Are you replacing your current DVD collection with Blu-Ray?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The latest Lord of the Rings rerelease on Blu-Ray has made me think up this question. For a split second, I considered it, then I heard "original theatrical version", and that's when I lost interest. Director's Cut, then maybe. I have only replaced four DVDs with Blu-Ray, and those where the TMNT movies, only because I got such a great deal. If I were a millionaire, than sure, I'd replace every single one of them, but I just don't have the funds for it now.

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts
The last time I bought a DVD was in the year 2000 so no.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Not for the most part. I just buy bluray from now on. Heck, I generally just netflix everything now instead of buying.

ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts
No I won't replace my dvd library as most were not shot in HD so it makes no sense. The only reason I would consider it is for uncompressed audio but I don't have a receiver that can take advantage of that. I get my new movies on blu-ray however.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

I haven't bought a DVD in years anyway. But I'm considering getting Blu Ray.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Why would anyone buy a DVD/Bluray? Just Netflix it.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

no... because i dont have blu ray... and even if i did i would just keep the DVDs

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

SgtKevali
Collectors, like me, actually like to have the physical copy.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Just my favorites. But I buy blu-ray exclusively now unless a movie that I want to own is impossible to find on blu-ray.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts

SgtKevali
maybe someone wants to watch the movie at anytime. Also Netflix has a lot of their new releases as "rental versions" which come with no special features.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I've been buying Blu-Rays ever since I've owned a PS3. The only DVD's I mean to replace are Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but I'm not buying the theatrical version LOTR Blu-Ray.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

no, I dont consider replacing my Dvd collection with Blu-Ray. I really ahve problems seeing the point, the jump from DVD to Blu-Ray was miniscule, compared to VHS to DVD.

Better sound, sure, sometimes better picture, sure, but same movie none the less, and most movies I like are not modern, so when they were filmed HD was not around in the first place.

I do not watch alot of movies anyways (or rather, I guess I do, but I rarely buy any)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="paradigm68"] maybe someone wants to watch the movie at anytime. Also Netflix has a lot of their new releases as "rental versions" which come with no special features.

Exactly. And I actually don't even like Netflix to be honest, since it's putting places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster Video out of business.
bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

SgtKevali
I prefer to have an actual copy. Im a collector. But anyways Im not really replacing my DVD collection, but I am buying Blu-Ray when a movie is available on it. So in a way yeah i am.
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

Hell no thats just a waste ofcash.

Grandotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Grandotaku
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

I much prefer dvd for some reason.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
And I actually don't even like Netflix to be honest, since it's putting places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster Video out of business.JustPlainLucas
That is why I absolutely despise Netflix.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"] And I actually don't even like Netflix to be honest, since it's putting places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster Video out of business.raven_squad

Why exactly do you hate Netflix? Because it's the better business?
cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

not a chance, dont even own a bluray player and have no need for one. unless ofcourse DVD isdiscontinued and only blurayis avalible.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"] And I actually don't even like Netflix to be honest, since it's putting places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster Video out of business.raven_squad

What's with all this Netflix hate? That's the dark cruel world of business... they will find anything possible to make money out of the people... and if their competitors can't step it up, that's it for the business. At least Blockbuster is trying.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
[QUOTE="dreDREb13"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="raven_squad"] That is why I absolutely despise Netflix.

Yeah, I don't understand... Yes, it sucks that they're going out of business... But Netflix is a damn fine subscription. Sure as hell beats looking around a rental place for movies they don't have and paying late fees for things.

Exactly. They pretty much have anything you want, and for a damn good price.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Why exactly do you hate Netflix? Because it's the better business?

Because people are getting lazier. And they were one of the reasons why Movie Gallery filed bankruptcy, which owned Hollywood Video and Game Crazy, whom actually closed a store location that was within walking minutes of me. I don't want to see all business shift to just internet. It's a scary outcome, actually.
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
I'm only replacing my absolute favorite DVDs with Blu-ray versions. Doesn't really make much sense to replace my entire collection when my Blu ray player does an okay job at upscaling them to look decent on my LCD TV. For the movies I really care about though, I do plan on buying them again. I just want that extra visual impact.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I don't see a reason to. The only thing you would gain by the enhanced resolution for the most part on older films is more noticeable film grain.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="MistressMinako"] What's with all this Netflix hate? That's the dark cruel world of business... they will find anything possible to make money out of the people... and if their competitors can't step it up, that's it for the business. At least Blockbuster is trying.

