• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChampTKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChampTKE
Member since 2002 • 4730 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a handgun to keep in the house just in case, but I don't know anything about guns.  anyone got a good suggestion for a first timer?  please don't give me any of that tree-hugger "guns are dangerous" crap.  there are certain communities where guns are required to be in every home.  and guess what?  no one's house gets broken into!
SSJ_GOTENKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 SSJ_GOTENKS
Member since 2006 • 1489 Posts
I got a pellet gun lol, my dad gots a 12 gauge barret gun, sniper rifle, and a turkey gun (unno name lol)
morewasabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 morewasabi
Member since 2006 • 1641 Posts
Based on my experience with Halo, plasma rifles are usually a good choice.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
if i had to get one i'd go with a 357 magnum :D
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

This is a good pistol for home defense. It can do the job with minimal collateral damage. http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm

This is a good one if you need to kill or just completely blow a hole through them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44_Magnum

TheMadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheMadGamer
Member since 2003 • 8670 Posts

My dad has a shotgun under his bed... although  I don't personally own a gun.

ChampTKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChampTKE
i'd rather start off with a handgun.  how's the needler?
L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
An eagle would be cool but i don't ever want to own a gun, its more likely to hurt a family member then an intruder. there are a lot of stat. #s on it. :(
ChampTKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChampTKE
i live alone, so i'm not worried about hurting anyone i care about.  unless they break into my apartment for some reason
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

My dad has a shotgun under his bed... although I don't personally own a gun.

TheMadGamer

I keep a shotgun for home defense as well.  I mean, if someone is crazy enough to keep harassing me while I'm standing there with a 12 gauge pointed at them, they deserve what's coming to them. 

NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NextGenNow
Member since 2007 • 2622 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a handgun to keep in the house just in case, but I don't know anything about guns.  anyone got a good suggestion for a first timer?  please don't give me any of that tree-hugger "guns are dangerous" crap.  there are certain communities where guns are required to be in every home.  and guess what?  no one's house gets broken into!ChampTKE

Well I owns lots of gunz :D

I restore lots of weapons too.

Here is a Pick of a Pre-WW2 Czech Mauser and a Russian AK.

I sanded down the stock on the Mauser and had to restore the chamber...she also has some nasty barrel erosion. Clean her up really nice...I'm gonna go full out synthetic stock for the AK though. I'm also gonna do some work with the barrel. I was gonna get to work on it forever ago but I been playin mad games as of late...

As for a recomendation.....

I would say Berreta Chambered in .40 S & W.....

Of course most home defense people would say the hands down best would be a 12 gauge....but I'm going for easy concealment and easy hiding...;)

And too the mods those are both legally owned weapons that any 18 yr old kid can pick up at a Gun Show....:)

Well at least where I live.

Honenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Honenheim
Member since 2007 • 5402 Posts
nah dont like guns i can box pretty good
Steelers_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Steelers_86
Member since 2003 • 2268 Posts

my family has always kept guns in the house. i have one but i am not allowed to have it in the apartment complex that i currently live in, so it stays with my dad

ChampTKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChampTKE

my family has always kept guns in the house. i have one but i am not allowed to have it in the apartment complex that i currently live in, so it stays with my dad

Steelers_86

as an american you have the right to bare arms (so long as your not a felon)  tell your landlord to suck it.  thanks for the help guys

Bampaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bampaz
Member since 2007 • 500 Posts
Get some stuff like that http://www.defenderguns.com/accessories.phtml
tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
nah.....just got a couple of rocket launchers,chainsaws and grenades.
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts

I love guns.

Bampaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bampaz
Member since 2007 • 500 Posts

nah.....just got a couple of rocket launchers,chainsaws and grenades.tratyu92

do you think this is sarcastic or even funny? 

jakeboudville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jakeboudville
Member since 2004 • 90576 Posts
yes..a water gun:P
bminns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bminns
Member since 2004 • 4052 Posts
i have a bit of knowledge about guns, i deer hunt and dove hunt. if you want a hand gun, i would get a magnum, they deal MAJOR damage... if you don't want one that powerful, get a 9mm or a .22
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
How about a S&W Model 629?
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AngelB1ack
Short barrel pistol grip 12 guage or a handgun .40caliber. I use a .40 caliber carbine very short and easy to move around corners etc.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

How about one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_cannon

It may be a bit heavy to move with so just shoot through the walls of your appartment from a stand

AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AngelB1ack
Yea, to heck with the neighbors if they get in the way it's their fault!
bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bobwill1
Member since 2003 • 2487 Posts

Well, if it's something that you don't intend to shoot until the very instant that you need it, get a revolver, you don't have as many possible ways for that thing to jam.  For instance, even a properly functioning semi-auto can experience failures to eject, failures to feed, a strike on a bad primer, a well made properly maintained firearm with good factory ammunition will greatly reduce the chance of these; however, s*** happens.  With a revolver, unless the gun is broken you should always be able to just pull the hammer back again, and move onto the next chamber.  Also, don't buy anything too powerful (as recoil will be unpleasent), but don't go too weak (lack of stopping power).

Of course, I would personally recommend atleast a few trips to the shooting range to familiarize yourself with the firearm.  Get some snap caps, and dry-fire away.  Also, a firearms safety course can never hurt.  Here's a revolver that should be good for home defense http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=308&return=Y  You can shoot 9mm, .357 magnum, or .38 special.

Actually, I think that a decent 12-gauge shotgun would be better than a handgun, or you could get a decent carbine.   A carbine would be far more accurate than a handgun, be more comfortable to shoot, and be more powerful.   And, well, when you're talking about somebody nearby, with a 12-guage coach gun there just really isn't a such thing as a near miss. ;)

Of course, I've been looking to add an old 19th century (or reproduction thereof) single action revolver to my personal collection, and I've recently started joking that the Walker Colt would make a great home defence weapon.  I can just imagine many a criminal stopping in their tracks when they see somebody pointing a 4-1/2lbs medieval looking revolver with a 9" barrel chambered in something around .45 caliber at them.:)

dw32005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dw32005
Member since 2006 • 638 Posts
If you just want something for protection i would say like the guy above me you don't want something to big b/c the recoil plays a big role in accuracy.  I would get something like a snub nose .38 special or something of the likes if i were you.  Its a revolver its got fairley decent power and is small enough to conceal, incase you dont want anybody else knowing about it.  And you can really never go wrong with a shot gun as long as there well maintained.  Because you have to have a pretty bad aim to miss with some .00 but if your that bad you could always get some 4 shot or soemthing.  Or you could got with an even smaller shot if you just want them to know you mean business and not totally blow them to bits.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
if i had to get one i'd go with a 357 magnum :DX360PS3AMD05
My dad bought one of those.  Pretty cool gun.
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StarFox-Elite
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
A Smith&Wessen .45 revolver would make my day...
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StarFox-Elite
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

Either that or the M4 Carbine, I used one on a shooting range before, and wow, they are very nice to use, I'd have one of them over any other gun anyday (or that one I said above, the same pistol Dirty Harry/Harry Callahan uses)...

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a handgun to keep in the house just in case, but I don't know anything about guns.  anyone got a good suggestion for a first timer?  please don't give me any of that tree-hugger "guns are dangerous" crap.  there are certain communities where guns are required to be in every home.  and guess what?  no one's house gets broken into!ChampTKE

Get a 12 Gauge Shotgun. A Mossberg or a Remington. Shotgun is much cheaper than a pistol.

The Best thing to get for someone that is not familar with guns is a revolver. It always fires and it's low maintenance. No locks and you don't have to worry about replacing the springs as non of the springs are under constant tension. Like a .38 Special or a .357 Magnum. A .357 Magnum is a .38 Magnum. You're better off to get the .357 Magnum chamber because it will accept .38 Special and .357 Magnum as a .38 won't accept .357 Magnum because the cartridge is longer than the cylinder. .357 Magnum is also a very bullet for it's size.

As for Automatics I prefer

Beretta's Model 84, 85 & 92.

Sig Sauer's 220 & 226

Smith & Wesson's 59 series.

Colt' & Kimber's Government models (known as the 1911) Specificly Colt's 70 Series.

