Are drone strikes justifiable?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

After the events of 9/11 and the London subway bombings are drone strikes justifiable?

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Yes, as long as they are not killing civilians.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
Killing enemy combatants is justifiable.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
Drone strikes are a great tool when used properly. They reduce boots on the ground, which not only saves troops but makes it less likely a scared, tired private who misses his girlfriend back in the states can cap an innocent person he mistook for an insurgent.

Drone policies have been adjusted since the program came out, as of right now drone operators can only fire when ordered by their chain of command. In turn, the chain of command is only allowed to order a strike when it is verified that no innocent people are in the blast radius.

Drones can also be used to give cover fire for ground forces. This has been helpful when Afghan forces are about to be overrun by Taliban and we have a drone flying close by to give them a hand.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Killing enemy combatants is justifiable.Crunchy_Nuts
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Man in plane bombing, or man controlling robot plane bombing practically the same. How they do it is not the problem, whether they kill civilians is a problem.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Maybe if they were used on US soil as well.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Are bomber strikes justifiable?

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"]Killing enemy combatants is justifiable.themajormayor

I'd love to see you quote that when the enemy combatants are Israeli. Then you would switch to juvenile mode like called Stephen Hawking douchekins..
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"]Killing enemy combatants is justifiable.dramaybaz

I'd love to see you quote that when the enemy combatants are Israeli. Then you would switch to juvenile mode like called Stephen Hawking douchekins..

Israelis are never enemy combatants. Unless it's some extreme leftist Israeli.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
[QUOTE="dramaybaz"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]themajormayor

Hypocrisy 101.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

SirWander

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 themajormayor
[QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="dramaybaz"] I'd love to see you quote that when the enemy combatants are Israeli. Then you would switch to juvenile mode like called Stephen Hawking douchekins..

Hypocrisy 101.

How so?
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thebest31406
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Israelis are never enemy combatants. Unless it's some extreme leftist Israeli.

Hypocrisy 101.

How so?

Droning Pakistan, fine. Droning Israel, not so fine.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 themajormayor
[QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="thebest31406"] Hypocrisy 101.

How so?

Droning Pakistan, fine. Droning Israel, not so fine.

When did I say droning Pakistan is fine? And even then Pakistan and Israel are two completely different countries in completely different environment and situation. You're comparing apples and oranges.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
depends on the situation.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
[QUOTE="dramaybaz"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]themajormayor

idf? Enemy combatant is a technical, not a moral term.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="dramaybaz"] I'd love to see you quote that when the enemy combatants are Israeli. Then you would switch to juvenile mode like called Stephen Hawking douchekins..BossPerson

Isn't the use of the word enemy based on the perspective of the one using the word? So I don't see why it is so weird that one would support the use of drones on ones enemies and not on themselves. Who in here would support drone strikes on their own army?

In any case if Israel's enemies would use drone strike in a morally acceptable manner then I certainly I wouldn't criticize them for using drones. I am criticizing their intentions but if they pursue their intentions in a morally acceptable manner I would still only criticize their intentions and not how they are pursued. Hezbullah recently used a drone against Israel. They just sent it over or something. Nothing major. But did anyone really criticize them? I didn't see anyone. I didn't see anything immoral with that action in itself. Same if they would use it against Israeli soldiers.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Israelis are never enemy combatants. Unless it's some extreme leftist Israeli.themajormayor

Isn't the use of the word enemy based on the perspective of the one using the word? So I don't see why it is so weird that one would support the use of drones on ones enemies and not on themselves. Who in here would support drone strikes on their own army?

In any case if Israel's enemies would use drone strike in a morally acceptable manner then I certainly I wouldn't criticize them for using drones. I am critisizing their intentions but if they pursue their intentions in a morally acceptable manner I would still only criticize their goals and not how they are pursued.

then why did you say "israeli's are never enemy combatants?"
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]idf? Enemy combatant is a technical, not a moral term.BossPerson

In any case if Israel's enemies would use drone strike in a morally acceptable manner then I certainly I wouldn't criticize them for using drones. I am critisizing their intentions but if they pursue their intentions in a morally acceptable manner I would still only criticize their goals and not how they are pursued.

From my perspective they are not. I'm on their side. Why would I support the bombing of my own side? How come the bombing of Berlin was ok but not of London?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thebest31406

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Isn't the use of the word enemy based on the perspective of the one using the word? So I don't see why it is so weird that one would support the use of drones on ones enemies and not on themselves. Who in here would support drone strikes on their own army?

themajormayor

From my perspective they are not. I'm on their side. Why would I support the bombing of my own side? How come the bombing of Berlin was ok but not of London?

That's no moral argument.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Since there really is no effective distinction between a drone strike, and regular air strike I think the more apppropriate question is, "Are airstrikes justifiable?" 

