This topic is locked from further discussion.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

OK, this isn't about how to break the law, but to inform you about a couple of laws here in Georgia where I live. First is the law that police cannot stop you for speeding by using a radar or laser gun if you are going up to 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. Tickets cannot be issued until 11 MPH over when using those instruments. That doesn't mean they can't pace you and give you a ticket as they still can. Next is the so called super speeder law. It is a law that allows for larger fines for excessive speed. This includes over 75 MPH on any two lane road or 85+ MPH on any road or highway. This is a $200 fine over and above what ever else a speeding ticket is for the jurisdiction one gets pulled over in.

This warning is especially meant for out of state drivers as it appears they are getting targeted by certain jurisdictions instead of any driver no matter where from. In Georgia, the posted speed limits on interstates is a max of 70. Doing more than 75 is liable to get you pulled and I have read that there are those who were ticketed for doing 85 even though they had cruise control set for 79.

Now if you do get stopped, do not just pay the ticket if you feel that you were not excessively speeding. Go to court and fight it or you will end up with a notice in the mail that you need to pay the super speeder fine or your license will be suspended, at least in GA and they will tell your state that it has been suspended. Go to court even if that means you have to travel back to GA to fight it.

That said, your best bet is to keep your speed to no more than 75 MPH on the interstate and no more than 5 over on other roads where the posted limit can be up to 60 or 65 MPH.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

IIRC, you used to live in Va. Have you any input on that area by chance?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Or just....I dunno....don't speed?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Why are you telling us this?
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Now we know stuff.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Or just....I dunno....don't speed?

br0kenrabbit

I agree. I normally do the 5 mph over posted speed limit thing. But, sometimes I just do the speed limit. The pressure is much less because everyone simply passes me. I don't have to pay much attention to cops or someone tailgating behind.

funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
Err did Off-Topic turn into driving school while I was gone?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Err did Off-Topic turn into driving school while I was gone?funkadelichika
mhm...will be a written test before you let you drive.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

So, if I follow the speed limit I should be ok. If I don't, I may be pulled over?

Does this crazy logic work outside of Georgia?

Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
Every cop I've ever talked to says the same thing: "Nine you're fine, ten you're mine." Haven't had any tickets since 2003, roughly the time I started utilizing this premise.
funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
[QUOTE="funkadelichika"]Err did Off-Topic turn into driving school while I was gone?LJS9502_basic
mhm...will be a written test before you let you drive.

But I don't have a number 2 pencil! And and I need my lucky troll doll....and and DAMNIT I DIDNT STUDY.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77

IIRC, you used to live in Va. Have you any input on that area by chance?

coolbeans90

The last speeding ticket I ever received was in VA. I was doing something like 42 in a 25, but I can tell you that the speedometer wasn't working so I couldn't tell you how fast I was actually going (Subaru speedo gears are in a difficult place to get to). That was in 92. Typically, cops would give you five over though I didn't know it, but Judge Harvell (now retired), the traffic court judge in Newport News told cops to not write tickets unless it was over 10.

That said, Virginia uses VASCAR and you do not know when you are being timed (it uses time over distance to get one's speed). There are no beams to warn you of being watched for speeding and aircraft will track you and will tell the cop ahead to pull you. Again, though, while not proven, staying below 7 over is where one should stay. Also, watch your speed in Emporia, especially on US 58. The cops there are notorious for pulling speeders.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WhiteKnight77
Why are you telling us this?LJS9502_basic
I was looking something up the other night in relation to the BAC threads that came up and stumbled upon a forum where everyone was moaning about the GA super speeder law and one thing that became apparent, most if not all were out of state that didn't contest the charges and just paid the tickets. Two areas really became noticeable in the enforcement of the super speeder law, one county on I-95 and in the Conyers are on I-20. So I figured, why not help out some of the denizens of OT and warn them about it?
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

tumblr_lpqcnfNjd11qabfx1o1_400.gif.