Anyone Tried Microsoft Security Essentials?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

and how does it rank against other free antivrus software?

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

One of the best and possibly the best

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Seems to work well and doesn't hog resources
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Definitely one of the best, it's what I've used and I've had hardly any problems.
sundown19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sundown19
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts

As someone who removes viruses from computers as a part of his job, I'll say this: you get what you pay for.

Think about it like you might think about safe sex. Having some protection is better than having none. At the same time, however, would you rather name brand virus protection, or the kind dispensed from the restroom at your local 7-11?

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I did on my laptop and desktop both. Im not sure but didn't seem to work well for me. viruses got in my computers didn't warn me or anything, and I did the scan it didn't even find the viruses... I switched back to Avast, scanned found quite a few viruses that Security Essential didn't. and Avast warning with sound blocks better IMO.
SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
My new favourite. Install it and never have to even think about it again, it just works. I've not had any problems with it.
SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SilverSignal
[QUOTE="sundown19"]

As someone who removes viruses from computers as a part of his job, I'll say this: you get what you pay for.

Think about it like you might think about safe sex. Having some protection is better than having none. At the same time, however, would you rather name brand virus protection, or the kind dispensed from the restroom at your local 7-11?

So the only virus software worth having is the most expensive? Because that's rubbish.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Never used it, but Avast has given me not a single problem (and prevented tons) and is NOT a RAM-hog.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
it is a very good program for ease of use. It still does not find everything and cannot remove everything either. But then again certain programs are not as wide spread but are better at the actual difficult virus problems. Combofix for instance.
sundown19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sundown19

[QUOTE="sundown19"]

SilverSignal

So the only virus software worth having is the most expensive? Because that's rubbish.

Whoa there! I didn't say that at all. The fact of the matter is, NO antivirus software is 100% perfect; I haven't seen one yet that will catch everything.

...but I HAVE seen a LOT of computers come in with free antivirus software that viruses just seem to slip by. I've seen viruses slip by non-free software as well, but not to the extent that they do the free ones.

You can have the best, most expensive antivirus software out there, but if you continually do risky things online, you're asking for trouble.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I use it. It's great.

Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

Pretty solid.

SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SilverSignal
[QUOTE="sundown19"]

[QUOTE="SilverSignal"][QUOTE="sundown19"]

Whoa there! I didn't say that at all. The fact of the matter is, NO antivirus software is 100% perfect; I haven't seen one yet that will catch everything.

...but I HAVE seen a LOT of computers come in with free antivirus software that viruses just seem to slip by. I've seen viruses slip by non-free software as well, but not to the extent that they do the free ones.

You can have the best, most expensive antivirus software out there, but if you continually do risky things online, you're asking for trouble.

You said you get what you pay for and made some awful comparison to how the more expensive condoms are better.
PoorEdward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PoorEdward
Member since 2011 • 287 Posts

It's free and it doesn't take up as much harddrive as other softwares. It won't do processes you don't want it to do (like norton) and won't eat your RAM.

In my opinion, its the best you can get when it comes to antiviruses. :D

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

sundown19

That can't be true because Norton doesn't pay you to use their AV.

Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
I just switched to MSSE. I really like it.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="sundown19"]

metroidfood

haha, I like that.
nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

Yeah I use it and it's really good, pair it with malwarebytes and your computer will be very secure.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Best ive ever used
Explode50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Explode50
Member since 2007 • 356 Posts

Free and amazing

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

That good? AVG still does a good job for me but if it ever goes awry in any way, at least I've found a replacement.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I love it, and it works very well.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Very high quality for free software.

communistcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 communistcat
Member since 2010 • 1531 Posts

Yeah I use it and it's really good, pair it with malwarebytes and your computer will be very secure.

nickz_fpk

This is exactly what I do.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
It's good, especially considering it's free. One thing that makes me laugh about it though is regardless of whether I've just run a scan or not it will occasionally warn me I haven't run a scan in awhile.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
its amazing. my personal favorite.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

For free software you can't beat it

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I used to use AVG for years when I worked on someones computer that had it and I marveled at how small it was, how little resources it used, and how efficient it was at scanning and updating it self.

I went home about a year ago and uninstalled AVG and installed MSSE.
Haven't looked back since it intergrates almost guaranteed with the windows OS and its constant telling you your antivirus is out of date.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#30 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
Made me constantly crash. Use Avast.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

I use it because it's not as intruding as Mcafee and Norton. Those two always show pop ups like 500 times an hour whenever I have them.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I use it because it's not as intruding as Mcafee and Norton. Those two always show pop ups like 500 times an hour whenever I have them.

NiKva
That's probably because you have a **** load of viruses.
SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

That good? AVG still does a good job for me but if it ever goes awry in any way, at least I've found a replacement.

Spitfirer

I used AVG for a long time, after it failed me, along with norton( which I thought was a complete joke) I checked out MSE. It's great, does the job well, is not a RAM hog, doesn't force you to do things, etc. very nice. As someone else said in the tread, pair it with a good malware defender, and your set.

pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts

One of the best and possibly the best

James161324

Pretty much this. Its fast, light, runs quietly in the background and works great. I used to have avg a very long time ago until it became a resource hog. Avira is very good too but it has popups which you can disable after doing a few things.

MSE simply works perfectly from the start and have been using it for quite some time now and hasn't failed me.

-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts
Is it better than avast? I'm going to try it out right now.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
[QUOTE="NiKva"]

PernicioEnigma
That's probably because you have a **** load of viruses.

