An age limit to wear things (sneakers, graphic Ts & etc)?

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

I got into a debate not too long ago with someone similar to my age (26). We discussed if there was an age limit to wearing sneakers such as Vans, Air Force 1s and Chuck Taylors when a person reaches 30yrs old or older? I am an avid Air Force 1 collector and I can't see my hobby going away anytime soon. With that being said I know when and where to wear them, I usually sport them on family vacations, if I am hanging out with my friends or on casual errands and hang outs. I usually wear them with collared shirts and nice jeans. I occasionally wear graphic T-shirts with them and I usually try to match the shoe color subtly. I only get to do this when I am free and work on weekends. Work week I am dress for success (shirt, tie and slacks).

My rival however feels at a certain age someone should stop wearing sneakers completely and should always be dressed as if they are going to work or wearing some sort dress shoe or boots. It makes them feel more adult when they dress this way. Or fear of running into clients outside of work. To me if you're an adult you take care of your family, your bills and any obligations you have. Just because you dress a certain way doesn't automatically make you better than anyone else if you aren't handling your responsibilities.

In some cases I do agree sneakers shouldn't be worn to a nice dinner, a wedding, job interview or job fair or a very ritzy club event. Other than that why should one conform to what is a norm to some people and strange to others.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

I usually wear leather shoes, but Chucks never go out of style. I'm not big on sneakers when I'm not working out, but if that's your thing then sure (you're 26, not 40)

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

You should wear what you wanna wear when you wanna wear it. And you should be prepare to take the heat if you don't care for decorum.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Would say it's more a time and place thing

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

A balance. Like don't wear basketball shorts and a t shirt everywhere you go.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

There is no age limit as long as you make it look good. When you can't anymore, stop wearing it. You might want to retire your chucks for good when you have to start thinking about putting orthopedics in them.

Though I think middleaged women should stop dressing like 20somethings. The bedazzled ass on your overpriced jeans does not go with your impending menopause. And you do not look cute wearing a velour sweatsuit out in public. It is loungewear, not grocery shopping attire, you look dumb.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Just what we need, more limits!

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Iszdope said:

69 dude.

69er

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I think the limit shouldn't be age but whenever you're wearing them not because you like it or feel that you can wear them comfortably and are only doing it because you're trying to show everybody you're still "young and cool". My dressing style is a bit more formal but that's because I feel the most comfortable with it, so wear whatever you want, as long as you know when to dress up if needed (ie. formal events).

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Dude, I didn't even read your opening post;

Wear whatever the heck that gives you a cool feeling ,for as long as it gives you the cool feeling, no matter how old you are.

I'm 20, not even bordering 21, and I can't help wearing suits,formal clothes.You know why? 'cause it makes me feel good,to look a bit different than other kids my age.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

it depends on the individual and can they pull it off

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@elkoldo said:

Dude, I didn't even read your opening post;

Wear whatever the heck that gives you a cool feeling ,for as long as it gives you the cool feeling, no matter how old you are.

I'm 20, not even bordering 21, and I can't help wearing suits,formal clothes.You know why? 'cause it makes me feel good,to look a bit different than other kids my age.

This.

Wear what makes you feel comfortable. You shouldn't wear clothes to make other people feel comfortable. Just be smart about where and when you wear certain things. Formal events obviously call for ties and shirts with dress shoes. If you are just chilling with friends, heck you can wear a tracksuit for all you care as long as you feel good in it.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

being an adult has zero to do with what you wear and anyone who is only wearing something because it makes them feel like an adult is much closer to immature than someone who is wearing sneakers and graphic tee's. wear what you like to wear, the end... there is no discussion or argument to be had. the only thing that makes someone an adult is age, everything else is personality. personality may change with experience but if it doesn't change that doesn't make you any less of an adult.

it really bugs me that most people's idea of maturity is to basically be less fun... maturity is being yourself and not getting in the way of others doing the same.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

@MuD3 said:

being an adult has zero to do with what you wear and anyone who is only wearing something because it makes them feel like an adult is much closer to immature than someone who is wearing sneakers and graphic tee's. wear what you like to wear, the end... there is no discussion or argument to be had. the only thing that makes someone an adult is age, everything else is personality. personality may change with experience but if it doesn't change that doesn't make you any less of an adult.

it really bugs me that most people's idea of maturity is to basically be less fun... maturity is being yourself and not getting in the way of others doing the same.

Preach!