Absolving rape victims of all responsibility. (TL;DR)

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wubikro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wubikro
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts
Why do people want to completely take away responsibility from the victim, I think that has to do with backlash from the slut shaming that tends to happen when rape cases are discussed. Some people probably feel like if they even suggest that a person should be careful of their clothing choice or actions then it validates all of the people who think only sluts get raped, and that tends to make people think "be responsible about your actions" means "don't be a slut." Its a shame, because I think it could really help society to teach people good practices in keeping yourself safe, instead of just saying "rapists are awful people and there is nothing you can do to avoid getting raped." No one asks to get raped and no one deserves to get raped, but in certain situations, there are common sense decisions that people can make to reduce their chances of getting raped. Now to clarify, I'm only applying my argument to certain cases of rape, not all of them. Similar to murder (self-defense, manslaughter, etc) each rape case is different and therefore each one should be approached and analyzed differently. Imagine someone walking down into a poor neighborhood at night while decked out in expensive clothes and jewelry. No one asks to get mugged, but the chances of that person getting mugged are significantly higher because of the choices they've decided to make. The blame for the theft lies solely on the thief, but the person walking down in the ghetto at night is responsible for putting themselves into that position, even if they don't want to get mugged. They don't deserve to get mugged either, but they're putting themselves into a position where their chances of getting mugged are exponentially higher than normal due to the decisions they're making. They're consciously putting themselves into a vulnerable position, which is of their own doing. But like I said, that doesn't mean they deserve to get mugged nor does anyone ask to get mugged, but there are common sense decisions you can make to reduce your chances of getting mugged, such as not putting yourself into these positions in the first place. Its like leaving your car doors unlocked while something valuable is inside as you go shopping. You aren't asking for your stuff to get stolen, but the chances of it happening are higher than if you had just locked the car doors. Now imagine someone clicking on one of those Nigerian scam emails and having their money stolen, would you say the person that clicked on the email is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position to have their money stolen? The person that clicked on the email isn't responsible for the theft itself, its the fault of the person that sent the email alone, but the person that clicked on the email is partially responsible for putting themselves into the position to have their money stolen. Similarly, common sense would dictate that getting intoxicated past the point of consciousness at some party with a bunch of guys you might or might not know while wearing loose clothing isn't the smartest thing to do. Absolving rape victims of all responsibility when something like this happens teaches them that they didn't do anything wrong, which isn't entirely true. The rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into that position of vulnerability in the first place by ignoring common sense decision making, thus they're partially responsible for putting themselves into a position where the chances of them being raped is exponentially higher than normal. They didn't ask to get raped and they didn't deserve to get raped, but they did get raped because of the poor decisions they made and a serious lack of common sense that could've helped prevent it in the first place. The rape was absolutely the rapists fault alone, but the rape would've never occurred if the rape victim had made common sense decisions to begin with.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I agree (though what does the "TL; DR" mean?). I guess another analogy would be a soldier not taking proper care of his rifle (cleaning it, etc.), and then if his squad get's attacked, his gun might not fire properly and he might get hit (or a squadmate could get hit). People have to realize that there are consequences to their actions and they should think things through and prepare.

Also I liked your point about drinking and passing out at a party. Another thing I would advise people against is going to a date with someone you meet online in a private place (say the person's house) rather than some place where there are a lot of people (say a restaurant).

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
i agree
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

While I do find all the bitching about rape painful to read I don't think it was ever referred to schoolgirls who get drunk. Why did you feel like mentioning this particular case?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Now to clarify, I'm only applying my argument to certain cases of rape, not all of them.wubikro
You mean like "legitimate" rape?

