Alien: Covenant trailer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59380 Posts

Bit eh.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

You know it's going to be bad/boring when they need to show so many death scenes in a trailer.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I felt betrayed after watching that amazing PROMETHEUS trailer with the epic music. Movie turned out meh :(

I will wait for the movie to release rather and give my opinion then :)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17699 Posts

Hopeful, but Prometheus was awful. Low expectations for this.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23063 Posts

I enjoyed Prometheus myself, so I'm looking forward to this.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44577 Posts

I enjoyed Prometheus and this trailer looks pretty cool so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this movie.

RonThallsBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RonThallsBalls
Member since 2016 • 348 Posts

Yeah, does look like more of the same, but I enjoyed Prometheus and this doesn't look like it'll be as shitty as the Alien vs. Predator movies.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@uninspiredcup: +1

The trailer does seem a little bit not interesting, I hope this movie won't become another milk the money title.

I think along with this movie they're filming Prometheus 2.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

I feel its almost like the zombies where the viewers know its zombies but the characters don't so they do the same mistakes repeatedly. Like the one guy whose obviously bitten by a zombie and the group lets him back in until he turns and attacks everyone.

Pretty much a zombie movie with sci-fi setting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Trailer is bad and Prometheus was hot garbage lol. I have 0 faith in Ridley Scott.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@PredatorRules said:

@uninspiredcup: +1

The trailer does seem a little bit not interesting, I hope this movie won't become another milk the money title.

I think along with this movie they're filming Prometheus 2.

I think this is the sequel to Prometheus 2, while the District 9 guy is doing a sequel to Aliens 2, disregarding the other movies. Personally I liked both Aliens 3 and Prometheus, both movies have issues but I don't think they are terrible.

Good retrospective.

Loading Video...

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I loved Alien, I loved Prometheus and I have every reason to believe I will love this even though the trailer does little for me. As far as Ridley Scott movies go I'm most psyched for Blade Runner 2.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

I'm...cautious. The trailer looks interesting, but I said the same thing about Prometheus. The studio must have faith in this move, being that they bumped it from August to May.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

@uninspiredcup: While Alien 3 wasn't my favorite you have to give credit to David Fincher as the director of his first feature film. 28 years old, 50 million budget 7 million already spent and unfinished script.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

I can understand some hesitation on the ending product, but the from the trailer itself it looks amazing.

That said, people who have seen it already have said its basically "Prometheus Redux" to be more of an Alien movie.

Personally i enjoyed the first one and id like to see what was originally planned for the second movie in the series, but this seems awesome enough.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@Skarwolf said:

@uninspiredcup: While Alien 3 wasn't my favorite you have to give credit to David Fincher as the director of his first feature film. 28 years old, 50 million budget 7 million already spent and unfinished script.

The Alien saga as a whole is rather fascinating when it comes to directors. It started with Ridley Scott, then James Cameron, then David Fincher. Resurrection being directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. And AVP was directed by Paul Anderson (not a great director but definitely knows how to make action movies).

Not many movie series can tout directors like that, especially before they were major directors.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I think the guy's back is breaking because it's an Alien Queen, which takes most of the spine and body of it's host. /theory

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I get the feeling this is going to follow the same path that the new Star Wars took.

It's presented as the next chapter, but it's actually a re-make in disguise, because the scenes in that trailer definitely reminded me of the first Alien film.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

@xdude85 said:

I get the feeling this is going to follow the same path that the new Star Wars took.

It's presented as the next chapter, but it's actually a re-make in disguise, because the scenes in that trailer definitely reminded me of the first Alien film.

I understand this, and much like Star Wars its going to make nods to the original film with sly references and parallels, which is totally fine.

Its whether they take over the entire film (Episode 7) or whether it contributes to an entirely new product that will matter, and hopefully it will be the latter.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

You know, I'm really thinking that this franchise has worn out its welcome. Is there anything to offer than ANOTHER group of people landing on ANOTHER planet and then discovering the Aliens and getting slaughtered?

