Zelda: OoT 3DS (This is good and all but..)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

IImean..

I LIKE this game..

but I hate spending so much time doing all these dungeon puzzles.

I can understand some puzzles, but every temple is a 2 hour long puzzles without walkthroughs.

Mind you, this is my first Zelda game.

also, the camera is very bad. even with the L trigger to center the camera. I try fighting monsters in smaller corridors and i get hit because of this.

I guess the type of RPGs I enjoy most are games like the Tales series, FF or Kingdom Hearts.

Can't wait for Tales of the Abyss btw.. anybody know when?

anyways, do you feel the same as I do about Zelda: OoT 3D?

I mena its good! but imm not the puzzle dungeon type of guy. and the story barely sucks me in.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well I personally don't have problems with the camera.

And yeah, dungeon puzzles are a large part of Zelda games. So I guess it's just not your cup of tea tbh.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kocelot

And yeah, dungeon puzzles are a large part of Zelda games. So I guess it's just not your cup of tea tbh.

trugs26

does every zelda game have long puzzles like these?

id much rather spend time being engrossed in the story and a cast of supporting characters..

which is why I loved the Tales games. and the beautiful aesthetics.

for me, Zelda's towns looked very .. dead. the only town i thought was okay waas Hyrule Castke Town.

loserbam828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 loserbam828
Member since 2005 • 1713 Posts

Based on your original post, Zelda just isn't for you. Simple as that.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Dungeon puzzles are the best part of Zelda. I actually wish Ocarina of Time (or any Zelda) had more of them, less combat, and less backtracking all over the world.
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kocelot

loserbam828

well tbh i enjoy it but just not to its full extent as others do.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
Whilst the Zelda games do have some loose story behind them, they're not directly driven by that story. Rather the story is an excuse for the game to exist. The core game involves a freedom to explore and understand the environment, puzzle-based dungeons and side quests that usually involve listening to strangers and understanding their needs. It's a structure that the whole series stands by. It's not like a typical RPG in which their is a heavy and constant developing plot.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

IMO, the dungeons and puzzles are fantastic. The camera didn't bother me either.

The only thing I didn't like was the combat. Felt dated and fighting enemies wasn't as fun as it was in TP.

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts

That's the way Zelda is, the puzzles are a very important part of what makes a Zelda game. Just imagine if it was just hacking and slashing through enemies for 20+ hours, it works on other games but not these.
I also agree with animeguy the combat system in TP was alot of fun compared to OoT's.

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

IImean..

I LIKE this game..

I can understand some puzzles, but every temple is a 2 hour long puzzles without walkthroughs.

Mind you, this is my first Zelda game.

also, the camera is very bad. even with the L trigger to center the camera. I try fighting monsters in smaller corridors and i get hit because of this.

I guess the type of RPGs I enjoy most are games like the Tales series, FF or Kingdom Hearts.

Can't wait for Tales of the Abyss btw.. anybody know when?

anyways, do you feel the same as I do about Zelda: OoT 3D?

I mena its good! but imm not the puzzle dungeon type of guy. and the story barely sucks me in.

Kocelot

zelda is not an RPG game, it is an adeventure

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

This is my first Zelda and I love the puzzles in this game. I agree the camera can be a bit tricky at times. Only major problem I ever had was trying to get myslef familiar with the dungeons.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
It sounds like a user problem. I don't really have problems with it, and if you don't enjoy dungeon puzzles... then I guess that zelda really ISNT for you, because thats most of it.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJ_Lae
I also agree with animeguy the combat system in TP was alot of fun compared to OoT's.Tuky06
Agreed. Ocarina of Time just feels dated. And while I'm glad they included a targeting toggle, I can't believe it wasn't on by default. Having to hold a 3DS trigger is torture.
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Sounds like you need to watch a film instead of playing a game. Or maybe just play an RPG, which Zelda isn't.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

Kocelot

id much rather spend time being engrossed in the story and a cast of supporting characters..

for me, Zelda's towns looked very .. dead. the only town i thought was okay waas Hyrule Castke Town.