This thread is dumb

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I'm just sort of curious what the point of all this is. If someone's house gets robbed because they left the front door unlocked, what does "absolving them of responsibility" even entail? How exactly are you gonna hold that person responsible? The outcome is exactly the same whether you absolve them or responsibility or not. They still freaking got robbed, the only thing you can do about it is go "haha dumbass, I guess you should have locked your door." And that doesn't actually do anything other than make you look like an ass. He knows he should have locked his door, rubbing it in doesn't exactly help matters or make things any better.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

This thread is dumb

Aljosa23
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts
Have I gone back in time where we think it's because of clothes that rape occurs? :|
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Have I gone back in time where we think it's because of clothes that rape occurs? :|LJS9502_basic

Actually the funny thing is that rapists do tend to take clothing into account, however it isn't whether the clothes are too sexy or whatever, but rather, how easy it will be to get them off, so tend to avoid women wearing belts and will go after women wearing loose fitting sweatpants, dresses, and what not.

Clothes don't cause the rape, but influences who the rapist will target.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Have I gone back in time where we think it's because of clothes that rape occurs? :|GummiRaccoon

Actually the funny thing is that rapists do tend to take clothing into account, however it isn't whether the clothes are too sexy or whatever, but rather, how easy it will be to get them off, so tend to avoid women wearing belts and will go after women wearing loose fitting sweatpants, dresses, and what not.

Yeah....I'm going with you just pulled that out of your ass.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Around 70% of (non-prison) rape cases happen with the rapist being a friend, a relative, or a former boy/girlfriend. The specific scenarios you are describing are the minority and fairly rare. Most rapes occur in homes after being invited.

So to advocate that rape victims shouldn't be absolved of responsibility is a stupid generalization, when most rape victims are not walking around in dark alleys with skirts and expensive jewelery, and is extremely moronic.

This thread is bad, and you should feel bad.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

I agree

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

...abunchofdumbbullshit...wubikro

You sir, are an idiot.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Have I gone back in time where we think it's because of clothes that rape occurs? :|LJS9502_basic

I learned it in a sociology class.  This isn't the source I got it from but it supports my claim:  http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/are-you-prey-for-a-rapist-part-i-of-ii/

wubikro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wubikro

While I do find all the bitching about rape painful to read I don't think it was ever referred to schoolgirls who get drunk. Why did you feel like mentioning this particular case?

N30F3N1X
I felt like addressing this particular scenario because a lot of people feel the need to absolve all rape victims of all responsibility, even though in certain situations (like this one) there are common sense decisions that could be taken to exponentially reduce someone's chances of being raped, or mugged, or scammed. To reiterate though, I'm not saying we should blame the rape victims for the rape itself or that the rapists are somehow less responsible. The rapists alone are responsible for the rape, and they deserve the death penalty as far as I'm concerned. I'm just saying that in certain situations (not every situation) the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability due to a lack of common sense decision making. Like I said though, each rape case is different and therefore each one should be approached and analyzed differently. I'm only applying my argument to certain cases of rape, not all of them.

[QUOTE="wubikro"]Now to clarify, I'm only applying my argument to certain cases of rape, not all of them.Aljosa23

You mean like "legitimate" rape?

This thread is dumb

Are you saying that every rape case is the same?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I learned it in a sociology class.  This isn't the source I got it from but it supports my claim:  http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/are-you-prey-for-a-rapist-part-i-of-ii/

I hope you didn't get a good grade on that.....
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

TL;DR please

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic

I'm just saying that in certain situations (not every situation) the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability due to a lack of common sense decision making wubikro
Victim blaming....disgusting.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

wubikro

I felt like addressing this particular scenario because a lot of people feel the need to absolve allrape victims of all responsibility, even though in certain situations (like this one) there are common sense decisions that could be taken to exponentially reduce someone's chances of being raped, or mugged, or scammed. To reiterate though, I'm not saying we should blame the rape victims for the rape itself or that the rapists are somehow less responsible. The rapists alone are responsible for the rape, and they deserve the death penalty as far as I'm concerned. I'm just saying that in certain situations (not every situation) the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability due to a lack of common sense decision making. Like I said though, each rape case is different and therefore each one should be approached and analyzed differently. I'm only applying my argument to certain cases of rape, not all of them.

