Atheism is a religion.

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Atheism is a religion. Any teaching that deals with us after death is a religion. Sorry to burst your bubble, but atheist you are a member of a religion. They run the groups with the same setup as a church, members, contributions, leaders, and the spreading of their doctrines (teachings) and just like a church, their are several different groups with different teachings.
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

K then. I'm reverend ScorpionTroll of the Church of what's heppening now.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

s7MRw.gif.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

Not according to the definition of the word.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jebus213

lundy86_4
dose not have to have god 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. 2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: 3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Please put some effort next time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Atheists don't have a belief in god.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Jebus213

dose not have to have god 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. 2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: 3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

Where is your definition from?

Being an atheist is not believing in a deity. It would be a stretch to denote that the "belief" constitutes a form of religion. It's reaching.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Atheism is a religion. Any teaching that deals with us after death is a religion. Sorry to burst your bubble, but atheist you are a member of a religion. They run the groups with the same setup as a church, members, contributions, leaders, and the spreading of their doctrines (teachings) and just like a church, their are several different groups with different teachings.Jebus213

That's just like... your "opinion" man.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

Atheists don't have a religion.

Aljosa23
Fixed. God has nothing to do with atheism.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

meh, you can do better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Atheists don't have a religion.

NiKva

Fixed. God has nothing to do with atheism.

:|

Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Cool......Lets congregate and um.....not worship.......

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
I can tell you one thing, these atheist groups are just as annoying and obnoxious as these religious groups.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#16 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

It does take faith to be an atheist, I wouldn't call it a religion nesseccarily, but there are many atheists who treat their atheism like it is a religion. In fact some of them are quite pushy about it like some religious people are.

The fact that there is even an atheism union on here shows that people treat it like a religion. It is just like a religous group, they think that their way is special and that being an atheist gives them special features.

For example many of them claim that being an atheist makes them free thinkers and more intelligent. Not much different from some religious people who claim the same, or claim they are the only real saved people and moraly righteous.

This however is OT so you won't see very many people agree with us.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

It does take faith to be an atheist, I wouldn't call it a religion nesseccarily, but there are many atheists who treat their atheism like it is a religion. In fact some of them are quite pushy about it like some religious people are.

The fact that there is even an atheism union on here shows that people treat it like a religion. It is just like a religous group, they think that their way is special and that being an atheist gives them special features.

For example many of them claim that being an atheist makes them free thinkers and more intelligent. Not much different from some religious people who claim the same, or claim they are the only real saved people and moraly righteous.

This however is OT so you won't see very many people agree with us.

ShadowMoses900

Does your religion just make up new definition of words?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jebus213
Please tell me this atheists. Why do you treat Christopher Hitchens like Jesus then?
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#19 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts
I can tell you one thing, these atheist groups are just as annoying and obnoxious as these religious groups.thebest31406
i would have to agree. in my experience i've found individual atheists and theists of different stripes can be just as obnoxious and 'preachy' about their held beliefs/disbeleifs. I understand the joke that says saying atheists is like a religion is like saying being bald is a type of colored hair. But i will have to refer to Neil DeGrasse Tyson in saying those who don't like or believe in skiing, don't group up together about their dislike or disbelief in skiing, so it is a bit of an oxymoron for their to be these clubs where they congregate with the same ideas. Granted i know that there are all sorts of clubs like a club for people who love comic books, but you won't easily find (if at all) a club that dislikes comic books. and if they're are, say such as as the anti-tobacco groups out there, the two act in much the same way, just different objectives.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4

This argument has devolved into TC arbitrarily defining somebody as Jesus.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

Atheism is not a religion, it is merely the lack of belief in deities. However, atheism can be compatible with some religions. Buddhism for instance is atheistic in the sense that there is no creator god that rules the universe.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts
to quote Bill Maher, "atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position"
Mike-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Mike-uk
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

TC is in a way correct, atheists are a group of people with their beliefs, religious people are a group of people with their beliefs. People have different definitions of the the word religion, however the definition of the word is not important, what is important is the fact that Atheism is a belief system which requires a leap of faith ( please dont get hung up on the word faith either ) just like any religion.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 white_wolf922

TC is in a way correct, atheists are a group of people with their beliefs, religious people are a group of people with their beliefs. People have different definitions of the the word religion, however the definition of the word is not important, what is important is the fact that Atheism is a belief system which requires a leap of faith ( please dont get hung up on the word faith either ) just like any religion.

Mike-uk

It doesn't require faith. Atheists merely say that the evidence for god is lacking. It's no more of a leap of faith for an atheist to say they don't believe in god than for me to say I don't believe in unicorns.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
You're talking wrongly again.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
[QUOTE="thebest31406"]I can tell you one thing, these atheist groups are just as annoying and obnoxious as these religious groups.SaudiFury
i would have to agree. in my experience i've found individual atheists and theists of different stripes can be just as obnoxious and 'preachy' about their held beliefs/disbeleifs. I understand the joke that says saying atheists is like a religion is like saying being bald is a type of colored hair. But i will have to refer to Neil DeGrasse Tyson in saying those who don't like or believe in skiing, don't group up together about their dislike or disbelief in skiing, so it is a bit of an oxymoron for their to be these clubs where they congregate with the same ideas. Granted i know that there are all sorts of clubs like a club for people who love comic books, but you won't easily find (if at all) a club that dislikes comic books. and if they're are, say such as as the anti-tobacco groups out there, the two act in much the same way, just different objectives.