Well it is a 15 year old N64 game that was limited to not real voice acting and Midi soundtrack due to cartridges

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
thing is, the formula was refined since OoT. camera isn't that much of a pain in newer games, though i don't remember having camera issues in the few i played of the 3D version. i never really saw what people see in OoT's formula, to be honest. it feels very plain, basic and practically nonexistant through most of the second act. as for puzzles... well that's a dungeon crawler for you. lots of puzzling, some mini bosses and random enemies here and there and a boss at the end.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

Kocelot

The Zelda puzzles are standard in every Zelda game. What you see in OoT is similar across all Zelda's.

Town's do get more life with each new entry to the series, but not dratistically. They generally pretty static, with movement made through sidequests. I think MM did this a little better. WW had a lot of cool islands to visit, but less side questing overall to move along NPCs. TP was much similar to OoT except on a larger scale (although I can't remember much of TP world map/towns, so maybe someone else can help enlighten me/you with this game).

I must also add that this dungeon formula may be changing with Skyward Sword, they have spoke of blending dungeons with the overworld a lot more, thus there is not clear distinction between the two. This is one of the major differences between SS and other Zelda's (and an interesting one at that).

So maybe SS on the Wii will be more your st-yle. Only time will tell.

Hope anything I have said helps.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

loserbam828

Agreed...that is the whole point of a 'Zelda' game IMO (what makes it different)

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

TC is mixing up Action RPGs with regular RPGs.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#20 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I know Zelda can be seen as an RPG, but its really an Action Adventure game. ;)
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DJ_Lae
Actually, thinking about it - Zelda with more RPG elements (like leveling up, a more in-depth loot system for weapons and armor) would be awesome.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS
Actually, thinking about it - Zelda with more RPG elements (like leveling up, a more in-depth loot system for weapons and armor) would be awesome.DJ_Lae
throw away "leveling up" and you have skyward sword. what would a level up do? can't improve health or magic, so it leaves attack and defense. and those are supposed to be handled by gear. unless gear is level-capped, which would turn the game into an annoying grind. and even then, leveling up would make the combat easier, since you're constantly moving around the same areas with the same enemies throughout the game, which means they'd get weaker and weaker until they became just things you have to hit as you pass by, thus making combat pointless. Monster Hunter has proven more than once that you don't need level up to make a good RPG.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DJ_Lae
Monster Hunter has proven more than once that you don't need level up to make a good RPG.BrunoBRS
That's true. I was thinking leveling in the sense of Chrono Cross, where you earned levels at preset points in the game. But I suppose that's not significantly different from earning a heart after beating a boss. I think what I'd like to see (as opposed to an RPG Zelda) is a game that cribs from it but gives it an RPG slant with loot and stuff. Kind of like what Darksiders did, only by borrowing more from God of War on the combat side. But the dungeon structure - that's something I'd like to see more of, as it can be fantastic when done well. I just don't know if the reason we see so little of it is that developers find it difficult, or they just have too much respect for Nintendo to steal it.
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

I have been googling "Tales of the Abyss 3DS NA release date" every day for the last couple of months now. No dice. I'm wondering if it is even coming out.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

IImean..

I LIKE this game..

Kocelot
Really? Are u 12 years old?
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kocelot

[QUOTE="Kocelot"]

IImean..

I LIKE this game..

LJChronx

Really? Are u 12 years old?

what does that have to do with anthing?

Maximus923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maximus923
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts

That's like comparing League of Legends to World of Warcraft based simply on the fact they are MMO's. (J)RPG =/=Action Adventure

TwiddleChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TwiddleChimp
Member since 2011 • 1878 Posts

As others have said, if you don't like the puzzles, then the Legend of Zelda franchise just isn't for you. Puzzles are the backbone of the games.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

Kocelot

Yup, almost all Zelda games are like this, might want to give Spirit Tracks a try though, as it is one of the simpler Zelda games, and you said that OOT 3D is your first Zelda game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BrunoBRS

That's like comparing League of Legends to World of Warcraft based simply on the fact they are MMO's. (J)RPG =/=Action Adventure

Maximus923
league of legends isn't an MMO :|