Any engineering students/grads here? how is/was college life?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Merc009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Merc009
Member since 2007 • 2620 Posts

Are the hours you spend solving math problems no different than the hours any other major would spend reading ?

I want to try engineering, I like thinking and math, at the moment im only taking college algebrah but everyone makes it seem impossible

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Are the hours you spend solving math problems no different than the hours any other major would spend reading ?

I want to try engineering, I like thinking and math, at the moment im only taking college algebrah but everyone makes it seem impossible

Merc009

Engeneering is one of the most time intensive majors there is. My engeneering major friends have very little free time. None of them have jobs because they don't have time. Let me give you this peice of advice. If you didn't take at least calc 1 in highschool and do well then engineering probably isn't for you.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

it's not impossible. though at times it definitely seemed like a lot more work than folks in other majors... if nothing else that perception will lead towards a feeling of camaraderie with your fellow enginerds and bitterness towards other students who aren't really "earning" their degrees :P

fyi. 11 years in the field ( computer engineering ) and maybe 4-6 of the classes i took in school had any usefullness beyond getting my degree...

Marth6781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marth6781
Member since 2007 • 2564 Posts
If you feel as if you can do it then do it. Don't let anyone scare you into not doing it by saying if you can't take such and such math, blah blah blah. It's all about determination and how often you study. Some people have to study more than others. I've had plenty of free time. Studying Aerospace engineering btw. Calc 1 is easy as hell... Cal 2 on the other hand is where it gets hard cal 3 is the easiest one from what I've been told.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Based on the stories I got from a friend who has his degree: Lots of drinking.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
Run. Don't do it. Save yourself while you still can!
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#7 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
What do you want to engineer? A new weapon of mass destruction? You scientists are all the same.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
I was aerospace. Really wasn't time-intensive at all. I had WAY too much free time, even with a part-time job for the majority of my undergrad. There were times when I wouldn't leave the computer lab for basically the entire day or longer, but those were few and far between (mainly for one course). But I didn't have Fridays off until my very last semester, while it seemed like all the other majors never had Friday classes to begin with. :( The pure math aspect isn't difficult. It's just the calc sequence, linear algebra, and then ordinary differential equations. The hard part is when you actually start injecting a lot of that math into your higher level engineering courses. But like the first guy said, take Calc 1 (or AB or whatever it's called in high school). If you can handle it, go for it.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Senior in Applied Math, Engineering, and Physics here (don't worry, it's only one majorhttp://www.math.wisc.edu/~amep/Site/Courses.html).

It's really not that bad other than a couple classes (vector calculus and thermodynamics). I find I have more free time than a lot of other engineers, even with Naval ROTC, which is about a 10 hour time commitment a week. I did take calc 1/2 in high school so I don't know exactly how difficult it is in real college but they weren't that bad.

Overall, if you're good at math, you'll do fine.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comp_atkins
What do you want to engineer? A new weapon of mass destruction? You scientists are all the same.SolidSnake35
or come up with a way to get women interested in them....
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
I'm an going into electrical engineering. At my school, if you start failing your engineering classes, you switch to a business major.
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
I was a Civil Engineering student and it was not very hard and I had plenty of time to have fun.... But if you are already in college and only taking college algebra, then engineering might not be for you.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
I can't speak really from an engineering standpoint, but I was a biochemistry major for my first two years... Taking gen chem 1 and 2 and calculus and stuff. It's hard. You have no real time to spend on yourself, and I barely tried. I'm sure if you were really aching for the A in calculus and calculus 2 you could do it...but remember, it takes a ton of time and effort to get an A in either class. Especially, calc 2. Chemistry was pretty easy actually, but I didn't try as hard as I should have. Gen chem 1 is easy peezzy... Do it if you feel you won't be missing out on other things you could be doing with your time instead of studying. Calculus is easy too. Calculus 2 is the real challenge. I had to drop out after 2 weeks. Screw that. Changed my major and am not biochem anymore, or science even.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
I'm going for computer engineering but I've only had 1 engineering class (intro to engineering) and it was moderately difficult (especially for a 2 credit class, that was BS), although I think half of it was because I hated the class and it didn't even cover anything in my major.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
Well I got a physics major. It was a LOT of work, but generally I found it rewarding. I'm glad I did, but I also spent a lot of time doing homework while my friends were hanging out.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Its lonely :(

<- Comp Sci

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lo_Pine
In short, it sucks. Major in something else if you don't want it to suck. The life sucks. Get what I mean?
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#18 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

graduated with a bachelor in mechanical engineering, went and did a master's in occupational and environmental health and safety.

comparing the two is a joke. both of them are time consuming, one is math and applied science intensive, the other a whole lot of research and time spent reading studies and literary reviews. The two demand different kinds of work.

Urban Dictionary itself has some humorous descriptions of my engineering college.

when i was doing my bachelor, i had very little free time. well i should correct myself... i did have free time in my first 2 and half years because i was fvcking around a lot and procrastinating. it was only until the second half did i seem to get my $hit straightened out and started taking courses more seriously.