On te plus side, despite the crappiness of Prometheus, this still has a chance of being the third best Alien related movie ever made. Why? Well, for starters, the franchise is generally considered to be garbage, with only two genuinely good entries, the last of which was released way back in 1986. Secondly, despite how this looks generic and derivative as hell with nothing to add, we at least know that Ridley Scott can still sometimes release something that is TECHNICALLY good, with good pacing, good cinematography, good acting, etc.

I have little hope of this movie being the least bit interesting. He tried that with Prometheus, Prometheus sucked, this trailer just looks like he gave up on trying new stuff and decided to just do more tired old Alien slasher antics.

Having said that, it could still be at least technically competent and a decent waste of two hours. Which is more than I can say about the majority of Alien related movies. So9 yeah...I'm keeping my hopes WAY down, but I'll probably still give this a chance unless it comes out and it's pretty much unanimous that it's garbage.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

You know, I'm really thinking that this franchise has worn out its welcome. Is there anything to offer than ANOTHER group of people landing on ANOTHER planet and then discovering the Aliens and getting slaughtered?

On te plus side, despite the crappiness of Prometheus, this still has a chance of being the third best Alien related movie ever made. Why? Well, for starters, the franchise is generally considered to be garbage, with only two genuinely good entries, the last of which was released way back in 1986. Secondly, despite how this looks generic and derivative as hell with nothing to add, we at least know that Ridley Scott can still sometimes release something that is TECHNICALLY good, with good pacing, good cinematography, good acting, etc.

I have little hope of this movie being the least bit interesting. He tried that with Prometheus, Prometheus sucked, this trailer just looks like he gave up on trying new stuff and decided to just do more tired old Alien slasher antics.

Having said that, it could still be at least technically competent and a decent waste of two hours. Which is more than I can say about the majority of Alien related movies. So9 yeah...I'm keeping my hopes WAY down, but I'll probably still give this a chance unless it comes out and it's pretty much unanimous that it's garbage.

Geezer, just out of curiosity, would you list your top 10 favorite movies here. doesn't have to be horror or sci/fi, just your all time favs.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer

@VaguelyTagged said:

Geezer, just out of curiosity, would you list your top 10 favorite movies here. doesn't have to be horror or sci/fi, just your all time favs.

Hmm...I honestly don't have an answer for that. I'd be hard pressed to even try making a top 10 list because I know I'd be forgetting a bunch of things and be like, "oh crap, I forgot that one; that changes the list entirely." But additionally, even if I were willing and able to put in the thought to come up with a list that I thought was correct, that list would probably change the next day.

I just really don't have a list of top 10 favorites. And even if I did, I don't particularly have the desire to think about which 10 I hold above the rest.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VaguelyTagged

@MrGeezer said:
@VaguelyTagged said:

Hmm...I honestly don't have an answer for that. I'd be hard pressed to even try making a top 10 list because I know I'd be forgetting a bunch of things and be like, "oh crap, I forgot that one; that changes the list entirely." But additionally, even if I were willing and able to put in the thought to come up with a list that I thought was correct, that list would probably change the next day.

I just really don't have a list of top 10 favorites. And even if I did, I don't particularly have the desire to think about which 10 I hold above the rest.

ok just give me a few movies that you think are great at this very moment. doesn't have to be a fixed list.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrGeezer

@VaguelyTagged said:

ok just give me a few movies that you think are great at this very moment. doesn't have to be a fixed list.

Okay, right off the top of my head, Unforgiven, 12 Monkeys, City of God, The Fly (Cronenberg version), Goodfellas, and Rushmore.

EDIT: by no means are those my favorites, and the fact that I listed them over others does not necessarily mean that I prefer them over others. These are just a few movies that came to mind pretty quickly, and I really love them.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VaguelyTagged

@MrGeezer said:
@VaguelyTagged said:

Okay, right off the top of my head, Unforgiven, 12 Monkeys, City of God, The Fly (Cronenberg version), Goodfellas, and Rushmore.