Glock is a sheap auto. It's accurate and reliable. Plus there is no safety. It has a trigger disconect. that is disengaged when you pull the trigger. The action is safe so there is no need for the lock safety. Glocks are tacky but they are quality. And they are cocked which keeps the action constant. There is no trigger stage nor action transition.

So if you want a pistol you would be best to get a glock or a revolver. You don't need any response training/practice with them because all you have to do is point and squeeze the trigger.

muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts

I live in britain so guns are obviously not as easy to get... at all.

But the prospect of actually shooting someone is something i would probably struggle to bring myself to do. Only if i was lik ereally annoyed or really drunk. I would just get something that looks lethal but not load it. 

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MagnumPI

I would just get something that looks lethal but not load it. muppet1010
Big mistake, not everyone can be intimidated by an object. Doing so may put yourself in more danger.  If the person has a weapon and is willing to use it without hesitation you will be dead before you have chance to say "Wait, it's fake!" And even if you do he may not believe you. Might assume it's a trick to distract him. That's why they say don't play around with weapons. Either use it or lose. As in use it, holster it or drop it.

There should be no sympathy for someone whom threatens you. He or she is a grown man or woman. They know the rules of the game. If they don't want to get hurt they shouldn't be playing the game.

Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts

I have a gun. I call him Jeremy.

Jeremy:

Ruben360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ruben360
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
Like guns make the USA a save place to live *cough*
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

How about one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_cannon

It may be a bit heavy to move with so just shoot through the walls of your appartment from a stand

markop2003
lol
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MagnumPI

Like guns make the USA a save place to live *cough*Ruben360

It's like you have this idea in your head that people can be controled. They can't. They can be detered but never controlled nor stopped.

No such thing as a safe place, that's a fairy tale. Been around guns my entire life. Everyone around me whom is authorized to own and be in the presence of firearm has always owned guns. There has NEVER been a gun related issue  anywhere near my area nor close by. But I live uptown so that's why.

I could kill anybody at any moment, with my two bare hands. The only thing that stops me is the fact that I don't want to harm another person without reason and so far homocide has not been necessary.

You're safe because other people keep you safe, that's the only reason you are safe, but it won't always be that way. So if you depend on everyone else to fight for you, to fend for you, to protect you you won't survive if you have to because you're not prepared to.

Safety is an illusion. You are never safe NEVER. Anything could happen at any moment in time. It just hasn't happened to you yet because danger hasn't crossed your path. There is no safe FOREVER. There is safe FOR NOW, the moment. I trust my neighbor not to harm me and that's all I can do, because I can't contol him.

Others like to say "It's safer here, because we don't have guns" BS!! It's BS!!

SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SAURON221
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts
A .45 will stop any intruder.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MagnumPI

A .45 will stop any intruder.SAURON221

So will a 9mm, provided he's not wearing body armor and hopped up, but at that point they won't really feel anything you hit them with. Plus the drug will keep them alive for several minutes even though under normal circumstances they would be dead. So I guess knock down power is more important than killing power.

The Sig 220 and the Government are nice pistol and a .45 caliber slug does produce a lerge wound, but I don't it's gonna send them hurling to the ground. .357 magnum shoots better and packs a heavier punch.

I'd still go with the 12 gauge shotgun. It puts it far more muzzle energy that a pistol. It's about the equivilant of 7.62mm rifle. Buckshot is a much better alternative to pistol slugs. Standard 00 & 000 buckshot is 8-10 pellet, but the magnums are 12-15-18 pellete. Al ranging from .30-35 caliber in size. Som a tad larger. Then you have #4 buck which will cut em up. Standard is 27 pellete, magnums are 41-54 pellete. Pelletes are a litter larger tha BBs. Finally #1 buck which is larger than #4 but smaler than 000. Avaliable 16 & 24 pellete. Or you can use single shot Slugs that are about 50 caliber in size. Some MFG make a slug that expands to the size of a silver dollar or larger upon impact.

The shotgun is the cheapest option. a 18" barrel manual action will run from $175-$300. While A quality pistol is much more, $600 and beyond.

With a 12 gauge 00 buck 3" magnum you send 15 slugs his or her way ever shell. Or 9 with the 2-3/4" shell. There is a 00  2-3/4" Magnum shell that delivers 12 slugs per shell but it's on the pricey side.

