A Feast for Crows....what the hell?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

I'm halfway through it, and it's boring me to tears. Honestly, what was Martin thinking when he decided to write about the majority of boring as hell characters as such Brienne and Sam that are so pointless. It's such a bore to read.

I'm thinking of skipping straight to A Dance of Dragons and reading a summary online. Would you recommend this?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

That's pretty much Martin's big problem. He should have focused on the good characters. There is really no excuse for books overlapping like this.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Yah, this. I loved the first three books and then this one is something I can't stand. So many characters you don't even care as PoV. ADWD has the same problems but at least great characters like Tyrion are back.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

For all the attention Martin gets for killing characters he always ends up creating 5 new ones for every one he kills.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShadowsDemon

For all the attention Martin gets for killing characters he always ends up creating 5 new ones for every one he kills.

Storm_Marine
Yeah, 5 boring ones.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Found it hilarious how basically nothing happened until the last couple of chapters. A bunch of filler plot and then bam the end hits. Turned me off of reading the next in the series (considering its not in paperback and costs more).
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
It's probably the weakest book in the series IMO. ADWD has some of the same issues, but the good characters are back. I think Martin needs to learn how to condense his writing. He wouldn't have had to split his writing into the two books if he hadn't written so much boring crap. AFFC get's pretty good near the end. The thing with AFFC is that it is boring until then end, and then the end happens and you get the excitement again that you had in previous books. Also, there are a TON of subtle things that you probably never picked up on when you first read through the book that could have made the reading more exciting. Like the Hound, the identity of the alchemist in the prologue, etc.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShadowsDemon
Found it hilarious how basically nothing happened until the last couple of chapters. A bunch of filler plot and then bam the end hits. Turned me off of reading the next in the series (considering its not in paperback and costs more). Pittfan666
I have the Paperback edition. I'd take a photo if I had to the time :P
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's probably the weakest book in the series IMO. ADWD has some of the same issues, but the good characters are back. I think Martin needs to learn how to condense his writing. He wouldn't have had to split his writing into the two books if he hadn't written so much boring crap. AFFC get's pretty good near the end. The thing with AFFC is that it is boring until then end, and then the end happens and you get the excitement again that you had in previous books. Also, there are a TON of subtle things that you probably never picked up on when you first read through the book that could have made the reading more exciting. Like the Hound, the identity of the alchemist in the prologue, etc.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could write 800 pages of nothing. It's not that hard to cut to the chase a tad faster...
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stanleycup98
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's probably the weakest book in the series IMO. ADWD has some of the same issues, but the good characters are back. I think Martin needs to learn how to condense his writing. He wouldn't have had to split his writing into the two books if he hadn't written so much boring crap. AFFC get's pretty good near the end. The thing with AFFC is that it is boring until then end, and then the end happens and you get the excitement again that you had in previous books. Also, there are a TON of subtle things that you probably never picked up on when you first read through the book that could have made the reading more exciting. Like the Hound, the identity of the alchemist in the prologue, etc.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could write 800 pages of nothing. It's not that hard to cut to the chase a tad faster...

If you noticed (and I'm sure you did), the chapters got substantially longer from AGOT/ACOK/ASOS to AFFC. Like, the differences went form maybe 10 pages to 20 pages. Yet, the same amount of actual plot development occurs in each chapter. So what you are getting is 10 pages of useless information you don't really care about. I can't count how many times Martin described FOOD in intense detail, and he never changed the descriptions.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="stanleycup98"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's probably the weakest book in the series IMO. ADWD has some of the same issues, but the good characters are back. I think Martin needs to learn how to condense his writing. He wouldn't have had to split his writing into the two books if he hadn't written so much boring crap. AFFC get's pretty good near the end. The thing with AFFC is that it is boring until then end, and then the end happens and you get the excitement again that you had in previous books. Also, there are a TON of subtle things that you probably never picked up on when you first read through the book that could have made the reading more exciting. Like the Hound, the identity of the alchemist in the prologue, etc.