You are contradicting yourself.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BossPerson

[QUOTE="wubikro"] I'm just saying that in certain situations (not every situation) the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability due to a lack of common sense decision making LJS9502_basic

its not exactly victim blaming, as in the victim should be punished. If a girl walked through a group of gangbangers (no pun intended) wearing a mini skirt and a low cut shirt, she has some responsibility for the rape simply because she put herself in such a bad situation. The people who disagree with TC must think that all men can be made into angels who will all respect women and such, but that is never going to happen. If someone can be called stupid for walking through a favela wearing gold chains and a rolex watch and getting robbed, then I dont see why a woman couldnt be called stupid for walking through a group of sketchy/aggressive low life men and then getting raped or assaulted. Obviously this shouldnt take away any of the punishment or blame on the man, and it shouldnt mean the girl should get punished.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Yeah....I'm going with you just pulled that out of your ass.LJS9502_basic

I hope you didn't get a good grade on that.....

Got an A.  

Do you seriously think that teaching women ways that they can keep themself safe is somehow misogynistic?

I don't get it, it's like people want to keep women in the dark so that they have perpetual targets on their back.  

"No it's cool, go out wearing sweats that are 2 sizes to big, and talk on your cell phone and don't make eye contact with anyone, don't worry about bringing pepper spray either, we'll just teach men to not be rapists"

If it was just as easy as telling people not to rape, not to abuse people, not to rob or mug that we would have already solved those problems?

When I go to bad neighborhoods, particularly in san francisco, I make sure not to have my cell phone out, walk with purpose and make sure to look at everyone.  

I have a friend that doesn't do this, he was walking to the BART station at balboa park and was on his cell phone, not paying attention, he was greeted by a man at gunpoint and got mugged, stole his phone, wallet and watch.  

I'm not saying that he was to blame for getting mugged, but had someone taught him ways to help keep himself safer he probably wouldn't have been mugged at gunpoint.  

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

By this faulty logic why don't we blame black people for being victims of racism and discrimination? Or dead people for being victims of murder?

How exactly does "dressing" a certain way or flirting often make a girl responsible in anyway for her rape?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="wubikro"] I'm just saying that in certain situations (not every situation) the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability due to a lack of common sense decision making BossPerson

its not exactly victim blaming, as in the victim should be punished. If a girl walked through a group of gangbangers (no pun intended) wearing a mini skirt and a low cut shirt, she has some responsibility for the rape simply because she put herself in such a bad situation. The people who disagree with TC must think that all men can be made into angels who will all respect women and such, but that is never going to happen. If someone can be called stupid for walking through a favela wearing gold chains and a rolex watch and getting robbed, then I dont see why a woman couldnt be called stupid for walking through a group of sketchy/aggressive low life men and then getting raped or assaulted. Obviously this shouldnt take away any of the punishment or blame on the man, and it shouldnt mean the girl should get punished.

Then I guess if a drunk driver runs your family over and kills them.....they are partially responsible for being on the road. See how stupid that sounds?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

then again if my family is walking in the middle of the highway at nighttime, then yes they are partially responsible for getting ran over. 

BossPerson

I think that's a crime 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]its not exactly victim blaming, as in the victim should be punished. If a girl walked through a group of gangbangers (no pun intended) wearing a mini skirt and a low cut shirt, she has some responsibility for the rape simply because she put herself in such a bad situation. The people who disagree with TC must think that all men can be made into angels who will all respect women and such, but that is never going to happen. If someone can be called stupid for walking through a favela wearing gold chains and a rolex watch and getting robbed, then I dont see why a woman couldnt be called stupid for walking through a group of sketchy/aggressive low life men and then getting raped or assaulted. Obviously this shouldnt take away any of the punishment or blame on the man, and it shouldnt mean the girl should get punished.

