Academic problem:What would you do to me, and what would you do if you were me?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

So I'm in my first year as a Media student and I finished 7/8 classes. The last class I failed miserably so I took it again. Doing class again,  I had an assignment, this one was worth 40% of my mark. I ended up again a paultry score.

Here's the catch. I handed in my assignment with 3 out of 5 parts to it. I accidentally forgot to staple the other parts. I did send an e-copy to the lecturer on the same day (with everything) but he was still staunch in his position on the matter. To him I simply did not hand in a hard copy with all the work. Currently, this mark, is forcing me to gain something like 67%+ for the upcoming exam.

I've brought this up with the higher ups of the institution, and they so far don't seem to want to intervene against another lecturer, but there is still hope. Of course, it is in the lecturers right to stand by what he said, what he's done is fair and what I did was my fault.

I'm very likely going to fail this class twice, and once because of basic human error. This means, I would have taken, a further two semesters .... with only advancing in one single class. This is absolutely defeating to me, and its difficult to for me to accept it.

So my question to you is, if you were this lecturer, would you exercise leniency? Another question you might want to answer is, what should I do in this situation? Also, does anyone have any similar stories?

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

So I'm in my first year as a Media student and I finished 7/8 classes. The last class I failed miserably so I took it again. Doing class again, I had an assignment, this one was worth 40% of my mark. I ended up again a paultry score.

Here's the catch. I handed in my assignment with 3 out of 5 parts to it. I accidentally forgot to staple the other parts. I did send an e-copy to the lecturer on the same day (with everything) but he was still staunch in his position on the matter. To him I simply did not hand in a hard copy with all the work. Currently, this mark, is forcing me to gain something like 67%+ for the upcoming exam.

I've brought this up with the higher ups of the institution, and they so far don't seem to want to intervene against another lecturer, but there is still hope. Of course, it is in the lecturers right to stand by what he said, what he's done is fair and what I did was my fault.

I'm very likely going to fail this class twice, and once because of basic human error. This means, I would have taken, a further two semesters .... with only advancing in one single class. This is absolutely defeating to me, and its difficult to for me to accept it.

So my question to you is, if you were this lecturer, would you exercise leniency? Another question you might want to answer is, what should I do in this situation? Also, does anyone have any similar stories?

greenskittles

study, it's all you can really do.

If you can't get a 70 on an exam (on your second try no less) there is no real help for you.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

So I'm in my first year as a Media student and I finished 7/8 classes. The last class I failed miserably so I took it again. Doing class again, I had an assignment, this one was worth 40% of my mark. I ended up again a paultry score.

frannkzappa

If you can't get a 70 on an exam (on your second try no less) there is no real help for you.

This... If you you struggle to get a 67% (2% above failing...) in a first year course on your second attempt at it, then wtf jack.

No offense, but you seem pretty out of it.  How do you only print up and hand in 3/5 of an assignment?  Especially when said assignment is worth 40% of your grade.  I don't see how it is possible to accomplish that.

Edit: And if I were the lecturer in this, no, I would not be lenient.  How can you expect someone to be lenient when you can't even be bothered to hand in 40% of an assignment?  Failing to hand in 2/5 of an assignment is far from basic human error.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44724 Posts
I'd keep arguing with administration, that's horrible that they'd fail you over a small mistake after retaking the class. If you retake the class a third time, see if another teacher does the same class.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 greenskittles

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

Squeets

This... If you you struggle to get a 67% (2% above failing...) in a first year course on your second attempt at it, then wtf jack.

No offense, but you seem pretty out of it.  How do you only print up and hand in 3/5 of an assignment?  Especially when said assignment is worth 40% of your grade.  I don't see how it is possible to accomplish that.

Huh? No I need to get 50% to pass. I'm saying I need 67+ in my exam to get to 50% (an overall unit pass) with my current assignment marks.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

So I'm in my first year as a Media student and I finished 7/8 classes. The last class I failed miserably so I took it again. Doing class again,  I had an assignment, this one was worth 40% of my mark. I ended up again a paultry score.

greenskittles

Don't be so casual about your education.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

greenskittles

Huh? No I need to get 50% to pass. I'm saying I need 67+ in my exam to get to 50% (an overall unit pass) with my current assignment marks.