If you noticed (and I'm sure you did), the chapters got substantially longer from AGOT/ACOK/ASOS to AFFC. Like, the differences went form maybe 10 pages to 20 pages. Yet, the same amount of actual plot development occurs in each chapter. So what you are getting is 10 pages of useless information you don't really care about. I can't count how many times Martin described FOOD in intense detail, and he never changed the descriptions.

Yeah I did notice.He went on and on about the Drowned God's rituals, how much of a stuck-up b*tch Cercsi was being, and so much about Brienne doing nothing, and worst of all, all the scenes in Dorne. Even Arya's experience was overly detailed. If I read "no one" followed by "you lie" one more time I'm throwing the book out the window.
Avatar image for deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe
deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe
Member since 2004 • 4706 Posts

A Feast for Crows was imo, a chore to read. As it's been said earlier, too many POV characters, overly long chapters, not enough plot moving events. I don't know if I'll even pick up the next one.

At least the HBO series is doing pretty well so far.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShadowsDemon

A Feast for Crows was imo, a chore to read. As it's been said earlier, too many POV characters, overly long chapters, not enough plot moving events. I don't know if I'll even pick up the next one.

xerxes5678
I hope they don't make AFFC into a whole season :|
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

That's why I stick with Tolkien for my fantasy books

play_thegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 play_thegame
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts
i jumped from book 3 to 5 and only picked up FFC afterwards, it helps if you don't actually think of it as a central book like 1, 2 ,3 and 5, but more as an expansion/spin off/ prequel of 5
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] If I read "no one" followed by "you lie" one more time I'm throwing the book out the window.

haha Wait for the 'You know nothing john snow's in the next one
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
[QUOTE="Pittfan666"]Found it hilarious how basically nothing happened until the last couple of chapters. A bunch of filler plot and then bam the end hits. Turned me off of reading the next in the series (considering its not in paperback and costs more). ShadowsDemon

The big paperback type? Those are still like 14 bucks. The smaller paperback isn't coming out until next year based on amazon.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I really hate the amount of new characters he chucks in and just blanks off others for a long time. Even if he made the plot progression snappier it would still be too many characters to focus on, but with George you don't get anywhere.

I get the feeling he wants people to get truly immersed in a realistic fantasy world where - like real life - you do have times where little happens, instead of a rushed plot, more like a slow-paced immersive intrigue.

Avatar image for deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe
deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe
Member since 2004 • 4706 Posts

[QUOTE="xerxes5678"]

ShadowsDemon

They might not. I think I heard that A Storm of Swords was being split into two seasons (not sure where). If that book warranted a split, I'm pretty sure AFFC would get the same treatment as well.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Pittfan666"]Found it hilarious how basically nothing happened until the last couple of chapters. A bunch of filler plot and then bam the end hits. Turned me off of reading the next in the series (considering its not in paperback and costs more). Pittfan666

The big paperback type? Those are still like 14 bucks. The smaller paperback isn't coming out until next year based on amazon.

No, I have the small paperback version. And 16 bucks? is that it? That's super cheap. :shock:
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="xerxes5678"]

xerxes5678

They might not. I think I heard that A Storm of Swords was being split into two seasons (not sure where). If that book warranted a split, I'm pretty sure AFFC would get the same treatment as well.

That's even worse. They should either add it on to another season or skip it entirely. NOTHING happens in the whole book other than a few things...
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I just read the book and I think it is great. Cersei, Jaime, and Brienne are interesting characters. I am not understanding why people are complaining about not enough happening when books are obviously a poor medium for fast-paced action. They are much better suited for character development and very detailed descriptions of events. I have been waiting over 2 months to get to this point in the books so I could post in this thread.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I just read the book and I think it is great. Cersei, Jaime, and Brienne are interesting characters. I am not understanding why people are complaining about not enough happening when books are obviously a poor medium for fast-paced action. They are much better suited for character development and very detailed descriptions of events. I have been waiting over 2 months to get to this point in the books so I could post in this thread.

fail
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Yea, it's not great but try to finish it.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I just read the book and I think it is great. Cersei, Jaime, and Brienne are interesting characters. I am not understanding why people are complaining about not enough happening when books are obviously a poor medium for fast-paced action. They are much better suited for character development and very detailed descriptions of events. I have been waiting over 2 months to get to this point in the books so I could post in this thread.

