About life on other planets..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts

One thing I notice as the common argument goes something like this:

"Of course there is, it would be stupid to think we are alone with trillions of trillions of different stars out there"

But I don't think it's a matter of whether life (as we know it) is suitable on other planets, in that case, there is likely to be other planets that are similar to Earth. I think the real question is "how does life start in the first place?"

We don't really know anything about how life begins.

gojays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gojays
Member since 2005 • 1219 Posts
I wonder how long this takes to turn into a religious debate......
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

My brain hurts, thanks alot. It's Sunday!

BrettB7400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BrettB7400
Member since 2007 • 3401 Posts

I think there is life out there. It just depends on your definition of life. It could mean people and aliens for you but for me, life means microscopic organisms and such. Earth is called the Goldilock effect because it requires the right conditions for life to evolve. I'm pretty sure that there are other planets out there that fit the criteria of the Goldilock effect and have life of somesort.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 brandontwb

I think there is life out there. It just depends on your definition of life. It could mean people and aliens for you but for me, life means microscopic organisms and such. Earth is called the Goldilock effect because it requires the right conditions for life to evolve. I'm pretty sure that there are other planets out there that fit the criteria of the Goldilock effect and have life of somesort.

BrettB7400
Microscopic life anywhere is enough to almost prove that intelligent life is out there, because if we find life, that means an infinite amount of other planets could have it. I also think that it's really stupid to make the assumption that we are in the right conditions for life, when clearly it's only the right conditions for how life has already evolved as we know it.
S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

maybe there is another species that dosnt need water and other humanly-earthly things we need

MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

There might be life on other planets. Honestly, we may never know, or, we could find out tomorrow.

KDIDDY78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 KDIDDY78
Member since 2003 • 570 Posts

most likely even in our own solar system saturns moons have exciting possiblities!...i cant wait

Xbxg32000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xbxg32000
Member since 2005 • 1295 Posts

I'm not even going to answer this, considering the word "weather" was used in place of "whether".

Avatar image for deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
deactivated-5c47d700b56ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
Member since 2003 • 8038 Posts
if there is or isnt there is no proof yet. so yes, right now, to our beliefs, we are alone
sense_b12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 sense_b12
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts

wel... im just gonna say what you've all heard before, how can there NOT be life out the when the universe is infinite, there just HAS to be!

KDIDDY78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KDIDDY78

wel... im just gonna say what you've all heard before, how can there NOT be life out the when the universe is infinite, there just HAS to be!

sense_b12

actually the univers is not infinite...there is a edge to the universe:) ...its big but not infinite

sense_b12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sense_b12
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts
[QUOTE="KDIDDY78"]

[QUOTE="sense_b12"]

actually the univers is not infinite...there is a edge to the universe:) ...its big but not infinite

ahhh yeah, the universe is actually expanding isnt it so they say... but if it is expanding, then what is it expanding into?!
KDIDDY78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KDIDDY78

[QUOTE="KDIDDY78"]

[QUOTE="sense_b12"]

sense_b12

ahhh yeah, the universe is actually expanding isnt it so they say... but if it is expanding, then what is it expanding into?!

dark energy:) and tends to pull the universe out

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="sense_b12"][QUOTE="KDIDDY78"]

[QUOTE="sense_b12"]

Nothing. The concept of space only exists within the bounds of our universe. The universe is only "expanding" in the sense that everything is getting farther apart from one another.
KDIDDY78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KDIDDY78

proudlarry is mistaken it is dark enerdy as i previously posted

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ProudLarry

proudlarry is mistaken it is dark enerdy as i previously posted

KDIDDY78
You're mistaken, dark energy is what we're currently using to explain why the universe's expansion seems to be accelerating. Dark energy isn't something that can be "expanded into".
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
I tend to think not, but then again we really don't. We don't know how common it is for life to develop. Plain and simple. And don't let Francis Drake tell you anything different.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

Actually yes we do know some things about how life starts. The basic building blocks of everything can be made from non organic materials. I's just a matter of finding out how those basic building blocks fit together into a form resembling life and what sorts of environments would have to be present to make it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
people talk about other planets not being "suitable for life" which is bs, because what says something needs earth like conditions to live? if bacteria and stuff can live in the bottoms of geysers and at the bottom of the ocean, surely something can live on a planet somewhere.
Soapweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Soapweed
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

The edge of space is a giant mirror. Forever tricking us into believing the universe is infinite.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
[QUOTE="sense_b12"][QUOTE="KDIDDY78"]

[QUOTE="sense_b12"]

isn't it just a figurative thing to say that it's expanding, as in, it doesn't matter if it is or not, it's that vast it doesn't matter?
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BumFluff122

most likely even in our own solar system saturns moons have exciting possiblities!...i cant wait

KDIDDY78

Mars is still a possibility. The water-ice on the planet is over 99% pure.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Life came from space and it was formed out of no where.

Bunch ofparticles colliding together? Borrowing elements from space.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="KDIDDY78"]

[QUOTE="sense_b12"]

sense_b12

We don't know what it's expanding into. It could be expanding into another reality. It could be expanding into nothing. It could be cyclic meaning it is expanding into ourselves.

