the word physical.

Comparison requires two or more of the same thing while relativity doesn't. The fact that we only know of this universe doesn't stop us from assessing or attempting to assess its degree of order and balance. We need more universes to find out which has more of these attributes or concepts which is something that is irrelevant to this discussion.

No, as order would imply that we have something disorderly to compare it to. With a sample size of one, we don't. For example, if we found an ancient skull of an extinct species of dinosaur with no other specimens would couldn't come to the conclusion that it was a large or small member of its species. We could only measure the spacial dimensions and specifications of the skull.

What you're doing is basically invoking the anthropic principle.

By saying its ordered and harmonious you're implying that these laws were designed specifically for humans to come into existence. The problem being with that line of thinking is that you're basically reversing the cause and effect.

Instead of this universe being tuned to house us, its far more likely that we (as in life) adapted to the universe instead.

I never said anything about the world being specially designed for humans to live in, don't put words in my mouth.

We can agree to disagree. I can't see how one can look at the most basic laws governing the universe and say there is no order. But to each his own.

ExtremeBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ExtremeBanana
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts

@GazaAli: PWND

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GazaAli

@ExtremeBanana said:

@GazaAli: PWND

You made a new account just to say that rofl

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#55 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@thegerg said:

@s_h_a_d_o: Are you atheist? Whether or not you're agnostic has nothing to do with the question.

Your failure to differentiate between two mutually exclusive states, precludes me even bothering to engage in debate with you. :|

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

@sonicare said:

I'm not the best writer, so I will try to explain. I don't mean believing in one of the gods of the organized religions. I mean anything. Some organized force or energy, behind the universe. It's just hard to accept that everything came about just randomly. That all these laws of the universe and space-time, so orderly, just came out of chaos. I'd have no idea what this force would be about, but maybe there is something out there. I often think about the beginning of the universe, before time started, when the laws that govern what we know didnt exist. Where did all that matter that caused the big bang originate from? That kind of stuff.

This isnt an anti religion or anti atheist thread. Just curious what a lot of scientific minds think about this stuff.

Sounds like you are 'Agnostic"

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By s_h_a_d_o

@thegerg said:

@s_h_a_d_o: Being agnostic does not, in any way, prevent you from being theistic or atheistic. Ignorance FTL.

Bullshit. That would be a hypocritical stance.

As an agnostic, one keeps one's mind open to all possibilities... predetermination without proof is the antithesis of agnosticism.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

No, as order would imply that we have something disorderly to compare it to. With a sample size of one, we don't. For example, if we found an ancient skull of an extinct species of dinosaur with no other specimens would couldn't come to the conclusion that it was a large or small member of its species. We could only measure the spacial dimensions and specifications of the skull.

What you're doing is basically invoking the anthropic principle.

By saying its ordered and harmonious you're implying that these laws were designed specifically for humans to come into existence. The problem being with that line of thinking is that you're basically reversing the cause and effect.

Instead of this universe being tuned to house us, its far more likely that we (as in life) adapted to the universe instead.

I never said anything about the world being specially designed for humans to live in, don't put words in my mouth.

We can agree to disagree. I can't see how one can look at the most basic laws governing the universe and say there is no order. But to each his own.

Well in my experiences most of the time people bring up 'order', 'balance', or 'finely tuned' when arguing for a creator of the universe it devolves into the anthropic principle.

Do I see some order in the universe? Sure. But I also see chaos and disarray. We really don't have any other specimen to compare it too. Using this subjective measure of order is hardly evidence as to a creator.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Order and harmony?

Tell that to the satellite galaxy that our Milky Way is currently devouring.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 s_h_a_d_o

@thegerg said:

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@thegerg said:

@s_h_a_d_o: Being agnostic does not, in any way, prevent you from being theistic or atheistic. Ignorance FTL.

As an agnostic, one keeps one's mind open to all possibilities... predetermination without proof is the antithesis of agnosticism.

No.

An agnostic is someone who believes that whether or not a god exists is not or can not be known. That doesn't mean that they can't have belief one way or another.

Theism/atheism concerns the belief in the existence of a god. Gnosticism/agnosticism concerns knowledge about the existence of a god.

"Agnosticism is the belief that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, as well as other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown."

Oh good... a Wikipaedia cut-and-paster. :|

Don't bother replying

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

@TheFlush said:

I still wouldn't say our universe is very balanced and harmonious. I don't have another universe to compare it to, but linked to our own situation it comes across as pretty violent and overall not very welcoming to life in any form. It's full of colliding galaxies, unstable stars, solar storms, scorching heats, freezing colds and lots randomness.... A big pool of elements whirled together. We are very lucky that the spec of dust we live on is situated in a pretty calm spot in our galaxy in a thinly clustered location in the universe. But this all could change, we're so fragile, it could all be wiped out in the blink of an eye. Maybe it's doing a great job as a universe, but for living creatures it's quite a nightmare haha.

