Are all arts graduate this smug and self-entitled? (Video)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7smLPz2GY

Over the course of nearly four minutes captured on video, he unleashes a torrent of oddly eloquent criticism, deriding the trumpeter as "a miserable presumptuous no-talent. You're no artist! An artist respects the silence that serves the foundation of creativity! You obviously don't have the talent. You don't have enough respect for yourself or other people to express yourself in music or any other form of creativity! And I'm an NYU Film School graduate, SUCKA!... You SUCK!"

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 comp_atkins  Online
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

his pants need to be higher up.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I think liberal arts were invented to help increase the GPA for science majors.

The arts are pretty silly in higher education all they did for me was offer me free As, but did nothing to the overall development of my mind and future career.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loco145

@thegerg said:

What, exactly, do you think the term "self-entitled" means?

Dunno, I'm joe and proud of being one.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fightingfan

@thegerg said:

@Fightingfan said:

I think liberal arts were invented to help increase the GPA for science majors.

The arts are pretty silly in higher education all they did for me was offer me free As, but did nothing to the overall development of my mind and future career.

FYI, science IS one of the liberal arts. You have no idea what you're talking about, huh?

You knew what I meant bruh.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Art in college is kinda a joke. Art today is in general a joke, just look at that modern art thread where we couldn't tell the difference between toddler paintings and 10,000 dollar pieces.

Yes, that guy is a jerk, if the trumpeter isn't very good, how does he expect the trumpeter to get better if he doesn't practice?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I am, yes. =P

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#12 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

This guy talks about working hard to get where he is but the trumpet guy is somehow different?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:

This guy talks about working hard to get where he is but the trumpet guy is somehow different?

He isn't. It's easy to be a critic about someone else

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

"He looks like he should have been thrown off a mountain in Sparta at birth"

From what I've been hearing from People who live in NYC. Encounters like these are not a rare occurrence.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan

Why is he mad tho?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Yes, a single youtube video is a representative sample of every art student in the world. You sure hit that nail on the head.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

Art students sometimes make me laugh. Like my friend getting her masters in Italian art history...delaying the real world much?

Though students in any major can be smug and self entitled, just go to an engineering or physics department. Most of those kids think they are gifts to science which is even funnier when coupled with the poor social skills (and hygiene).

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

Yes because as we know stereotypes are always 100% accurate across the board and one individual definitely sets the standard for all others.....

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loco145

@LJS9502_basic said:

Yes because as we know stereotypes are always 100% accurate across the board and one individual definitely sets the standard for all others.....

Ah, being right feels good!

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

What the hell was that... that... thing?

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

How dare this cretin obstruct the trumpet arts. As a fellow trumpeter, I am appalled.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

What a fucking jackass... Wow...

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Why are science graduates arrogant bores?

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By loco145

@SolidSnake35 said:

What about high school dropouts like myself?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44612 Posts

I dunno if all arts graduates are, but I'm smug enough to say "RECORD HORIZONTAL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!"

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fightingfan

@loco145 said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

You're the smart ones.

Didn't waste your time in high school, and college/university is nothing but educational racketeering for the most part.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#27 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@Fightingfan said:

@loco145 said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

You're the smart ones.

Didn't waste your time in high school, and college/university is nothing but educational racketeering for the most part.

I learned a lot in university. How to think being the most important.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Art in college is kinda a joke. Art today is in general a joke, just look at that modern art thread where we couldn't tell the difference between toddler paintings and 10,000 dollar pieces.

Yes, that guy is a jerk, if the trumpeter isn't very good, how does he expect the trumpeter to get better if he doesn't practice?

I didn't watch the video, so I won't comment on that.

I also can't say whether or not the art in that "modern art" thread was good or bad, so I won't speak about that either.

However, let me point out that a significant number of people were correctly able to identify most of those paintings as either "modern art" or "art made by toddlers". I guess it's POSSIBLE that those people just made lucky guesses, but it's also POSSIBLE that a whole lot of "modern art" that supposedly "looks like something a toddler could have done" also have signs of deliberste intent that would not be readily apparent to someone who hasn't been as well versed in art.

Given that, I find it a little bit disturbing that you'd say formal education in art is a joke. That argument sort of boils down to "it's not worth being educated about, because most people aren't educated about it." And, like, holy $hit! That's blatantly anti-education.

I like how you pointed out that art "in college" is a joke. Art in college is a joke compared to what? Art in high school? Art in kindergarten? Dude...at least in college, teachers actually get sort of serious about psychology, purpose, applications, and visual literacy. At lower levels such as K-12, this $hit is usually treated more as a free A where everyone gets a free pass regardless of merit. It's basically the special olympics. Are you really so willing to have an entire f***ing field (a HUGE field which permeates basically every facet of day-to-day life) relegated to people who are f***ing uneducated with it? If it wasn't for "art" or "art in college", think about how many of our beloved videogames and movies would have never been f***ing made. Seriously, do that. Think about some of your most favorite stuff (and this not only applies to visual art, but literature and music as well). Look up the credits, then look up the backgrounds of the people involved. Certainly not in every case, but in an absolute $hitload of cases you'll see that the people instrumental in making that work got their education by formally studying art in college.