Then I guess if a drunk driver runs your family over and kills them.....they are partially responsible for being on the road. See how stupid that sounds?

No....because its unreasonable to assume that there's a high probability of harm coming to you for simply driving on the road. On the other hand, its not unreasonable to assume a high probablity of harm (either harassment to theft to rape) by walking through a group of thugs/low lifes while showing a lot of skin or wearing a rolex.

Victim blaming.....like I said. Walking around with a rolex watch should in no way mean you deserve to be robbed. But that is what you are advocating. The person committing criminal acts is solely responsible for said acts. This is such a ridiculous argument. I thought you were more leveled headed than that.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Then I guess if a drunk driver runs your family over and kills them.....they are partially responsible for being on the road. See how stupid that sounds?LJS9502_basic
No....because its unreasonable to assume that there's a high probability of harm coming to you for simply driving on the road. On the other hand, its not unreasonable to assume a high probablity of harm (either harassment to theft to rape) by walking through a group of thugs/low lifes while showing a lot of skin or wearing a rolex.

Victim blaming.....like I said. Walking around with a rolex watch should in no way mean you deserve to be robbed. But that is what you are advocating. The person committing criminal acts is solely responsible for said acts. This is such a ridiculous argument. I thought you were more leveled headed than that.

where did i say you deserve to get robbed or deserve to get raped for putting yourself in a bad situation. I simply said you should be called stupid. Im not defering any responsibility from the rapist/thief

btw, i didnt delete the post because im ashamed of it, but because glitchspot

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]its not exactly victim blaming, as in the victim should be punished. If a girl walked through a group of gangbangers (no pun intended) wearing a mini skirt and a low cut shirt, she has some responsibility for the rape simply because she put herself in such a bad situation. The people who disagree with TC must think that all men can be made into angels who will all respect women and such, but that is never going to happen. If someone can be called stupid for walking through a favela wearing gold chains and a rolex watch and getting robbed, then I dont see why a woman couldnt be called stupid for walking through a group of sketchy/aggressive low life men and then getting raped or assaulted. Obviously this shouldnt take away any of the punishment or blame on the man, and it shouldnt mean the girl should get punished. BossPerson

May I ask, how would an innocent young girl be able to indentify a group of thugs/low lifes on the street? What do they look like?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

i agreeBossPerson

I bet you want things to be like some muslims countries where the victim goes to jail too.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]No....because its unreasonable to assume that there's a high probability of harm coming to you for simply driving on the road. On the other hand, its not unreasonable to assume a high probablity of harm (either harassment to theft to rape) by walking through a group of thugs/low lifes while showing a lot of skin or wearing a rolex. BossPerson

where did i say you deserve to get robbed or deserve to get raped for putting yourself in a bad situation. I simply said you should be called stupid. Im not defering any responsibility from the rapist/thief

If a girl walked through a group of gangbangers (no pun intended) wearing a mini skirt and a low cut shirt, she has some responsibility for the rape simply because she put herself in such a bad situation.BossPerson
This is victim blaming.  And it's disgusting.

wubikro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wubikro

[QUOTE="wubikro"]...abunchofdumbbullshit...worlock77

You sir, are an idiot.

Because I feel people should be held culpable for their actions? The rapists alone are responsible for the rape, but who's responsible for the victim willingly getting intoxicated past the point of consciousness in a room full of people they hardly know? Doesn't mean the person is asking or deserves to get raped, but they're putting themselves into a position where their chances of being raped are exponentially higher than normal. My argument doesn't apply to rape either. If you walk down a bad neighborhood at night while wearing expensive clothing and jewelry, the thief is solely to blame if you get mugged, but you're responsible for putting yourself into that position of vulnerability. If you click on a Nigerian scam email and you give them your financial information, the one scamming you is responsible for the scam, but you're responsible for putting yourself into that position of vulnerability. All of these have something in common, they could've been avoided with common sense decisions. But like I said, I'm only applying my argument to certain cases of rape, not all of them.

worlock77
No I'm not, you're selectively quoting my post to make it seem as if I am. I said the rapist is responsible for the rape alone, and that in this scenario, the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability. Are you unable to make the distinction between the two?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="wubikro"] I'm just saying that in certain situations (not every situation) the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability due to a lack of common sense decision making BossPerson

And the people that agree with the TC must be complete and utter morons; The specific scenarios that he describes are so comically rare as to not even be worth the time to discuss.