I excelled in material sciences, themodynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer. but for fvck sake don't ask me to program something on Matlab. I can do somethings just nothing advanced could never quite grasp it. but C++? not really a problem.

I did find it ironic though - at least in my experience - the most intensive time was the middle portion of my undergrad. the last year of my undergrad had very little complex mathmatics involved with a lot less intensity as well. Atleast in comparison to the middle courses.

when i did my masters in safety every semester was writing research papers, a ton of reading, following different regulatory bodies. the most math intensive course was industrial hygiene and that was basically measuring the quantities of certain gases using basic algebra equations.

i'll go one step further and share this bit of info.

my GPA going into bachelor : 3.2

my lowpoint in bachelor : 1.99

when i finished bachelor: 2.47

when i did my master's i went in under probation status.

first semester GPA was : 4.0

i finished my grad with : 3.8

yeah..

the only thing i can really offer, and have offered to prospective students and freshmen in engineering is time management is king, and you have to want to be there in the first place, be math and science oriented, and lastly DO NOT slack off in the beginning simply because they're easy courses. every A you earn in the beginning will soften any hit you just have to absorb if you take the harder more intense courses.

At least in my case and quite a lot of peers and friends in the program, we had to take a lot of hits on our GPA from some of our courses.

my worst grade was my one D i have on my transcript, for Design of Machine Components. but the way the professor taught that class you knew your $hit even if you could never get passed his grading. with a bit of scratch paper, time and a calculator i can make you a well meshed long lasting gear box. That was how we did everything, no computers beyond calculator for the long equations. exams took 6+ hours to solve 3 questions and if you were off by .1 degree on a transverse degree your stuff isn't gonna mesh and your results won't make any sense.

to give you an idea on his grading, if you screwed up that .1 degree, you lost half or more of the points possible for it. that's 1/6th or more of the points possible instantly gone for a simple mistake, even if your entire process is right.

when we had assignment packets, same styled questions, take just as long to solve, sometimes ranging from 9 to 19 questions. if you did not number the questions (just numbering it) you could lose as much as quarter of your grade, this isn't even for solving the questions yet. this happened to me, and is only one of two times i've ever yelled at a professor in my life.

but this was the worst experience i ever had at college.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 comp_atkins
Well I got a physics major. It was a LOT of work, but generally I found it rewarding. I'm glad I did, but I also spent a lot of time doing homework while my friends were hanging out.Acemaster27
but you get to enjoy being employed while they look for work :P
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

You'll have to get used to very little free time...unless you're some kind of magical wonder-child. The payoff is worth it, but you've got to endure a lot of !@#$ for 4-5 years.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lo_Pine

I mean, God, some of you are so nerdy. Go have fun for once. REAL fun.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

Merc009

as some one with a masters in astronautical engineering im going to have to tell you that if you aren't taking calculas by 12th grade most engineering degrees/programs are closed to you.

even then an engineering major is HIGHLY INTENSIVE you will be doing A LOT and i mean A LOT of realy realy hard math.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

It's very time intensive and difficult. Unless you're very smart and can pick up things quickly, engineering is a degree that simply requires more time and effort than most degrees. Don't get me started with those damn 1 unit upper division labs that easily take more than 10 hours every week, and that might not even include writing the actual report lol. Try getting through the lower division math and science courses and see how you feel about it. If you want to switch majors at that point, those courses should cover most of your lower division requirements for other degrees anyway.

Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts
I was in computer engineering...didn't do to well. Felt like I was rushed from high school to college. But all the things I'm reading up here seem to be extremely helpful tips.. or most of them.
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
its hard doing that math physics, and countless labs while other students have some tequilllaa and don't think that you are gonna out earn those big time finance degrees or those medical field kids.
Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shift05
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts

I am currently in school for mechanical engineering, and attempting to get a minor in computer science, I feel it can get overwhelming at times very easy.(Also not too excited that my courses have barely, if any, girls, but that shouldnt hold weight in your selection.)

Funny story..when I told my optometrist my selection for my major, compared to my brothers selection in art, he told me science degrees are harder than art, we can't sit around and drink and paint pictures while going through college, which I found amusing. (it was sarcasm, so please dont get offended if your an art major :P.)

ca5albert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ca5albert
Member since 2012 • 92 Posts
It's all about determination and how often you study. Some people have to study more than others. I've had plenty of free time. Studying Aerospace engineering btw.
huytttr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 huytttr
Member since 2007 • 816 Posts
I'm going for computer engineering but I've only had 1 engineering class (intro to engineering) and it was moderately difficult (especially for a 2 credit class, that was BS), although I think half of it was because I hated the class and it didn't even cover anything in my major. Toxic-Seahorse
Nice. Rare to see a comp engineer. I am in comp engineer and comp science (only sophomore right now), but so far it's not too difficult. But I've heard it gets harder as you get into upper division stuff. And the better the engineering school=the harder the work (for most schools). So keep that in mind if you decide to go to a tough school.
killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
What do you want to engineer? A new weapon of mass destruction? You scientists are all the same.SolidSnake35
lolwut? I hope this is a joke... :P On topic: Engineering is tough, only do it if you have a passion for it.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Aero student, not much free time and too much work to do (mostly lab reports and coursework), not fun in the least and there are almost no girls around but there's still enough time to enjoy university and have friends, and it's all worth it in the end
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Im doing electrical engineering.