I feel that if folks want to believe in God, then let them. What's it hurting? There are people out there who find comfort in it; like the parent who loses a child or the sports team that wants to play well. Why do atheists need to form mass movements against these people?
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

I don't give money in the name of Atheism, so no it isn't ;).

connzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 connzee
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

Well, that proves it. How wrong I was.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Jebus213

If Atheism is a religion by your definition then so is science.
white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 white_wolf922

[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

PernicioEnigma

If Atheism is a religion by your definition then so is science.

Well I have heard fundamentalists claim evolution is a religion.

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
is it a religion or a form of prejudice??? you decide
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
That depends upon how you define religion. Atheism is not a religion in the classical sense. However, it at times expresses itself as a belief system. Atheism has no God or gods but often worships either humanity or the world itself. Atheism has no scripture as its authority but has human reason as its authority.
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

This is what I see. 2 sides of a belief arguing with eachother. No God vs A God. It's the same thing as Yahweh vs Zeus, Satan vs Hades, Budda vs Anubis. Eventhough there are huge differences when it comes to the argument of the beliefs, there is no such difference in the ways they both act against each other. Both yank each others hairs, shove, punch and kick at each other when both parties KNOW that there is no winner at the end of the argument. They love it though. They love to waste their time doing so. So let them, its not your problem to worry about. Swine will be swine. Let them fight for their food.

undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

No, it's not.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 white_wolf922

That depends upon how you define religion. Atheism is not a religion in the classical sense. However, it at times expresses itself as a belief system. Atheism has no God or gods but often worships either humanity or the world itself. Atheism has no scripture as its authority but has human reason as its authority. mindstorm

You and I must have a very different definition of worship. I define worship as what I used to do when I was a believer such as pray to God and praise him. As an agnostic/atheist I certainly don't have that kind of attitude towards humanity or the world.

connzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 connzee
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

What're you gonna say next? That Judaism is a religion!?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Atheism is a religion. Any teaching that deals with us after death is a religion. Sorry to burst your bubble, but atheist you are a member of a religion. They run the groups with the same setup as a church, members, contributions, leaders, and the spreading of their doctrines (teachings) and just like a church, their are several different groups with different teachings.Jebus213
With such a vague definition, one could make the argument that geometry or the alphabet are religions.
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WolfattheDoor34
wait what - now people are saying the alphabet isn't a religion??? some loonies on this board haha
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

wait what - now people are saying the alphabet isn't a religion??? some loonies on this board hahaWolfattheDoor34
:lol:

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

It's true. At the end of the semester last year, one of my neighbours threw one of her old chemistry textbooks in the trash.

So I lit her car on fire.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I can't tell if the TC is trolling or just stupid.

It does take faith to be an atheist

ShadowMoses900

No.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Poor trolling attempt is......rather poor actually

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Religious people always like to redefine words to fit their narrative.

Just like they do with facts. Religion has a set definition, it's not up for your interpretation.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Wait, so theists are one big religion?
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

I thought this was common sense :?

WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WolfattheDoor34

I thought this was common sense :?

N30F3N1X
then you might not have any LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Atheism is a religion.Jebus213

Atheism is not a religion. Atheist beliefs have some very solid evidence behind them while religious beliefs have very little.

The saying is "if atheism is a religion then not playing baseball is a sport"

Atheism is not a religion because a religion has two components which must both be present. First: It is a formalized system of ritual and belief. Second: It is focussed on a supernatural being or beings.

Speaking to "formalized system of ritual and belief", atheists are not an organization, just a number of folks that have independently, through thought and study, come to the conclusion that there is no supernatural force in the universe and that there is no rational reason to invoke a supernatural force to the universe. There is no credo, ritual, instruction manual or anything in atheism. Therefore atheism is not a religion but is merely the absence of a religion.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_atheism_a_religion

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

s7MRw.gif.

konvikt_17

i approve this post

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]That depends upon how you define religion. Atheism is not a religion in the classical sense. However, it at times expresses itself as a belief system. Atheism has no God or gods but often worships either humanity or the world itself. Atheism has no scripture as its authority but has human reason as its authority. white_wolf922

You and I must have a very different definition of worship. I define worship as what I used to do when I was a believer such as pray to God and praise him. As an agnostic/atheist I certainly don't have that kind of attitude towards humanity or the world.

I'd define worship as absolutely everything you do. Worship is not simply an expression of high regard toward a particular object in prayer and song but is everything you do to show regard toward an object or ideal. As such, everything you do even as insignificant as what you eat and drink can be considered an expression of worship.
white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 white_wolf922

[QUOTE="white_wolf922"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]That depends upon how you define religion. Atheism is not a religion in the classical sense. However, it at times expresses itself as a belief system. Atheism has no God or gods but often worships either humanity or the world itself. Atheism has no scripture as its authority but has human reason as its authority. mindstorm

I'd define worship as absolutely everything you do. Worship is not simply an expression of high regard toward a particular object in prayer and song but is everything you do to show regard toward an object or ideal. As such, everything you do even as insignificant as what you eat and drink can be considered an expression of worship.

That is much much too broad to be the definition of worship. That is in no way the common definiton of worship.