EDIT: by no means are those my favorites, and the fact that I listed them over others does not necessarily mean that I prefer them over others. These are just a few movies that came to mind pretty quickly, and I really love them.

I see, thanks, and I don't know why you are being so strict about naming a few movies. I for one have changed my opinion on some movies that I had either hated or liked after a while or after a second watch so I understand that a list of favs isn't necessarily permanent.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Same guy from Assasins Creed, lets hope this one is way better.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

They teased the Xenomorphs too much in my opinion. I mean, we get it, we know what they look like, and we pretty much know how Alien movies work. Just give us a little something to see, damn.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup

Alex gets it. I think.

Loading Video...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl

@MrGeezer said:

I'm not so sure. The strength of Alien was largely the mystery surrounding the whole story. They did a great job setting up the framework of a lifecycle for the organism and hinting, at it's origins. Aliens kind of ruined that by turning it into a straight up action movie and paving the way for the derivative slasher pics of the future.

Prometheus attempted to regain that grounding of the original. While it seemed to do too much and got caught up in the groundwork it was attempting to lay, I can appreciate the fact that it was attempting to return to some of what made the original special. We know that he's capable of making a movie that can do it well, he just needs to execute. Now that the foundation of the prequel story is laid, perhaps he won't forget to actually put a movie in it this time :-P

Anyway, TL;DR - The premise shows promise, and I'm holding out hope that it will be good.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58532 Posts

I am excited.

Sometimes I feel like the only mofo in the world that enjoyed Prometheus and Alien 3, two movies in the franchise that people kind of disliek (I even liked Alien 4, but I will admit that was not the best). I'm still not sure where Prometheus fits in; I've read it's not an official movie in the Alien franchise, but...it is? Copyright issues or something. I don't know. But to me it is an Alien movie and this new one will bridge the gap perfectly...I hope.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

@mattbbpl said:
@MrGeezer said:

I'm not so sure. The strength of Alien was largely the mystery surrounding the whole story. They did a great job setting up the framework of a lifecycle for the organism and hinting, at it's origins. Aliens kind of ruined that by turning it into a straight up action movie and paving the way for the derivative slasher pics of the future.

Prometheus attempted to regain that grounding of the original. While it seemed to do too much and got caught up in the groundwork it was attempting to lay, I can appreciate the fact that it was attempting to return to some of what made the original special. We know that he's capable of making a movie that can do it well, he just needs to execute. Now that the foundation of the prequel story is laid, perhaps he won't forget to actually put a movie in it this time :-P

Anyway, TL;DR - The premise shows promise, and I'm holding out hope that it will be good.

I enjoy both approaches to the films, tbh.

Alien was, as stated above, an excellent movie because of the mystery. You have this mysterious planet and you stumble across this alien ship, guy get's infected and while you're trying to think about the planet and wtf is going on BOOM! chestburster and now an alien is hunting people in the shadows. It's great because it is not in your face.

Conversely, you have Aliens, and while I love Aliens, it exploits the whole mystery of xenomorphs for thrills and action. And that's fine, but it took the ball and ran in the opposite direction which is exciting but might alienate (hurr hurr) some people.

I guess you need to ask yourself this: what is an Alien movie to you? Is it mostly psychological horror with a bit of gore, like Alien? Sci-fi action, like Aliens? Or is it a gorey slasher-fest (with an alien instead of a murderous villain) like Prometheus and Alien Ressurection?

I like to think it can be anything it wants, provided it is done well.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25 said:

Alien was, as stated above, an excellent movie because of the mystery. You have this mysterious planet and you stumble across this alien ship, guy get's infected and while you're trying to think about the planet and wtf is going on BOOM! chestburster and now an alien is hunting people in the shadows. It's great because it is not in your face.

Conversely, you have Aliens, and while I love Aliens, it exploits the whole mystery of xenomorphs for thrills and action. And that's fine, but it took the ball and ran in the opposite direction which is exciting but might alienate (hurr hurr) some people.

