all articles about captain marvel on gs locked ?!?!!?

Flyin3lvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Flyin3lvl
Member since 2013 • 3173 Posts

this is the weirdest period of time to be witnessing from fake reviews . fake scores . review bombs , cover ups and A LOT of censoring even gamespot have disabled the comments on those articles like all with captain marvel just have up votes

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

They just don't want the hassle. Frankly I'm bored of the whole debate.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Flyin3lvl: How are the reviews and scores fake?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Don't agree with it, but I can understand it. A lot of the comments will be about the actresses opinions than the movie itself.

Shutting off comments on a whim is a big no no.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Well that sucks i love to comment and read comments

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

The cult-like mentality of sexless young men. Incels, MGTOW, Red Pill... My generation, guys like this just became recluses or joined marching band. Now they have an internet community to join and organize their loneliness into unconstructive bullshit like campaigning against Captain Marvel.

I have a friend who is borderline incel, and he obsesses over woman-hating crap like this. Funny story, a woman moved into the condo unit below him and left him a plate of cookies and a note introducing herself to the community, pretty sure she did it to everyone in the building. She’s chubby but still okay looking. For an entire week all he could talk about was how amazing she was (didn’t even know her), and about all of the strategies he was planning to use to score a date with her.

His entire foundation of “f*** women - they are good for nothing” was abandoned literally INSTANTLY due to one plate of cookies he found on his door mat after work. That’s all it took.

These people are a joke. It’s just deflected loneliness. Fragile.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

Don't agree with it, but I can understand it. A lot of the comments will be about the actresses opinions than the movie itself.

It saves us mods a lot of work.

Look up reviews made by women to get an idea what they are like.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@horgen said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I know it sucks, but I'd rather you do the work.

If these people are a problem, breaking the rules, harnessing woman, then I don't get the point of shutting specific articles, then happily allowing them to post in others, probably incensed. If they have a bad attitude there, I doubt it will evaporate.

Does the front-page really get that many comments? I think the most I've seen is 60, with an average of 2-12, discounting deleted comments.

Flyin3lvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Flyin3lvl
Member since 2013 • 3173 Posts

@horgen: users review bombing sites , putting in low scores on purpose to make a point and some are reviewing the move badly without going to see it .....

nothing to do with this site just whats been happening in general

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

If these people are a problem, breaking the rules, harnessing woman, then I don't get the point of shutting specific articles, then happily allowing them to post in others, probably incensed. If they have a bad attitude there, I doubt it will evaporate.

Does the front-page really get that many comments? I think the most I've seen is 60, with an average of 2-12, discounting deleted comments.

I avoid comments on articles most of the times. My impression is though that certain topics (and also woman reviewers) seems to attract quite a lot of nasty attention. There are almost always users who take their disagreeing with an article or review by attacking whoever reviewed it, or an actress in the movie in the case of Captain Marvel. Some articles get a lot of comments. Is there any point in letting them stay open when half the comments are deleted and some users banned? Sorry for the incoherent rambling.

@Flyin3lvl said:

@horgen: users review bombing sites , putting in low scores on purpose to make a point and some are reviewing the move badly without going to see it .....

Oh forgot people do that these days. More and more it seems this is not the age of information. It is the age of disinformation.

Ogden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Ogden
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

How are the reviews and scores fake?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@horgen said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I avoid comments on articles most of the times. My impression is though that certain topics (and also woman reviewers) seems to attract quite a lot of nasty attention. There are almost always users who take their disagreeing with an article or review by attacking whoever reviewed it, or an actress in the movie in the case of Captain Marvel. Some articles get a lot of comments. Is there any point in letting them stay open when half the comments are deleted and some users banned? Sorry for the incoherent rambling.

Yes. The point for leaving them open is to allow the users who aren't acting up the freedom of discussing what they want to discuss. Also, people who don't know there are controversies that surround certain topics won't know why they can't post anything. It's not fair to legitimate users. Also, let users post material that will get them banned so you're weeding them from the community. I know disabling comments saves you mods work... but you guys are there to do these things... If GS finds the current moderation team can't handle the workload, they need to increase the size of the team. Hell, I'll gladly come back to the team SPECIFICALLY to mod article and review comments if it means keeping them open for promoting free discussion. I'm dead serious about that. But whomever's calling the shots on disabling comments needs to understand that it's not a good look...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:

Yes. The point for leaving them open is to allow the users who aren't acting up the freedom of discussing what they want to discuss. Also, people who don't know there are controversies that surround certain topics won't know why they can't post anything. It's not fair to legitimate users. Also, let users post material that will get them banned so you're weeding them from the community. I know disabling comments saves you mods work... but you guys are there to do these things... If GS finds the current moderation team can't handle the workload, they need to increase the size of the team. Hell, I'll gladly come back to the team SPECIFICALLY to mod article and review comments if it means keeping them open for promoting free discussion. I'm dead serious about that. But whomever's calling the shots on disabling comments needs to understand that it's not a good look...