lol you really liked this thread didn't you? I just finished ADWD and I have to say that was so much better, but ultra boring towards the end...
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

brucewayne69
It's kind of funny, Tolkien has similar issues as GRRM, placing too much detail on useless things (for GRRM it's food, for Tolkien, it's scenery) and filler. But GRRM hasn't written anything nearly as plodding as the Silmarillion. More fully on topic, AFFC is a good book, IMO, if a bit light on action. I happen to like a lot of the characters they focused on in the book, so I was lucky. It's still rather slow, but I saw it as an equivalent to A Game of Thrones in that A Storm of Swords was a climax, and we're back to everything resetting, and a lot of recover/building instead of further climax. It's a sarp fall off from ASoS, but I don't feel it's all that much slower than the first book.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i think a lot of the point of view characters in crows are interesting. it's just that most of them don't come off as important for the story. i mean, [spoiler] brienne is a great character, but the decision to follow her as she searches for arya felt pointless when arya is herself another point of view character and well beyond the scope of her search. and then we still aren't sure about the consequences of her quest even after the twist at the end. [/spoiler] still, it's a great world to be in regardless of how martin moves the plot along, so that alone makes crows worth reading. plus, there's no way some of those chapters aren't setting up big events for books 6 and 7.
svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

brucewayne69
Seriously? The LOTR is more boring than the worst parts of AFFC. On topic: The book is very boring, but at the end it picks up. Cersei's finale is awesome. ADWD has similar issues, though Dany and Tyrion are back.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Yeah, definitely the weakest book of the series so far. I still suggest you get through it as it has some key story elements you don't wanna miss. Dance with Dragons will get you interested again though :).

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadowsDemon
i think a lot of the point of view characters in crows are interesting. it's just that most of them don't come off as important for the story. i mean, [spoiler] brienne is a great character, but the decision to follow her as she searches for arya felt pointless when arya is herself another point of view character and well beyond the scope of her search. and then we still aren't sure about the consequences of her quest even after the twist at the end. [/spoiler] still, it's a great world to be in regardless of how martin moves the plot along, so that alone makes crows worth reading. plus, there's no way some of those chapters aren't setting up big events for books 6 and 7.LoG-Sacrament
Yeah but... [spoiler] For 400 pages Martin describes her doing NOTHING at all. It's boring and pointless until the end. [/spoiler] That's what annoyed me.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

svenus97
Seriously? The LOTR is more boring than the worst parts of AFFC. On topic: The book is very boring, but at the end it picks up. Cersei's finale is awesome. ADWD has similar issues, though Dany and Tyrion are back.

Seriously? LOTR is infinitely better than A Song of Ice and Fire, and pretty much everybody here will admit that. They're different animals. And the Silmarillion is a lot different than aSoIaF, it's more comparable to the Bible than a fantasy novel.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]i think a lot of the point of view characters in crows are interesting. it's just that most of them don't come off as important for the story. i mean, [spoiler] brienne is a great character, but the decision to follow her as she searches for arya felt pointless when arya is herself another point of view character and well beyond the scope of her search. and then we still aren't sure about the consequences of her quest even after the twist at the end. [/spoiler] still, it's a great world to be in regardless of how martin moves the plot along, so that alone makes crows worth reading. plus, there's no way some of those chapters aren't setting up big events for books 6 and 7.ShadowsDemon
Yeah but... [spoiler] For 400 pages Martin describes her doing NOTHING at all. It's boring and pointless until the end. [/spoiler] That's what annoyed me.

the description of "doing nothing" is the mark of an unobservant reader.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]i think a lot of the point of view characters in crows are interesting. it's just that most of them don't come off as important for the story. i mean, [spoiler] brienne is a great character, but the decision to follow her as she searches for arya felt pointless when arya is herself another point of view character and well beyond the scope of her search. and then we still aren't sure about the consequences of her quest even after the twist at the end. [/spoiler] still, it's a great world to be in regardless of how martin moves the plot along, so that alone makes crows worth reading. plus, there's no way some of those chapters aren't setting up big events for books 6 and 7.LoG-Sacrament

I'm very observant, thank you. I'm also a writer. By "doing nothing" I mean that she didn't achieve any goals, didn't accomplish anything, and didn't come within hundreds of kilometres from you-know-who.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Yeah but... [spoiler] For 400 pages Martin describes her doing NOTHING at all. It's boring and pointless until the end. [/spoiler] That's what annoyed me.