I would say no to that question, both kill innocent civilians, and since I'm anti-war anyways it doesn't make sense to me to blow the sh!t out of other people's property. The only real difference between drone strikes, and airstrikes with a pilot in the cockpit is that one less person has the potential to die, and to me that is just ever so slightly better.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
Rather broad question. They are justified when used properly. Like an other war event.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thebest31406

Since there really is no effective distinction between a drone strike, and regular air strike I think the more apppropriate question is, "Are airstrikes justifiable?" 

I would say no to that question, both kill innocent civilians, and since I'm anti-war anyways it doesn't make sense to me to blow the sh!t out of other people's property. The only real difference between drone strikes, and airstrikes with a pilot in the cockpit is that one less person has the potential to die, and to me that is just ever so slightly better.

Serraph105
Good point.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Eliminating enemy threats while minimizing risks to your ground forces and saving a lot of money. They are extremely appealing for our forces.

Drone strikes are air strikes and both kill civilians. Nobody wants that but war is war and as long as your enemy is using civilian areas to hide out, there will be civilian casualties. It would be no different in any place on Earth. Our future counter terrorism efforts will be a combination of special forces, local forces, and drone strikes. That's the future. 

The best way to avoid civilian casualties in war is too avoid war all together. That's what it really comes down to.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thebest31406

Eliminating enemy threats while minimizing risks to your ground forces and saving a lot of money. They are extremely appealing for our forces.

Drone strikes are air strikes and both kill civilians. Nobody wants that but war is war and as long as your enemy is using civilian areas to hide out, there will be civilian casualties. It would be no different in any place on Earth. Our future counter terrorism efforts will be a combination of special forces, local forces, and drone strikes. That's the future. 

The best way to avoid civilian casualties in war is too avoid war all together. That's what it really comes down to.

Wasdie
Not being there at all. Even more appealing.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
In the act of war and there target is an enemy combatant, yes....
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Not under any circumstances is it okay to kill even a single innocent.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Oh my god.

Why are we not making more threads about this?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Provided appropriate precautions to avoid civilian casualties, absolutely.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Provided appropriate precautions to avoid civilian casualties, absolutely.

coolbeans90
This.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ad1x2
Not under any circumstances is it okay to kill even a single innocent. famicommander
Drones don't explicitly target innocent people. War in general sucks and it is inevitable innocent people may get caught in the crossfire but better technology is reducing casualties on both sides of the battlefield in comparison to previous wars.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]then why did you say "israeli's are never enemy combatants?" thebest31406

That's no moral argument.

Cool?

It's true though, if I was a member of Hamas I certainly would not like the Israelis using drone strikes. It's not hypocritical. You want your side to win and the other side to lose.

Again though, from an objective point of view, as I already stated before I wouldn't see their use of drones in itself as any less justifiable than Israelis using them, provided it is used in a moral manner. However I would be against the reason it is used.

Distinction, not against the use in itself but the reason for its use (i.e to destroy Israel or w/e).

Analogy. I would be against the Nazi invasion of Poland involving tanks or w/e. But I wouldn't be against the actual use of tanks by either side. Now maybe you could say I would be against the Nazi use of tanks due to the invasion being a prerequisite for the use of tanks. But even then it would stand against your accusations of hypocracy since then really the two sides would not be comparable.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Absolutely not. It's a form of terrorism itself. 

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 themajormayor

Vari3ty
Why?
Avatar image for PWSteal_Ldpinch
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PWSteal_Ldpinch
Member since 2011 • 1172 Posts

Are they justifiable? Yes. Are they effective or expedient? Not at all. If you try to cut off the head of the hydra, two more will grow in its place.

Besides, Pakistani terrorists have very little impact on our safety here in the US, so why are we fighting them? They ruin and destroy their own Muslim countries, which is good in my opinion.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ad1x2

Vari3ty
In lieu of drone strikes, what would your suggestion be? More boots on the ground? Rely on local law enforcement who is most likely either scared of or are working with with them to arrest the targets? Keep in mind not going to war at all would be the most desired option but it isn't always the most realistic one.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

themajormayor

Why?

Think about civilians near the drone targets. They've done nothing wrong, but because a terrorist is hiding out nearby they might be killed anyway. Several thousand civilians have been killed over the past decade as a result of these drone strikes. 

Would you want to live knowing that at any moment, a missile from a drone could strike you above at any moment? These drone strikes are a form of terrorism conducted by the U.S. government itself. 

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Vari3ty

Why?

Think about civilians near the drone targets. They've done nothing wrong, but because a terrorist is hiding out nearby they might be killed anyway. Several thousand civilians have been killed over the past decade as a result of these drone strikes. 

Would you want to live knowing that at any moment, a missile from a drone could strike you above at any moment? These drone strikes are a form of terrorism conducted by the U.S. government itself. 