Hey, I understand it's business, but that doesn't mean I like it. I also know you love Netflix, but I don't have a fast enough connection to support downloading and streaming. I also don't like waiting for movies to arrive in the mail when I used to go to my local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video and get it in just a few minutes. I also don't like Red Box, now that I think about it, because it's completely impersonal. I LOVE PHYSICAL STORES DAMMIT!
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="MistressMinako"] What's with all this Netflix hate? That's the dark cruel world of business... they will find anything possible to make money out of the people... and if their competitors can't step it up, that's it for the business. At least Blockbuster is trying.JustPlainLucas
Hey, I understand it's business, but that doesn't mean I like it. I also know you love Netflix, but I don't have a fast enough connection to support downloading and streaming. I also don't like waiting for movies to arrive in the mail when I used to go to my local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video and get it in just a few minutes. I also don't like Red Box, now that I think about it, because it's completely impersonal. I LOVE PHYSICAL STORES DAMMIT!

I love redbox.:? They just need to start sticking games in their machines as well.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Hey, I understand it's business, but that doesn't mean I like it. I also know you love Netflix, but I don't have a fast enough connection to support downloading and streaming. I also don't like waiting for movies to arrive in the mail when I used to go to my local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video and get it in just a few minutes. I also don't like Red Box, now that I think about it, because it's completely impersonal. I LOVE PHYSICAL STORES DAMMIT!JustPlainLucas
Well, I guess the waiting would be an issue.... but it's fast delivery 90% of the time. We don't even have a Blockbuster/Hollywood Video here anymore... I am guessing for that reason. But, if Blockbuster's service matches or gives more than Netflix, I might consider it. If it makes you feel better, I will most likely never get GameFly. :P That was the only time I went to Blockbuster, to rent games... sadly, that's not in my location anymore. As long as it takes me to finish games... I don't need GameFly. -_-
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

The latest Lord of the Rings rerelease on Blu-Ray has made me think up this question. For a split second, I considered it, then I heard "original theatrical version", and that's when I lost interest. Director's Cut, then maybe. I have only replaced four DVDs with Blu-Ray, and those where the TMNT movies, only because I got such a great deal. If I were a millionaire, than sure, I'd replace every single one of them, but I just don't have the funds for it now.

JustPlainLucas
I really need to replace my TMNT DVDs with Blu-Rays, but I know that the remastering on the older movies wasn't very good. I'd also like to replace my DVD copy of The Dark Knight with Blu-Ray. Other than that, I don't have much interest in it.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
nah not worth it
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Why exactly do you hate Netflix? Because it's the better business?JustPlainLucas
Because people are getting lazier. And they were one of the reasons why Movie Gallery filed bankruptcy, which owned Hollywood Video and Game Crazy, whom actually closed a store location that was within walking minutes of me. I don't want to see all business shift to just internet. It's a scary outcome, actually.

I actually agree with you. It's sad to see so many people lose their jobs because of store closings round my place. Thats why I stoped shopping online, I would rather go to the store and buy my stuff localy to support my local economy.

But back on topic, no that would be to pricy I am fine with my DVD's.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Nope, I don't own a single Blu-Ray and I don't really intend to purchase any. I'm happy with DVDs.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
I'm only replacing my favorite movies, I'm just missing the 2nd and 3rd Harry Potter movies, to have the whole series on blu-ray.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I'm only replacing my favorite movies, I'm just missing the 2nd and 3rd Harry Potter movies, to have the whole series on blu-ray.judog1
Oh yeah, I forgot about Harry Potter. I have the sixth on Blu-Ray and the rest on DVD. I may buy the others on Blu-Ray if a box set is released when the seventh movie comes out on Blu-Ray.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] I really need to replace my TMNT DVDs with Blu-Rays, but I know that the remastering on the older movies wasn't very good. I'd also like to replace my DVD copy of The Dark Knight with Blu-Ray. Other than that, I don't have much interest in it.

Yeah, the remastering wasn't very good on the first couple movies, but the last TMNT looks pretty decent. Plus, I loved the packaging. :P
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] I really need to replace my TMNT DVDs with Blu-Rays, but I know that the remastering on the older movies wasn't very good. I'd also like to replace my DVD copy of The Dark Knight with Blu-Ray. Other than that, I don't have much interest in it.

Yeah, the remastering wasn't very good on the first couple movies, but the last TMNT looks pretty decent. Plus, I loved the packaging. :P

I just want 'em because I'm a TMNT fanboy; not much more of a reason than that. (OT: What do you think of the three new Mountain Dew flavors?)
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
No, never bought many DVDs to begin with, just a few favorites i will get on Bluray, mostly Netflix and Directv watching.
Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

I'm replacing some of them but it's just either my top favorites or films I feel will greatly benefit from an HD makeover. Most of my favorite films though are quite old so unless the Blu-Ray comes with some previously unreleased material (such as in "Sunrise") I'm probably not going to upgrade most of my collection. Right now I'm just picking up titles both big and small if I can find them at a good price.