I'm very observant, thank you. I'm also a writer. By "doing nothing" I mean that she didn't achieve any goals, didn't accomplish anything, and didn't come within hundreds of kilometres from you-know-who.

Probably because Voldemort is in a different book.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"] the description of "doing nothing" is the mark of an unobservant reader.

Probably because Voldemort is in a different book.

...wut? :|
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
Am I the only one that thought A Feast For Crows was the second best book behind A Storm of Swords? The whole series is fantastic either way, I can't really understand the hatred for the last two books.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShadowsDemon
Am I the only one that thought A Feast For Crows was the second best book behind A Storm of Swords? The whole series is fantastic either way, I can't really understand the hatred for the last two books. dragonball3900
ADWD was great, albeit a bit boring towards the end. I can understand the hate for AFFC though.
Smatmat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Smatmat
Member since 2012 • 48 Posts

You're a fool who has been spoiled by the greatness of Storm of Swords and Game of Thrones. Feast of Crows is an amazing novel if you are actually interested in Martin's world, instead of "whose the next big character that will be killed off" mentality that a lot of readers have. Also you will have no idea wtf is going on in Kings Landing if you skip to Dance.

Smatmat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Smatmat
Member since 2012 • 48 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's probably the weakest book in the series IMO. ADWD has some of the same issues, but the good characters are back. I think Martin needs to learn how to condense his writing. He wouldn't have had to split his writing into the two books if he hadn't written so much boring crap. AFFC get's pretty good near the end. The thing with AFFC is that it is boring until then end, and then the end happens and you get the excitement again that you had in previous books. Also, there are a TON of subtle things that you probably never picked up on when you first read through the book that could have made the reading more exciting. Like the Hound, the identity of the alchemist in the prologue, etc.stanleycup98

"Useless information you don't really caer about" Many people care about that info just saying. The longer the book the better. You would probably prefer some 200 page cookie cutter fantasy which is what most of them look like now adays.

M13L13S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 M13L13S
Member since 2010 • 3819 Posts

A Feast for Crows wasn't my favorite but I still enjoyed it (no Tryion or Jon :cry: ) Some of the characters introduced here aren't bad. Weak point in the series but still a good read.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Yeah but... [spoiler] For 400 pages Martin describes her doing NOTHING at all. It's boring and pointless until the end. [/spoiler] That's what annoyed me.

that's almost exactly what i put in the spoiler tags of my original post, so your response just comes off as nonsensical now.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50619 Posts

AFFC was pretty damn horrible, I'm surprised I stuck with it. You'd be fine skipping to the last few chapters where it gets good.

Don't skip on ADWD though, I absolutely loved that book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

I'm pretty sure Feast for Crows and DWD were meant to be one book but it would have been far too long so it was split in two. I never really got why people dislike it so much. I enjoyed it.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ShadowsDemon

You're a fool who has been spoiled by the greatness of Storm of Swords and Game of Thrones. Feast of Crows is an amazing novel if you are actually interested in Martin's world, instead of "whose the next big character that will be killed off" mentality that a lot of readers have. Also you will have no idea wtf is going on in Kings Landing if you skip to Dance.

