JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

You may have heard about the guy who bought up a Girl Scout's stash of cookies for 540 dollars to get them out of the freezing cold? Seems like a good dude, right? Did you know he also got arrested a few days later for conspiring to bring drugs into the country?

So yeah... good deed getting the kids out of the cold... bad deed trying to import drugs into the country. Karmic balance not quite achieved.

Anyway, what do you think about bad dudes that do good deeds? Would you rather them not do anything at all and just leave society? Or the good deeds they do have value, even though they cause harm by just existing?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

When I was a waiter, we had criminal elements come in all the time. Pimps, whores, drug dealers, motorcycle gangs - you name it. They were always polite, great tippers, and paid cash. Maybe this was an example of them doing an offset good deed for all the bad things they did? Who knows. But they made the wait staff very happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts
@JustPlainLucas said:

Or the good deeds they do have value

Of course a good deed has value but they don't function like an "indulgence" would where they cancel out other shit.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

When I was a waiter, we had criminal elements come in all the time. Pimps, whores, drug dealers, motorcycle gangs - you name it. They were always polite, great tippers, and paid cash. Maybe this was an example of them doing an offset good deed for all the bad things they did? Who knows. But they made the wait staff very happy.

Going to the US next month, this whole tipping thing is bizarre...

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@THUMPTABLE: Because your country has customs Americans wouldn’t possibly consider bizarre too, right?

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

@THUMPTABLE: Because your country has customs Americans wouldn’t possibly consider bizarre too, right?

Getting more at the incredibly low minimum wages you have.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Makes me wonder if the boxes of girl scout cookies were a part of the drug-smuggling plan.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

So he basically made a charitable donation (sorta) and he participates in capitalism?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I believe that people are more complex than "good" or "bad". I've never met someone that structures their character through such binary moral concepts. I believe that people have their own moral spectrum that's highly contingent on context. Even if the justification for doing something seems petty/insignificant (killing someone innocent because of an inner urge), it's still a decision made by their own "basis" of living. That's why people attempt to view serial killers from their perspective rather than imposing societal rules onto their actions.