I guess you need to ask yourself this: what is an Alien movie to you? Is it mostly psychological horror with a bit of gore, like Alien? Sci-fi action, like Aliens? Or is it a gorey slasher-fest (with an alien instead of a murderous villain) like Prometheus and Alien Ressurection?

Yeah, agreed completely given it's history. Aliens is still a good alien movie, and I do enjoy it. It's just not as special in my mind. The industry is full of action movies and sci-fi-action movies, but the slower paced mysterious stuff is a harder sell and I just appreciate that kind of thing because it's more rare.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Interesting. I take it this movie means The Corporation knew about the Alien species long before Ripley and the Nostromo crew encountered them in Alien 1.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer

@mrbojangles25 said:

Oh, I agree that a "good" Alien movie can be anything it wants as long as it is well-done. And like I said, Ridley Scott's output is hit-or-miss, but he's still definitely capable of making a well-done movie. So I have a realistic hope that this COULD be one of the better Alien movies. Even if it's sort of generic and the same old thing, it could be done well enough that it still makes for an enjoyable watch. After all, I certainly don't expect every "good" movie to reinvent the wheel. Those Marvel movies are safe and formulaic as hell, but they're usually done well enough that I can watch them once, feel like I got my money's worth, and then never have a desire to watch them again.

What I will say is that even though Alien was at heart a standard slasher film in space, the mystery was ABSOLUTELY one of the film's strongest aspects. Simply discovering the Alien was fascinating as hell. And the fact that the film ended with so many unanswered question (especially concerning that derelict spaceship and ITS relationship to the Alien) was just wonderful. Like, the tone there was disturbing as hell. Because even though Ripley survived the Alien encounter, all of those unfathomable horrors are still waiting out there. Watch Alien again. It TOTALLY leaves open the plot point about the eggs on LV-426. But that doesn't feel like setting up an ominous sequel, that seems to be just reinforcing an overall theme that we're alone in an unimaginably terrible dark place, and that unspeakable horrors will always be waiting for us if we only dare to seek them out.

Alien handled that aspect magnificently, I'd argue that it is one of the greatest things about the movie.

Then Aliens happened and a bunch of Marines just shot a bunch of Aliens dead. Then Alien 3 happened and it was just another Alien killing people. Then Alien Resurrection happened and wtf?! Don't worry about the AVP movies, I don't even consider them to be "real" Alien movies. Then Prometheus happened. And while Prometheus had some things to like about it, I absolutely loathe that movie. Why? Because even though Aliens set the precedent for turning the Alien into just a semi-mindless creature to be slaughtered and thereby demystifying the terror associated with it, all of the other Alien movies left everything else about Alien intact. When Aliens ends, there's not only the unanswered questions about what happened to the eggs that the company was DEFINITELY smuggling off of LV-426 (my personal theory, but I'll go into it if you need me to), but Aliens didn't even attempt to answer the question of where the Aliens came from. Alien 3, despite its many complaints, didn't even attempt to answer where the Aliens came from. Alien Resurrection, despite being goofy as hell, didn't even attempt to answer where the Aliens came from.

Point being: ALL of the sequels, despite their varying levels of shittiness, at least were satisfied with just churning out more Aliens and leaving the BIG QUESTIONS alone. In other words, regardless of how shitty the various sequels were, they knew that they were too shitty to tackle the BIG QUESTIONS. Then Prometheus happens, and Ridley Scott goes back to the Aliens' origins and shows more of the "Space Jockeys". And despite probably churning out a more technically competent Alien movie than anything since Aliens, he completely shat the bed by bringing up stuff that no one needed to ever know about and in the process making the entire conceptual universe seem smaller and a lot more stupid. At least Alien 3 and 4 were just bad movies that happened to have Aliens in them. Whereas Prometheus thought it was smarter than it was, and turned the unknowable Space Jockeys into Big Blue Beefcakes and tied the Aliens into something about some Mysterious Magical Black Goo that apparently has no concrete rules and just does random shit whenever it comes into contact with something and why the hell am I watching this, and how the hell is this BETTER than just never knowing anything about this crap?