Damn.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

greenskittles

No offense, but you seem pretty out of it. How do you only print up and hand in 3/5 of an assignment? Especially when said assignment is worth 40% of your grade. I don't see how it is possible to accomplish that.

either way if you can't ace an exam ON YOUR SECOND TRY... then there is a problem.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Let me see if it got this right. You send in well over half of your exam and expect your lecturer to accept the second half of it by email after you could easily cheated? I'm not saying you did, but how is he to know you didn't fill out the last part later on with some good old "help"?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

greenskittles

I wish I could have gotten less than 70% and passed my classes.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 greenskittles

Let me see if it got this right. You send in well over half of your exam and expect your lecturer to accept the second half of it by email after you could easily cheated? I'm not saying you did, but how is he to know you didn't fill out the last part later on with some good old "help"?

valium88

No, I sent it at the same time. Before class. The time/date is there.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 valium88

That's FUBAR, I feel for you.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

GummiRaccoon

I wish I was. It may be easy to not believe me, but I made sure I did everything I could to get strong marks this time around for eg. I saw two different study advisors. 

Except, of course make not actually making sure I handed in all my work -__-

I'm not asking for anyone feel sorry though. I just want to know, would people would do if they were the lecturer, and/or what I should do to proceed with the situation (other than study)

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

greenskittles

I wish I was. It may be easy to not believe me, but I made sure I did everything I could to get strong marks this time around for eg. I saw two different study advisors.

Except, of course make not actually making sure I handed in all my work -__-

I'm not asking for anyone feel sorry though. I just want to know, would people would do if they were the lecturer, and/or what I should do to proceed with the situation (other than study)

Well everything is your fault (sorry to be so harsh) so just the fact that they let you take a class a second time should have been enough.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Squeets

valium88

How is it FUBAR? How is the institution at fault in anyway here?

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#16 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

greenskittles

And as other people have said - if you can't 70% or better on a first year course having done the course twice then you aren't cut out for study - go get a job flipping burgers at McDonalds or something more suited to you.

18 years ago when I was an Uni I was hitting 80-90% scores on my third year courses!

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts
Stop drinking alcohol.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 valium88

[QUOTE="valium88"]

Squeets

How is it FUBAR? How is the institution at fault in anyway here?

I merely said it's **** up, read to it as you will, I'm not saying the school is wrong.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

greenskittles

If I had an assignment that's 40% of my total grade, I'd put that at the top of my "absolutely do not screw up" list. I would make sure it got done and done properly, ready no later than the day before submission so I can do a last minute review/proof read.

You said you submitted an e-copy. But, you never mentioned submitting a hard copy of the missing parts. You never mentioned making an attempt to submit them to him or his office before the end of the school day. Most professors I've seen allowed me to submit a paper without penalty so long as they're still in the campus that same day. Surely you could've gone to a computer lab somewhere and printed out the missing parts. Heck. I'd go to Kinko's and pay for a hard copy if I have to.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

jun_aka_pekto

If I had an assignment that's 40% of my total grade, I'd put that at the top of my "absolutely do not screw up" list. I would make sure it got done and done properly, ready no later than the day before submission so I can do a last minute review/proof read.

You said you submitted an e-copy. But, you never mentioned submitting a hard copy of the missing parts. You never mentioned making an attempt to submit them to him or his office before the end of the school day. Most professors I've seen allowed me to submit a paper without penalty so long as they're still in the campus that same day. Surely you could've gone to a computer lab somewhere and printed out the missing parts. Heck. I'd go to Kinko's and pay for a hard copy if I have to.

I didnt know it was missing in the hard copy until i got my assignment back.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

greenskittles

That tells me you didn't check your hard copy prior to submission. You need to work on your organization and force yourself to get things done before submission day so you can have plenty of time to doublecheck the hardcopy. It sucks especially if you're loaded with courses. But, if you do it enough times, it becomes second nature.