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#26 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts
Well, according to evolution I believe life starts spontaneously. Look up spontaneous generation of life. Apparently living organisms just form out of non living materials, or something. We on earth have smart scientists and technology to produce "organic" compounds that are not alive and such that if we combine are "supposed" to make something living. Anyways even the most simple single celled organism has like DNA and all those cell organs, which for something so simple that could form all by itself we cannot recreate.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ProudLarry
Well, according to evolution I believe life starts spontaneously. Look up spontaneous generation of life. Apparently living organisms just form out of non living materials, or something. We on earth have smart scientists and technology to produce "organic" compounds that are not alive and such that if we combine are "supposed" to make something living. Anyways even the most simple single celled organism has like DNA and all those cell organs, which for something so simple that could form all by itself we cannot recreate.l0ve
Good job on confusing Evolution and Abiogenesis.
l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 l0ve
[QUOTE="l0ve"]Well, according to evolution I believe life starts spontaneously. Look up spontaneous generation of life. Apparently living organisms just form out of non living materials, or something. We on earth have smart scientists and technology to produce "organic" compounds that are not alive and such that if we combine are "supposed" to make something living. Anyways even the most simple single celled organism has like DNA and all those cell organs, which for something so simple that could form all by itself we cannot recreate.ProudLarry

Umm, sorry. Will you please forgive me and explain what evolutionists believe to be the origin of life?
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="ProudLarry"][QUOTE="l0ve"]Well, according to evolution I believe life starts spontaneously. Look up spontaneous generation of life. Apparently living organisms just form out of non living materials, or something. We on earth have smart scientists and technology to produce "organic" compounds that are not alive and such that if we combine are "supposed" to make something living. Anyways even the most simple single celled organism has like DNA and all those cell organs, which for something so simple that could form all by itself we cannot recreate.l0ve

Umm, sorry. Will you please forgive me and explain what evolutionists believe to be the origin of life?

It is the same as you described it but it is not called evolution. It is caleld abiogensis. Evolution is the adaption of things already alive to their environment. Abiogensis is the generation of living material out of non living material.

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ProudLarry

[QUOTE="ProudLarry"][QUOTE="l0ve"]Well, according to evolution I believe life starts spontaneously. Look up spontaneous generation of life. Apparently living organisms just form out of non living materials, or something. We on earth have smart scientists and technology to produce "organic" compounds that are not alive and such that if we combine are "supposed" to make something living. Anyways even the most simple single celled organism has like DNA and all those cell organs, which for something so simple that could form all by itself we cannot recreate.l0ve

Meh, I hate loaded questions like this.

You can't lump everyone who believes evolution to be true into the same category, and say they all have the same beliefs beyond evolutionary theory itself. The Roman Catholic Church even upholds that Darwinian evolution is a truth. But I can guarantee their explanation for the origin of life is much different from mine.

But you still missed my point.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I'm not even going to answer this, considering the word "weather" was used in place of "whether".

Xbxg32000
oh yippee for you. you found a spelling error. I do wonder what it takes to start life from nothing though.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="Xbxg32000"]

Serraph105

oh yippee for you. you found a spelling error. I do wonder what it takes to start life from nothing though.

Life did not start from nothing. The chemicals and basic constituents that combined to form it already existed.

Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
the best working theory is abiogenesis and protocells. you learn this in grade 12 biology class.... at least.... you should have.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BumFluff122

I'll describe the basics of how abiogenesis could have occurred. DNA is the basic consituent of life. RNA is just a single stranded form almost identical to DNA. Scientists believe that an RNA molecule was the first genetic material. It is known that certain clays have a charged surface. Nucleotides, that are the consituents of RNA, are attracted to this clay and clump together. This enabled the nucleotides to form long chain polymers and form RNA molecules. This clay, it's charge and nucleotides beign attracted to it have all been demonstrated in the lab. RNA could have also formed in frozen salt water. When salt water freezes and ice crystals begin to form the nucleotides get pushed out and become consentrated. Here are a couple videos to exaplin far more indepth from people far more intelligent than me on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWds7djuWo&feature=channel_page

And here is a group of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 l0ve

I'll describe the basics of how abiogenesis could have occurred. DNA is the basic consituent of life. RNA is just a single stranded form almost identical to DNA. Scientists believe that an RNA molecule was the first genetic material. It is known that certain clays have a charged surface. Nucleotides, that are the consituents of RNA, are attracted to this clay and clump together. This enabled the nucleotides to form long chain polymers and form RNA molecules. This clay, it's charge and nucleotides beign attracted to it have all been demonstrated in the lab. RNA could have also formed in frozen salt water. When salt water freezes and ice crystals begin to form the nucleotides get pushed out and become consentrated. Here are a couple videos to exaplin far more indepth from people far more intelligent than me on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWds7djuWo&feature=channel_page

And here is a group of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

BumFluff122
Do you know why we cannot recreate this?
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
Presumably the same way it started on Earth :? Whatever you believe, it doesn't rule out the possibility that aliens exist.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 brandontwb

sense_b12
That's just the point in arguing against. I said that it doesn't matter how many rocks there are out there, but the main question we should ask is 'how does life start?' Bacteria on Mars is enough to assume that life is on other planets.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 brandontwb

[QUOTE="sense_b12"][QUOTE="KDIDDY78"]actually the univers is not infinite...there is a edge to the universe:) ...its big but not infinite

BumFluff122

We don't know what it's expanding into. It could be expanding into another reality. It could be expanding into nothing. It could be cyclic meaning it is expanding into ourselves.

Expanding into another reality? What does that even mean? It sounds really stupid.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Silly TC, the answer is in the Bible!

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 l0ve

Silly TC, the answer is in the Bible!

Murj
Yes, finally someone who speaks the truth.