I also think they should be open for comments. I do understand why they are closed though. I'm not entirely sure who takes the decision to lock them.

@ogden said:

How are the reviews and scores fake?

I asked the same question. Here is the answer I got.

@Flyin3lvl said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I'm pretty sure its like that all over the internet. Big Disney money paying people to shut down criticism.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't mind it so much as long as there are clear spaces to talk about these things, where opinions and ideas that are considered 'wrong'/unpopular/painful/etc. are tolerated. Without that, you cannot have discourse about something political or sensitive. It's important to be able to criticize and scrutinize arguments and stances if there is to be some form of discussion or learning. (And maybe, in a more ideal world, to keep the ideas separate from the people proposing them instead of insulting each other.)

@Flyin3lvl said:

(There are also fake high scoring reviews. There are some high scoring reviews that are copy pasted dozens of times, upvoting each other. I've never been all that worried about the fake scores, because it's usually pretty easy to tell them all apart. And it's a way for people to make a statement who don't have much of a voice otherwise.)

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@horgen: Rottom Tomatoes was caught removing thousands of megative reviews for the movie yesterday. It is quite shocking. Google it or check YouTube. It’ll blow your mind.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

You know it’s a slow news week when something this stupid gets the media into a frenzy.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Baconstrip78 said:

The cult-like mentality of sexless young men. Incels, MGTOW, Red Pill... My generation, guys like this just became recluses or joined marching band. Now they have an internet community to join and organize their loneliness into unconstructive bullshit like campaigning against Captain Marvel.

I have a friend who is borderline incel, and he obsesses over woman-hating crap like this. Funny story, a woman moved into the condo unit below him and left him a plate of cookies and a note introducing herself to the community, pretty sure she did it to everyone in the building. She’s chubby but still okay looking. For an entire week all he could talk about was how amazing she was (didn’t even know her), and about all of the strategies he was planning to use to score a date with her.

His entire foundation of “f*** women - they are good for nothing” was abandoned literally INSTANTLY due to one plate of cookies he found on his door mat after work. That’s all it took.

These people are a joke. It’s just deflected loneliness. Fragile.

I'm sure that people like that exist. Although I don't think they are likely representative of larger groups like Red Pill or MGTOW. Luckily most people with critique are not going to be like that. Your post reminded me of "The Strong Female Character Paradox" (YT). (About perpetual hate and the pushing of a narrative over fact, and turning the group of the 'offenders' into something as large as possible, encompassing anyone who thinks critically and empathically.)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@horgen said:

@Flyin3lvl: How are the reviews and scores fake?

Sites are full of fake reviews, there are as many people giving it 10's are there are people giving it zeros, it's neither, The difference is that 10 scores aren't getting deleted from sites like Rotten Tomatoes. I literally saw several reviews saying (paraphrasing) It's not the best movie they ever seen and giving it a score of 10.

Complete trash on all sides the median is 50 to 60 which is probably fairly accurate, going on the unbiased reviews I've read.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@horgen said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I'd argue that it's not really a whim if you know that a shitstorm is stirring based on things that don't even have to do with the movie people are complaining about. It's like if people were essentially able to shield themselves from the entire gamergate controversy and save themselves a lot of trouble that has nothing to do with themselves.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@Baconstrip78: As a person who was in the marching band I'll say that it actually gives you a lot of interaction with many different people and is overall a good choice for people who are socially awkward. Hanging around in an internet bubble with like minded people that you can't actually see isn't all that great for if you have hateful beliefs of others.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Baconstrip78

@Serraph105: I completely agree. I went the isolationist art-class route and didn’t gain the life-required social skills until probably junior year of college. My band friends were far more equipped to handle socializing in undergrad than I was.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Baconstrip78

@KungfuKitten: Yeah...whatever you’re selling I’m not buying. Go on to any YouTube comments section for “Men Going There Own Way” and you know what you will see? Men not going there own way but rather obsessing about women. It’s literally all they talk about.

Women make life worth living. Just ask any incel right before he offs himself.