Are you the only one among your relatives backing up family photos?

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

I've noticed plenty of times that during special times, christmas, new years eve, birthdays, weddings, baptisms among other family gathering ocassions there is always people taking photos, it used to be with digital or analog cameras back in the day, but now is a few oddballs with a professional camera and tons of camera-phones, people always share their pictures with each other on facebook and instant messaging apps, but who takes the time to complile all the truckload of videos? Nowdays it appears nobody does it, people lose enormous amounts of photos when they lose their phones if not backed by cloud storages.

We can all agree it's an issue with lots of digital solutions available, but who keeps track of what gets saved and what doesn't?

In my family it's always me, i am the guy secretly in charge of keeping the family photographic record safe and organized, only so i can show it off to everyone every ten years or so, while it amuses it also causes bewilderment as amost everyone assumes certain photos were lost forever, even those they took themselves were lost, long ago.

Is this an problem or a thing? Or is it just me?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

i do, but nothing is organized but dates, ive been putting it off cause theirs over 20,000 photos and i get bored easy. im the only one who has photos of my sisters 1st wedding and my parents 20th year of being married which was 10 years ago now. plus heeps more, i just started uploading them one day. i dont even like taking pictures and i don't, I don't like staged photos I would rather set cameras up and take stills from videos andthem to have both.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127509 Posts

I used to... now I am to lazy. I got... Canon 450D. Takes descent pictures I guess. I should get into the habit of using it again.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I don't even take pictures.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I got them organized by year followed by occasion. My sources range from digital cameras, smartphones, digital camcorder, iPad, and even my car dashcam.

Good thing I have several external hard drives. I've started saving video footage as well.

Oh. I also have some scanned photos saved as digital files from photos taken before I had a digital camera.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Send most photos in a WhatsApp group with my family members in, with an iCloud backup so I don't need to worry. Timehop throws up some interesting stories when I look at it, which may prompt me to go back and look at more photos from a given occasion.

fernendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fernendo
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

gbwhatsapp may surely replace the official whatsapp soon. The increasing features seems to be much legit and it should work as well.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Well I have the exact opposite. In every occasion, majority of my family member brings their own camera and just compile all the photos at night or the next day. While all of them are excited for the photo, I'm just on the side eating.

stackuzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stackuzy
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

No, My sister loves doing this, lol

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

Yep, I'm pretty much the only one who backs up photos, videos and other data. And I much prefer a local backup than relying on the cloud.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I don't take pictures or even like my own picture taken. May dad on the other hand takes pictures every family gathering...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

before my daughter was born i built a 5TB nas server at home pretty much for this purpose. since i have the space, i've taken to backing up hold home movies my parents had on various vhs tapes as well as backing up all their digital photos as well. probably have a few tens of thousands of photos at this point backed up.

they still have tons of prints in boxes that i would like to get scanned but that is a much bigger project, last year i took the 1000 or so photos they had on slides and digitized them all gave them a usb stick w/ all the pictures. these were mostly from the mid 70's and early 80's

i try to keep it organized by year and by season ( example, fall 2017, spring 2005, etc... ) but all the smartphone pictures i just have dumped into a "phone" folder unfortunately.

it's a ton of work though but i would feel really bad if all that stuff was eventually just lost.

looking at them after a long time, the ones i seem to like more are the "ordinary boring life" photos rather than big staged photos at family gatherings on holidays, weddings, etc.. i try once in a while to take pictures or videos like that. like of my wife and child just playing in the family room or her cooking dinner or something. i know that in 20 years they'll be valuable to me. so much of your life is that rather than the big moments anyway. why not capture some of it.

long term though i don't have much of a plan. i'm also looking at offsite backup options, despite the nas being RAID'd for redundancy, should something catastrophic happen like the house burning down, all that data and effort is lost

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

The only digitized family pictures all key members of my family has was done by me.

My entire family are technophobes

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58348 Posts

Not a fan of photos, don't like having photos taken of myself and I really don't care too much about other people to see photos of them.

Plus, if you post stuff on the internet, it's generally up there forever.

I have a pretty good memory, very visual, I prefer to remember things, have those memories distort and become more exaggerated or different as time goes on (it's a known thing to happen to everyone, it's why one person's account of an even always differs from another in small details after like 10 years).

I don't need photographic proof of anything. Plus, with the way people take photos of every god damn thing these days, there's little value in general photography (I still like cool pictures like National Geographic and stuff like that). Not like how it used to be where people would have to prepare for some even and get their camera out and make sure everything it OK.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

@bush_dog said:

Well I have the exact opposite. In every occasion, majority of my family member brings their own camera and just compile all the photos at night or the next day. While all of them are excited for the photo, I'm just on the side eating.

like a boss.