Colliding galaxies, exploding stars, freezing temperatures are all conceptually relative to your own human body. A freezing temperature contrasted with an extremely hot temperature is only defined as such relative to your being able to experience them as hot or cold. Objectively they go together, as do exploding stars and collisions between galaxies. Without these supposed 'violent' events your or I wouldn't be where we are right now.

The fruit flies in your kitchen are just as much a part of the universe as the colliding galaxies are.

BravoOneActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By BravoOneActual
Member since 2010 • 799 Posts

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't dare weigh in, but this thing is plastered all over myfeed.

So, if "theism" boils down to whether or not God (or whatever deity) exists and "Gnosticism" is all about seeking knowledge as to whether God (or whatever deity) exists, what is it called when you believe God (or whatever deity) exists, but you just don't know if They give a sh*t or not? Or to what degree a sh*t is given, if any.

Is there a name for that?

Thanks in advance.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GazaAli

@BravoOneActual said:

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't dare weigh in, but this thing is plastered all over myfeed.

So, if "theism" boils down to whether or not God (or whatever deity) exists and "Gnosticism" is all about seeking knowledge as to whether God (or whatever deity) exists, what is it called when you believe God (or whatever deity) exists, but you just don't know if They give a sh*t or not? Or to what degree a sh*t is given, if any.

Is there a name for that?

Thanks in advance.

Its the doctrine of shitcism

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@syztem said:

Order and harmony?

Tell that to the satellite galaxy that our Milky Way is currently devouring.

Or the ones that it's devoured before. Not to mention that our galaxy and M31 are most likely looking at a head-on collision in a few billion years.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@thegerg said:

Agnosticism isn't a belief, it's a state of knowledge regarding a belief. Agnosticism is the admittance to not knowing "why" you believe what you do. You are either an agnostic atheist, or an agnostic theist. You believe one way, but ultimately do not know why you do. Saying "I don't know" isn't a belief. You either accept the existence of a deity, force or whatever, or you don't, and are either actively seeking the answer, or do not care.

You cannot exist in a state of belief limbo, between the two.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@TheFlush said:

I don't believe there is an all knowing, all controlling, sentient, thinking something no.

There's probably some natural force behind all this, but I don't believe it has the specifics to define it as god.

Let alone one of the many religions here on this insignificant planet.

What is the rationale behind this? The universe is clearly a work of absolute harmony, balance and order. The complexity and sophistication of the laws that govern all that exists are of astronomical magnitude. Concepts like space, time, organic life, chemistry, physics, mathematics and practically every concept or notion behind anything that exists whether materially or conceptually are of miraculous and phenomenal intuitiveness, cognizance, originality and creativity.

With that said, how can one reach the conclusion or accept the mere possibility that this is not the work of an all controlling, sentient, thinking being but instead the work of some vague natural force; an argument which I think is meant to reject and deny the argument of the existence of a sentient God that is aware of us all and is all seeing, hearing and knowing of all that ever existed and will ever do.

Argument from ignorance fallacy: Because I don't know, magic solves it all.

Everything we know about the universe functions on it's own naturally. We are the current state of atoms in this universe. You have only one universe and no others to compare it to and are contributing human concepts to nonliving matter.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GazaAli

I'll cut my dick and feed it to the dogs if I ever participated again in a religious topic.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

Why should atheists be on the defensive of explaining themselves? It's religious people saying that something exists when there's no proof.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

No, not saying it's not possible though.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By wis3boi

@GazaAli said:

I'll cut my dick and feed it to the dogs if I ever participated again in a religious topic.

Might be a good time to reflect on why it makes you and others feel very uncomfortable when trying to defend an unreasonable position

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GazaAli

@wis3boi said:

@GazaAli said:

Might be a good time to reflect on why it makes you and others feel very uncomfortable when trying to defend an unreasonable position

No shit wis3boy, you're trying to convert me? Awwww :3

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

atheist are like EMO .... they hate everything

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I believe there is a God, or something a long the lines of it. However, what I don't believe is a lot of what is in the Bible or what is taught in most Church's.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By wis3boi

@GazaAli said:

@wis3boi said:

@GazaAli said:

No shit wis3boy, you're trying to convert me? Awwww :3

I cannot convert anybody, nor is it my job. I can open the door, they must walk through. Point being, the reason so many people get aggravated when trying to defend a deity, is because they get to a point where they realize they cannot do it at all. If they had a great reason to believe, and it was actual evidence (that can be shared to others and isn't appeals to emotion of lack of knowledge) then we'd all believe. What's not the real issue is what someone believes, it's the why. And I can never get an answer that stands on solid ground