What is the alturnative? Why don't THE PEOPLE drive out the terrorist scum that are hiding amoung them?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ad1x2

Would you want to live knowing that at any moment, a missile from a drone could strike you above at any moment?Vari3ty

Drone policies have been updated over the past few years. Commanders can no longer order a strike unless they can confirm no civilians are in the blast radius. That is the main reason the vast majority of drone strikes going on today take place in open fields or while the target is driving on a road when it isn't busy.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] Why?Yusuke420

What is the alturnative? Why don't THE PEOPLE drive out the terrorist scum that are hiding amoung them?

How do you know that they know a terrorist is hiding near them? Sure, in some cases I'd say there are those who know, but they might decide to keep their mouth shut out of fear of the terrorists themselves. But I'm sure there are other cases where the ordinary civilians just aren't aware that terrorists wanted by the U.S. government are hiding in close proximity of their location.

I'm no expert on Pakistani culture, but I don't doubt the "terrorists" aren't always labeled as such in Pakistan anyway. If you knew that a man was plotting to attack the country which had killed some of your family members via drone strikes, would you drive them out? No, you'd probably cheer them on and support them. 

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]Think about civilians near the drone targets. They've done nothing wrong, but because a terrorist is hiding out nearby they might be killed anyway. Several thousand civilians have been killed over the past decade as a result of these drone strikes. 

Would you want to live knowing that at any moment, a missile from a drone could strike you above at any moment?ad1x2

Drone policies have been updated over the past few years. Commanders can no longer order a strike unless they can confirm no civilians are in the blast radius. That is the main reason the vast majority of drone strikes going on today take place in open fields or while the target is driving on a road when it isn't busy.

It still hasn't eliminated civilian casualties, however. And what if they have the wrong target? The U.S. shouldn't be judge, jury, and executioner by raining down missiles on whoever it sees as a threat in these countries. There should be some form of due process. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Only if you can guarantee that no collateral deaths occur.  But also, if we value due process, then killing without a trial is not justifiable.  You can argue the whole "at war" thing, but that's a dangerous take.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ad1x2

[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]Think about civilians near the drone targets. They've done nothing wrong, but because a terrorist is hiding out nearby they might be killed anyway. Several thousand civilians have been killed over the past decade as a result of these drone strikes. 

Would you want to live knowing that at any moment, a missile from a drone could strike you above at any moment?Vari3ty

It still hasn't eliminated civilian casualties, however. And what if they have the wrong target? The U.S. shouldn't be judge, jury, and executioner by raining down missiles on whoever it sees as a threat in these countries. There should be some form of due process. 

It is nearly impossible to 100% guarantee that no civilians will die. It is a reality of war. However, you can adjust your tactics when better, more accurate methods are found. During previous wars thousands of innocent civilians may have been killed in carpet bombing campaigns targeting a few enemy troops. Today much fewer civilians are killed.

When it comes down to it, commanders would rather send a drone and take out a target that we have valid intel on than to send out a platoon that may find themselves getting shot in a firefight and possibly may kill more innocent bystanders than the drone would.

Drone operators are miles away from the target and can be calm while their superiors are watching the same feed giving them instructions. A 19-year old infantryman who is getting shot at may panic and kill people who are caught in the crossfire.

It also doesn't help Pakistan when they had the most wanted man in the world hiding in their own back yard for years. Or the fact that you can't trust some of their officers to go after targets we give them, for all we know they may tip them off instead of arresting them.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Shooting other people with rifles, artillery, air strikes and other things of that nature are okay but drone strikes are inexcusable. Great logic.

A good question would be is when is war justifiable.

It's a bit humorous that people continue to protest the use of certain technologies as if fighting would be honorable otherwise. Kicking in doors at 0300, 3:1 firepower ratio, everyone carrying 210 rounds of ammo (except for the poor son of a bitch who gets to carry the 249), body armor, kevlar and a single soldier with more training and knowledge within his brain than a dozen enemy combatants.

War isn't a tennis match, it isn't fair and it's disgusting. But everyone knows what's important, dem drone strikes right?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

war = civillian deaths.

i would have thought you would understand that after the allies burned dresden to the ground and 100,000 civilians died or after hiroshima and nagasaki.

not to mention the example of .... y'know... every conflict that has occurred since the beginning of time.

i like that you have a big sympathetic  bleeding heart and all because that is commendable and speaks for your kind heart but seriously,  grow the **** up.

right now at this moment in history civilian deaths from collateral damage  are at the lowest they have ever been.

is that not good enough? of course it is not but it is the best we have done in our entire savage history so take the  win.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

Killing enemy combatants is justifiable.Crunchy_Nuts

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

The only problem i have with drones is that we don't use enough of them.

also they have to many restrictions...this is wartime.

Sileviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sileviathan
Member since 2013 • 158 Posts

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

jimkabrhel