This stuff doesn't come out of a vacuum. People look at "modern art", don't understand it, and think that education in the arts is worthless. This is largely due to the BS PC attitude in which everyone gets a medal for participating. And that's f***ing wrong, because art is a f***ing meritocracy. ESPECIALLY now due to the fact that the barrier of entry has been lowered so much that everyone can do it. Think about YOUR job, then ask yourself if anyone would be willing to pay you for it if everyone was qualified and able to do it and there was an unlimited supply of people willing to do it for free. And the obvious answer is that if that was the case, you wouldn't have that job. THE SAME APPLIES FOR ARTISTS. We're talking about applied science and communication here. And YES, that requires people to know their $hit. And no...despite being "fans", most people DON'T know their $hit. While a formal college education doesn't guarantee work and isn't necessary to get work, it can sure as hell help out a whole f***ing lot.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By loco145

@SolidSnake35 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@loco145 said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

You're the smart ones.

I learned a lot in university. How to think being the most important.

How to think? You mean you got brainwashed, right?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

What a fucking jackass... Wow...

no no his kick them when their down approach is clearly the foot up the ass they need right about now.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

In my experience, math and science majors with the whole "I know math and science and the arts are for idiots who aren't smart enough to do what I do" are be just as pretentious as the overly douchey arts majors.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I lost

Dequan1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dequan1233
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts

No, I am a musician and not an arts graduate, but I know when something sounds great or horrible. The guys using profanity and yelling was just being a jerk and probably had some trauma and psychological issues. I wouldn't dare say someone sucks, because the brings down there inspiration to play. Instead I would calmly tell the person what sounds distressed, nicely. However, If the person keeps doing the same thing over and over again, and not fixing it, then that person is insane, because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Now, I commend this trumpet player for doing what he did. That small person was just being a jerk thinking that he can play it better, and if he could, then at least help the guy out instead of saying he sucks, because that helps no one. In fact, it creates and even bigger issue then what was stated.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Dequan1233 said:

No, I am a musician and not an arts graduate, but I know when something sounds great or horrible. The guys using profanity and yelling was just being a jerk and probably had some trauma and psychological issues. I wouldn't dare say someone sucks, because the brings down there inspiration to play. Instead I would calmly tell the person what sounds distressed, nicely. However, If the person keeps doing the same thing over and over again, and not fixing it, then that person is insane, because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Now, I commend this trumpet player for doing what he did. That small person was just being a jerk thinking that he can play it better, and if he could, then at least help the guy out instead of saying he sucks, because that helps no one. In fact, it creates and even bigger issue then what was stated.

Just watched the video.

One thing to mention is this...the midget keeps asking the other guy "who the f*** are you?" Well, that's especially ironic, considering that...who the hell is that midget? Oh, he throws around his training and mentions that he was trained at NYU, but if he's such an artist then he ought to know that no one gives a flying f*** about his education without work to back it up. He then mentions knowing Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead, but that makes a point in itself. We know Bob Dylan's work. We know the Grateful Dead's work. But this guy? The only tactic he has in puffing himself up is to remind the trumpet player of OTHER PEOPLE'S work and then attach himself to those guys by association. "I once walked Bob Dylan on stage." Yeah, f*** off with that. People were there to see Bob Dylan, not YOU.

That being said, the midget had no desire to help the trumpet player out. The midget had no desire to see the trumpet player get better. And as an artist, there's no particular reason why he SHOULD. He apparently just wanted the trumpet player to stop playing. Still, acting like that is counterproductive. If this midget were an actual artist with an actual reputation who was getting actual work, then acting like a maniac in public just because he heard someone suck at playing the trumpet is stupid as $hit. The player either had the right/permission to perform there, or not. If not, then the midget should have just complained to the owners of the property or called the cops. And if the player did have the right/permission to perform there, then tough shit. Whether or not he sucks is f***ing irrelevant, he's allowed to be there and he's allowed to play. So suck it up and keep on walking, because any GREAT ARTIST should have long ago gotten accustomed to this $hit. Lowered barrier of entry means that the amount of bad art increases exponentially, yet you don't hear musicians who MATTER throw this kind of tantrum every time (or ANY time) they hear someone performing badly. Does this midget also lose his $hit every time he sees a bad TV commercial or a bad photograph or a bad menu layout? If it were in any way proper for well trained successful artists to act like this because they got exposed to bad art, then every great artist on the planet would have long ago put a gun to their heads to end their misery. I'm sure that Bob Dylan (if he's still alive) hears bad music too, but where is the youtube video of Bob Dylan throwing a temper tantrum because he happened to hear a musician performing subpar work?