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@GazaAli said:

People aren't attacking you in any hurtful way here. Is it so bad to simply engage in a discussion that may actually make you examine certain held positions critically? Does that really make you THAT uncomfortable?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#80 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@sonicare said:

I'm not the best writer, so I will try to explain. I don't mean believing in one of the gods of the organized religions. I mean anything. Some organized force or energy, behind the universe. It's just hard to accept that everything came about just randomly. That all these laws of the universe and space-time, so orderly, just came out of chaos. I'd have no idea what this force would be about, but maybe there is something out there. I often think about the beginning of the universe, before time started, when the laws that govern what we know didnt exist. Where did all that matter that caused the big bang originate from? That kind of stuff.

This isnt an anti religion or anti atheist thread. Just curious what a lot of scientific minds think about this stuff.

If I were an atheist, I would still wonder what caused the laws of the universe to be and what propagates their continued effects in a holistic sense.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

Just because we don't have all of the answers doesn't mean that a higher being is the answer. In fact, a higher being brings a lot more questions to the table than we already have (That is, it answers nothing). It's just completely unnecessary when there's not even the smallest reason to believe there is actually a higher power.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@MarioFan264 said:

Just because we don't have all of the answers doesn't mean that a higher being is the answer. In fact, a higher being brings a lot more questions to the table than we already have (That is, it answers nothing). It's just completely unnecessary when there's not even the smallest reason to believe there is actually a higher power.

Well said, but the odds we are the highest power in the universe isn't favored. Anything is possible right?

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Yes, I believe there is no God and it's all a load of shit.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#84 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Erm, well that's kind of the point of Atheism.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#86 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

@thegerg said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

Erm, well that's kind of the point of Atheism.

Since when does atheism have a point?

Since when does anything have a point #XXxxnihlismftwblazeitanarchy420xxXX

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

Yes, I believe there is no God and it's all a load of shit.

This sums it up accurately.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GazaAli

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

People aren't attacking you in any hurtful way here. Is it so bad to simply engage in a discussion that may actually make you examine certain held positions critically? Does that really make you THAT uncomfortable?

That is the point, the issue itself doesn't make me uncomfortable or anything I never said so. Its the feeling that you're bashing your head to a wall. Not because you're not agreeing with me, but because I feel that I'm failing to make my ideas go through as I intend them to. For example here you're suggesting that I'm uncomfortable about the thing while in fact I'm not. The feeling that I'm being perceived in a incorrect way pisses me off. People have such strong perceptions and convictions about the topic of religion that it makes it nearly impossible to have an unbiased, rational and meaningful debate about the topic. Most of the replies are stupid oneliners or are intended to discredit you at all cost, even at the cost of rationality and consistency.

Also maybe I'm coming off in an unintended distorted way which is why I get this kind of reactions. In one topic we were discussing homosexuality being a choice or not. I firmly believe it is in the sense that you choose whether to act on the urges or not. Everyone in that topic blasted and barraged me and I couldn't make sense of it until one user stepped up and told me that people are wary about the argument that homosexuality is a choice because its used by Christians in the west to "criminalize" homosexuals as sinners, while in fact I didn't have this in mind whatsoever. I was coming from a completely secular point of view.
I come from a completely different background while most of you share the same one, give or take. It can be challenging to successfully get an idea or a point of view through or receive one for that matter. Specially that I come from a place which is completely cut out from the rest of the world.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Gods may exist, but as there is currently no evidence to suggest that any god has ever existed or does currently exist it isn't very logical to believe in them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#90  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@theone86: Thanks. That's kind of the response I was looking for. I just cant quite grasp what things were like before time came into existence. Before the laws of the universe were the laws of the universe.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@thegerg said:

@THE_DRUGGIE: ?

Don't take everything so serious.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

settle down folks... Ron's got it figured out already.

Loading Video...

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

No

Dentonj1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Dentonj1285
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I would be terrified to find out there was a god. Just on the basis of the terrifying state that this world is in.

-INKling-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 -INKling-
Member since 2007 • 4237 Posts

@deeliman said:

Of course, I can never say with 100% certainty that there is no 'god'. Just like I can't say with 100% certainty that leprechauns don't exist. Personally, I believe that the idea that an all powerful being created this universe is both a simplistic answer and illogical.

Well I was hoping to put my view forward here but when the first response gets it so right (for me) then I am left with 'what he said.'

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#100  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Nope. At least not in a sentient being. Randomness made what is known today. Its not a couple of dozen years process but millions and millions of years process so off course sometime it would result in some kind of "order" and what we call "life"

sorry for the bad english