Cases of rape occuring from a woman walking in revealing clothing are non-issues. Rape is rarely ever about sexual attraction to the victiim. It wouldn't have mattered what they were wearing in the first place.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BossPerson
so i guess now nobody can be blamed for not being careful in life. Leave all your doors unlocked, dont put a lock on your locker at the gym, flash all the gold you want in the hood, walk through a gang of hells angels while wearing a mini skirt, you can never be called stupid for assuming that everyone around you are moral angels.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Victim blaming....disgusting.

XaosII

And the people that agree with the TC must be complete and utter morons; The specific scenarios that he describes are so comically rare as to not even be worth the time to discuss.

Cases of rape occuring from a woman walking in revealing clothing are non-issues. Rape is rarely ever about sexual attraction to the victiim. It wouldn't have mattered what they were wearing in the first place.

OT never gets that fact.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Victim blaming....disgusting.

XaosII

well im taking about those specific scenarios. Obviously im not talking about rape by family members, clergy, etc. Im not insane.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 worlock77

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]No....because its unreasonable to assume that there's a high probability of harm coming to you for simply driving on the road. On the other hand, its not unreasonable to assume a high probablity of harm (either harassment to theft to rape) by walking through a group of thugs/low lifes while showing a lot of skin or wearing a rolex. BossPerson

Is Glitchspot why it was edited to say something completely different from what LJS's post shows before it was deleted?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]i agreeStorm_Marine

I bet you want things to be like some muslims countries where the victim goes to jail too.

read my posts in this thread. People are misunderstanding my position.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Victim blaming.....like I said. Walking around with a rolex watch should in no way mean you deserve to be robbed. But that is what you are advocating. The person committing criminal acts is solely responsible for said acts. This is such a ridiculous argument. I thought you were more leveled headed than that.worlock77

Is Glitchspot why it was edited to say something completely different from what LJS's post shows before it was deleted?

i though i was writing a new post, but i was editiing it instead. I couldnt get back to my old text....
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]i agreeBossPerson

read my posts in this thread. People are misunderstanding my position.

nah i was joking

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I get what BossPerson means but isn't exactly in good taste to tell a rape victim that "you should have been more careful".

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="wubikro"]

You sir, are an idiot.

wubikro

Because I feel people should be held culpable for their actions? The rapists alone are responsible for the rape, but who's responsible for the victim willingly getting intoxicated past the point of consciousness in a room full of people they hardly know? Doesn't mean the person is asking or deserves to get raped, but they're putting themselves into a position where their chances of being raped are exponentially higher than normal. My argument doesn't apply to rape either. If you walk down a bad neighborhood at night while wearing expensive clothing and jewelry, the thief is solely to blame if you get mugged, but you're responsible for putting yourself into that position of vulnerability. If you click on a Nigerian scam email and you give them your financial information, the one scamming you is responsible for the scam, but you're responsible for putting yourself into that position of vulnerability. All of these have something in common, they could've been avoided with common sense decisions. But like I said, I'm only applying my argument to certain cases of rape, not all of them.

worlock77

No I'm not, you're selectively quoting my post to make it seem as if I am. I said the rapist is responsible for the rape alone, and that in this scenario, the rape victim is partially responsible for putting themselves into a position of vulnerability. Are you unable to make the distinction between the two?