Standard practice for me is to get my assignments/projects done no later than the day prior to submission. If I can submit it early and get it out of the way, so much the better especially if I'm backlogged with other assignments. Sometimes, I'll get a project and have a month to get it done. I'd get it done in two weeks and submit early (if the professor will let me) so I don't have to worry about it. I used to have the same problem as you chasing deadlines. I got tired of it and became more proactive.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

That tells me you didn't check your hard copy prior to submission. You need to work on your organization and force yourself to get things done before submission day so you can have plenty of time to doublecheck the hardcopy. It sucks especially if you're loaded with courses. But, if you do it enough times, it becomes second nature.

Standard practice for me is to get my assignments/projects done no later than the day prior to submission. If I can submit it early and get it out of the way, so much the better especially if I'm backlogged with other assignments. Sometimes, I'll get a project and have a month to get it done. I'd get it done in two weeks and submit early (if the professor will let me) so I don't have to worry about it. I used to have the same problem as you chasing deadlines. I got tired of it and became more proactive.

Believe me, I'm gonna mandate that i never leave even a single punctuation mark left to do on an assignment on the final day of submission after this. Ever.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I personally am a little more flexible when it comes to electronic submission for my students, but I have colleagues who still demand hard copies. If it's in the syllabus that a hard copy is required, there is no resona to accept anything else from the student. You would only have grounds for some kind of intervention process if the instructor is suddenly changing the rules on you.

If this really is the second time you are taking the class and you need it to finish, you should have paid more attention to what you were handing in. Forgetting parts of a project that is worth so much is pretty inexcusable. It shows a lack of dedication and organization.

I know that's brutal honesty, but that's how I see it, as a teacher.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

GummiRaccoon

I wish I could have gotten less than 70% and passed my classes.

Yeah, in my trades college all the courses require exams be passed with a 65%. Which makes sense I suppose, if you can't get at least around 3/4s of an exam right in the specific field you are studying, maybe it's not for you..
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Well technically the fault lies with yourself for not being responsible enough to turn in a simply assignment on time and with the required material. That's like me taking a test and saying uhh I just didn't do that last page of the test so he shouldn't have graded it. When you get an assignment do the whole assignment and turn in everything that is required of you, it's not all that difficult.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#27 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

You're really worried about getting below a 67% on a first year class? 50% is passing? That tells me that you did pretty badly on the 3/5 of the project or whatever that you did turn in. I dunno man maybe college isn't for you.

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
What's so hard about earning a D+ on the next exam? Is this a course that prides itself on forcing students to reconsider their college majors? Is it supposed to be the most difficult course in your major?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I'd be lenient, but that's just me.  If this professor doesn't want to then he doesn't have to.  He also might be taking your past history and possibly attitude in class into consideration, which I really can't comment on.  Also, getting a 70 on an exam shouldn't be all that hard.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

If I was the prof, I'd consider some leniency for most students, but not for one who already failed the class before.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Find a trade school.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
What's so hard about earning a D+ on the next exam? Is this a course that prides itself on forcing students to reconsider their college majors? Is it supposed to be the most difficult course in your major?megam
I have a college degree and I'm not sure I've ever received a D on anything? Maybe on a random test that I forgot to study for but so long as you study for something a D is an extremely easy grade to get.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 greenskittles
Im not sure what the system is in america but here, we in Australia we have mostly 3 year degrees, and 50% is i believe standard for passing mostly everything.
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
If your failing as a "media" student then I don't even know what to say. your probably better off just becoming a waiter at this point, it will save you thousands in the tuition money that will be wasted on your awful major. You will most likely be a waiter or something similar after you graduate. why not start now?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

You better study hard, next time don't fvck up

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cain006

[QUOTE="megam"]What's so hard about earning a D+ on the next exam? Is this a course that prides itself on forcing students to reconsider their college majors? Is it supposed to be the most difficult course in your major?ferrari2001
I have a college degree and I'm not sure I've ever received a D on anything? Maybe on a random test that I forgot to study for but so long as you study for something a D is an extremely easy grade to get.