Hell, at least if Alien Covenant ends up being JUST another standard old boring Alien movie, it could at least be technically competent enough to be some stupid mindless entertainment for 2 hours. That'd arguably be preferable to the movie thinking that it's smarter than it is and in the process making the whole concept of the franchise more small and boring than the lesser entries ever did.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrbojangles25

@MrGeezer: I never really thought of Prometheus that way, but you do make some really good points. I totally agree with your theory of Weyland-Yutani smuggling the eggs in the original film; you don't send a mining ship to explore some planet lol.

Again, I'm not really sure Prometheus is an actual Alien title* because I heard it was when they started up, but then for some reason they withdrew the Alien license (or something like that) in the beginning of production and they essentially had to come up with their own alien and creations.

But then here comes Alien: Covenent which isan actual Alien movie (title, and the Alien they not-so-subtly showed, says it all), and clearly ties together Prometheus with the rest of the Alien franchise; you've got David (Fassbender) the android obviously having a major role, plotting like a villain in some ivory tower.

I don't know what to make of it. I'm hopeful, though. I love each and every Alien movie, even if they suck. Honestly the only Alien installment I disliked was the Colonial Marines game :P

----------------

*Well, Prometheus does exist within the universe of Alien films according to Scott. But it's not a prequel. So we have to assume it is a story that runs parallel (but also 30+ years before) the original Alien movie/s. My biggest issue is that while there is mystery to the original movie, we do know some things, specifically about the life-cycles and some of the origin of the Aliens:

1. In the original Alien film, you've got the space jockey (which we now know are the giant milky-skinned humanoids) ship that crashed and you have the classic alien eggs on it, people get infected, alien get's born, and so forth

2. In prometheus, you have a similiar setup, but instead of eggs you have vases with the black ooze (which we can assume is a biological-mechanical compound used as a WMD by the space jockeys, but also for other purposes. World building? World seeding? Terraforming?)

I think that is my main objection (the inconsistency between 1 and 2), but at the same time if you keep an open mind, it is a chicken and egg analogy. What came first? We know the queen comes along and lays eggs and facehuggers come out and you know how the rest happens.

But who/what made the first queen? Or facehugger? Is that what Prometheus was trying to explain? Is the trilobyte the proto-facehugger, and the Abbot alien (the weird sort-of-Geiger-but-not-really-Geiger alien at the end of Prometheus) the proto-Queen?

And why are there cases of ooze on one ancient Space Jockey ship, but traditional eggs on the one in Alien (which is also ancient)

----------------

TL;DR: I guess what I am trying to ask/prove is this: are the events in Prometheus the "patient zero" of the Alien life cycle? While allegedly not a direct prequel to Alien, is Prometheus essentially where the alien was born? The movie takes place about 30 years before Alien, and given the extreme evolutionary speed of aliens, it's not impossible to propose that the "primitive" alien and trilobyte shown in Prometheus evolved into the alien we know in the Alien movies.

It's a wild guess, but I think Alien: Covenant is going to be more of a prequel type movie. I think the end will have us back on LV-426.

**Damn I'm thinking too much about this. But Alien was my first scary movie, and a sci-fi one at that; it started my love affair with sci-fi horror films long ago. My mom and I watched it when I was like 10 years old, I can't believe she let me do that lol.

--------------

***Well apparetly LV-426 and LV-223 (Prometheus) are two of the three moons orbiting the planet Calpamos, so I guess their proximity to eachother makes things a bit more interesting.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: I think you've illustrated the Prometheus Alien/Aliens conundrum quite well - If Scott wants to make another Alien movie like Alien rather than Aliens, he has to do some more exploring. He has to provide some answers to existing mysteries and create new ones of his own. Clearly, some of the choices he made regarding what to answer and what to leave unanswered didn't sit well with fans, but you can't just let them chew over the same question and answer set they've been mulling over for decades.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I'm optimistic. Prometheus was pretty dumb when you put any thought into it but it wasn't terrible to watch. Ridley Scott usually only does really, really good films so I'm hoping that one was an anomaly and the rest will be decent.

-Byshop