Nope. I don't even need an antivirus software, but my computer gets so butthurt if I don't. The 500 pop-ups were always telling me to pay my subscription.
Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts
I used to have it, it's pretty decent. Doesn't find everything, but will stop spyware. Not something I would want though if I were to get a Trojan or any intrusions. Norton to me is the best for that. Finds everything..
SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SilverSignal
Is it better than avast? I'm going to try it out right now.-Shooter-
No pop-ups. That's the main reason it's better. You just install and never have to touch it again. It just works. All software needs to be as simple.
sundown19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sundown19

Check out AVTest (http://www.av-test.org/en/home/ ...sorry...link not working)...they research antivirus programs. Their most recent test reports are from Q2 2011.

Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0: Protection score 2.5/6.0

Avast: Free AntiVirus 6.0: Protection score 5.0/6.0

Symantec: Norton Internet Security 2011: Protection score 5.0/6.0

Kaspersky: Internet Security 2011 & 2012: Protection score 5.5/6.0

These are just a few examples. See the whole list here (http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/quarter-22011/), for all rankings and reviews. Avast Free is in the top 10. AVG is in the top 10, but it doesn't look like it's the free version.

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="sundown19"]

Allicrombie

haha, I like that.

I don't even know what that means.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I use it, no problems.

Use another scanner like malwarebytes every now and again too, it'll often pick up stuff that other AVs won't.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

I use it and it works fine. You don't have to run it in the background either. That's why I stopped using other services.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

It protects my computer with the added benefit of not sticking out in my face. It's a great antivirus, never had issues while using it.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I thought it was good. However, it recently failed me in a rather catastrophic way.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

sundown19
wrong, I also work in IT and I usually remove garbage anti virus programs like norton and kapersky and I install MSE instead. it really is one of the best, even has an anti malware built in which most high priced anti virus programs do not.
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#45 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
Decent one...
sundown19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sundown19

[QUOTE="sundown19"]

IZoMBiEI

wrong, I also work in IT and I usually remove garbage anti virus programs like norton and kapersky and I install MSE instead. it really is one of the best, even has an anti malware built in which most high priced anti virus programs do not.

You're entitled to your opinion, but just saying that I'm "wrong" doesn't really mean anything.

Try this article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/210589/free_vs_fee_free_and_paid_antivirus_programs_compared.html

We found that, on the whole, paid antivirus products did a slightly better job at detecting malware than their freebie counterparts...

In real-world detection tests, free products missed 15.2 percent of samples, while paid products missed 10.2 percent of samples.

All the products we tested--both paid and free--detected all the test infections we threw their way, but paid products did a slightly better job overall at removing the active components of an infection, scoring a 74 percent success rate on average. The same held true when we tested how well the products removed all active and inactive components of an infection: Paid products achieved a 44 percent removal rate in this test, while free products averaged a full removal rate of 34 percent.

Also see: http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/do-you-really-need-to-pay-for-anti-virus-software-0876/

The only noticeable difference between the gratis and the paid programs was when it came to detecting some new threats, such as a website laced with newly created malware. Paid products, with their more elaborate system behavior monitors, are more likely to pick those up and to warn you about other possible dangers.

Free programs generally offer no telephone technical support. This can be a deal-breaker for any small business, or a family with multiple computer users.

And free programs don't, as a rule, offer parental controls that can keep kids off inappropriate sites or warn them about cyberstalking and bullying.

Free programs often also include advertising. This can be negligible, but ceaseless pop-up boxes pestering you to sign up for the paid version of whatever you're using can be quite distracting.

In the you-get-what-you-pay-for category, the paid programs are usually easier to install and run, and have fewer conflicts with other applications.

sundown19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sundown19

[QUOTE="IZoMBiEI"][QUOTE="sundown19"]

sundown19

You're entitled to your opinion, but just saying that I'm "wrong" doesn't really mean anything.

Try this article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/210589/free_vs_fee_free_and_paid_antivirus_programs_compared.html

We found that, on the whole, paid antivirus products did a slightly better job at detecting malware than their freebie counterparts...

In real-world detection tests, free products missed 15.2 percent of samples, while paid products missed 10.2 percent of samples.

All the products we tested--both paid and free--detected all the test infections we threw their way, but paid products did a slightly better job overall at removing the active components of an infection, scoring a 74 percent success rate on average. The same held true when we tested how well the products removed all active and inactive components of an infection: Paid products achieved a 44 percent removal rate in this test, while free products averaged a full removal rate of 34 percent.

Also see: http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/do-you-really-need-to-pay-for-anti-virus-software-0876/

The only noticeable difference between the gratis and the paid programs was when it came to detecting some new threats, such as a website laced with newly created malware. Paid products, with their more elaborate system behavior monitors, are more likely to pick those up and to warn you about other possible dangers.

Free programs generally offer no telephone technical support. This can be a deal-breaker for any small business, or a family with multiple computer users.

And free programs don't, as a rule, offer parental controls that can keep kids off inappropriate sites or warn them about cyberstalking and bullying.

Free programs often also include advertising. This can be negligible, but ceaseless pop-up boxes pestering you to sign up for the paid version of whatever you're using can be quite distracting.

In the you-get-what-you-pay-for category, the paid programs are usually easier to install and run, and have fewer conflicts with other applications.

From the beginning, this is all I was saying: Some protection is better than no protection, but the protection you pay for is, on the whole, better protection. This is not meant to negate free antivirus programs, merely to point out that "free" does not always equal "the same" or "better".

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="sundown19"]

IZoMBiEI

How in the world is Kapersky garbage?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

sundown19

Except, he's more than likely right in this case;

MSE more effective than McAfee: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-vs-mcafee-how-free-antivirus-outperformed-paid/2614

Third party AV tester showed extremely good results for MSE: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10366232-83.html

For the primary purpose of virus and malware removal, its seriously difficult to recommend a home user anything other than free AV.