Am I the only one here who's not into social networking? (facebook,twitter,etc.)

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

People don't know the 300-600 "friends" on facebook than they do anyone on here.

Pirate700

Hmm? Both my gf and I have only friended people we know. And I'm pretty sure that most of my friends and family are the same way. You don't need to go and look for people you don't know if you don't want to.

Right. But I'd reckon the majority of kiddos on facebook, with their hundreds of friends don't really know more than 10-15 of them that they actually really know.

I'd say thats false. Its not unrealistic to be interacting with 30-50 people over facebook at any given period of time( as in over a month or so). Having a lot of people on facebook has a purpose. Just because you're not engaged with all of them at one moment, doesn't mean they won't pop in to your life, or you won't need to talk to them/need their help about something. Hence why I think they added a friend/acquaintance type deal. If you're filtering people out of your friends list, I would think you need to take into consideration "how likely is it that I won't be significantly talking to this person ever again, or meet up with them at some point"
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

I haven't met anyone on here personally. But like I edited in my last post, the vast majority of friends I have on my facebook account are just people I vaguely remember from high school and a couple from before that.

Pirate700
That was your choice to add them then. I, personally, have 73 friends. And I would bet that I've seen 60 of those people in the past year in person. They are all either family or close friends. There are probably 3 people in there that I knew in high school. I just don't see how anyone that is posting on OT can criticize Facebook. If it's a waste of time using a medium to talk to your friends and family, then what are you getting by posting about it on here?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

@EngrishMajor But you mostly don't learn anything. OT can be quite educating at times.

GazaAli

obviously you dont understand the level that average Americans converse on. every conversation in the us takes humanity steps closer to ascension, growing our cognitive knowledge of any number of fields simultaneously, from chemistry to philosophy, from physics to martial arts, and everything in between. its a shame you dont live here bec....

*gets struck down for being a liar, a filthy filthy liar*

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#54 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm not interested in Facebook and that stuff. I've talked to old friends from school - they brag their ordinary lives up to the sky and I feel like I have less in common with them than any random stranger.

If I want to be friends with someone I do it in real life. For internet friends, seems I can meet people with similar interests who are actually normal on the message boards.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#55 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

No your probably not, but there isn't anything wrong with someone having a facebook nor is there anything wrong with not having one. Niether one makes you "unique" or "cool" lol. I have a facebook just to keep in touch with family members and some friends, but I don't take it seriously like some people do. I know some people who spend HOURS on facebook and I think that's a bit unhealthy.

There are also those annoying drama people aswell who just want to get attention from people so they post dumb things that don't concern you but they think people should care. You know like "Justin and sara just broke up" well I'm friends with you not justine or sara, those are your friends so I don't care, so why are you telling me?

Overall I just use facebook just casually like I'll ask a friend if he wants to see the new movie this weekend on facebook and that's about it. It all comes down to how people use it, some people take things too far. Although one good thing about not having a facebook is you don't have creepy cyber stalkers trying to find you on there. Also I often get the feeling that alot of my friends on facebook lie about their lives, because when we do stuff in real life it doesn't seem like they are as happy as they sounded on there. So that's another plus of not having one.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I'm not into it either, but having a FB is becoming convenient when logging into websites.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

@EngrishMajor But you mostly don't learn anything. OT can be quite educating at times.

surrealnumber5

obviously you dont understand the level that average Americans converse on. every conversation in the us takes humanity steps closer to ascension, growing our cognitive knowledge of any number of fields simultaneously, from chemistry to philosophy, from physics to martial arts, and everything in between. its a shame you dont live here bec....

*gets struck down for being a liar, a filthy filthy liar*

lolz oh yea this is how the average American converse on.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I'm not into it either, but having a FB is becoming convenient when logging into websites.

soulless4now
and dangerous perhaps? I never do it, its just an incredibly easy way of linking the same person to these different websites.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I have a Facebook, but I barely use it. I find it much more interesting to post on here than talk to anybody on FB...

nadersalem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 nadersalem
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
nope your not the only person in the internet world not have Facebook twitter , i have 1 account on twitter but rarely tweet lol
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I use it because thats literally the only way I can get a hold of people. I'd prefer email and phone calls if other people were still into that stuff. But thats sooo 3 years ago.
Avatar image for XiaolinPrincess
XiaolinPrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 XiaolinPrincess
Member since 2006 • 7907 Posts
TC is nonconformist, TC is cool.GazaAli
This. I also don't have a Facebook.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

GazaAli
and dangerous perhaps? I never do it, its just an incredibly easy way of linking the same person to these different websites.

But sometimes it makes applying for scholarships easier when needed so it doesn't bother me.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
TC is nonconformist, TC is cool.GazaAli
:lol: TC thinks hes the only person in the world or what.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

There are a few people left who don't have a Facebook. If you don't want one, don't get one. I find it fun, but I don't imagine it being a new requirement for being human.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
I'm a minimalist at heart and I tried to get into it but it was too much effort that was going to waste and in a ironic way had me glued to screens rather than socializing with the people around me. Grey_Eyed_Elf
You can't always socialize with people around you 24/7. lol.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

I'm proud that I don't have a FB-account.

People complian about EA, when Facebook are the real spies.

Avatar image for invisibletearsx
invisibletearsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 invisibletearsx
Member since 2009 • 997 Posts

I recently disabled my Facebook because I didn't like it at all.

And I don't intend to reactivate it. And Twitter confuses me S:

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
i recently joined FB. I was against it , but now i see its actually very good! Its the easiest place to chat and find your friends from school.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#70 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Seems that everyone who's in the internet these days has a facebook account. Am I the only one who hasn't have one? I searched my classmates from 3 schools, and I could see everyone there. I was the only one who's not.

I go to the internet to get news on new games visit gamespot,read wikipedia pages about history, post youtube videos of me trying to making music. that's all.. ;D

solely

i dont have a fb or w/e

just gamespot thats it..

facebook and its powers of social networking single handedly destroyed my family. facebook isnt healthy to associate with imho get far away sir/ma am if you know whats healthy for you.

id also like to point out that for the longest time they gathered and sold your personal data to companies (in fact they still do where they can, and fail to clearly say that to you anywhere (unless you count fine print of their jargon EULA))

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
I had a facebook account before but I deleted it as I didn't really do anything on it. I use twiiter though.
DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

I have a facebook, but I only use it like once or twice a week. I was liking it at first, but then got quickly bored of it. It was same type of posts every day: 'going to class,' 'going to work-out,' 'spending the day with my baby,' 'like this comment if you...,' 'party time,' *pictures of what they ate*, etc. Rarely did they post something interesting or meaningful for that matter.

fanatic_4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 fanatic_4k
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Seems that everyone who's in the internet these days has a facebook account. Am I the only one who hasn't have one? I searched my classmates from 3 schools, and I could see everyone there. I was the only one who's not.

I go to the internet to get news on new games visit gamespot,read wikipedia pages about history, post youtube videos of me trying to making music. that's all.. ;D

solely
Social networks play a big part in nowadays Internet life man, but they're not the whole story. Fact is you're here chatting with people in this forum means you're a part of the Internet social life :) You know what, social networks are a more advanced level of forums and groups. That's it.
vguy555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 vguy555
Member since 2007 • 4625 Posts

I have a facebook account, but I don't really use it much. It is a pretty good way to contact ppl since so many ppl have facebook accounts, the only time I really post is when I leave birthday messages lol.