Although honestly I have well over a thousand DVDs & videos and most of them aren't even available in Blu-Ray so it's not really a decision I have to make all that often thank goodness.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] I just want 'em because I'm a TMNT fanboy; not much more of a reason than that. (OT: What do you think of the three new Mountain Dew flavors?)

Haven't tried them yet. I need to go by 7-11 and see if they got them.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
[QUOTE="dreDREb13"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="raven_squad"] That is why I absolutely despise Netflix.

Yeah, I don't understand... Yes, it sucks that they're going out of business... But Netflix is a damn fine subscription. Sure as hell beats looking around a rental place for movies they don't have and paying late fees for things.

Damn right! Plus they wouldn't even have what i was looking for, horrid customer service, i hope they go under soon! Same with music stores when i would be looking for an album, the internet is the place to go, same with games though i want physical copies not digital. With NF you can stream thousands of movies, if they added 5.1 and the bonus features it would be perfect!
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] I just want 'em because I'm a TMNT fanboy; not much more of a reason than that. (OT: What do you think of the three new Mountain Dew flavors?)

Haven't tried them yet. I need to go by 7-11 and see if they got them.

You should definitely make a video comparing the three like you made a while back for a few other drinks.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"][QUOTE="dreDREb13"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Why exactly do you hate Netflix? Because it's the better business?

Damn right! Plus they wouldn't even have what i was looking for, horrid customer service, i hope they go under soon! Same with music stores when i would be looking for an album, the internet is the place to go, same with games though i want physical copies not digital. With NF you can stream thousands of movies, if they added 5.1 and the bonus features it would be perfect!

Wait...what? Who's going out of business? Because Dre's post makes it sound like Netflix is going out of business, but I'm sure that can't be right.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"] Damn right! Plus they wouldn't even have what i was looking for, horrid customer service, i hope they go under soon! Same with music stores when i would be looking for an album, the internet is the place to go, same with games though i want physical copies not digital. With NF you can stream thousands of movies, if they added 5.1 and the bonus features it would be perfect!

I've always enjoyed the customer service I got at the stores I went to. Of course, I've never been a problem customer. [QUOTE="jalexbrown"] You should definitely make a video comparing the three like you made a while back for a few other drinks.

Hah, you remember that? :lol: Well, first I got to find a cable for my camcorder to connect to my new laptop (I was using Firewire before, which this doesn't support).
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Wait...what? Who's going out of business? Because Dre's post makes it sound like Netflix is going out of business, but I'm sure that can't be right.

No, he's referring to the video stores.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

nope, don't got a blu ray playa

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

No, i won't because here is very little difference between Blu-Ray and DVD, so i just buy DVDs and use the money that i would spend on Blu-Ray player on other things.

From Bestbuy.com:
DVD (84066)
Blu-Ray (3283)

... when Blu-Ray suprasses DVD in numbers, i will officially call DVD worse than Blu-Ray. But, until then, DVD is 25 times better than Blu-Ray.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jalexbrown
Hah, you remember that? :lol: Well, first I got to find a cable for my camcorder to connect to my new laptop (I was using Firewire before, which this doesn't support).JustPlainLucas
The only specific one I remember you doing was the 7-Up Pomegranate. But yeah, I remember...they were cool. [QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Wait...what? Who's going out of business? Because Dre's post makes it sound like Netflix is going out of business, but I'm sure that can't be right.

No, he's referring to the video stores.

Does anyone know where Blockbuster stands right now or how long it might take them to go under?
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
I have recently updated to Blu-Ray and when I buy a new film I try to make it on that format it's available on it. Will I be updating all of the films I own DVD to Blu-Ray? Heavens no, I will certainly repurchase a few like Citizen Kane is coming out next year and I will certainly buy that, but I am satisfied with the quality of DVDs to not go out and update every film I own. Besides, most of the films I own are not even available on Blu-Ray yet.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JustPlainLucas

No, i won't because here is very little difference between Blu-Ray and DVD, so i just buy DVDs and use the money that i would spend on Blu-Ray player on other things.

From Bestbuy.com:
DVD (84066)
Blu-Ray (3283)

... when Blu-Ray suprasses DVD in numbers, i will officially call DVD worse than Blu-Ray. But, until then, DVD is 25 times better than Blu-Ray.

hoola

Wait, what are those numbers representing?
Does anyone know where Blockbuster stands right now or how long it might take them to go under?jalexbrown
No idea. All I know is that two long standing stores are no longer around.