I did not selectively quote you. I quoted your post as is and highlighted the parts where you contradict yourself. If the rapist alone is responsible for the rape then there is no responsibility to absolve the victim of or hold them accountable too. You're simply trying to have it both ways. You want to blame the victim, but you want it to not sound like you're blaming the victime. Accept that this is a stupid thread and a moronic line of thought and move on.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="wubikro"]

You sir, are an idiot.

wubikro

worlock77

Honestly, I am from the camp of "teach women how to avoid becoming victims".  If you truly want to blame someone for a girl not taking precautions for protecting herself, it is entirely her parents fault, especially if she is underage.

If a woman is going somewhere alone at night, she should be aware of her surroundings, have pepper spray handy, stc.

If a woman is going to a party, she should not let anyone handle her drinks but herself and never leave them unattended.  This helps in 2 ways, 1) She isn't going to become as intoxicated if she has to get up and get her own drink, 2) it prevents people from drugging her drink

But your desire to keep saying they are to blame for being raped makes me think you are from some muslim country.

Women are not culpable for their own rapes.  However their safety is their own responsibilty (and that of people who raised her).  teach women before something bad happens, don't call them stupid after it does.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Agreed.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 whipassmt

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

I don't look at this as "victim blaming", I see it as advice. There is nothing wrong with educating people about how to reduce their risk of rape, sexual assault or types of harm.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Exactly.
wubikro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wubikro

I get what BossPerson means but isn't exactly in good taste to tell a rape victim that "you should have been more careful".

Aljosa23
In a world where anyone you meet could be a threat to you and your safety, its important to be careful and be responsible. I'm not necessarily saying that wearing a revealing outfit is being "irresponsible," but sometimes (and I really stress sometimes) you have to really think about what you're wearing and if it could make you an "easy target" like leaving your car unlocked would. I don't necessarily think it can be an outfit alone that can cause someone to become a target, but if you do decide to wear something provocative then make sure you are always careful of what you are doing, what you are eating/drinking, and who you are with. This of course applies to people who dress in normal clothes to a party/etc, but I feel these should apply especially to anyone who wants to be showy. With great power comes great responsibility.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BossPerson

Aljosa23
nobody is saying that you have to tell them anything. Like I said, I dont think that making stupid decisions about your safety around criminals should result in you gettin punished or the offender getting leniency. and of course i am not talking about rapes between family members or clergy. I didnt realized that most of the rapes that occur dont occur under the circumstances that TC described.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 whipassmt

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Have I gone back in time where we think it's because of clothes that rape occurs? :|GummiRaccoon

Also I would say shoe-choice could influence the possibility of a woman being raped or sexually assaulted. I remember reading about some uproar in Britain about a comment relating to a dress and high heels and rape.

Women should be wary that high heels do impede their ability to run away.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Have I gone back in time where we think it's because of clothes that rape occurs? :|whipassmt

Also I would say shoe-choice could influence the possibility of a woman being raped or sexually assaulted. I remember reading about some uproar in Britain about a comment relating to a dress and high heels and rape.

Women should be wary that high heels do impede their ability to run away.

High heels are horrible and women should never wear them anyway.  they are bad for her body, they are bad for her feet, and yes they make her more vulnerable.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
1.) The term "Rapist" needs some revision. We use the same word to describe a person who tackles a woman in a park, beats and rapes her; that we use to describe young teens who're caught having sex underage. If you're 16, and your girlfriend is 15, and the age of consent is 16, and you're caught having sex, you'll get labeled as a "Rapist", and put into the same category as the guy who puts some drug into a girls drink and takes advantage of her. 2.) While I agree that at times "Victim blaming" isn't right, sometimes people put themselves in situations they shouldn't. IE: Girls wearing next to nothing, hitting on men, getting stupidly drunk, and waking up not knowing what they did; or even in situations where it isn't rape, I think we can all agree that even though Zimmerman was defending himself, he put himself in a situation he shouldn't have, which is why people are blaming him for Trayvon's death. Everyone needs to think about their actions.