I enjoy it lots, Its perfect for me. But its hard. There is lots of maths, lots of practical work that can be time consuming and if you want to do really well lots of reading around you need to do.

On the other hand, you should make friends easy because you will meet people of similar tastes, and therefore you can have fun. You will get less free time than many other subjects, but its the price you pay for doing a REAL course :P

It is rewarding, and you should enjoy it providing you were previously into the content beforehand.

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts

Funny story..when I told my optometrist my selection for my major, compared to my brothers selection in art, he told me science degrees are harder than art, we can't sit around and drink and paint pictures while going through college, which I found amusing. (it was sarcasm, so please dont get offended if your an art major :P.)Shift05
It's true, though - English lit students at my uni have over 3 times less contact hours per week than maths students

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

It doesn't matter, all major suck... Engineering, Medicine, Law, Philosphy, ... they all suck.

Screw ilife.

chad_daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chad_daddy
Member since 2008 • 500 Posts
i think it depends on the uni, mit engineers are great. harvard business kids, etc.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

You may not have as much free time as you like to drink, work, socialize or even play video games. That said, I've had plenty of free time, though, especially in the first two years. I WORK MY ASS OFF IN THE SUMMER AND WINTER BREAKS SO I DO NOT HAVE TO DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PIVOTAL. I cannot fathom working full-time while going to school full-time while attempting to get an engineering degree. Your GPA may very well be lower than what you consider acceptable in spite of many hours of studying and working problems. Those are really the only downsides.

If you want to do it, go for it. You'll know soon enough whether or not it "is for you."

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I found the liberal arts courses far harder and more time consuming than any actual engineering courses. :/ Give me Thermodynamics over English any time any day. :x

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90

I found the liberal arts courses far harder and more time consuming than any actual engineering courses. :/ Give me Thermodynamics over English any time any day. :x

Storm_Marine

lol wat

I spent, like, a few hours crunching papers for English classes, and showed up to the actual lectures erry once win a while

Got As.

EASIEST CLASSES EVER

all u need to do is write properly, WRT spelling, grammar, content development, citations, and otherwise abiding by THE RULES

Same w/ history, econ, philosophy, music theory, etc.

Granted, ALL WERE LOWER LEVEL, REQ'D GEN EDS

fvck gen eds and "well-roundedness"

I FEEL SO ENLIGHTENED AND EDUCATED

j/k - most my learnings come from the internet

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

As someone who has been thinking about becoming a Software Engineer, this thread makes me think Computer programmer might just be smarter.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

whatever you do don't do biomedical engineering.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-598fc45371265

kingkong0124

why not? I have a brother in law that's in that field. I think he makes decent money.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolbeans90

kingkong0124

^

this * 1000000000000

TruFax (TM)

if trying to engie undergrad while trying to get into medical school (LOL, if you do), do chemical instead. Can get $$ if sh!t falls apart that way.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

Storm_Marine

why not? I have a brother in law that's in that field. I think he makes decent money.

heard from friends it's hard as fvck and that most people switch to industrial after the first semester
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90

I suppose that I shouldn't dish biomed on the basis of money since I'm mechie, but biomed is neither $$$$$$$$$ or FUN FUN FUN (which mech is all about)

o

if i were to do a gay major for money

PETROLEUMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

kingkong0124

heard from friends it's hard as fvck and that most people switch to industrial after the first semester

It probably is.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I majored in software engineering and I personally didnt find it that time consuming. I had a part time job and had enough free time to hang out with friends, work out, and for gaming. Granted, I went to a high school that offered programming courses and I was really really good at it, so I had a bit of a head start. I will say that other majors, especially liberal art majors, are much much much easier.
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts

kingkong0124

Well I don't think you should choose a field based on difficulty, but biomedical is not a very general degree Do electrical/mechanical and then get into it later. Same goes for aerospace, mechanical is just as good for undergrad.

Also I never expected so many smart kids to be on gamespot. i thought they were all leftists

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

fun

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
I wasn't an engineer major, but I went to a university with one of the top engineering programs in the entire country. It seemed like everybody was an engineer major. From what they told me, and all their experiences, I'd say it is one of the hardest majors out there. They specifically had the first course be hard as sh*t so they could weed out the people who just weren't cut to it. If you want to be an engineer, then you to be COMMITTED.