Eh depends on the class. For example in my physics class last semester, the average was in the 30s. I think a 40% or so earned you a B however, but yeah nobody really learned anything from that class because the teacher was terrible and the tests were way too hard.

wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wellbigd
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

greenskittles
No lie, the almost same thing happened to me the only difference is, because of my mistake I got a B instead of an A.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

if you try your hardest a 67% is easy to obtain.And if an assignment is worth 40% of my mark I take it seriously.I was close to failing a couple of my university classes and I ended up passing them at the end of the semester.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
In this situation, I would be lenient. You should explain your situation and then apologize for your error with the complete assignment. If your lecturer continues to refuse to alter your grade, request assistance from the superintendent of the course.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

greenskittles

After the class is over if you fail, you should file a formal appeal. Failing a student that did the work and knows the material for forgetting to staple something is f*cking moronic.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="megam"]What's so hard about earning a D+ on the next exam? Is this a course that prides itself on forcing students to reconsider their college majors? Is it supposed to be the most difficult course in your major?cain006

Eh depends on the class. For example in my physics class last semester, the average was in the 30s. I think a 40% or so earned you a B however, but yeah nobody really learned anything from that class because the teacher was terrible and the tests were way too hard.

I thought my 71A in my physics class was ridiculous. At least I learned something.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] I have a college degree and I'm not sure I've ever received a D on anything? Maybe on a random test that I forgot to study for but so long as you study for something a D is an extremely easy grade to get. Guybrush_3

I thought my 71A in my physics class was ridiculous. At least I learned something.

Really? 70 is about the average in most of my classes. I don't see why you would be surprised to see a 70% average to be ridiculous.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]Eh depends on the class. For example in my physics class last semester, the average was in the 30s. I think a 40% or so earned you a B however, but yeah nobody really learned anything from that class because the teacher was terrible and the tests were way too hard.

cain006

Really? 70 is about the average in most of my classes. I don't see why you would be surprised to see a 70% average to be ridiculous.

The fact that I made as low as a 71% and still made an A in the class surprised me. The fact that your class was that much worse is insane.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="greenskittles"] I didnt know it was missing in the hard copy until i got my assignment back.greenskittles

Believe me, I'm gonna mandate that i never leave even a single punctuation mark left to do on an assignment on the final day of submission after this. Ever.

Well, don't overwork or overfocus either unless you want tunnel vision and burnout. Most assignments and projects have a checklist of requirements that need to be satisfied to get a passing grade. Proper punctuation comes with practice. Missing parts are best noticed by going over your finished work. That means allocating time before submission. Better grades come with how well you meet the requirements in the assignment checklist.

Me? I practice proper punctuation everywhere. I make plenty of mistakes too (just like anybody here). But, I do my best to catch and correct them whether at work, class, or here at GS. I don't have an alter ego that can talk the internet lingo. I don't want one either because it might rub off at work and class. :lol:   

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 greenskittles

Well I got my answer. Nope and nada from the school.

The only concession they gave me was an extra 30 minutes exam time =(

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 frannkzappa

Well I got my answer. Nope and nada from the school.

The only concession they gave me was an extra 30 minutes exam time =(

greenskittles

study hard bro

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

Guybrush_3

The fact that I made as low as a 71% and still made an A in the class surprised me. The fact that your class was that much worse is insane.

Oooh okay. Didn't understand what you meant. Yeah a 71 being an A is ridiculous. But yeah in that class, the best grade on the test was usually about 70% and only about 3-4 people in a 50 person class got above 50%. Everyone did so poorly that they're letting us retake the class for free.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6858 Posts

Study hard for the test. Finish all other assignments. Very simple. His response, and that of the higher ups is typical of real world. The burden lies on you, so take it more seriously.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

either way if you can't ace an exam ON YOUR SECOND TRY... then there is a problem.

frannkzappa
You should try taking some high level maths and computer sciences. Then again they don't reuse the same exams in college ever, and they're likely not even similar especially if you have a different professor.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

So I'm in my first year as a Media student...greenskittles

You already failed at academia and life. Retire while your student loans aren't too high, yet.