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrooklynBomber
Member since 2007 • 1507 Posts
For home security a shotgun is best just the sound of a mosberg pump will be enoungh unless they are drunk or high push with the spread and stopping power even with a vest they will be put down.
TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 TheJustin
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a handgun to keep in the house just in case, but I don't know anything about guns. anyone got a good suggestion for a first timer? please don't give me any of that tree-hugger "guns are dangerous" crap. there are certain communities where guns are required to be in every home. and guess what? no one's house gets broken into!ChampTKE

If you just want it for self defense then I personally suggest a Smaller pump action shotgun. Smaller so it doesn't take much room and it would make moving with/aiming it easier and pump action so you get the opportunity to not have to use it. Most shotguns are pretty loud when you pump them and that sound alone is so distinctive and it will let anyone in earshot know exactly what you have. If you don't want a shotgun I suggest a smaller caliber pistol. roughly around 9mm or .32 or something. They are easier on the ears and you won't lose much hearing per shot.
bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bobwill1

[QUOTE="ChampTKE"]I'm thinking about buying a handgun to keep in the house just in case, but I don't know anything about guns. anyone got a good suggestion for a first timer? please don't give me any of that tree-hugger "guns are dangerous" crap. there are certain communities where guns are required to be in every home. and guess what? no one's house gets broken into!TheJustin

If you just want it for self defense then I personally suggest a Smaller pump action shotgun. Smaller so it doesn't take much room and it would make moving with/aiming it easier and pump action so you get the opportunity to not have to use it. Most shotguns are pretty loud when you pump them and that sound alone is so distinctive and it will let anyone in earshot know exactly what you have. If you don't want a shotgun I suggest a smaller caliber pistol. roughly around 9mm or .32 or something. They are easier on the ears and you won't lose much hearing per shot.

I was in a gun store a while back, and there was a cop, or atleast guy claiming to be an off-duty cop, (I don't usually card people to verify they are who they say they are) and he was saying that your statement isn't really that true anymore. Atleast not for areas like Baltimore. Yes the guy will run away; but, now he knows that you have a shotgun. He won't come back if he thinks you're home, he'll come back when he's pretty sure you're not home, to try to steal the shotgun. Of course, that's a good advertisement to have a good gunsafe near your bedroom, because then you just end up with missing property, and a frustrated criminal.

ChampTKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ChampTKE

Like guns make the USA a save place to live *cough*Ruben360

everyone owning nukes seems to keep us pretty safe... like Magnum PI said, you're never safe forever.  if someone breaks into my house, what am i supposed to say "You better leave, i don't have a gun!"

seriously thanks for the help guys.  who knew this would turn into the most replied thread i've ever started

bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bobwill1
so, have you made up a decision on what you're planning to get?
steve_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 steve_89
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts
who needs a gun when you live in Canada! lol
delol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 delol
Member since 2005 • 8793 Posts
i got a pocket knife
flavort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#46 flavort
Member since 2003 • 3794 Posts

Go to the range and try a few. I thing the Glock 17, or 19 is a good choice. Australian made takes loads of abuse. The county cops here use them. City uses sigs which are good but I am not a fan of them. I might be used to the Glock. Berettas are also great guns.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
Just, uh, don't get a gun. Basically. I'm pretty sure getting a handgun puts you at a little more risk for some things...
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
I don't own a gun, but man of my friends do.
OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 OODALOOP
Member since 2004 • 36350 Posts
Get a SIG P226. Great handgun, reliable.
bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bobwill1

[QUOTE="ChampTKE"]I'm thinking about buying a handgun to keep in the house just in case, but I don't know anything about guns. anyone got a good suggestion for a first timer? please don't give me any of that tree-hugger "guns are dangerous" crap. there are certain communities where guns are required to be in every home. and guess what? no one's house gets broken into!flavort

Go to the range and try a few. I thing the Glock 17, or 19 is a good choice. Australian made takes loads of abuse. The county cops here use them. City uses sigs which are good but I am not a fan of them. I might be used to the Glock. Berettas are also great guns.

Glocks are Austrian, not Australian. ;)