Smatmat
I am interested in Martin's world, and I love the books. I just found AFFC boring. Besides, is everyone who has their own opinion a fool all of a sudden?
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
I read all the books back to back and when I got to FFC, I almost stalled. Even though it took me quite a bit longer, I felt it was worth it in the end. About 2/3rds of DwD takes place over the same course of time and its really cool to see how some of the stories interact indirectly.... I must say I thought DwD was a huge improvement. It wasnt SoS good (not much is), but still improved. It seems like what may be FFCs biggest problem is that it had to follow SoS.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ShadowsDemon
I read all the books back to back and when I got to FFC, I almost stalled. Even though it took me quite a bit longer, I felt it was worth it in the end. About 2/3rds of DwD takes place over the same course of time and its really cool to see how some of the stories interact indirectly.... I must say I thought DwD was a huge improvement. It wasnt SoS good (not much is), but still improved. It seems like what may be FFCs biggest problem is that it had to follow SoS. wolverine4262
Yeah it's kinda hard to follow up SoS when so much happened and there wasn't much else to write about...
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 stanleycup98
Once the storylines in ADWD picked up, it got really good. Yeah, not ASOS level, but pretty close. Honestly the thing that I am getting upset with in this series is... Spoilers all books: [spoiler] All the coming back from the dead. One of the main reasons many consider ASOS to be so good is the shock from when Robb died. There was other good parts, like the Mountain/Red Viper fight, Tywin's death, Tyrion's escape, etc., but the shock from Robb dying is biggest part of the book. But after that, it seemed like GRRM didn't want to kill any more characters off. He leads up to their deaths, makes it seems like they are going to die, ends the chapter with them fading out or something, and then they suddenly appear. Brienne? Not dead! Asha? Not dead! Catelyn? Not dead! There are plenty of other examples. He just isn't killing off characters anymore. So then we get to what, in my opinion, was supposed to be the most emotional part of ADWD - Jon's "death". It had been foreshadowed quite a bit, by Melisandre and by the prologue. But the moment came sudden, when it wasn't expected, very similar to Robb's death. Yet, I didn't give a ****. With all the "resurrection" that's been happening, and considering Jon is probably the biggest and favorite character left in the series for many, I know he isn't actually dead. I know he will be back. I don't know how, and I can speculate, but he will be back. If you go read fan forums, the discussion doesn't revolve around if he is dead, it revolves around how he will come back. GRRM has kind of dug himself into a hole. He can't really kill the big characters at this stage, but he wants to put their lives in jeopardy. But it's like when you are watching a movie with a single main character and their life if thrown into jeopardy 30 minutes in. Like, you know they aren't going to die, there are still 2 hours left. So why bother caring? [/spoiler]
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
In response to both Shadowsdemon and stanleycup. I think one of the the big problems with FFC was that SoS killed off so many characters. Because of this, Martin had to bring in new ones that readers just didnt care as much about. In response to the specific argument that not killing off characters is a problem I would say I disagree. They may not be dead but it most cases they are changed radically in some fashion.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50619 Posts

Once the storylines in ADWD picked up, it got really good. Yeah, not ASOS level, but pretty close. Honestly the thing that I am getting upset with in this series is... Spoilers all books: [spoiler] All the coming back from the dead. One of the main reasons many consider ASOS to be so good is the shock from when Robb died. There was other good parts, like the Mountain/Red Viper fight, Tywin's death, Tyrion's escape, etc., but the shock from Robb dying is biggest part of the book. But after that, it seemed like GRRM didn't want to kill any more characters off. He leads up to their deaths, makes it seems like they are going to die, ends the chapter with them fading out or something, and then they suddenly appear. Brienne? Not dead! Asha? Not dead! Catelyn? Not dead! There are plenty of other examples. He just isn't killing off characters anymore. So then we get to what, in my opinion, was supposed to be the most emotional part of ADWD - Jon's "death". It had been foreshadowed quite a bit, by Melisandre and by the prologue. But the moment came sudden, when it wasn't expected, very similar to Robb's death. Yet, I didn't give a ****. With all the "resurrection" that's been happening, and considering Jon is probably the biggest and favorite character left in the series for many, I know he isn't actually dead. I know he will be back. I don't know how, and I can speculate, but he will be back. If you go read fan forums, the discussion doesn't revolve around if he is dead, it revolves around how he will come back. GRRM has kind of dug himself into a hole. He can't really kill the big characters at this stage, but he wants to put their lives in jeopardy. But it's like when you are watching a movie with a single main character and their life if thrown into jeopardy 30 minutes in. Like, you know they aren't going to die, there are still 2 hours left. So why bother caring? [/spoiler] stanleycup98

[spoiler] I'm pretty sure one of the prophecies with Jon was he would die, live as his direwolf, then be reborn as AA [/spoiler]